Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else not bother trading in anymore?

Options
  • 17-01-2014 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else not bothering to trade games in anymore? Just seems like the trade in rates pretty much everywhere are in the pits now, obviously these shops are trying to make a profit but still, the trade in prices now are ridiculous. Might as well keep the games.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

I never traded in, I preferred having the game in case I ever wanted to play it again rather than the €5-10 they offered me. If they ever offered more it was always for a more popular, newer game which you could probably get a better deal from one of your friends for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Nope, I either swap games, sell on adverts or just keep them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

never saw the point in trading in. i'd rather have it on my shelf than get peanuts back to use off another game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Never traded in a game, Ive sold sports games on ebay but anything else has replay value and I lend them to my friends aswell as borrow theres. Saves on money if one off us buy Uncharted the other Last Of Us etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

Was offered €15 last week for 3 games. Star wars kinect, BL 2 and lego batman 2. I know they're not the newest off titles but still I found that insulting so they're sitting here till I get me finger out and look to trade etc. Defo got worse since xtra-visions demise IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Very rarely, unless it's something short I played, finished, and have no interest in to replay and still relatively new. I traded God of War Ascension and got like a tenner less than I paid for it. But trading old games is pointless, I'd rather give them to people who I know will like them or keep them. I was in gamestop recently and out of interest asked how much Blops 2 would get me, considering they had it preowned for 39 quid on the shelf. 4 quid. four fcuking quid. I'd rather have it there gathering dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

Depends on the price. Some 360 games I traded I got 30 odd off another game I was looking for so had no problem doing it then.
    Some games I'll keep no matter what and some older releases would barely fetch a tenner so I'd prefer to keep them if it's bad value to trade.

Killzone shadow fall is only getting around €20 in some shops, think one shop offered me €10 for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

The prices are gas. Offered 7 for batman arkham blackgate in smyths the other day and got 20e in GameStop. The game cost me £15 so happy days. hmv also have a 30% extra offer at the moment so (ab)used that last week but buying more and more digital games (psn, xbla, steam) means I will have less to trade anyhow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

The last time i traded in games was FF13 and Lost Planet 2. Got offered €3 each. I was quite insulted by that offer since i had bought both brand new a few months before but took the offer anyway because i despised both games.

I find it's better to just hang on to them as i often found i regretted trading in most of my PS2 titles so better to hold onto them in case i fancy playing again. That coupled with the pittance that shops usually offer for games means i won't be trading in anything anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,728 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I never did trade in. It wasn't worth it. Like others I will lend to friends and vice versa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

The only time I trade in when they got that Very big list with offer like 2 games + 9.99eu. Most likely I will use it only if there re some old games that I have laying around and I know I wont play them ( or I got them on PC anyway ).

Other then that I keep the games I liked playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I used to be an avid trader. Once finished with a game I would move it on. In retrospect it is something I regret as there are a few older games that I would like to revisit. Whenever I decide to pick up a PS4, my collection will stay with me until I move the console on. Live and learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

I just sell on Adverts.ie now. Much better prices and far easier than dealing with some *cough* Gamestop *cough* employees

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Yeah ive pretty much given up seeding my torrents

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

When I was in school/college I'd trade in a bit alright, only way I could afford new games. I'm not sure if the prices have gotten worse, or I just have enough money now to not bother with the terrible trade in prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I bought a used copy of Stranglehold from GameStop for €10, it was shìte.
    Brought it back the following day and got €15 off another game :pac:

It's one of only 2 games I've ever traded in. The other was COD Black Ops and I got feck all for that.
    So I've got a 50% success rate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Can you trade in steam games?

:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I never saw the point in it at all. Always thought it was mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

blaze1 wrote: »
    Was offered €15 last week for 3 games. Star wars kinect, BL 2 and lego batman 2. I know they're not the newest off titles but still I found that insulting so they're sitting here till I get me finger out and look to trade etc. Defo got worse since xtra-visions demise IMO

thats it....the prices they offer are insulting, and if you challenge staff they just snigger and say i dont set the prices :mad:

dmcg90 wrote: »
    I just sell on Adverts.ie now. Much better prices and far easier than dealing with some *cough* Gamestop *cough* employees

The Adverts prices you get arent great either....but certainly less insulting then gamestop and their arrogant/rude stuff.

• Advertisement

I never saw the point in it at all. Always thought it was mad.

since next gen ps3 and 360 prices have plummeted...dictated by gamestop, they bleed every last penny out of customers....imo i think its better to hold onto the games.

if you decide to seel your console you'll have a nice bundle of games to juice up the console price.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Never traded in.

Not really out of wanting to replay old games, although I do on the odd occasion, but I like having a collection.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

not worth trading in, the game shops just rip you off. Before christmas I decided to trade in Killzone for the PS4 and Smyth's offered me 6 euro! They were selling 2nd hand copies of Killzone for 59.99 so massive profit margin. I kept my game, no way was I trading it in for that price.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I traded in a couple of games on one occasion years ago. I instantly regretted it and have never done it again.
    It's a money making racket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I've only ever traded in a handful of games, and that was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the early 2000s. Since then I've been keeping my games, and I've wound up with a pretty big collection with over 500 titles. Somewhere in the middle of this, I found a passion for collecting them I spend time looking out for unual pick-ups. I guess you could say that I've become a real collector as well as a gamer, and I love it... The dude who runs the local Gamestop isn't so into the idea though.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

From my experience, the trade in value was always crap, unless the game was new enough, or had big dlc releasing for it soon and was in high demand.
    And with the new systems, last gen game trade in will only get worse in value making it even more of a waste of time to even bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

From my experience, the trade in value was always crap, unless the game was new enough, or had big dlc releasing for it soon and was in high demand.
    And with the new systems, last gen game trade in will only get worse in value making it even more of a waste of time to even bother.

Never found the trade ins too bad in fairness, mind you I traded most of mine in xtravision who I always found better in terms of price and service.

I said to myself I'm never using them again and I plan on sticking to that. My nephew trades just about anything he has and I'm converting him to selling/buying online

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I used to but it's just not worth it. Better off keeping it, selling on adverts or lending/gifting it to friends and family. The last time I traded in was with a bunch of ps3 games yonks ago and I got a pathetic amount of store credit. I mostly just wanted to get rid of the cases but I totally regret it as there were some good games in there like Dante's Inferno.

Game stores are criminal with their console game prices and trade in offers. Their PC collection, although small and laughable, can sometimes have weird cheap price tags that are better than most if not all online sale prices. You could buy it and trade the key online if you were so inclined and I believe there's some sites that sell only keys but I'm pretty sure a lot of their profit comes from buying up physical copies, throwing the case out and just selling the key.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,512 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Last thing I traded in was Skyrim ( I already had 2 copies) and got Unit 13, not sure if I had to pay anything else but it was a decent deal as Skyrim was not new at that stage and I got extra credit for preordering Unit 13.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Jericho.

As many people have said trade in values are appalling. I tend to drop my unwanted games into a charity shop. Don't get anything for them but don't feel ripped off either.

Advertisement