Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eVision- free TV for 6 months, €10 a month thereafter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

its not a bad package now still lacking utv though. However if you can get efibre you can almost certainly get vodafone fibre which is 10euro a month cheaper at 40 euro for the unlimited. So that means that really there is only 8euro difference to get sky tv and once you are out of the contract period the deals Sky do brings it into the same price range for a much better tv service.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Faz6r wrote: »
    you forgot to mention your price for your broadband and home telephone :)
    looks like you are actually losing money hand over fist, but hey you are as happy as a pig in ****, good for you

I'm paying €55 per month with Eircom for efibre and all landline calls.
    Sky is discounted to €33.75 for entertainment extra (or whatever they call it) plus multiroom.

If you can explain to me how I'm "losing money hand over fist" then I'm all ears.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Soarer wrote: »
    I'm paying €55 per month with Eircom for efibre and all landline calls.
    Sky is discounted to €33.75 for entertainment extra (or whatever they call it) plus multiroom.

If you can explain to me how I'm "losing money hand over fist" then I'm all ears.

Well I guess what he was thinking is that the equivalent Vodafone VDSL package is only €47.50 and Vodafone can be as low as €35 if you don't need the phone.

Sky Entertainment at €28 would be more equivalent (actually has a lot more channels) to eVision.

Probably the best deal for TV is actually to just cancel Sky and use it as a Freesat box. If a cancelled Sky box still has about 200 channels, most of the channels you are paying eVision for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

bk wrote: »
    Probably the best deal for TV is actually to just cancel Sky and use it as a Freesat box. If a cancelled Sky box still has about 200 channels, most of the channels you are paying eVision for.

That is not a freesat box - it is FTA.

Also you don't have the domestic channels on the same EPG, have the ability to record, series link etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Faz6r

Also you don't have the domestic channels on the same EPG, have the ability to record, series link etc.
    the domestics come through free on saorview, plus some saorview tvs will record and series link for you
    rte player, and tv3 player will have your shows online and some samsung tvs actually have the domestic players installed as apps
    then the free channels via satellite, newer tvs actually have soarview and satellite tuners built in so you could free up space by getting rid of the skybox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

you forgot to mention your price for your broadband and home telephone :)
    looks like you are actually losing money hand over fist, but hey you are as happy as a pig in ****, good for you

Here we go again!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You can get a Freesat from Sky card for about €10.

You can replace your Sky box with a Freesat+ box and it will have the ability to record and series link.

Yes it won't have the Irish channels on the same EPG, but giving the massive amount of money you would save over the years (probably enough for a holiday every year), well worth it IMO and the true TV bargain alert.

You can get a Freesat from Sky card for about €10.

You can replace your Sky box with a Freesat+ box and it will have the ability to record and series link.

Yes it won't have the Irish channels on the same EPG, but giving the massive amount of money you would save over the years (probably enough for a holiday every year), well worth it IMO and the true TV bargain alert.

Then please open a new Bargain Alert for the Free To Air option

Well I guess what he was thinking is that the equivalent Vodafone VDSL package is only €47.50 and Vodafone can be as low as €35 if you don't need the phone.

Like I said, I'm already tied into a contract, so the above doesn't apply.
    Sky Entertainment at €28 would be more equivalent (actually has a lot more channels) to eVision..

Not for my needs. It doesn't have Nick Jr., Discovery or Nat. Geo.

Again not really applicable as the freesat box doesn't have the channels we're looking for.

I think in an ideal world (ie. new customer, not fussed about channels), what yourself and faz6r are talking about is certainly the way to go. But as always, there's not a one size fits all.

But in my position (efibre contract, Sky costing €33.75 with no hd, needing channels for soaps, NickJr, Discovery, Dave, Nat. Geo.), eVision seems to be the best option for what I need, plus it saves us money even with HD.

So again, if someone can tell me something different, I'm all ears.

Then please open a new Bargain Alert for the Free To Air option

I'm going to, I'm currently putting together a guide for the Satellite and Cable TV forums, I'll link to it when done.

• Advertisement

I think in an ideal world (ie. new customer, not fussed about channels), what yourself and faz6r are talking about is certainly the way to go. But as always, there's not a one size fits all.

Well, I had Sky Entertainment Extra, but cancelled and just got a Freesat From
    Sky card instead and I couldn't be happier.

I thought I'd miss Discovery, Nat Geo, etc. as I'm a big documentary watcher, but the reality is what is on these channels isn't really documentaries. They are full of rubbish like Storage Wars. I find the really good documentaries are on the BBC and Channel 4, however I do admit it is a pity that there isn't a 24 hour documentary channel on FTA. It is the one missing piece.

On the other hand there are literally thousands of fantastic documentaries on youtube and Netflick. Far, far better then Discovery.

I'm saving over €400 per year and I'm very happy with that. That is a nice week away in the sun and I still get 200 channels.

Also I would think the CBBC, CBeebies and RTE Junior are excellent alternatives to Nick Jr.
    But in my position (efibre contract, Sky costing €33.75 with no hd, needing channels for soaps, NickJr, Discovery, Dave, Nat. Geo.), eVision seems to be the best option for what I need, plus it saves us money even with HD.

So again, if someone can tell me something different, I'm all ears.

I assume UPC is not available in your area?

I suppose the problem is that you had already locked yourself into an expensive eFibre contract, so now it is a case of in for a penny, in for a pound.

That is what we are trying to warn people about here, think carefully before signing up to Eircoms whole suite of products.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Efibre is available for as low as €25 a month unlimited with VF,you do need to be a mobile bill pay customer & sign up to an 18 month contract.

People should take a look in the Android forum for an Android tv dongle that you can put XBMC on,there's a world of stuff available on it.All free & puts eVision in the ha'penny place. (Not all the stuff on it is strictly legal,eg.SkySports) but I see that as a bonus.;)

I simply can't see Evision as being a bargain at all,mostly fta stuff with a few channels that I'd barely if ever watch.

Well, I had Sky Entertainment Extra, but cancelled and just got a Freesat From
    Sky card instead and I couldn't be happier.

I thought I'd miss Discovery, Nat Geo, etc. as I'm a big documentary watcher, but the reality is what is on these channels isn't really documentaries. They are full of rubbish like Storage Wars. I find the really good documentaries are on the BBC and Channel 4, however I do admit it is a pity that there isn't a 24 hour documentary channel on FTA. It is the one missing piece.

On the other hand there are literally thousands of fantastic documentaries on youtube and Netflick. Far, far better then Discovery.

I'm saving over €400 per year and I'm very happy with that. That is a nice week away in the sun and I still get 200 channels.

Also I would think the CBBC, CBeebies and RTE Junior are excellent alternatives to Nick Jr.

I assume UPC is not available in your area?

I suppose the problem is that you had already locked yourself into an expensive eFibre contract, so now it is a case of in for a penny, in for a pound.

That is what we are trying to warn people about here, think carefully before signing up to Eircoms whole suite of products.

Nope, no UPC.

And I appreciate warning people about costs. But faz6r's comment of "looks like you are actually losing money hand over fist, but hey you are as happy as a pig in ****, good for you" doesn't help. Certainly doesn't help me in my position when there's no alternative offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Look, for the THIRD time- for anyone who is on eFibre but gets their TV through UPC then there is a saving of €392 to be had over the course of 18 months with the caveat that eVision has 30 channels and UPC has 50.

It's a great deal for some, mainly for people outside of Dublin who do not have the same range of tv/broadband choices that those in the capital do. There are thousands of people out there who can save themselves €392 if they are willing to forgo 20 channels... as the poster Tui0hcg said his mother in law will be dropping her Sky subscription for 27 a month and moving to eVision- by doing so she will save herself nearly €400 over the course of 18 months - now do you see the bargain ? Or are you seriously arguing that a saving that large isn't a bargain ?

Not everyone in Ireland lives in Dublin like yourself and has all the various TV/broadband options available to them. For those that have access to the Eircom broadband network but are reliant on Sky for TV this is most certainly a bargain. Just because it isn't a bargain for your circumstances doesn't mean it isn't for others, as the previous poster attested to.

Have you ever READ the previous comparisons????:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Del007

zerks wrote: »
    Efibre is available for as low as €25 a month unlimited with VF,you do need to be a mobile bill pay customer & sign up to an 18 month contract

Do you have a link for that?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Del007 wrote: »

Cheers
    January offer with vf. 3 months free then 35 a month for remainder 15 months.

Del007 wrote: »

Cheers
    option 1 for existing customers 27 yoyos pm
    http://www.uswitch.ie/broadband/providers/vodafone/?gclid=CNOdiJa6pLwCFQjjwgodAngAuA

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Downloads 20gb limit:eek: And €39.99 connection fee:(.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Downloads 20gb limit:eek: And €39.99 connection fee:(.

I paid no connection fee and got unlimited for €25 a month,CS were surprised when I asked for that option as "not too many know about it".As I said you need to be a mobile bill pay customer also.

zerks wrote: »
    I paid no connection fee and got unlimited for €25 a month,CS were surprised when I asked for that option as "not too many know about it".As I said you need to be a mobile bill pay customer also.

Seems to be an offer not available to all so in that case as I am a mobile bill pay customer and the best offer they would give me is €37 for unlimited download fibre (70mbps) and 100 mins home phone. I also paid no connection fee day one but that was a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

So got evision in and I have to say it's pretty good. No problems so far. The UI is very good, play and record works well.
    Nice little optical out port on the evision box which is very helpful.

So got evision in and I have to say it's pretty good. No problems so far. The UI is very good, play and record works well.
    Nice little optical out port on the evision box which is very helpful.
    pretty good compared to what?
    maybe its pretty good compared to staring at the walls for 8 hours
    a friend of mine had this and it was abysmal
    the noise from his box was unreal
    he had to pump up the volume to drown it out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Must have been damaged, I would advice him to return it as there isn't a sound out of mine which is working perfect.

Compared to Sky.

It's actually a lot more functional in many ways. Could do with a few more channels but these are being added all the time so alls good.

Also my connection speed is averaging 45 mps but this drops to 40mbps with the TV on. Not a big deal but just something to be aware of.

I think you've had more than your say on this thread. It's obvious you've something against Eircom. Maybe it's your Meteor Nightmare?

Alpha Dog gave his personal experience with evision, unlike your "my friend" story, and you still had to have a dig.

Give it a rest, eh?!

Edit: Thanks for the small report Alpha Dog. Been humming and hawing about it for a while.

my only problem with eircom is the false advertising and the blatant shilling by a minority here on this thread
    trying to get people to sign up for a service that is essentially free, just to tie them down to an 18month contract at hefty prices.

as discussed before the channels being offered are fta channels with the exception of 1 or 2

my question is how much commision are yourself and alphadog1 getting?
    or maybe it boosts your share prices via the esop/esot
    either way its time to stop with the shilling and the lies

more competition in the market is always a good thing and given time and the lack of interest in this evision service by people with more worldly experience, then eircom may actually offer a decent alternative
    but thats in the future and not now with the current evision offering

if evision was so good, why would eircom feel the need to falsely advertise it?
    why would they need to send cold callers to peoples homes in order to sign up for it?
    why would they need people out shilling for them?

So reducing your fiber speed by up to 20mbs for TV is good and charging u 10 more than Vodafone month is good? I do hear a lot more negative than positive reports.they should at least add UTv to it

Blah Blah

Yet another rant, except this time you've outdone yourself by falsely claiming I work for eircom (don't know what Alpha's story is).

Anyways, I gave you my situation on the previous page, and I'm still waiting for you to come up with a viable alternative for me.

When you do, I'll lower myself to engage with you again. Until then, keep fighting the good fight.

P.S. what have you got against Eircom employees ESOT/ESOP?

So reducing your fiber speed by up to 20mbs for TV is good and charging u 10 more than Vodafone month is good? I do hear a lot more negative than positive reports.they should at least add UTv to it

Where are you getting 20mbs from?

Eircom rep posted answer on a thread to that effect

• Advertisement

I can confirm this is 100% correct. I don't work for Eircom but you can read it for yourself on Eircoms technical documentation on the Eircom wholesale website.

When you sign up to eVision, Eircom will move you from a standard profile to a stable profile.

For instance if you are currently on the 70mb/s profile, then when you sign up to eVision you will be changed to the stable profile of 50mb/s

They do this to give a more consistent performance so that the TV works smoothly.

In addition to this, each SD channel that you watch/record uses 2.5mb/s and each HD channel uses 10mb/s

Just something to be aware of if you sign up for this service.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement