Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eVision- free TV for 6 months, €10 a month thereafter

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

bk wrote: »
    each HD channel uses 10mb/s
    Ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

[though e="Soarer;88791984"]Yet another rant, except this time you've outdone yourself by falsely claiming I work for eircom (don't know what Alpha's story is).
    [/quote]

Haha, I'm not an Eircom employee either, I have a long history with Eircom though, where I have grown to detest their company but I was in a situation where living in a apartment Eircom broadband and evision was the only viable option for me.

I was hesitant at first given my long history with them but I decided to take a chance as it suited my needs and I needed something sorted quickly.
    So I ordered it a week and a half in advance and low and behold their engineers arrived at the time they said they would and had it fully installed and set up for me within a half hour.

I'm not saying this is the cheapest option available or if there are better alternatives out there.
    What I am saying though is that the service has performed surprisingly well and even with Eircom they must get credit where credit is due. Yes the max is 50 meg on evision, yes the connection speed drops back when watching TV but I can make do with 40 meg. Also I'm coming from a sky + HD box so I've an idea what I'm talking about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭jpb14

Out of curiosity what channels do you get with E-Fbre? Is there a link to the channel list?

On a slight off note,I was prommised E-Fibre by Eircom last October.I registerd for it in May of 2013.I rang them on Friday last to see what the hell is going on and they told me that wont have my area transfered over for at least another 4 weeks.The excuse I got was that the Eircom engineers are way behind time and they have still to change over a hell of alot of the local exchange cabinets to accept E-Fibre.
    So I presume that this means I cant now opt for Sky unlimited broadband either,as Sky will be using an eircom line too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Faz6r wrote: »
    my only problem with eircom is the false advertising and the blatant shilling by a minority here on this thread
    trying to get people to sign up for a service that is essentially free, just to tie them down to an 18month contract at hefty prices.

as discussed before the channels being offered are fta channels with the exception of 1 or 2

my question is how much commision are yourself and alphadog1 getting?
    or maybe it boosts your share prices via the esop/esot
    either way its time to stop with the shilling and the lies

more competition in the market is always a good thing and given time and the lack of interest in this evision service by people with more worldly experience, then eircom may actually offer a decent alternative
    but thats in the future and not now with the current evision offering

if evision was so good, why would eircom feel the need to falsely advertise it?
    why would they need to send cold callers to peoples homes in order to sign up for it?
    why would they need people out shilling for them?

Explain why you believe that it's false advertising?
    Why do other companies send cold callers to my door? Vodafone, Airtricity, are prime examples.
    What have you against Eircom cold calling ?

I can count about 12 channels that are not on FTA. Its also better value for a lot of people that have Eircom broadband and sky. It is getting good feedback from the few people that have it installed on this thread alone and other than the stories of your 'friend' I don't see too many complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

I got E vision and E fibre BB in last week and I'm very pleased with it.
    It's good for the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

jpb14 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity what channels do you get with E-Fbre? Is there a link to the channel list?

On a slight off note,I was prommised E-Fibre by Eircom last October.I registerd for it in May of 2013.I rang them on Friday last to see what the hell is going on and they told me that wont have my area transfered over for at least another 4 weeks.The excuse I got was that the Eircom engineers are way behind time and they have still to change over a hell of alot of the local exchange cabinets to accept E-Fibre.
    So I presume that this means I cant now opt for Sky unlimited broadband either,as Sky will be using an eircom line too?

Hold tight,Sky haven't launched fibre & won't be until at least April.I was the same,launch dates were pushed back & back but it was worth the wait for fibre.When the go ahead was given I was connected up within a couple of days.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Why do other companies send cold callers to my door? Vodafone, Airtricity, are prime examples.
    Not to mention the apartments with don't call signs specifically for SKY reps.

TBH when I see reps , I think commission, and how much extra the service must cost to pay for them

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Faz6r

What have you against Eircom cold calling ?
    i actually look forward to the cold callers so i can set them straight
    its amazing the claims and facts they will lie to your face about trying to get your signature.
    these guys always give me a great laugh and just as they leave id say keep me appraised of any new bargains :-)

i actually look forward to the cold callers so i can set them straight
    its amazing the claims and facts they will lie to your face about trying to get your signature.
    these guys always give me a great laugh and just as they leave id say keep me appraised of any new bargains :-)

So you neglected to tell us about the so called false advertising that Eircom are partaking in.....

For me it's a bargain price for a paid TV service that seems to be good according to the previous posters that have recently had it installed.

So you neglected to tell us about the so called false advertising that Eircom are partaking in.....

For me it's a bargain price for a paid TV service that seems to be good according to the previous posters that have recently had it installed.
    ok i answered one of yours
    tell me about your 12 channels
    you seem to answer questions with questions, how political of you

• Advertisement

ok i answered one of yours
    tell me about your 12 channels
    you seem to answer questions with questions, how political of you

Setanta
    Dave
    Alibi
    Watch
    Gold
    Really
    Yesterday
    Drama
    Discovery
    Quest
    TLC
    Animal planet
    Comedy Central
    MTV

.... That's more than 12 I believe
    And then you have all the Irish channels.... Need I list those?

So fill us in on the false advertising

Setanta
    Dave
    Alibi
    Watch
    Gold
    Really
    Yesterday
    Drama
    Discovery
    Quest
    TLC
    Animal planet
    Comedy Central
    MTV

.... That's more than 12 I believe
    And then you have all the Irish channels.... Need I list those?
    first off the irish stations are fta with saorview
    dave is fta via freeview
    gold, really, yesterday, drama, alibi, watch are fta too, via skys fta
    do u have a proper list or are you just guessing?

dave is fta via freeview

http://www.freesat.co.uk/channels is the list I am using as that's the channels that are on Freesat
    If you can show me how I get Dave, gold, really etc on my Freesat TV then go for it.
    I am not sure how you can get these channels on an old sky box without subscription but please post a link and I will dig out my old sky box and get all these lovely extra channels
    As for Freeview I don't believe it's available in most parts of Ireland.
    And if I don't have Saorview as I get it through sky how do you suggest I get it without forking out more money.

You are still dodging the question of false advertising.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Those channels are not available FTA on satellite. CBS Drama is, though I don't know if that's the drama channel you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

dave is fta via freeview

You are talking nonsense.

Gold, Really, Yesterday, Alibi & Watch are all subscription channels on Sky.

dave is fta via freeview

None of those channels work without a sky sub.

We have them all on our main sky box which has an active subscription and none work on our second skybox in another room with no sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

dave is fta via freeview

You're having a blinder here. :rolleyes:

And even if they were free, you wouldn't be able to record them with Sky's fta.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I do have to say that I believe Eircom are being very deceptive and under hand with their advertising of this product.

They claim it costs just €10 a month, but fail to point out that you can only get it inconjunction with their overpriced broadband.

It is actually more like €20 to €25 per month, compared to getting the same broadband from Vodafone. Personally I believe this to be very deceptive.

Also they don't point out the very large negative impact it will have on your broadband speeds. Now that may or may not matter to a particular customer, but it should be at least made clear so that people can make an informed decision.

As to channel line-up, while there are certainly some subscription only channels, I do feel the channel line up is extremely weak and doesn't include many channels most people expect when paying for TV (e.g. UTV, Sky Channels, etc.).

I do have to say that I believe Eircom are being very deceptive and under hand with their advertising of this product.

They claim it costs just €10 a month, but fail to point out that you can only get it inconjunction with their overpriced broadband.

That's a bit unfair.

On their home page they have one of the famous asterixs after it, and when you look at the asterix at the bottom of the page, it explains about the efibre necessity. Most companies do something similar, which is why people always warn to "read the fine print".
    It is actually more like €20 to €25 per month, compared to getting the same broadband from Vodafone. Personally I believe this to be very deceptive.

Don't know anything about that so can't comment.
    Also they don't point out the very large negative impact it will have on your broadband speeds. Now that may or may not matter to a particular customer, but it should be at least made clear so that people can make an informed decision.

They mightn't broadcast it, but I'd be fairly sure that it's explained to you once you try sign up. Otherwise, I'd imagine, you'd be perfectly within your rights to call shenanigans on them.
    As to channel line-up, while there are certainly some subscription only channels, I do feel the channel line up is extremely weak and doesn't include many channels most people expect when paying for TV (e.g. UTV, Sky Channels, etc.).

Again a fair comment.
    But for a tenner a month, including the ability to record, it'll suit a lot of people.

That should be another €20 in commission for me right there! :rolleyes:

http://www.sky.com/shop/freesat/home/ link for skys fta card which i think costs 20 quid and is a one off charge
    it comprises of 240 channels,

http://www.freeview.co.uk/whats-on/channels for your dave, bbc, itv, ect
    saorview and freesat joint tuner boxes work with your existing sky infrastructure i.e dish and cabling, and boxes are a one off charge, boxes range in prices, but lidl sell one for 17

some nonsense is being talked about alright, only its not from me lads

false advertising a +1 from me to what bk mentioned

edit irish stations for free via aertv , would you like a link?
    http://www.aertv.ie/

now what about my other questions

• Advertisement

So you want 3 decoder boxes instead of one? One for freesat, one for freeview and one for aertv?
    What about the cost of an aerial for the freeview/aertv?
    What about the ability, or lack thereof, to record?
    3 remotes.
    3 hdmi ports needed, or else the added expense of an hdmi switcher.

Still don't see how it's false advertising.

Soarer wrote: »
    So you want 3 decoder boxes instead of one? One for freesat, one for freeview and one for aertv?
    What about the cost of an aerial for the freeview/aertv?
    What about the ability, or lack thereof, to record?
    3 remotes.
    3 hdmi ports needed, or else the added expense of an hdmi switcher.

Still don't see how it's false advertising.
    aertv does not need a box for irish stations, did you not check out the link?
    obviously not
    im still waiting for my previous questions to be answered
    plus wheres your 12 channel list?
    these and my other questions are still unanswered

edit: why does it feel like im talking to enda kenny about his 5 point plan?

http://www.sky.com/shop/freesat/home/ link for skys fta card which i think costs 20 quid and is a one off charge
    it comprises of 240 channels,
    Says its only available to UK addresses. Also all those channels are on Freesat and the only extra ones I can see are 4Music, Liverpool TV and a few Sony movie channels
    http://www.freeview.co.uk/whats-on/channels for your dave, bbc, itv, ect
    Not available to the majority of the country here and also needs additional hardware such as an antenna and box
    saorview and freesat joint tuner boxes work with your existing sky infrastructure i.e dish and cabling, and boxes are a one off charge, boxes range in prices, but lidl sell one for 17
    Yes true you can get a cheap FTA box and also cheap Saorview box (again 2 remotes) but no box on the market that I am aware of will do series record etc and have 7 day EPG for both systems and all the channels as the Eircom box will.
    aertv does not need a box for irish stations, did you not check out the link?
    edit irish stations for free via aertv , would you like a link?
    http://www.aertv.ie/
    PC/Tablet only. Wont work on a TV unless you can show me some magic that you have to get this working on a bog standard TV. Maybe you are shilling for Aertv?

Not true
    Read their website and it states with a big astrix *eVision is only available to eircom residential customers who have signed up to eFibre and is subject to a minimum contract of 18 months. eFibre is subject to availability.

Their TV advert also states that its €10 'as part of a bundle'
    Again not true - read the T&C and you will see
    The maximum broadband speed you may receive when receiving
    the Service is 50 MBPS.

Do UPC point out how buggy their OS can be or how poor the WiFi signal can be? Do Sky point out how poor their router is? Do Vodafone point out that their router might need constant reboots and that you may only get 10mbps on WiFi?
    No. As most compaines dont advertise the possible weaknesses of a service why should Eircom?

now what about my other questions
    What were they again as I think I have answered you in full however you refuse to answer my question on how you see Eircom false advertising
    plus wheres your 12 channel list?
    I think I listed those a few pages back - maybe you missed it
    Setanta
    Dave
    Alibi
    Watch
    Gold
    Really
    Yesterday
    Drama
    Discovery
    Quest
    TLC
    Animal planet
    Comedy Central
    MTV
    some nonsense is being talked about alright, only its not from me lads
    Pot, Kettle, Black!

The OP was about a bargain and I think its been pointed out many times now that this is a bargain for a lot of people and not for others. I dont know why I am defending a service I dont even have and possibly will never have but its a couple of people on this thread that seem to have it in for the service and keep trying to drag it down.
    Its a perfectly capable service at a good price point that will entice a lot of people to sign up - whats wrong with that? What do the 2 main antagonists have against the service and Eircom in general?

i dont know why i bother, if you you dont see them
    who am i to point out that you should have gone to specsavers
    plus if you guys are happy paying extra for mediocrity then all is good
    some people are/will never be happy
    so to find some happy eircom customers paying over the odds is inspirational to me. good for you
    it seems amazing to me you see the little asterix but not the bigger picture in front of your eyes

front of your eyes

what dont we see?

still dodging the question is all I see

Attack the post not the poster please as I dont appreciate being told to go to Specsavers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

I guess we will wait and see if it has a good take up or not. It may suit some it may not suit others but until Vodafone come along with a tv offering, which I doubt will be anytime soon its there as a choice for people to decide if they want it or not at that price.

so to find some happy eircom customers paying over the odds is inspirational to me. good for you
    it seems amazing to me you see the little asterix but not the bigger picture in front of your eyes

You have been proved wrong and that hole you are digging yourself into is getting deeper.

fingers%2Bin%2Byour%2Bears.jpg

You're just arguing for the sake of arguing.

I've posted my situation a few pages back, and you still have enlightened me as to what my alternative is.

It's been said before and I'll say it again. Like most bargains, they suit some people and not others. I believe in my current situation, it's the cheapest option for me. Your solution of aerials/multiple boxes/remotes doesn't suit my needs....not with two lads under 5! But I'm not gonna go off on a rant, putting people down for going that route. ..I can see how it works for some.

You obviously have an issue with Eircom...many do. But don't let your blinkered view of the company dissuade others from what's a genuine bargain...if their situation suits.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I'm going to close this thread because it seems to going round in circles.

There is plenty of threads in cable forms for the more technical questions.

If anything needs to be added to this thread please let one of the mods know, just report this post.

Thanks

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement