Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skoda Cycle Series

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

Anyone know is this being revived for 2015? Great day out last year

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Hollywood130

It is marty, I heard its starting in Sligo in early april

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭2x4

The Wicklow leg of the Skoda Sportive Series starts in Bray on 25th April.

http://www.fitmagazine.ie/events/race/skoda-cycle-series-wicklow-sportive-2015

(Link shamelessly pilfered from another thread)

Highly recommended day out, extremely well organised event and all for a good cause

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

http://www.fitmagazine.ie/events/race/skoda-cycle-series-wicklow-sportive-2015

(Link shamelessly pilfered from another thread)

Highly recommended day out, extremely well organised event and all for a good cause

That's a much better route than last year, get the climb done first for the most part!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭midlands1

Is anyone having any bother trying to register, Every time I try to register it says email not in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

midlands1 wrote: »
    Is anyone having any bother trying to register, Every time I try to register it says email not in use.

I registered for the Wicklow one about a week ago, and I had no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mf2909

I tried to regiter for westport but same issue as above. I did register for tour de connemara though in may

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Anyone do the Sligo cycle last week?
    What was in the goody bag they were giving out?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ispyvisuals

marvin80 wrote: »
    Anyone do the Sligo cycle last week?
    What was in the goody bag they were giving out?

Real poor compared to last year. An inner tube, a pack of gels, small light(batteries not included) and a cotton t shirt.

No precision timing on day either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭heartofwhite

Anybody signed up for the 120k in Longford this weekend? Just wondering what it has been like in previous years regarding numbers and food stops etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭midlands1

Anybody signed up for the 120k in Longford this weekend? Just wondering what it has been like in previous years regarding numbers and food stops etc.
    Think this is the first year in Longford.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

midlands1 wrote: »
    Think this is the first year in Longford.

There was one last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭silver campaign

The Longford Sportif was run last year as the Ross Carr memorial cycle. It was a 100km cycle with good numbers turning out, (I'd guess 300?) good food and well marshalled.

This year it is being run as part of the skoda cycle series. The route is being extended to 120kms, with the addition of a 5km climb (not very steep) and a nice drag in the last 25kms.

It should be a good route, I'd recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Can you sign up on the morning of the Longford ride,as reg is now closed online??

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭silver campaign

Can you sign up on the morning of the Longford ride,as reg is now closed online??

As far as I know online registration closed today but you can still sign on on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Did the Wicklow one last year and was hoping to do again next Saturday.
    Last year it took in the Shay Elliott and Glencree climbs I think. This year the route is changed, and I'm not accustomed to the various climbs in Wicklow. Thing is, if I'm heading all the way to Wicklow, I want to at least do some of the named climbs I hear you guys going on about. Don't want to head up there just for a few drags. Or am I reading the mapmyride profile a bit wrongly?
    Could somebody familiar with the area let me know what climbs are on this years route.
    Not up to doing full boards evil 200 style climbing and unfortunately WW 200 (my original target) clashes with other commitments this year. Would Orwell Radonee (if not already full) be a better bet for some such climbs?, or any other upcoming event?
    Thanks in advance.
    Route
    http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/655700920

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Cyclewizard

Planning on doing this on Saturday can we enter on the day does anyone know? Thanks

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    Did the Wicklow one last year and was hoping to do again next Saturday.
    Last year it took in the Shay Elliott and Glencree climbs I think. This year the route is changed, and I'm not accustomed to the various climbs in Wicklow. Thing is, if I'm heading all the way to Wicklow, I want to at least do some of the named climbs I hear you guys going on about. Don't want to head up there just for a few drags. Or am I reading the mapmyride profile a bit wrongly?
    Could somebody familiar with the area let me know what climbs are on this years route.
    Not up to doing full boards evil 200 style climbing and unfortunately WW 200 (my original target) clashes with other commitments this year. Would Orwell Radonee (if not already full) be a better bet for some such climbs?, or any other upcoming event?
    Thanks in advance.
    Route
    http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/655700920

I have signed up for this. Maybe others will know better. The only part of the route that I am familiar with is up to Sally Gap. Thats within the first 30km.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I have signed up for this. Maybe others will know better. The only part of the route that I am familiar with is up to Sally Gap. Thats within the first 30km.

Not a major hilly route - Glencullen Johnnie foxes at start then across to pine forest/cruagh and up Sally Gap, across into Laragh, back home via roundwood over djouce (that is tough road) and back via enniskerry

Orwell cycle would be much more severe if you want big climbs

• Advertisement

Planning on doing this on Saturday can we enter on the day does anyone know? Thanks

Can't say for certain, but you should have no problem just turning up. Would recommend you get there a bit early, as last year sign off was a bit all over the shop. Also parking was a total mare (as my kids would say).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It is a strange route alright. From Kilternan up to Foxes is a climb, across Pine Forest to Cruagh Road is uphill but more of a drag than a climb. Cruagh Road to the viewing area is a climb and then across to the top of Featherbeds. Short downhill and then up Sally Gap, but thats pretty much the tough climbing done.

It will still be a tough cycle after that though, but draggy rather than climbs. Across Sally Gap to Glenmacnaas can be tricky depending on the weather. The route over Djouice again can be pretty tough, especially towards the end of a cycle and if the weather is against you, but again it is more a long drag than a climb like Killakee or whatever.

But then it's not all about climbing. Plenty of work to be done on these roads and you can make the course as tough as you want it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I have done the route or most of it twice in the last few weeks, its not that difficult if you're a reasonable cyclist, I only did the smaller route last year myself but from what I can tell the climb last year for the longer one was much more difficult especially at the end when you needed to go all the way back up to Glencree. This year most of the climbing is at the start.

bullvine wrote: »
    I have done the route or most of it twice in the last few weeks, its not that difficult if you're a reasonable cyclist, I only did the smaller route last year myself but from what I can tell the climb last year for the longer one was much more difficult especially at the end when you needed to go all the way back up to Glencree. This year most of the climbing is at the start.

+1, it definetely an easier route than last year. I also think the route last year was longer maybe 120K?

For this Saturdays event what time is sign in open at. Would you be able to sign in on Friday night?

For this Saturdays event what time is sign in open at. Would you be able to sign in on Friday night?

Last year you could sign on/get your goodie bag on the Friday night in Sandyford but there's been diddly squat communication this year.

So, short answer-don't know!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

Here's the answer the organisers gave on their Facebook page.

We will have a LIMITED number of places available on the day from 7.30 - 8.30am, but you can also register on Friday evening from 6-8pm at the Pasta Party in the Spirit Skoda Garage in Sandyford. Ideally if you could register online here http://www.fitmagazine.ie/events/race/skoda-cycle-series-wicklow-sportive-2015 it would be great for us! Thanks!

lissard wrote: »
    Here's the answer the organisers gave on their Facebook page.

Thanks for that, pity they wouldn't put that on the website for those of us who don't use Facetube!!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Cyclewizard

I didn't do any of these last year what sort of numbers would they be expecting for the tour of Wicklow does anyone know? And do they have jerseys available? There isn't much info on the website at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

I didn't do any of these last year what sort of numbers would they be expecting for the tour of Wicklow does anyone know? And do they have jerseys available? There isn't much info on the website at all

They had 600 last year. No jerseys this time round from what I can see.

Advertisement