Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ivans of Caherdavin

Options
  • 20-01-2014 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭

after 38 years in business, notice on the door today saying its now closed. looks like quick decision - lots of suppliers are in car park trying to deliver, news papers dumped at front doors, a couple arrived to collect 2 birthday cakes which were ordered last Friday. Post office is still operating as normal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Apparently it will be turned into a Centra.

Will be sad to see it go, was a real Limerick institution.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Jofspring

It has been opening later and closing earlier recently. Sad to see another local business going but I have to say the staff in there most of time were pig ignorant and really put me off going in there unless I really had to.

Just heard there the reciever moved in last night hence the sudden closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭highlydebased

There were whisperings a couple of months back it would become a Londis but nothing seemed to come of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

thought the staff were fine, its the staff in post office I always found grumpy. or one in particular at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Overpriced anyways, wanted a bouquet of flowers (standard stuff, nothing special) and was charged €30. Alot more value for money around the area, especially with Lidl just down the road.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I got my wedding cake there. I hope no one is left hanging.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

MarkR wrote: »
    I got my wedding cake there. I hope no one is left hanging.

Surprised they didn't hang in for the valentine flower market

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

A shame to see it close. Maybe it was a bit pricy but it was hard to beat for variety, choice and things you won't get in the supermarkets. Great deli/bakery too, and I loved the roast beef there on Sundays.

It was a great amenity for the area but the proximity of LIDL, Dunnes & Tesco probably sealed it's fate in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Radio5

Sad to see it closed. Never had a bad experience there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Apparently it will be turned into a Centra.

Will be sad to see it go, was a real Limerick institution.

Hard to see a centra going well there with a mace across the road, better parking and other shops like a butchers and chemist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭CraftySue

Sad to see a local business close. Will miss the bakery and deli.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Got flowers in there once, a fine bunch of roses with €20 marked on them. When I went to the till, the lady there realised that there were 2 bunches of 10 wrapped together and was most indignant at this unintentional deal I was getting. Went into a huff as though I had shoved the two bunches together in the wrapper. Now maybe she was ticked off at whoever set up and priced the flower stock outside, but there was no need to go into a huff in front of a paying customer. Service on other occasions wasn't exactly presented with a smile either. I love the idea of shopping in independent outlets but when the staff struggle to repress contempt of you then you can't be too sad to wave Ivan's off, even if it was some kind of landmark at the crossroads there. Onwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

thought the staff were fine, its the staff in post office I always found grumpy. or one in particular at least.

they are just misunderstood :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Gutted - best cakes in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Enjoyed a tasty mark up in the good times. Didn't seem capable of adjustment and the inevitable ensues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Pity to see it go. Great cakes in there (had terrible coffee the last time I was in there though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

Sad to see it go after that long being in business. Myself and all my family used to always get cakes there but last 2 years found they werent the same so didnt go back. I suppose with there prices they couldn't keep going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭McSween

Many post office staff suffer from this condition namely Mungret and to a lesser extent the Crescent Shopping Centre.

I hate people who cannot provide customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

the new post office on Henry street, up near willie sextons, have very pleasant staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭McSween

the new post office on Henry street, up near willie sextons, have very pleasant staff.

Ill keep that in mind. Convenient place actually

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

I'm actually very sad to hear this, I have so many memories of the place. Every birthday cake I (and most of my friends/family) had as a child was from Ivan's. I remember before it was done up and was still a shop with a sort of extra room off it with all the cards, stationary and toys in it, and the post office if I remember correctly. That room was sort of magical to child-version of me - all the stuffed animals on a shelf the length of one wall up near the ceiling, and the stickers! Every time I went in there as a child I'd spend ages looking at all the different packs of stickers and sticker books. There's probably hundreds of stickers up in my attic, all from Ivan's.

I found most of the staff were lovely, yeah there were one or two grumpy ones (mainly in the post office) but I found most of them very pleasant. A few of the older, long-timers even knew my mam by name because she'd be in and out of there so often over the past 20ish years!

It definitely had decreased in quality and atmosphere over the last few years and it was more expensive than competitors but it will be sadly missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Lisa2011

Bought flowers there over the years and birthday cakes too. Also went for an interview at one time. Sad to see a long standing business go

• Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭Cartman78

The day of the corner shop in Ireland is well and truly dead so it's amazing that Ivan's managed to keep going this long at all imho.

Got a few cakes there over the years and found them ok, the staff could be a bit abrupt at times but not to such a level that it put me off going there.

In hindsight, would they have been better concentrating on the bakery, deli side of things and maybe operating as a coffee shop type outfit (rather than trying to compete with Tesco, Lidl and Dunnes on general groceries)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Sad to Ivan's go, their problem was they never adjusted to the current climate by keeping their prices high. I think Whitty's will do just fine out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭aha_sender

Wow Ivan's gone god remember buying birthday cakes for years there. Still their were high and with and jet land near I can understand

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

How would such a small place require 30+ staff in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭aha_sender

That's an awful lot Of staff too loyal perhaps to their staff

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Just because you cannot see them on the shop floor doesn't mean they don't exist. Office staff for one and more importantly who it where did you think the cakes were made?

Upstairs there a load of staff you wouldn't see.

Personally I didn't like the rude owner so stopped going there.

Good luck to the staff sitting in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Wonder will people be delivering food there?

Or just let them eat cake....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement