Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

aves study log

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭ave123

so today, again i spent most of the day trying to complete maths paper 2....and man, at this stage im seriously considering moving to pass .i did up the calculation and for two days of working on this paper, all i've accomplished is 62% of it. i think im gonna talk to my maths teacher bout it tomorow. still havent gone over irish and french orals yet and i am coming to the conclusion that maths is takeing up all of my time.

work done today
    • maths paper 2 work (sample D)
    • french essays 2002, 2004

• maths sample D paper 2
    • french oral- family, home school
    • irish oral-TG4, school ect
    • physics exam questions continuation

so work today has been....meh so-so. i did get a bit done but im still not working at full capacity. i really cant beleive theres only 3 months left, time is flying by and i think if i dont do something now, i'll be screwed in june. so i havnt done any maths today, i got quite abit of homework today and its nine o' clock right now and im wondering should i do maths for another hour or would it be better to take a break and go to bed early?....hmmm some people in my class do stay up late at night studying but my brain is just fryed beyond a certain time.in irish and french im still trying to do my best with the orals, irish orals i think i have covered pretty well, but french needs alot of work.i havnt done any chemistry or physics work today either, i need to start doing exam questions in those. i did do exam questions in business today, still need to plough through unit 2 and 3 in business. so at the moment i wanna really focus on oral work. not a badday done today but still can be improved

work done
    • bussiness exam questions-2012 question1, 2007 question2, 2005 question2
    • irish- sraithe number 1
    • french oral work
    • english- kinsella "Dick King"

• irish oral- tg4/sport/sraithe/ollscoil etc
    • french oral- school/hobbies/family/television
    • maths- circle/paper 2 sample D
    • chemistry- families of organic compounds

so study-wise i didnt get much done today....came home sick from school and just didnt feel like doing anything until six o' clock. all i got done really was maths, the circle questions and started differenciation. i got two mock results back today, and i suppose im less than impressed with them. i got chemistry and physics and i got D's in both:/....im not gonna dwell on it though, im just gonna move on.....its kinda disheartening though, cuz theres a girl at school that i do chemistry with, and theres literally just the two of us in chemistry, and she got a B3...and we've had the same teachers, she does physics too and she got a B2....its just hard knowing that we've had the exact same experience in both subjects, but she put the effort in.....anyways...we'll probably get the rest tomorow, maths i am definitely NOT looking forward to...we'll just have to see what happens
    -A

• Advertisement

• maths- the cirle questions
    • chemistry- mock corrections and "some families of organic compounds- planar compounds"
    • irish- sraithe 1 and oral irish

right...so i havnt posted in awhile but its been a really hectic couple of weeks....i got my mocks back and didnt do that well in them, which i was expecting but its still not nice to get i suppose.....i gote mostly D's, some C's and i failed maths sooooo......i really dont know what to do about maths cuz everyone in my class failed it, literally not one person passed. at the moment, theres only 3 people left in the class including myself cuz everyone else dropped down....my dilemma is, do i take the higher and hope to god i somehow just scrap a D3, or do i go down to pass (which has a really ****ty teacher), and maby get a better grade, but much less points.....and if i fail maths in the real thing i gonna have to repeat and i dont wanna do that....sooooo, anyone have any thoughts, advice, personal experience?.....I really dont know what to do...my maths teacher is telling me to keep it up, he reckons i've worked too hard on maths to drop down at this stage.....as well as that, i dont really have much time and i need to pull up alot of my other subjects, esp chemistry, physics and bussiness.....so if anyone has any advice...itd be appreciated:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

ave123 wrote: »
    right...so i havnt posted in awhile but its been a really hectic couple of weeks....i got my mocks back and didnt do that well in them, which i was expecting but its still not nice to get i suppose.....i gote mostly D's, some C's and i failed maths sooooo......i really dont know what to do about maths cuz everyone in my class failed it, literally not one person passed. at the moment, theres only 3 people left in the class including myself cuz everyone else dropped down....my dilemma is, do i take the higher and hope to god i somehow just scrap a D3, or do i go down to pass (which has a really ****ty teacher), and maby get a better grade, but much less points.....and if i fail maths in the real thing i gonna have to repeat and i dont wanna do that....sooooo, anyone have any thoughts, advice, personal experience?.....I really dont know what to do...my maths teacher is telling me to keep it up, he reckons i've worked too hard on maths to drop down at this stage.....as well as that, i dont really have much time and i need to pull up alot of my other subjects, esp chemistry, physics and bussiness.....so if anyone has any advice...itd be appreciated:)

I'm not sure,its really a personal decision. If you think you can do it and spend 2 hours a night at it, it can be worth it. 25 points is a lot. However on the down side, o maths will be fine so dont worry about it a couple of days study will catch you up. Perhaps if you need 450 points your time is best spent studying your other subjects to bring the grades up? If there is another maths teacher that you're comfortable with, get them to look through your paper to see if its basic fundamental maths you have a problem with or if its the airy fairy malarky(i.e rotations in complex numbers) Your own teacher probably doesn't want all of the 3 remainders dropping down as it makes her look awful.

Regardless, you have a lot of study to do to get 450.
    Start now or regret it later. Good luck with your decision.

oncex wrote: »
    I'm not sure,its really a personal decision. If you think you can do it and spend 2 hours a night at it, it can be worth it. 25 points is a lot. However on the down side, o maths will be fine so dont worry about it a couple of days study will catch you up. Perhaps if you need 450 points your time is best spent studying your other subjects to bring the grades up? If there is another maths teacher that you're comfortable with, get them to look through your paper to see if its basic fundamental maths you have a problem with or if its the airy fairy malarky(i.e rotations in complex numbers) Your own teacher probably doesn't want all of the 3 remainders dropping down as it makes her look awful.

Regardless, you have a lot of study to do to get 450.
    Start now or regret it later. Good luck with your decision.

yeah you see, heres the thing,... i can spend many hours studying maths (and already have) and could possibly scrape a D3, but while im doing that, i could be spending this time on some other subject say chemistry or business and hopefully pull up by alot more possibly get a B, mabey an A if im lucky.....anyways what im afraid of most is putting in the work and not getting out the results and wasting my time on maths ....so i think it would be more worth my while spending the hours in something that i could get a good grade more easily.....so i think i have come to the conclusion of to drop down, even though it means giving up the extra 25 points, its just to risky. like what would happen if i didnt scrape a D3...then i'd be in trouble.....thanks for the input though:)

so today i got back an english essay from my english teacher that i wrote afew weeks ago....aandd im not gonna lie,....i was pretty mad. she gave me 65 percent overall and i just could not understand what was wrong. the essay title was about telling the truth, i thought this was a fairly manageable title so i chose that one, basically my essay consisted of, what my personal opinion was on telling the truth, what the world would be like if everyone physically wasnt able to lie and why people dont tell the truth. i dont wanna sound stuffy or anything, but outta all the essays i've wrote this year i was really looking forward to getting this one back cuz i thought i had done well in it. there was afew spelling mistakes as usual but what really made me mad was her comment.....it said my essay "didnt hold her attention" and "there was nothing exciting about it"....in my opinion i thought this was one of the more exciting essays i've written this year. like for example in one paragraph i was explaining how telling the truth could change the whole world, there would be no oppression, war, power ect ect. for me this was a really thought provoking essay, but i suppose she just didnt get it. I was really confused too because another essay i had written got 85 percent and all it consisted of was a shortstory about how i got my dog....im just so confused....i really thing english is about opinions and perception....and basically me and her just have different opinions about the topic....but i dont think examiners can mark you down just because they dont agree with what your saying...can they?

• Advertisement

so its a week before my french orals and im starting to mildly panic....im not gone into all stations panic mode yet....but i am getting a little nervous about it. i really need to do well in my french oral to pull up my whole french paper....basically im pretty crap at french, i dont really know why i chose it tbh, i guess i thought it'd be cool if i was ever in france, i could be all fluent and such...but it hasnt really happened like how i planned....i suppose my teacher just didnt really inspire me to work for it....like i never really felt it was worth working for, so im basically working my ass of for the last two weeks trying to become a frech speaker....and yeah, alot of work involved....so if anyone has any advice, personal experience, what topics they studied,the document ect id appreciate it:)

sooo....i had my mock irish oral today...and it was pretty much a disaster. its not that i dont know the material, i know that i know it, i've been going over it every night....but anyways, whatever happend today i dont know but my mind just went blank. it was so embarrassing. things that would usually be tippin off my tongue like family and school i just could not remember them....and i was so nervous too. i think im the kind of person that just crumbles under pressure....so anyways my irish teacher was like horrified, he gave out stink to me for not knowing the stuff. god i have no idea what happened. im sitting here right now and i can literally answer the questions he was asking me, so i have no idea what to do. i cant do that in the actual oral god and its so much worse cuz the irish oral is 40%. i have no idea what to do and how to fix it. this has never really happened before, like whenever my teacher asked me questions in class i did fine, but just in that situation.....i dont know, maby i should just keep going over the stuff and hope for the best...

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭ejayy

Hi there, the main thing is not to over do it on your irish oral! Dont stress about it, if you go into your irish oral stressed, I guarentee you, you wont remember anything! Trust me! Last year, when I had my German oral I did not let the stress get to me, I knew I knew my stuff, and by not stressing about it beforehand I went in there and got close to full marks! I know its hard but try to relax, watch some tv or listen to some music and most importantly breath easily!! :)

hey ejayy......yeah i know, i think its really important to relax and like let it all flow, im gonna really try to relax myself and get all the stuff learned for the oral......i really hope to god that i dont panic like that in the real thing though:L

• an deireadh seachtaine
    • ait chonaithe
    • saoire na casca
    • riomhaire
    • teilifis/ceol
    • sraithe: 12,13,14,15,16

so i got my french orals over and done with and im fairly happy with how i got on. in all fairness though, the examiner was soooooo nice. she was acctually probs the best examiner that i could have got, cuz she asked us all the questions she knew we had prepared and didnt ask any weird ones, which i would not have been able to answer:L.....anyways, it went fine, probably better than i thought it would, so yeah....im soo happy to get it over with. props to the examiner though cuz she came in, in the morning and was like "dont be nervous, theres nothing to be afraid of, i wont ask any weird questions etc"...god im delighted with that. just hope irish goes as well. have to get right into study...
    -A

so today is the first friday into the easter holidays and to be quiet honest...i dont think im doing near enough study.....i think there is just something about studying at home that distracts me. i'm really trying to get into the study frame of mind and get really motivated but its just not happening at the moment. at the moment i think i am only getting half the amount of work done that i want to be getting done per day and it's really frustrating me cuz there's no-one to blame but myself....as well as that i dont feel like im getting enough done in the hours im putting in. for example i spent an hour working on a physics paper today and in that hour i only got 2 questions done. at this stage i really wanna be able to look at a question, be able to answer it myself and be able to answer it in a short amount of time (10-15 mins). but it hasnt happened. the only thing i can do now is keep trying to improve on my exam questions and put in the hours of study. Also i need to focus on other subjects more as well as maths physics and chemistry. ugh its alot to work on but hopefully i can do it.....9 days left in easter and i wanna really make them count.

today is monday 22/04/14.....and today is the day i realized i need to cop the **** on and start studying. for some reason it was today that i finally realized what short time is left until leaving cert and i am starting to get that panicky feeling in my stomach....oh how i know this feeling so well.....anyways i need to do up a new study plan, doubling the pace, doubling the work and doubling the motivation. i cant believe i have let so much time over easter slip from procrastinating and getting distracted ect ect. anyways....at the moment i am on holidays in a hotel....but the minute i get home which will be about 2:00pm tomoro i will begin studying and i will work for a solid 8 hours (with 10 min breaks here and there)....okay i know i constantly say this...but no more excuses!....i will work solid hard for the next 6 days and pack as much study in as i can before school starts again....okay so im really feeling the pressure now....time to get into it...

okay...so i hav'nt been posting much here lately but hopefully it will get my motivation up abit....have been working quite hard over the last few weeks but im finding it tougher and tougher to keep at it.....things are starting to get busy at school and classes are wrapping up....but i have still ALOT of things to go over, main things being french english and bussines...the subjects i had most under-estimated....in french my comprehensions and listening need alot of work.. and also i ahve to learn all the material for irish...busy times are yet to come...so i think i mainly use this "study log" as a motivational tool without the use of logging my study...but if anyone cares...heres the study i did today..not much

-bussiness ABQ question
    - physics questions 2,3,5,6 in 2006
    -chemistry questions-5,6,7 in 2006
    -bussiness revision-EU institutions (not much done here)

i was just wondering about the irish marking scheme...if anyone knows how they mark the written irish pieces like the essay... as in, is there more marks going for spelling and grammar, than fully answering the question asked....im just trying to think is it better for higher irish, learning simpler written pieces with probably not as much fancy irish (but where i'll most likely get all the spelling and grammar right), than learning a really long complicated essay which i probably would make alot of spelling and grammar mistakes....any-one any thoughts?:P

• Advertisement

so, for some reason this thread has been on my mind for awhile, maybe its from listening to my brother whos doing the leaving cert give out about studying for it.So this is basically a "wrap-up" on this study log and the results of that stressful,stressful year.So i got 450 points in the leaving which is kinda weird considering thats the exact number i posted here, that i was aiming for all those months ago.All in all i was fairly delighted with my leaving cert.For anyone who wants to know..i got C in physics,C in chemistry.C in business C in french, B in irish, A in maths, A in english, distinction in lcvp.So im in college now in NUIG, ive officially made it!:L....to all of you students out there, please god dont stress too much about exams.There is no point putting so much pressure on yourself if you cant handle it.Exams arnt the be all and end all like.Take my advice and just enjoy the year as much as you can and go out on a high.I know its easier said then done not to stress about exams, but they honestly arnt worth the torment...good luck to ye all!-A

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭ejayy

Are u doing science in nuig?? �� if so what subjects do u want to chose for September? ��

Advertisement