Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skoda Cycle Series

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

EaSwe wrote: »
    Where?

Looks like linking doesn't work. On the main page on the menu at the top you need to click on 'The Event' and then 'The Stages'. Garmin links are at the bottom. As someone later pointed out these may be from last year, but I guess they are still useful to get an idea of the amount of climbing in each stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭EaSwe

HivemindXX wrote: »
    Looks like linking doesn't work. On the main page on the menu at the top you need to click on 'The Event' and then 'The Stages'. Garmin links are at the bottom. As someone later pointed out these may be from last year, but I guess they are still useful to get an idea of the amount of climbing in each stage.

I think your link includes the bracket so that's probably why it's giving a 404.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

I might do the first 2 stages, not sure about the 3rd day a 170 Km slog which includes the Conor pass is not for me, and do not under estimate Sliabh Mish, a right little sting in the tail there!!:eek:

I think the 3rd day is the longest of the 3 alright (it was the first day last year) but I don't think it includes the Conor Pass. That's on Day 2 which goes round the Dingle peninsula and was an absolutely cracking day's spin last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭goldenboots

The Tour of Kerry was a great event last year. The routes have switched around this year. What are 1,2 and 3 this year were 2,3 and 1 last year.

I remember reading that the Tour of Kerry leg for the Skoda series, which is stage 1, was described as going around the Dingle peninsula. However, the first stage goes around Gap of Dunloe, Molls Gap and Sliabh Mish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Has anyone had any problems trying to register for this years event? I went through the application process but when i tried to pay through paypal, several times, it would not let me finish the registration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

Has anyone had any problems trying to register for this years event? I went through the application process but when i tried to pay through paypal, several times, it would not let me finish the registration.

Registered about a week ago without problems, including paying via paypal. let it go a couple of days and try again?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭666bxg

Has anyone any local info about the route of the Wicklow series on 12/4/14?

I'm interested in doing this one and like a bit of challenge. Not sure if I'm to doing the 2x Cat 3 and 1x cat 5 climbs in the one day though!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

I take it you're talking about the 60k route. Well from what I can see the hardest climb is the long hill around the Sugarloaf. It's about 15-20 minutes of climbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭666bxg

lissard wrote: »
    I take it you're talking about the 60k route. Well from what I can see the hardest climb is the long hill around the Sugarloaf. It's about 15-20 minutes of climbing.

Yes I meant to say I was contemplating the 60k ride.

Thanks for the useful information. Guess it's down to more training now at this point for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

lissard wrote: »

If you're not used to it that one is tough enough but it's not insurmountable by any means. Choose a low gear and stick with it and you'll get over it alright. Don't forget you're cycling in a group which is always easier anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 kimbaines

The Tour of Kerry was a great event last year. The routes have switched around this year. What are 1,2 and 3 this year were 2,3 and 1 last year.

I remember reading that the Tour of Kerry leg for the Skoda series, which is stage 1, was described as going around the Dingle peninsula. However, the first stage goes around Gap of Dunloe, Molls Gap and Sliabh Mish.

As far as i am aware the first route on the Tour of Kerry is the one round Killarney, gap of dunloe etc. This is the day that is part of the Skoda series. The second day is the Dingle Peninsula and the third day is North Kerry. Each day offers the option of 50 miles or 100 miles. There are some tough climbs especially on days 1&2 so you need to be fairly fit if you are attempting the longer distances. However this was a great event last year and i hope it will be equally as good this year. Cost is €30 per day and a Skoda / TKAS shirt is available for €15 extra (great value for the top if its the same as the one i got last year) Everyone gets a timing chip as well which keeps track of your times for each leg. Last year they had category winners for various age groups and King of the mountains etc - Not that i was involved! Lots of clubs took part esp a huge gang from Orwell Wheelers - Nice bunch! Looking forward to this already as weather should be good and i should have racked up a few more miles by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Tour of wicklow 110km looks a tough route.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/346423501

All the usual climbs up/down/up/down

at least the run into the finish from 95k is mostly down hill

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

bazermc wrote: »
    Tour of wicklow 110km looks a tough route.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/346423501

All the usual climbs up/down/up/down

at least the run into the finish from 95k is mostly down hill

Does anybody know if you have to pre-register for this, or can you just sign up on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

http://www.fitmagazine.ie/
    pre registration is available through the fit magazine website.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

http://www.fitmagazine.ie/
    pre registration is available through the fit magazine website.

Yeah, but won't get to know if I can go until evening before. Do I have to pre-register or can I just turn up on the day?

Oops just checked. Can register up to 5 pm evening before. Guess they need pre-reg for timing chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Has anyone noticed the 100k route for the IRD Duhallow Cycle (the cork one) is really only 70k ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Ernest Oreo

Peter T wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed the 100k route for the IRD Duhallow Cycle (the cork one) is really only 70k ?

mockery

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

mockery

Ah now I didnt mean it like that :) . I'll be doing it myself and dragging a few friends with me but using a route that's almost a 1/3 shorter than whats advertised is a bit of a letdown.

Peter T wrote: »
    Ah now I didnt mean it like that :) . I'll be doing it myself and dragging a few friends with me but using a route that's almost a 1/3 shorter than whats advertised is a bit of a letdown.

no its still a mockery in my book
    this whole skoda series seems a little amateurish if i'm honest - getting that mcfadden one involved was a bad start..
    i wonder what the uptake is like??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 96 ✭✭mruser2014

no its still a mockery in my book
    this whole skoda series seems a little amateurish if i'm honest - getting that mcfadden one involved was a bad start..
    i wonder what the uptake is like??

Ya that was a bad move. I guess she came cheap if not free as she is mad to get her face in anything.

It doesn't paint a good picture foe the cycle.

I will still do the Wicklow one as it looks a nice spin.

• Advertisement

mruser2014 wrote: »
    I guess she came cheap if not free as she is mad to get her face in anything.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Hollywood130

Heard there was a promo code for registering anyone find it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

I will still do the Wicklow one as it looks a nice spin.

Organisers in Wicklow ( Bray Cancer Support...) have run good events before. They know what they are doing as some of them are Sportive Riders and have shown themselves to be open to suggestions and helpful criticism.With Skoda putting a few bob in I reckon this will be even better and I am looking forward to what they will do in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

cant see the point of the sligo 2 weeks before the an post event is really stupid on some of the same roads !

know a few people going but not many most hanging fire for the an post, certainly for our club our sportive is on the following day so we'll be working on that

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭EaSwe

cant see the point of the sligo 2 weeks before the an post event is really stupid on some of the same roads !

know a few people going but not many most hanging fire for the an post, certainly for our club our sportive is on the following day so we'll be working on that

The An Post cycle isn't until May 4th, another 4 weeks away, not two.

The Sligo one is a but of an odd route and few people I've spoken to are uneasy with how much of the cycle is on the N59, that it mightn't be the safest road to use for such an event. The an post cycle stays off it as much as it can afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

EaSwe wrote: »
    The An Post cycle isn't until May 4th, another 4 weeks away, not two.

sorry 4 weeks still crazy trying to have 2 big events up here that close together imo why not have it later in the year,

yeh n59 hadnt considered that especially on a saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Cyclewizard

was thinking of doing the wicklow one next week. looked through the FAQ but still a bit confused about the jersey / race pack? does anyone know if they are sent out or we pick them up? it only says 'prior to event 6pm-9pm' no other details. Its a bit confusing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

was thinking of doing the wicklow one next week. looked through the FAQ but still a bit confused about the jersey / race pack? does anyone know if they are sent out or we pick them up? it only says 'prior to event 6pm-9pm' no other details. Its a bit confusing

When you enter this info re collection of gear is in the confirmation email you will receive:

Time : 6:00pm-9:00pm

Venue : The Bray Emmetts GAA Club, Old Conna Avenue, Bray, Co. Wicklow

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 96 ✭✭mruser2014

Organisers in Wicklow ( Bray Cancer Support...) have run good events before. They know what they are doing as some of them are Sportive Riders and have shown themselves to be open to suggestions and helpful criticism.With Skoda putting a few bob in I reckon this will be even better and I am looking forward to what they will do in the future

Thanks. Ya looking forward to it now.

Many on here doing it?

Bit annoying having to go down the night before to pick up the registration pack but sure it has to be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 tartanarmy

Thanks. Ya looking forward to it now.

Many on here doing it?

Bit annoying having to go down the night before to pick up the registration pack but sure it has to be done.

Did the Sligo one at the weekend. They had registration on the Saturday morning but fairly sure this was only added to the website late on as I wasn't going to make it if you couldn't register on the day. Paid online in advance. Might be worth trying to contact someone there to see.

I'd be surprised if they didn't offer the same everywhere. Good event though, well marshalled, good food stops.

Advertisement