Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it a bit much...?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Big Davey wrote: »
    Personally if you have a good reason your landlord is being unfair in my opinion .

There is no such thing as a good reason not to pay your rent on time, and to leave it three weeks to explain to the LL why only after he calls you.

No excuses for late rent are ever acceptable, your perception is completely and utterly skewed.

if your payroll department told you your wages would be three weeks later but they had a "good reason" would that be acceptable ? No why would you think rent would be any different

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Emergency maybe, but straight after Christmas do you think it was an emergency or over spending?

A tenant after 8 months can't build up that much good will in my opinion.

Not my call to make why they were late with the; the OP doesnt say why they were late and we would only be speculating if we were to guess.

Again how much goodwill they have built up is up to the landlord to decide; its not our call to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

D3PO wrote: »
    I agree with you but I also recognise that many people have no option but to leave pay cheque to pay cheque

Have to agree here, there is a ludacris underlying assumption that people in question earn enough money to have some left over to save for an emergency. Myself and my partner live week-to-week because I am a full-time student and he gets a pretty okay wage, most of which goes on rent and bills. After all necessities are purchased/paid for, we're lucky to have enough left over to cover his petrol expenses for work and buy more milk and bread mid-week.

On a side note, if you know the rent is going to be late, tell the landlord. If you think the rent is going to be late, tell the landlord. If you overspend, don't bother to tell the landlord and just pretend nothing happened... expect to get your verbal warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

There is no such thing as a good reason not to pay your rent on time, and to leave it three weeks to explain to the LL why only after he calls you.

No excuses for late rent are ever acceptable, your perception is completely and utterly skewed.
    You are probably right BUT if the Tenant fell behind and was going to catch up with their rent maybe something could be worked out ? The other scenario is if the Tenant just stops paying it could take 12 months to get them out. You are right in the way things "should" work but in real life it's better to try to work things out on a personal level "most" people renting are ok in my opinion.

Verbal warning lol big deal !
    14 day notice letter big deal !
    Evection notice big deal !
    The law is 100% on the side of the Tenant, PRTB is a joke. Landlords are the most vulnerable people in society at the moment.

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Have to agree here, there is a ludacris underlying assumption that people in question earn enough money to have some left over to save for an emergency. Myself and my partner live week-to-week because I am a full-time student and he gets a pretty okay wage, most of which goes on rent and bills. After all necessities are purchased/paid for, we're lucky to have enough left over to cover his petrol expenses for work and buy more milk and bread mid-week.

On a side note, if you know the rent is going to be late, tell the landlord. If you think the rent is going to be late, tell the landlord. If you overspend, don't bother to tell the landlord and just pretend nothing happened... expect to get your verbal warning.

• Advertisement

murphaph wrote: »
    But you wouldn't be so cheeky as to ask Tesco to let you eat their food for 3 weeks before you paid them. It's a business relationship to be treated as such. To me a tenant who asks for a 3 week interest free loan is as bad as a landlord who waits 3 weeks to fix a broken heating system. Neither are acceptable in this business relationship. It should be professional, from both sides.

Some landlords might be a bit soft and feel pressured into agreeing an interest free loan, when they don't really want to. It's just not on asking someone who isn't either a bank or a very close friend or family for credit like that.

If your landlord asked you for a loan of a few hundred quid for 3 weeks how would you feel?

Its not Tescos we are talking about, its an ongoing long term agreement.

Look, you can start talking about interest free loans or whatever if you like; end of the day its up to the landlord how they want to approach it. If there is a good landlord tenant relationship then I really dont see the harm in ringing in advance and saying that there may be an issue, and seeing if there is any room for flexibility with the rent. Worst that the landlord can say is no.

If the landlord feels pressurized by this then thats really their own problem. Its not an unreasonable conversation to have if youre in trouble for whatever reason (provided its a once off and not happening every month), and as a landlord if its something that you have a problem with then you need to learn to toughen up and say no if you dont want to/cant agree to it.

The law is 100% on the side of the Tenant, PRTB is a joke. Landlords are the most vulnerable people in society at the moment.

Some tenants, like myself, would take a notice of eviction very seriously. It is nothing to be laughed at.
    Since I am not entitled to my deposit back for termination of a fixed lease due to no heating supplied to the house as part of the landlord's contracted obligations, I wouldn't say anyone is on my side. I wouldn't say my landlord is being victimised either.

if your payroll department told you your wages would be three weeks later but they had a "good reason" would that be acceptable ? No why would you think rent would be any different

Everyone can find themselves in financial difficulties. Its not ideal, but its how they handle them is the issue, not that they exist. Could be any number of genuine emergency reasons why someone might struggle with the rent for a month. I dont think that its unreasonable to be upfront with the landlord and explain the situation if its arises. Im sure most reasonable people would not have a problem working with someone who is in genuine trouble to help them find a solution rather than just saying tough ****, its not my problem, find the money however.

I agree that in this case the OP should not have left it three weeks before addressing the issue; thats obviously just a bad way of handling the situation.

As for the wages; its happened to most of us Im sure at some point. Nobody likes being in that situation, but these things happen from time to time.

NB it doesn't really matter who the above quote was from. I'm just railing against the fact that so many people seem to live from pay-cheque to pay-cheque, with no thought of having a emergency stash of cash to cover interruptions to the pay cheques. Pure daft, IMHO.

Get off your high horse ffs. Not everyone is lucky enough to financially comfortable enough to be able to build up emergency savings. I doubt many like living from month to month, but if you think that the majority of people are in such a situation by choice then you really need to cop onto yourself.

You are probably right BUT if the Tenant fell behind and was going to catch up with their rent maybe something could be worked out ? The other scenario is if the Tenant just stops paying it could take 12 months to get them out. You are right in the way things "should" work but in real life it's better to try to work things out on a personal level "most" people renting are ok in my opinion.

I'm not saying something couldn't be worked out. Look most people are reasonable if something happened and could be remedied with a little co operation as a LL you would have to genuinely consider the situation based on your history with the tenant and make the right decision based on yours and the tenants situation.

However don't confuse working out something as the LL finding the situation to be acceptable they are two totally separate things.

Personally speaking I wouldn't be ameniable to working something out with a tenant that's in only 8 months, is 3 weeks later with rent and didn't even bother their arse contacting me until I chased them, and Im not the only one that would have that opinion either.

as for getting them out. If somebody is going to hang in for 12 months without paying rent as you get an eviction processed the facts are they were always planning to do that anyway. Somebody that takes that approach is a scumbag and quite frankly would never had intended paying their rent anyway sop working out a way to resolve the issue would only delay the inevitable.

• Advertisement

djimi wrote: »
    Everyone can find themselves in financial difficulties. Its not ideal, but its how they handle them is the issue, not that they exist. Could be any number of genuine emergency reasons why someone might struggle with the rent for a month. I dont think that its unreasonable to be upfront with the landlord and explain the situation if its arises. Im sure most reasonable people would not have a problem working with someone who is in genuine trouble to help them find a solution rather than just saying tough ****, its not my problem, find the money however.

I don't disagree with you. However tenants seem to have a mentality that the LL should be ameniable to working with them if they have an emergency like its the LL's burden.

The mentality is all wrong, you see threads like this on here all the time. I never recall once seeing a thread from a tenant saying they had hit a financial hurdle couldn't afford their rent and managed to sort it by getting a friend or family to help sort them out. They all seem to think its the LL's problem and something they have to be reasonable with, which it is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Its not Tescos we are talking about, its an ongoing long term agreement.

Look, you can start talking about interest free loans or whatever if you like; end of the day its up to the landlord how they want to approach it. If there is a good landlord tenant relationship then I really dont see the harm in ringing in advance and saying that there may be an issue, and seeing if there is any room for flexibility with the rent. Worst that the landlord can say is no.

If the landlord feels pressurized by this then thats really their own problem. Its not an unreasonable conversation to have if youre in trouble for whatever reason (provided its a once off and not happening every month), and as a landlord if its something that you have a problem with then you need to learn to toughen up and say no if you dont want to/cant agree to it.
    How would you react if your LL called you up and asked you to pay the rent 3 weeks ahead of its due date because he was having a bit of a cash flow problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

How would you react if your LL called you up and asked you to pay the rent 3 weeks ahead of its due date because he was having a bit of a cash flow problem?

Personally, I'd say no. But then I also think it's a bit much for a tennant to ask for 3 weeks grace. If it was a week, I'd be fine with it. I always have the rent set aside so doesn't matter to me when in the month in goes for the most part.

Honestly, if I could accomodate them I would. And Im not just saying that. Im going be paying them the money either way, so what harm in paying early if I have it?

Just like in this situation, if you are happy that it is just a one off financial blip for a tenant that you trust to sort you out, and if funds are not tight and you are not relying on the rent this very minute, then whats the harm? Its not going to suit everyone and not everyone will trust their tenants enough to agree to it, but I dont think that the tenant asking the question at least is the evil that some people are making it out to be.

I don't disagree with you. However tenants seem to have a mentality that the LL should be ameniable to working with them if they have an emergency like its the LL's burden.

The mentality is all wrong, you see threads like this on here all the time. I never recall once seeing a thread from a tenant saying they had hit a financial hurdle couldn't afford their rent and managed to sort it by getting a friend or family to help sort them out. They all seem to think its the LL's problem and something they have to be reasonable with, which it is not.

To be honest, most reasonable decent people will not think that its okay to burden a landlord with this or that it should be the landlords problem. I certainly wouldnt. However, if I found myself in such a situation, I would still go to the landlord first to see if something could be worked out. Id prefer to be honest from the start at least. We dont all have families and friends who can hand us over the guts of a grand at a moments notice, and if youre in financial trouble such that you cant pay your rent then chances are getting a loan might not be that straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Honestly, if I could accomodate them I would. And Im not just saying that. Im going be paying them the money either way, so what harm in paying early if I have it?

Just like in this situation, if you are happy that it is just a one off financial blip for a tenant that you trust to sort you out, and if funds are not tight and you are not relying on the rent this very minute, then whats the harm? Its not going to suit everyone and not everyone will trust their tenants enough to agree to it, but I dont think that the tenant asking the question at least is the evil that some people are making it out to be.
    I read the OP's response and agree that he/she does not mean harm to the LL and was genuinely unaware that not paying rent on time is a big no-no. They now accept that it is, which is a mature response to the thread and I expect they won't make the same mistake again.

For the record I have accommodated a tenant in similar circumstances but like D3PO I don't see it as acceptable behaviour. I accommodated them purely because it was the only pragmatic thing to do at the time.

again I don't disagree with you per se.

Personally Id at the very least try the credit union for a short term loan / bank for an overdraft before having a chat with the LL to work out a solution. I think at the very least trying to look at other avenues to exhaust before contacting the landlord would be courteous.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Not my call to make why they were late with the; the OP doesnt say why they were late and we would only be speculating if we were to guess.

Again how much goodwill they have built up is up to the landlord to decide; its not our call to make.
    I love they way you speculated it was an emergency but want to shut down any other speculation.

Given the time of year it is very likely it was due to having spent money over Christmas. It is speculative but much more believable than an emergency.

While people are saying some people have to live pay check to pay check there are also a lot of people who choose to live this ay and never save. Some people are simply bad with their finances. It isn't a LL job to assist or make allowances go look for an exceptional needs payment, pay day loan or friends and family. Your LL is not for credit and it is very immature thinking/behaviour to expect it.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    I love they way you speculated it was an emergency but want to shut down any other speculation.

I didn't speculate about anything. I made a general comment where I said I don't see the harm in asking where it's a pre-warned emergency. I didn't say that I thought that was the case here; I have no idea what happened with the OP because they chose not to tell us.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,740 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ShaShaBear wrote: »

Sorry, but it's not ludicruous. What will you do if your partner gets sick for a week and cannot work? If the answer is not to pay the rent for that week - well you will never catch up.

I've supported myself + partner for six months on a salary of 19k. We didn't save much - but even at that level we did save. It's simply what responsible people do, so they don't come on here saying "Is it OTT that my LL starts proceedings when we're only three weeks late with the rent".

• Advertisement

Sorry, but it's not ludicruous. What will you do if your partner gets sick for a week and cannot work? If the answer is not to pay the rent for that week - well you will never catch up.

I've supported myself + partner for six months on a salary of 19k. We didn't save much - but even at that level we did save. It's simply what responsible people do, so they don't come on here saying "Is it OTT that my LL starts proceedings when we're only three weeks late with the rent".

Well thats good for you but that doesnt mean other people dont have larger outgoings that prevents them from saving. Thats being fortunate, not responsible.

Arent you fantastic? If only everyone was as lucky as you, the world would be a much better place.

In an ideal world everyone would earn enough to save. Its far from an ideal world though.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Folks can you cut out the snippy comments.

Thanks

Morri

If landlords are really the most vulnerable people in society at the moment, I would love to live in that society.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 westmeathman

I think most of the reply's are probably quite correct but not knowing the reasons why leaves me more to think that the reply's are probably from good honest catholic church going folks . never threw a stone and dont live in glass houses and id say have a reasonable form of income. i have been in that situation before for reasons i cant discuss but thankfully i now have my own home with no mortgage and if a person needs some help and support in difficult times why post negative reports . i hope some of these people never need help with finances or other issues because sympathy votes are hard got folks . I to am was a land lord to a single parent and as difficult it was to receive payment it was not on the fault of the person involved it was the fault of social welfare dept they accepted my rent offer and the fu***rs got it hard to lodge my contracted money into my account so it was nt the fault of the person who was renting the person was paying the correct amount and it was welfare that came up short ,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

@westmeathman: I don't think anyone is suggesting that the landlord or anyone for that matter - wouldnt empathise if circumstances were such that the tenant couldn't pay rent. However, that needs to be tempered by the fact that a landlord cannot be used as an overdraft facility.

If landlords are really the most vulnerable people in society at the moment, I would love to live in that society.
    I doubt you would. Try paying a mortgage on a property that the Tenant is living in rent free and basically laughing at you. Then you can bring a PRTB case that will take about a year to maybe get some of your money back with a payment plan of say €25 a week. Try getting your house back that you saved hard to get in bits with thousands of euros worth of damage that you then have to sort out before you can rent out again and THEN pay tax on any little scrap of profit you "may" have. The Doleites in this country living in private rented accommodation payed for by the state are the new rich in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

One thing that needs to change is the eviction process for tenants who aren't paying rent.
    As it stands the system is a joke and takes the piss out of landlords.
    After the 14 day notice of arrears is passed the landlord should be well entitled to have the non paying tenant out within 28 days.

Don't get me wrong there are **** landlords out there who either don't know their obligations or just ignore them and they should be punished if found to be in breach of their obligations

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

just before Christmas my rent direct debit end-dated (after 12 months) with December rent due, I didn't realise. The landlord called me 3 weeks into month and told me...I apologised profusely and transferred the full amount that day and indeed did a manual transfer of the next months rent the following week just to be sure. very understanding of her...but I was completely at fault so she could have been tougher!

• Advertisement

Scortho wrote: »
    One thing that needs to change is the eviction process for tenants who aren't paying rent.
    As it stands the system is a joke and takes the piss out of landlords.
    After the 14 day notice of arrears is passed the landlord should be well entitled to have the non paying tenant out within 28 days.

Don't get me wrong there are **** landlords out there who either don't know their obligations or just ignore them and they should be punished if found to be in breach of their obligations

Completely agree. In any kind of eviction situation, the tenant should be out of the property no more than 30 days after the notice expires at the very most. Its ridiculous that the PRTB take so long to sort these issues. Where its costing the landlord money, the matter should be fast tracked and sorted in a matter of weeks, not months as it is now.

Advertisement