Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it a bit much...?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I think most of the reply's are probably quite correct but not knowing the reasons why leaves me more to think that the reply's are probably from good honest catholic church going folks . never threw a stone and dont live in glass houses and id say have a reasonable form of income. i have been in that situation before for reasons i cant discuss but thankfully i now have my own home with no mortgage and if a person needs some help and support in difficult times why post negative reports . i hope some of these people never need help with finances or other issues because sympathy votes are hard got folks . I to am was a land lord to a single parent and as difficult it was to receive payment it was not on the fault of the person involved it was the fault of social welfare dept they accepted my rent offer and the fu***rs got it hard to lodge my contracted money into my account so it was nt the fault of the person who was renting the person was paying the correct amount and it was welfare that came up short ,

The only reason social welfare do not pay out is because people don't provide all the information on time . However it is the HSE that pay RA up until very recently. You don't get rent paid without the full information not the LL fault or problem.

I am not catholic so superstition wouldn't count but at that the expression is not a catholic one nor religious. It actually means don't cause offense if easily offended so not relevant either.

A LL is not an additional support system for tenant's finances.

I can have sympathy but that doesn't mean I have to be the one that pays for somebody else's problems. Still no excuse for simply not paying rent and failing to inform the LL.

Big Davey wrote: »
    I doubt you would. Try paying a mortgage on a property that the Tenant is living in rent free and basically laughing at you. Then you can bring a PRTB case that will take about a year to maybe get some of your money back with a payment plan of say €25 a week. Try getting your house back that you saved hard to get in bits with thousands of euros worth of damage that you then have to sort out before you can rent out again and THEN pay tax on any little scrap of profit you "may" have. The Doleites in this country living in private rented accommodation payed for by the state are the new rich in this country.

Just like most people who have a business, landlords will encounter difficulties. But you said "Landlords are the most vulnerable people in society at the moment". Seriously what society are you living in? When I think of the most vulnerable people in society, I think of the homeless and children who are emotionally/physically abused.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

Just like most people who have a business, landlords will encounter difficulties. But you said "Landlords are the most vulnerable people in society at the moment". Seriously what society are you living in? When I think of the most vulnerable people in society, I think of the homeless and children who are emotionally/physically abused.
    Are you homeless ?
    We're you ever abused ?
    I have never been either of the above than god but I can tell you I feel quite vulnerable at the moment. As a hard working honest tax payer I am paying a mortgage on my own house keeping a family a job a life and paying my rentals mortgage and incurring hefty damage bills while nobody seems to care ! Not even the state that is putting food in this persons mouth cares. It's wrong.
    If you are so keen on being a landlord why don't you do it ? It does involve quite a lot of "doing" instead of just "talking" though.

Are you homeless ?
    We're you ever abused ?
    I have never been either of the above than god but I can tell you I feel quite vulnerable at the moment. As a hard working honest tax payer I am paying a mortgage on my own house keeping a family a job a life and paying my rentals mortgage and incurring hefty damage bills while nobody seems to care ! Not even the state that is putting food in this persons mouth cares. It's wrong.
    If you are so keen on being a landlord why don't you do it ? It does involve quite a lot of "doing" instead of just "talking" though.

I have never been homeless, but yes I was abused as a child.

I am not denying you feel vulnerable at the moment. Like you I have a business and have had difficult times in the past and felt vulnerable.

But you said "Landlords are the most vulnerable people in society at the moment". To me this is a ridiculous statement by any stretch of the imagination.

I am not keen to be a landlord. What brought you to this conclusion?

You said and I quote " I would love to live in that society" so that's why I came to that conclusion.
    Thanks

I have never been homeless, but yes I was abused as a child.

I am not denying you feel vulnerable at the moment. Like you I have a business and have had difficult times in the past and felt vulnerable.

But you said "Landlords are the most vulnerable people in society at the moment". To me this is a ridiculous statement by any stretch of the imagination.

I am not keen to be a landlord. What brought you to this conclusion?

• Advertisement

You said and I quote " I would love to live in that society" so that's why I came to that conclusion.
    Thanks

I do not get the link you are making.

Me saying I would love to live in a society where landlords are the most vulnerable people does not mean I am keen to be a landlord.

You are clearly jumping to conclusions.

Its means if there is a society where the most vulnerable people in it are landlords, I would want to live in this society as obviously there would be no homeless or abused children in this society, as the homeless and abused children are far more vulnerable than landlords with business problems.

While living in this society created by your mind, I would not be keen to be a landlord. I would probably be doing what I am doing right now.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Folks can we get back on topic please.
    Thanks

Morri

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Since I am not entitled to my deposit back for termination of a fixed lease due to no heating supplied to the house as part of the landlord's contracted obligations, I wouldn't say anyone is on my side. I wouldn't say my landlord is being victimised either.
    Yes you are. The landlord is legally required to provide heating.So they breached the contract. You are even entitled to damages for any loss you suffered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Unfortunately for the landlord, he cannot evict you for being late with the rent, all he can do is serve you an arrears notice.

It's a shame to see so many landlords in trouble because their tenants don't pay what they owe.
    We should have a system here that allows LL's to toss delinquent tenants out on the street within 2 weeks or less.
    Personally, I like the 3 day notice to pay or quit in California, but no chance of that here unfortunately.

OP - if your employer didn't pay you would you find that reasonable?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

...that after 8 months of residence in a rented house, with zero issues or missed payments, that we get threatened with eviction over the Jan payment being 3 weeks late?

Honestly, I'm looking to be set straight if I am wrong in expecting more leniency, but I was just very shocked when the agent mentioned eviction.

On the phone call I told him the situation, completely apologised and then a gave solution. What surprised and annoyed me was that the call went on far beyond that, into a lecture / threatening kind of tone.

I can only assume they're legally able to kick us out, even though its a minor offence.

Is this not all a bit much though?

How long should landlord leave it in your opinion ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Unfortunately for the landlord, he cannot evict you for being late with the rent, all he can do is serve you an arrears notice.

It's a shame to see so many landlords in trouble because their tenants don't pay what they owe.
    We should have a system here that allows LL's to toss delinquent tenants out on the street within 2 weeks or less.
    Personally, I like the 3 day notice to pay or quit in California, but no chance of that here unfortunately.

OP - if your employer didn't pay you would you find that reasonable?

Yep, that's why nearly 30% of BTL mortgages are in arrears, those pesky good-for-nothing tenants!

The current mechanisms for removing a tenant for non payment suggest that a tenant's deposit should be in the order of 3-4 months at least.
    This would come close to providing an adequate buffer in case of non payment-assuming the prtb process could be significantly sped up.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I had a tenant in the past who would inform me if they were going to have an issue with paying on time/in full and I would work with them and agree a plan. Did this a few times, but it was a tough lesson. As they did this again and because it had worked out in the past and trying to work with them I ended up stung and the house cleared out. So never again would I be accommodating, its an agreement and I want to be paid on time, in full as agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

I was personally in a situation where my LL was taking rent (paid on time and in full) and hadn't paid the mortgage for years-the house was repossessed and I had to move as no one seemed sure what would happen to my family!

Not all LL's (or tenants) are perfect but they definitely aren't the most vulnerable-you try having to hope the mortgage is being paid and having no way to check!

Op i had a situation recently where the rent was late (through no fault of mine), I paid interest on the arrears as well as paying in full ASAP, it wasn't a huge amount but they appreciated the gesture.
    Maybe offer something like that as an apology?

fash wrote: »
    The current mechanisms for removing a tenant for non payment suggest that a tenant's deposit should be in the order of 3-4 months at least.
    This would come close to providing an adequate buffer in case of non payment-assuming the prtb process could be significantly sped up.

If you think tenants are going to have thousands of euro to spare, while waiting for the previous deposit of thousands of euro back from the previous landlord...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

gaius c wrote: »
    If you think tenants are going to have thousands of euro to spare, while waiting for the previous deposit of thousands of euro back from the previous landlord...
    That's a valid point. However, if that is not possible, then the mechanism by which a tenant can be removed needs to be amended. It's far too cumbersome and slow.

That's a valid point. However, if that is not possible, then the mechanism by which a tenant can be removed needs to be amended. It's far too cumbersome and slow.

Doubt you'll hear much argument against that from here.

That's a fact.

gaius c wrote: »

I am merely pointing out what is implied by the legislation-how it would be achieved is by requiring double rental payments for the first few months- to build up to the full deposit within the first 6 months. This gives an opportunity to get the previous deposit back too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

fash wrote: »
    I am merely pointing out what is implied by the legislation-how it would be achieved is by requiring double rental payments for the first few months- to build up to the full deposit within the first 6 months. This gives an opportunity to get the previous deposit back too.
    That's one way of approaching it. The other is that the PTSB actually does its job. As part of that, the unworkable procedure for evicting a non-compliant tenant needs to be amended. That's what would be done in any other state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

That's one way of approaching it. The other is that the PTSB actually does its job. As part of that, the unworkable procedure for evicting a non-compliant tenant needs to be amended. That's what would be done in any other state.
    UK system is very similar to here and takes as long to get people out. Not uniquely Irish. Many countries have policies that are drawn out when it involves removing people from property.

Advertisement