Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ivans of Caherdavin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Just because you cannot see them on the shop floor doesn't mean they don't exist. Office staff for one and more importantly who it where did you think the cakes were made?

Upstairs there a load of staff you wouldn't see.

Personally I didn't like the rude owner so stopped going there.

Good luck to the staff sitting in.
    Rude owner? whatever Ivan Cremins might be accused of, rude would not be it, I always found him to be a gentleman

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Jofspring

jbkenn wrote: »
    Rude owner? whatever Ivan Cremins might be accused of, rude would not be it, I always found him to be a gentleman

Ya I always thought Ivan was fine.

One or two staff behind the deli and two ladies doing the tills were always very rude though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Just because you cannot see them on the shop floor doesn't mean they don't exist. Office staff for one and more importantly who it where did you think the cakes were made?

Upstairs there a load of staff you wouldn't see.

Personally I didn't like the rude owner so stopped going there.

Good luck to the staff sitting in.

Rude owner !!! You must have the wrong shop . You couldn't meet a nicer gentleman , probably that was part of the problem when the downturn came- too nice to make the tough choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,931 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I lived in Limerick 96/97

Ivans, the old thomand Rugby club, Costelloes and Feathery Burkes...i'll never forget you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DoubtingMary72

Fond memories of Ivan's from the mid 90's when I was in college in Limerick. Always found Ivan himself a class act.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

marienbad wrote: »
    Rude owner !!! You must have the wrong shop . You couldn't meet a nicer gentleman , probably that was part of the problem when the downturn came- too nice to make the tough choices.

Agreed..... Ivan is a gentleman. I'm going in there for years and always found him a pleasure to deal with. Other staff are a mixed lot....two females on the checkout tills in particular were not very pleasant and one or two on the deli counter were pretty unfriendly and surly too. The other staff I found to be fine, so not tarring them all with the same brush!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

McSween wrote: »
    Many post office staff suffer from this condition namely Mungret and to a lesser extent the Crescent Shopping Centre.

I hate people who cannot provide customer service.

there's one in the crescent who's an awful pig..looks like one too

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Okay. The majority know him as a nice man. I didn't. He was rude to me once(once is enough) an I've seen him berate a staff member and shout at people in the car park for failing to park correctly.

I did like the cakes though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

I cannot understand how you can be a well seasoned business man with 38 years in business and close is just like that. I have no pity for the guy and I'm hoping everyone working there will get their redundancy, even if that means stripping him of his assets.

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    I cannot understand how you can be a well seasoned business man with 38 years in business and close is just like that. I have no pity for the guy and I'm hoping everyone working there will get their redundancy, even if that means stripping him of his assets.

Usually the case in one man business - the last to know and accept and always believe you can turn it around , a bit like a football manager in fact.

That is when the banks usually step in - not that I am aware of that in this case.

In any case why so cruel ? He developed a locally unique brand and created employment for nearly 40 years - not a bad achievement . Having a Tesco Dunnes Lidl and Mace within 500 yards put paid to all that but at least he gave it a go and probably hung in there longer than was wise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

i worked there myself for 18months left in 2007 i absoloutely hated the place i found ivan ok twas the two supervisors that drove me out the door..yep 30staff seem fairly right youd have people upstairs in the kitchen baking,deli staff,till staff office and floor staff and all on 3different shifts..sad to see it go ivan wasnt the wrost

In any case why so cruel ? He developed a locally unique brand and created employment for nearly 40 years - not a bad achievement . Having a Tesco Dunnes Lidl and Mace within 500 yards put paid to all that but at least he gave it a go and probably hung in there longer than was wise.
    why so cruel? because of his action 30 people don't have a job, wages and redundancy money, that's why

why so cruel? because of his action 30 people don't have a job, wages and redundancy money, that's why

How so ? We don't the how this will play out yet. As far as I know for redundancy money ,if the company cannot pay the state will.

You seem to be making out as if this was deliberate ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

That's a bit of a harsh opinion, he created 30 jobs for 38 years and maintained a bakery when almost everybody else around moved to outsourcing.

You don't know the facts either but are jumping to conclusions. I'd say dunnes lidl and tesco have a lot to do with it.

relaxed wrote: »
    You don't know the facts either but are jumping to conclusions. I'd say dunnes lidl and tesco have a lot to do with it.

I'm jumping to conclusions? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

As far as I know for redundancy money ,if the company cannot pay the state will.

This is correct. Benefited from this myself about 9 months ago. Two weeks pay for every year and one week extra. Didn't take long to be processed either.

If (and I stress IF because I don't know) he (or anybody else) closed without letting his staff know it's a despicable thing to do. I don't know if that is the case though.

I'm jumping to conclusions? :rolleyes:

You have to be joking !

Joking? The article in Leader states clearly:
    - shop has closed overnight on Sunday
    - owner so far didn't engage the staff (FOUR days later)

You have me confused now ?? the other poster mentioned (as I did) Dunnes Lidl etc and you said he was jumping to conclusions and now you veer on to a different point ?

Anyway we don't know the full facts but overnight closure has the all the hallmarks of a receiver moving in , if so Ivan has nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Writing was on the wall. What opened my eyes to it was when I went in about a month ago to buy a decent pen and highlighter and all they had was standard Bic shite.

If they couldn't afford to stock something that was a staple of their business for so many years it was a matter of time. Unlikely staff will get redundancy if someone takes it on as a going concern, which isn't necessarily out of the question.

• Advertisement

ninty9er wrote: »
    Writing was on the wall. What opened my eyes to it was when I went in about a month ago to buy a decent pen and highlighter and all they had was standard Bic shite.

If they couldn't afford to stock something that was a staple of their business for so many years it was a matter of time. Unlikely staff will get redundancy if someone takes it on as a going concern, which isn't necessarily out of the question.

There was a rumour doing the rounds awhile back that Londis were moving in.

Still I will miss the dinners - very handy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭McSween

Blazer wrote: »
    there's one in the crescent who's an awful pig..looks like one too

The post offices could provoke the start of a 'bad customer service' thread all on their own.

Limerick Leader newspaper articles are not worth the paper they are written on, so no point quoting them as a reliable source.

Naturally the shop will close suddenly, that's what happens in liquidation situations, no point in telling everybody you are closing in 2 months and creating more problems.

Why would Ivan engage with staff, its a liquidation of a company I assume, so its the liquidator who does the engaging AFAIK. There is nothing he can do if the company is gone bust.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

I've never read such BS in my life.

What "Action" are you referring to?

relaxed wrote: »
    Limerick Leader newspaper articles are not worth the paper they are written on, so no point quoting them as a reliable source.

Naturally the shop will close suddenly, that's what happens in liquidation situations, no point in telling everybody you are closing in 2 months and creating more problems.

Why would Ivan engage with staff, its a liquidation of a company I assume, so its the liquidator who does the engaging AFAIK. There is nothing he can do if the company is gone bust.

few posts earlier you accused me of jumping onto conclusions and now you come up with these? :rolleyes:

I've enough of this, keep scratching your own backs, at the end of the day it's the actions of this man that led to 30 people being now unemployed and not paid. You can praise him all you want, but it won't change this simple fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

few posts earlier you accused me of jumping onto conclusions and now you come up with these? :rolleyes:

I've enough of this, keep scratching your own backs, at the end of the day it's the actions of this man that led to 30 people being now unemployed and not paid. You can praise him all you want, but it won't change this simple fact.

What "Actions" are you referring to?

Ok, you are obviously right and everybody else wrong. Have a nice day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

at the end of the day it's the actions of this man that led to 30 people being now unemployed and not paid. You can praise him all you want, but it won't change this simple fact.

:confused: Was Ivan involved in some massive CDS dealing using company funds that I am unaware of?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Limerick77

What are you talking about - what actions?? The only actions I am aware of is the man providing employment to 30 people for 38 years?? There does seem to be issues with final pay cheques and I hope they do get sorted ASAP but for a poster that is taking what the Limerick Leader said as gospel you completely missed the part about where he said himself that everything due to employees will be paid to them. The man just lost his entire business for God sake. A business he spent 38 years building.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Sad to hear this,used to treat ourselves now and again by going to Ivans when working in construction during the good times,always spent more than intended because everything looked so good.

Couldnt have imagined it coming to this even if bad times hit because I always thought they had a market there no matter what the times.

Staff should have no worries about redundancies but I think there was a worry about no documentation for them to get things started with SW.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement