Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford a depressing hole?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

mike65 wrote: »
    Mint Aero, what do you expect a largely neglected small city to be exactly? All sing and dancing? Rich? Full of glittery things? Fortnum & Mason? Even The English Market?

If you ask me personally what I think could be good for Waterford. I'd say play on this Winterval thing, it's kind of a success story so far isn't it. So first idea into my head, market Waterford as the go to destination for romantic breaks? This triangle thing, ok. Lets say there's lots of small cafes and the like dotted around there with loads of sheltered outdoor seating. Be cool wouldn't it? I think already we've got something with broader appeal than Vikings.

It's a pretty unique city in many ways. It has the best and worst entrance to any city in Ireland. If I go through Cork, Limerick, Dublin I go past offices, petrol stations....boring. Waterford? A fantastic view of the city and immediate penetration via one bridge. Sounds cool to me, but again there's nothing welcoming on the quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭kaef

Pity its just more unemployed foreigners.

99% of SWO customers are locals who are looking for the way how NOT to work and get money.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

Mint Aero wrote: »
    It's grand for a visit. Like it's probably better than Carlow and Wexford town?

I think Waterford needs to drop their obsession with Vikings and the Viking Triangle. How long are they going to flog that dead horse? It clearly isn't a seller.

What are you talking about?Are you saying that Waterford shouldn't be proud of the historical core of what is Irelands oldest urban settlement?Waterford is just as good a city as any other in the country.Why compare it to county towns like Wexford and Carlow?The architecture around the viking triangle area Reginalds Tower, The Bishops Palace, Christ Church Cathedral, The City Hall and Theatre Royal building, and the ruins of the Old French Church is amongst the finest in europe.Then you have the Medieval Museum building and the Waterford Crystal Building which are beautiful example of modern architecture.I actually find the shopping in Waterford to be fine and to be no worse than other places.Unfortunately people prefer online shopping and shopping in some bland and soulless shopping mall out on the doughnut ring at the expense of our city centres.Waterford is more than grand it is one of the finest cities in Ireland.If you can't see that then i pity you.I also insist that any visitor to Waterford should visit McLearys Restaurant for a proper example of Waterford hospitality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭gw80

waterford is in a bad place right now, but it has good potential,It was always a manufacturing city, a city built on its own merits, not a special needs city or a tourist city.

The whole region needs to pull together, and the city and county needs to pull together also for the greater good en all that.

We.ll be playing catch up for a long time yet but hopefully the saying "the squeeky wheel gets the oil" will come true at some stage

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

vist Dublin were cultured people live

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

vist Dublin were cultured people live

Hmmm. 'Cultured.' :rolleyes:

What are you talking about?Are you saying that Waterford shouldn't be proud of the historical core of what is Irelands oldest urban settlement?Waterford is just as good a city as any other in the country.Why compare it to county towns like Wexford and Carlow?The architecture around the viking triangle area Reginalds Tower, The Bishops Palace, Christ Church Cathedral, The City Hall and Theatre Royal building, and the ruins of the Old French Church is amongst the finest in europe.Then you have the Medieval Museum building and the Waterford Crystal Building which are beautiful example of modern architecture.

Nope I'm on about Vikings and speaking as a visitor I don't understand the triangle, that's all? I had a google earlier, and yeah the triangle looks pretty on county council drawings with things highlighted.

So Reginald Tower? It's a tower, there's 100's across the country. Bishops Palace? What's there, never been in. Christ Church, just a church, is it ever open? There's better cathedrals elsewhere. City Hall??? Where's that? Theatre? Cool. Old French Church yeah ok cool. New Museum is really cool too. Not bad, it's a nice core alright but it needs better marketing. Sell the city as something else other the oldest...vikings....yawn. That's my only point really :)

What's old about the city? Other than Reginalds tower. The other buildings don't stand out.

t the city? Other than Reginalds tower. The other buildings don't stand out.

You can walk around the medieval city walls. Including piece preserved inside Penney's.

kaef wrote: »
    You can walk around the medieval city walls. Including piece preserved inside Penney's.

I've seen it in Penneys. Is there more? See Derry would win here. They've a huge wall with loads of cannons. Waterford needs more cannons :)

Nope I'm on about Vikings and speaking as a visitor I don't understand the triangle, that's all? I had a google earlier, and yeah the triangle looks pretty on county council drawings with things highlighted.

So Reginald Tower? It's a tower, there's 100's across the country. Bishops Palace? What's there, never been in. Christ Church, just a church, is it ever open? There's better cathedrals elsewhere. City Hall??? Where's that? Theatre? Cool. Old French Church yeah ok cool. New Museum is really cool too. Not bad, it's a nice core alright but it needs better marketing. Sell the city as something else other the oldest...vikings....yawn. That's my only point really :)

What's old about the city? Other than Reginalds tower. The other buildings don't stand out.

You seem to be a very negative person!Waterford is unique for the amount of historical and medieval architecture within the urban core of the city.I don't think you will find better examples of medieval and historical architecture in any other city in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

Jesus imagine it. The horror! Flogging the history horse to attract tourists. Rome wouldn't do a silly thing like that. Or Paris. Or even Egypt! Oh wait..................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭ex_infantry

shur aint cork city built on a marsh!!! some good idea that was eh and it just shows everytime it rains, and also when a waterford person says to cork person "oh boi was in the horrors last night" cork person replies "where's that? is that a nightclub??"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

But what exactly are you looking for in a city- massive skyscrapers that jump out and wow you? A unique historical tale that involves futuristic characters and a movie-style plot? Thats not realistic. You keep saying "Oh, Reginalds Tower, boring" but there are towers the length and breath of this country and they all hark back to our ancient times when invasions were the norm and Christianity was finding root in Ireland, hence all the Round Towers, Ring Forts etc, they are a monument to our past and hence something to be very proud of, particularly when the Tower is in such a good shape after so many centuries..

It sounds like you are just not interested in Irish history full stop and prefer the shopping/restaurant element of cities which is fine but you shouldnt knock what is a major part of the tourist attraction to Waterford- The Viking Triangle. I mean, it would be hard to go anywhere in this country without some mention of Vikings and invasions etc, it isnt unique to Waterford. If you dont like it fine but dont knock it for the many people who are interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Shopping? Ok its not our best asset I will admit that but City Square does have Debenhams, River Island, Golden Discs, GameStop etc so you will be catered for if you are male or female and whatever your clothing needs are. We also have The Book Centre, Shaws, Gregorys Clothes for Men on Patrick Street which is a top place for shirts and jeans.

While I don't agree with the rest of your post, that is purely because a lot of what you have listed is not of interest to me (and that's fine, everybody has different interests) but I have to comment on this part. Shopping is practically non-existent in Waterford, saying "you will be catered for" is a load of rubbish.

imho with that negative attitude you should stay at home and watch another episode of coronation street.

While I don't agree with the rest of your post, that is purely because a lot of what you have listed is not of interest to me (and that's fine, everybody has different interests) but I have to comment on this part. Shopping is practically non-existent in Waterford, saying "you will be catered for" is a load of rubbish.

No i think thing's like saying shopping is practically non existent in Waterford is a load of rubbish.Waterfords shopping facilities are just as good as anywhere else in Ireland outside of Dublin and Cork.

You seem to be a very negative person!

That I'am :D

Do ye want to hear more of my ideas for yer city? Or will I head off to the Cork forum and give it to them...

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

No i think thing's like saying shopping is practically non existent in Waterford is a load of rubbish.Waterfords shopping facilities are just as good as anywhere else in Ireland outside of Dublin and Cork.

That just means that they are bad there aswell.

I think we can do with a few more decent shops really. Current bunch will get local people by but not attract anyone here to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Seriously? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Three years ago, I was under the impression that I'd been to Waterford once in thirty years ... but I didn't remember it. Then I had good reason to go back again, and I've visited several times a year since. Three times in December alone. I have absolutely no emotional or family connections with the city, but (maybe because of this) I can see that it's a place with great potential.

Now, that's a problem in itself - it's got potential, but it seems impossible to turn that potential into something real. I've never met a bunch of people with such a negative self-image and lack of pride in their own place! :eek: While the majority here on boards.ie seems to blame the city council, I can only say that ye voted them in, and in my experience, your elected councillors are very representative of their electorate. FFS, why don't any of you answer your e-mails when someone comes to you with a business/tourism proposition ???
    If you ask me personally what I think could be good for Waterford. I'd say play on this Winterval thing, it's kind of a success story so far isn't it. So first idea into my head, market Waterford as the go to destination for romantic breaks? This triangle thing, ok. Lets say there's lots of small cafes and the like dotted around there with loads of sheltered outdoor seating. Be cool wouldn't it? I think already we've got something with broader appeal than Vikings.

It's a pretty unique city in many ways. It has the best and worst entrance to any city in Ireland. If I go through Cork, Limerick, Dublin I go past offices, petrol stations....boring. Waterford? A fantastic view of the city and immediate penetration via one bridge. Sounds cool to me, but again there's nothing welcoming on the quays.

Dead right on all counts. The great thing about Waterford for visitors is that everything is within easy reach, and you've got a "bite-size" portion of almost every aspect of Irish history and culture in one place. Sure, the Viking thing is perhaps a bit OTT, but only because the Norman theme doesn't have a high-enough profile. Waterford was the primary trading port with France in those days - why isn't there a huge push to get modern-day Normans over from France?

The Quays - that's an amazing "resource" but woefully underused. All those closed-up shops - there's so much could be done there with a bit of imagination (not even money - just imagination), but having stand-still traffic disrupting the connection between the shops and the quayside is a real turn-off. Putting high-rise appartments and even more parking there is not a good idea!

What about watersports and river/maritime activities - why aren't there fifteen or twenty operators offering high- and low-intensity cruises and tours up the Barrow/Suir or down and around the Waterford/Wexford coastlines? What about long-distance walking tours ...?

On the tourist map of Ireland, Waterford just doesn't exist. Up until a few years ago, I would never have recommended anyone to go there, but thanks to a happy accident, I now know it's worth plenty of repeat visits ... but you need to start teaching tourism and marketing in secondary schools because it doesn't seem like anyone over the age of 20 has a clue ...

And answer your feckin' emails when someone says they want to bring you another 2000 international customers. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Hello_MrFox

It has its charm, for me the areas surrounding Waterford such as Dunmore East, the Copper coast etc are gorgeous parts of the country and are only a few minutes drive from the city. Only for this i have to admit it would be one of the more bleaker places in the country. Its not a very nice city to look at and its size can be limiting - in reality its just a town not a city. Its not all bad though, i find think there is a healthy selection of fantastic restaurants and the nightlife isn't to bad either. Waterford has just suffered severely with the recession, if you want to see an aesthetic small city buzzing city then KK is the place to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭gw80

No thanks,

I dont really go into town for the buzz, Im more outdoorsie so waterford suits me fine,
    I have mountains a few minutes drive from my house, i have a lot of brilliant sea fishing spots even less minutes from my door, or if I fancy some game fishing I have a choice of two of the best game rivers in Ireland close by,(blackwater suir).

Or if i do want to go out for a few ill head into town on a saturday night

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

CAUN wrote: »
    I suggested to a few mates that I might head down to Waterford of a Saturday just to get a break from Cork. They laughed at me and said stay away from the place, tis gone to shih since the recession.

So Waterford people, is your city any good for a day out? Shopping, restaurants etc. Some tourist stuff/sight seeing as the missus is a foreigner. Sell the city to me.

Thanks

After reading through all the comments there is a very negative attitude. It's hardly surprising though with all that's gone on in the last few years.
    1. The shopping in the city is ok.there's still a few little quirky boutiques to pick up something a bit different. Someone already mentions the big stores such as Debenhams and Dunnes
    2. The nightlife. If you're goin out for a meal and a few drinks there's loads to do. Mainly on a Friday and Saturday. Some fantastic restaurants including Cafe Goa , Emilianos, The Olive Tree, Bodega and Mc Learys.All the good pubs are in walking distance of each other.
    3 History. The new museum is fantastic, I did the tour which I really enjoyed. The tour of Reginalds tower is excellent too. (I wondered reading other posts had people actually done the tours).
    However if you really want to see the city come alive you should visit for Spraoi Wknd. It's not til August but will be worth it. There are people that come into the city from all over and there is a fantastic buzz around. spraoi.com.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Come again?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

There's a fierce echo in this depressing hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Come again?

Bmhl at that one Dicky

Advertisement