Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else not bother trading in anymore?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

jenjenten wrote: »
    since next gen ps3 and 360 prices have plummeted...dictated by gamestop, they bleed every last penny out of customers....imo i think its better to hold onto the games.

if you decide to seel your console you'll have a nice bundle of games to juice up the console price.:)

Same thing happened with PS2 and PS1 before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,279 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Very negative attitude to trading in here, you can work it in your favour too. Sometimes Gamestop have crazy trade-in lists that you can take advantage of and an offer they always have is 25% extra on trade in if you pre-order, very useful if you happen to have any high value recent releases, used that to my advantage years ago when I traded in Red Dead Redemption to practically pay for that year's Fifa.

Even recently, I got 98 euro cash from the new CEX in Cork for GTA 5, Need for Speed Rivals and Fifa 14. Need for Speed in particular was crazy, i bought it new for 29.99 and they took it from me for 28 cash. why would I keep the game when it wasn't very good anyway?

I like selling games on adverts.ie to but sometimes it makes a lot of sense to shop around when trading in.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,252 ✭✭✭✭noodler

jenjenten wrote: »
    thats it....the prices they offer are insulting, and if you challenge staff they just snigger and say i dont set the prices :mad:

Eh, you don't seriously doubt this, do you?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

noodler wrote: »
    Eh, you don't seriously doubt this, do you?

I think her problem is more so the attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

The last time I traded in games was back when I used to ring the likes of Gamestop for release dates and to pre-order. Ah, pre-internet!

The fact that they are robbing people blind and I now mainly stick to PC gaming are 2 other major reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Even recently, I got 98 euro cash from the new CEX in Cork for GTA 5, Need for Speed Rivals and Fifa 14. Need for Speed in particular was crazy, i bought it new for 29.99 and they took it from me for 28 cash. why would I keep the game when it wasn't very good anyway?

CeX's voucher values tend to be very reasonable. I dumped a good 20 shovelware-y games I inherited on my PS3, ended up with enough store-credit to fund 6 months worth of gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    CeX's voucher values tend to be very reasonable. I dumped a good 20 shovelware-y games I inherited on my PS3, ended up with enough store-credit to fund 6 months worth of gaming.

got 31 cash today and 17 credit for GTAV and an old xbox controller respectively. Gamestop offered 16 cash for the game, HMV was 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I've only ever traded in to CEX as they at least offer you a reasonable amount for older titles.

I think trading works if you are the type to buy games on release day and complete them quickly. That way you get a decent amount off the next new release when you trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I never trade games. Mostly because i'm quite choosy about what i buy and it's usually something I want to keep. I can't blame anyone for trading though as almost all of my recent stuff has been second hand. (I got a PC game in CEX last thursday for €0.50! Fair enough it was an old game, but still)

I''m wondering how the CEX stores make a profit. I'm constantly told they to do better trade ins than Gamestop but the games are a good bit cheaper. Or am I just used to the Gamestops in Galway having a virtual monopoly on customers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Cex generally do 70% (ish) of a games value in store credit, or half the price cash for trade ins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭SteveDPirate

Interesting topic. I've found in the last 4 or so years since I've started my current job that I haven't traded anything and I'm being very selective about what games I buy new (GTA etc).

There are other games I'm willing to pass on until I can pick them up second hand or on the cheap eg. I got Far Cry 3 and Dead Island: Riptide in the Gamestop Jan sales in a 3 for 2 offer on €9.99. Worked out I spent less than €7 on these games, so I don't see the point in trading them in when I'm finished. They won't owe me anything when I've finished them and the trade in values will be poor.

I guess a knock on effect to not trading is that my games library is growing.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

penev10 wrote: »
    I've only ever traded in to CEX as they at least offer you a reasonable amount for older titles.

I think trading works if you are the type to buy games on release day and complete them quickly. That way you get a decent amount off the next new release when you trade.

I traded a bunch of old dvds into them and got more than I expected, some were for pittance like 50c but I got a few quid each for stuff I wouldnt have even asked for if I was selling, it's an odd setup really.

Gamestop used to give 2 quid a dvd, I had a ton of credit on a gift card with them once for a huge trade in game me in games and psn credit for months. Now they offer 30c a dvd pfffft feck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

I normally don't trade in games unless I want to make space or if I haven't time for ebay/adverts stuff. Traded in COD Ghosts for 22 euro cash in CEX the other day, Gamestop had offered 12 euro for it.

Have never really traded in games. Never saw the point of it tbh and the only time I'd consider it is if I had multiple copies or bought a console and it was bundled with ganes. Recently I was given the new Need for Speed on PS3. Played it for a few days but it wasn't for me do I brought it into town and brought it into gamestop who offered €13 for it, less than a week after it was released. The reason they have was that "no one will buy a PS3 copy when there's a PS4 version". "If that's the case" I asked " why are second hand copied on the shelf for €49.99?" Took it into CEX who game me €35 for it which I was happy with.

Normally with games I've stopped playing or don't like ill just give them to my brothers and its a much better than going into Gamestop and being offered €.50 for one. I saw a lad with 30 or so games in a Gamestop over Christmas being offered €13.45 for the lot. I'd sooner dump them that get so little for so many games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

zero19 wrote: »
    I normally don't trade in games unless I want to make space or if I haven't time for ebay/adverts stuff. Traded in COD Ghosts for 22 euro cash in CEX the other day, Gamestop had offered 12 euro for it.

I've only ever traded in, if I wanted it gone now.

So much better value on adverts and very easy. Sold the 3DS on adverts, Cheaper than 2nd from the shops, and I got much more than they would've offered.

I never really understood why people regularly traded in. The rates have been dismal for a long time, and selling on yourself isn't difficult.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 645 ✭✭✭loveBBhate

The aim of the GAME ( ;) ) is to buy low and sell high, quite frankly this isn't the case with regards trading in games. Don't do it guys!!!!! Adverts (or other marvellous methods) FTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Did once. Not again. Sell on adverts if I want to get rid of but I usually end up keeping the games.

Don't buy often, but when I do, I really want the game so I tend to keep them

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I never do either. Usually by the time I realise I'll probably never play the game again, it's about 3 years old and worthless. Would rather sell on adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

J. Marston wrote: »
    Never traded in.

Not really out of wanting to replay old games, although I do on the odd occasion, but I like having a collection.

This for me, plus I wouldn't be insulted offered a few euro for a title.

Also the second hand market is more damaging to the income for designers and publishers then piracy, so I don't want to be just lining Gamestops pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

45 for a new 3ds games and 39.99 for a traded one, regardless of whether it has it's original box or not. The trade in market is shocking in fairness and doesn't look like changing any time soon.
    Actually it's more Gamestop is shocking than the trade in market. High prices on games both new and old, a lot of rude and unhelpful staff and new games that are opened to be displayed half the time have any useful codes scratched off and used, like the Nintendo club points.
    I'm sure there are some good staff in some stores but I have never came across one yet but maybe the company are just horrible to work for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    45 for a new 3ds games and 39.99 for a traded one, regardless of whether it has it's original box or not. The trade in market is shocking in fairness and doesn't look like changing any time soon.
    Actually it's more Gamestop is shocking than the trade in market. High prices on games both new and old, a lot of rude and unhelpful staff and new games that are opened to be displayed half the time have any useful codes scratched off and used, like the Nintendo club points.
    I'm sure there are some good staff in some stores but I have never came across one yet but maybe the company are just horrible to work for.

Staff can be hit and miss in there, there's three stores in Limerick and there's some sound guys and girls working in all of them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

OwaynOTT wrote: »

From what I heard the company are dreadfull to work for. Reason I never applied to work their, apparently they treat their staff like ****, apart from managers and upper management

• Registered Users Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

krudler wrote: »
    Staff can be hit and miss in there, there's three stores in Limerick and there's some sound guys and girls working in all of them

Actually there is a woman that works in one of the Limericks stores that is very nice and has a good knowledge and interest in games, even some of the older stuff. So I'll take back what I said, to an extent.

Advertisement