Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go pro or no?

Options
  • 20-01-2014 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys
    Ive been humming & hawing about getting a go pro for ages now. Hero 3 plus can be had for about 270eur.
    Should i get one?
    I could use it boarding and surfing.
    Does it add a lot to the fun?
    Am I good enough to get one. Im just starting tricks jumps and off piste so I still fall a good bit. Would I be better off waiting til next season?IvI've 2 more weeks with tuition left this season so at the end of that I should be better suited to enjoy a can maybe

Finally there seem to be lots of alternatives out there from cheapy Chinese stuff to Sony's. Any experience with the others that might be a better buy?

Thanks!
    Sorry for all the Q's!
    J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

For chinese stuff check out this link:
    http://www.techmoan.com/

I was looking for the TCL SVC200 but it's very hard to find. Found an ad on DoneDeal for a boxed and sealed ContourRoam2 @110e so went with that. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet but planning on using it for biking/boarding and surfing. Plus you can avoid the teletubby look with these ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Get one, there great craic for watching after the day and back home. Are you good enough depends on what you want to do with the footage. If your thinking millions of youtube views and used in an add for gopro then probably not but there aren't many people that good and there are hundreds of thousands with gopros. Im ****e, I have one I stick some stuff on youtube I don't worry about it if people watch it or not, primary audience is family and friends. I watch plenty of videos of people who aren't that good skiing in areas im going to just to get the lay of the land. I saw a group in my hotel last year all gather around the TV in the bar and have a good laugh at each others footage up on the TV.

You can find lots of uses for them and if you willing to learn you can do cool edits, timelapse, effects etc. on your vids. The free gopro software is very good.

As you said there are lots of action cameras out there. The goprop hero 3+ black is the best technically but its not for everyone. A lot of people hate having to mount it on the front of the helmet. You may not care about the nerd level of difference in quality between it and a cheaper camera or may not need the extras it has over simply recoding video. You will need to weigh up those factors for your self but I woundn't bother with the very cheap knockoffs its not worth it. Some of those even use gopro footage for their advertising. Big plus for gopro is their stuff is well supported and their free software as I said earlier is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

They are great for everything including multi shot still images! Big fan of Go Pros all round as they are the best option out there closely followed by contour.

I would suggest a bungie key ring cord and some duct tape to connect it to your back pack if you are worried about falling and it will make sure you know where it is after the tumble

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Donie75

Tempted to get one of these myself. Is there much difference between the GoPro Hero 2 and the 3?

Donie75 wrote: »
    Tempted to get one of these myself. Is there much difference between the GoPro Hero 2 and the 3?

Yep significant difference in the quality of the footage & the performance in changeable conditions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

The hero two is similar to hero 3 silver.

The gopros are really good as a training tool. Can see what you're doing wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Great cameras. I constantly watch my own footage, so from that point of view it was an investment. I had another cheaper camera that cost €150 or thereabouts and the quality wasn't comparable, even when considering the price. Night/overcast footage quality isn't that great though.

Anyone have any experience of these? http://www.prestigioplaza.com/catalogue/DVRs/PCDVRR710X

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Anyone have any experience of these? http://www.prestigioplaza.com/catalogue/DVRs/PCDVRR710X

The first camera I had was a bullet camera (not the same brand as your link), the picture was fine but the big issue with it was setting the horizon.

It's easy with a GoPro, you just line the bottom of the camera up with the horizon, but with the bullet camera, because if its shape, it was extremely difficult to gauge whether it was horizontal or not. It would look like it was horizontal, but if I was out by even four or five degrees it would make have a noticeable effect on the horizon when it was played back and the picture would be off keel.

It's very annoying getting back after a long day, looking forward to reviewing your triple-corks :rolleyes:, hooking it up to your TV and seeing all your footage for the day is at an angle. :(

just back from a week skiing and one of the gang had a Liquid Image EGO.
    I've watched most of the footage and its better than i was expecting tbh.
    currently on amazon.co.uk for £134
    some youtube vids here(not of us thankfully)

• Advertisement

Argos seem to have some good deals on the Hero 3.
    Hero 3 Silver http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5636448/Trail/searchtext%3EGOPRO.htm
    Hero 3 Black Surf http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5636462/Trail/searchtext%3EGOPRO.htm

Is there much difference in the 3 and the 3+? I've read that there is a software upgrade required for the 3.

The release software upgrades for them all on a regular basis. Between the 3 and the 3+ the main diffs are better battery life, better image quality and the ability to video a wider field of view if you want. It also comes with a smaller waterproof case then the 3 but you can buy that and use it with a 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

There was a basic update required when the 3 first came out. It's easy to do if it's still something that needs to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Got my Hero3 last Sep from the states and used it for a month travelling around Asia.
    Was perfect just having it the pocket all the time.. Bring it out snorkeling.. not worrying about it in the rain or anything!

Looking forward to getting it out with me in Les Arcs in a few weeks.. Hopefully can get some good footage!

Is there much difference in the 3 and the 3+? I've read that there is a software upgrade required for the 3.

A friend of ours world on the movie and TV business as a camera man and says the difference between the 3 & 3+ is so small on pic quality you won't notice, it is also a small bit lighter & smaller

Software update is quick and simple

Expect to see a 4 in 2015

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

I think I've settled on a liquid image evo. Any comments?

Gonna get a USB charge pack with it.
    Prob get the waterproof case too so I can use it surfing...

Dr Nic,
    connscameras.ie have a few liquid image ego's left on special offer at €100. Cheapest offer I have found online.
    I have one reserved, looks like a decent piece of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

Stick with the gopro....much much better.

here's a vid of us in les arcs at the start of jan....I'm the one wearing the mad colour pants and white helmet.

http://vimeo.com/84911303

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

What are GoPro's like for taking stills? The OH maintains his only option to prevent me from randomly stopping to take photos (see Soll thread lol) is to strap a GoPro onto my helmet so it captures EVERYTHING my eyes see. In theory I can see his point (hahaha!), but I don't know if that'd work in practice. Would it?!

They are OK but not great, any point and shoot for half the price will do a better job on stills. They are really crap when the light isn't good. You def could strap it to your head and leave it taking lots of photos all day then sort though them later or use the remote to take specific shots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

Fannymagee that would work, just set the camera to take a photo every second or so.
    However it will take a long time to filter through to find something that you like at the end of the day / holiday.
    You could get a 3 Black Ed which comes with a wifi remote control, just get a velcro strap and strap it to your wrist. That would be your best bet.
    Just stop, look at the area you want to take the photo of and press the button.

PS. don't stick the camera on the forehead of your helmet, like most do, it's an unnatural view and when you head moves a little it moves a lot, instead stick it to the right hand side of the helmet and mount it at eye level, that way it'll capture exactly what you see.

Great thanks Rew, that's exactly what I wanted to know! I thought as much. I'll continue to risk dropping my iPhone in the snow with my cold hands so, it sounds like less hassle ;-)

Aha Diemos, that wrist strap thingy sounds like what he's on about! Yes that's more what I'm thinking, I'd never get around to sorting out a whole days worth. Can you do that while it's also videoing, or does it have to be set to one or the other? Sorry for clueless questions, I'm half afraid one is going to materialise for my birthday and I want to make sure I'd use it if so!

Re: the helmet thing, yes I agree- and I've seen so many helmet mounted cameras knocked off by the lift bars, seems like a bad idea all round!

Rew wrote: »
    They are OK but not great, any point and shoot for half the price will do a better job on stills. They are really crap when the light isn't good. You def could strap it to your head and leave it taking lots of photos all day then sort though them later or use the remote to take specific shots.
    You can say that about all sports cameras tho the hero3 is much better in low light with its 2.8 lens
    have you seen some of the stills they can produce? They can be amazing! It's how you use it.

RE the remote......they don't play ball when it gets really cold.

You can say that about all sports cameras tho the hero3 is much better in low light with its 2.8 lens
    have you seen some of the stills they can produce? They can be amazing! It's how you use it.

RE the remote......they don't play ball when it gets really cold.

Yup I have one and Ive used it extensively for video and photo I love it and Im one of the suckers that upgrades each year (though I didn't get a +). Used them all the various environments. It needs and loves good light for video and stills even with the wide aperture (the gopro has been 2.8 since before the 3's BTW).

The remote isn't terrible in the cold but yes definitely suffers more then the camera does. The iphone/andoid app is another good option.

I have no skiing photos to hand but i can grab some later, this is made from Hero 3 black photo's:

1B1B213E223B4446A32D48B1018CDBD0-0000359104-0003360027-00800L-93060C9207EC423FA20A494D5AA1218D.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

fannymagee wrote: »
    Can you do that while it's also videoing, or does it have to be set to one or the other? Sorry for clueless questions, I'm half afraid one is going to materialise for my birthday and I want to make sure I'd use it if so!

Re: the helmet thing, yes I agree- and I've seen so many helmet mounted cameras knocked off by the lift bars, seems like a bad idea all round!

As far as I know it's only one at a time. They are great, but I use a small cord and tie mine to my helmet as an extra precaution, I've lost one while surfing, I'm not planning to make that mistake again. :P

Go to Whistler, no one uses the the lift bar there so your camera won't be knocked off*:p

*Use any excuse to visit Whistler, it's awesome!

Stick with the gopro....much much better.

here's a vid of us in les arcs at the start of jan....I'm the one wearing the mad colour pants and white helmet.

http://vimeo.com/84911303

thats a pretty cool vid.
    never realised how good the pole shots could be when used well.
    thanks.

LOVED that vid jonnykitedude, brilliant!!! :-)

Here a good photo from a Hero 3, loads of light

12178547714_800dff726c_c.jpg
    GOPR0022 by rew1979, on Flickr

Here is one with lower light that didnt really do what we were seeing justice, still not bad though:

12178402223_8ecb3cab96_c.jpg
    GOPR0071 by rew1979, on Flickr

Similar shots from my iphone 5:

12178706563_8846cdb69d_c.jpg
    IMG_2855 by rew1979, on Flickr

12178375765_e12df4acb6_c.jpg
    IMG_2929 by rew1979, on Flickr

And a vid shot with 2 Hero 2's and a Hero 3:

• Advertisement

Rew wrote: »

The remote isn't terrible in the cold but yes definitely suffers more then the camera does. The iphone/andoid app is another good option.

1B1B213E223B4446A32018CDBD0-0000359104-0003360027-00800L-93060C9207EC423FA20A494D5AA1218D.jpg

Eh we used 3 remotes last year and everytime they froze, the same happened on our recent trip so they are crap in the cold.......never had the same issue in warmer climates.

Maybe your destination isn't that cold lol.

Advertisement