Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What used to freak you out?

Options
  • 14-01-2014 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭

The 2 biggest causes of sleepless nights throughout my childhood

Bastard things but I was addicted.
    Constant stories about ghosts, aliens, monsters etc and I belived every little bit of it. Even with Unsolved Mysteries I managed to convince myself that the regular kidnappings and murders were the work of aliens :pac: Terrified that witches and ghosts were gonna get me in my sleep :o

Anybody else remember things from the past that had you terrified? TV shows, stories etc? :)

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Always found this unsettling but I'm probably not the only one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭rwg

Tales of the unexpected, not even gonna look for it on yt

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Always found this unsettling but I'm probably not the only one.

Fixed :)

And after a quick watch I wish I hadn't fixed it now :o
    I don't know how I've never seen that before but I'm kinda glad I hadn't :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭rwg

Dear god - even the music is scary. Watched one on yt a few months ago about a peado who tricked a school girl back to his house, and had a collection of them there - really sick stuff

don't think I fully understood what was going on in the program all them years ago, but was in no doubt designed to scare the bejeezus outta ye, whether you got it or not

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Opened the thread and immediately remembered Tales of The Unexpected.
    Spine tingling stuff.

Funnily enough, I loved Wanderly Wagon as a young child.
    But when they introduced Sneaky Snake and Dr Astro, it ruined it for me.Genuinely scared me.
    Ditto with Mr Snuffleupagus to Sesame Street.

Why anybody felt a need to introduce a sinister element to children's tv is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭gidget

I had a fear of mannequins as a child! I said it before the old tv show Pats Chat that used to be on RTE 2 on Saturday mornings, they used to do this segment where they would play church style music & next this mannequin used to be lowered out of the ceiling, can't remember the reason for this segment at all but as a 4 year old this used to terrify me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Happy day. :D

More third eye stuff.

Some of the episodes of Eerie Indiana were a bit weird (the family who kept themselves in the giant lunchboxes!)
    I remember hiding behind the couch when the Supergran intro came on. It terrified me for some odd reason.

gidget wrote: »
    I had a fear of mannequins as a child! I said it before the old tv show Pats Chat that used to be on RTE 2 on Saturday mornings, they used to do this segment where they would play church style music & next this mannequin used to be lowered out of the ceiling, can't remember the reason for this segment at all but as a 4 year old this used to terrify me.
    Heh heh I remember that.And the "savage cabbage".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I was terrorised by the TV Incredible Hulk.What really got me was the opening sequence where he was transforming and they show this sudden close up shot of his eyes where theyve changed and gone all creepy..:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

darkdubh wrote: »
    I was terrorised by the TV Incredible Hulk.What really got me was the opening sequence where he was transforming and they show this sudden close up shot of his eyes where theyve changed and gone all creepy..:eek:

This....

Even to this day the theme music terrifies me and I've never been able to watch a full episode all the way through. My sister reminded me over the weekend that I used to really get upset about the Hulk ruining his trousers....

• Advertisement

Actually I just remembered a really stupid one. The touch of death from the Simpsons
    ikw2TE.jpg

Sister used to have my absolutely terrified of this. Like proper run away screaming. :o
    The bitch

In work now so can't throw up the YT link but there was a series similar to Tales Of The Unexpected called Armchair Theatre that had the most poo your pants scary opening sequence involving a shadow sitting in an armchair.Can anyone put it up?

In work now so can't throw up the YT link but there was a series similar to Tales Of The Unexpected called Armchair Theatre that had the most poo your pants scary opening sequence involving a shadow sitting in an armchair.Can anyone put it up?

What the hell did you make me watch :pac:

What the hell did you make me watch :pac:

Ha ha,must have first seen that for the first time 25 years ago and I still remember nearly jumping out of the seat at that bit at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Miley getting the shift with Fidelma on Glenroe-now that was surely the most disturbing television scene ever?
    How scary was that?
    Won't post it as we don't need reminding!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I too remember Armchair Thriller...the Quiet as a Nun episode was particularly pants filling:eek:.

I understand the mention of Snufflupagus from Seseme St, it was the way he would arrive and leave to that strange music and where no one else would see him except Big Bird, I wouldn't say I was afraid of him but I was slightly disconcerted.Chop Liver in The Muppet Show's 'Pigs in Space' played on my mind a bit too:(

The first thing I remember being terrified at was the phantom in Hammer's Phantom of the Opera peering through a hole in a wall, all you saw was this big eye. I was terrified that I would see him peeping in my window in the darkness of night.

I was afraid at night or even alone in the day time for quite a while after seeing Salem's Lot. The Lucy vampire in the BBC Dracula 70's series frightened me and any film where there was a disembodied hand:eek:. I remember staying in my granny's where we had to use a pot under the bed at night as she had an outdoors toilet. I was afraid one of them creepy hands would scuttle out from under the bed and grab me when I was relieving myself:(

Ann22 wrote: »
    I was afraid at night or even alone in the day time for quite a while after seeing Salem's Lot. The Lucy vampire in the BBC Dracula 70's series frightened me and any film where there was a disembodied hand:eek:. I remember staying in my granny's where we had to use a pot under the bed at night as she had an outdoors toilet. I was afraid one of them creepy hands would scuttle out from under the bed and grab me when I was relieving myself:(

That film still freaks the crap out of me. God damn window floating little vampire bastard -__-

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

The dream sequence out of Papillon. Camera flips upside down, slow motion, Steve McQueen runs into two dead fellas. Gives me shivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Another traumatised by the Incredible Hulk!
    PHSD (Post Hulk Stress Disorder)

Remember watching a docu about what a nuclear war and a nuclear winter would be like, was freaking about every plane that passed overhead for a while afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

24-reasons-you-know-youre-a-fairly-rubbish-homose-1-2050-1371430709-2_big.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Duberlin Chick

As soon as I saw the thread title I thought 'Unsolved mysteries' feckin programme had me in temple street a couple of times with panic attacks. I persisted though!

The music! Urghhhhhh! Goosebumps!!

24-reasons-you-know-youre-a-fairly-rubbish-homose-1-2050-1371430709-2_big.jpg
    Kill it with fire!!!!
    As soon as I saw the thread title I thought 'Unsolved mysteries' feckin programme had me in temple street a couple of times with panic attacks. I persisted though!

The music! Urghhhhhh! Goosebumps!!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Duberlin Chick

Better get the paper bag off me Chinese for hyperventilation purposes before I press play on this clip

Better get the paper bag off me Chinese for hyperventilation purposes before I press play on this clip

Youre safe. Its a goodun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Let us not forget Chocky!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Please noone laugh at me but some of the Goosebumps totally freaked me out! Especially the one with the ventriloquist dummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

One of my kids would not, could not watch the film Labyrinth, because when she saw it first, her baby brother was about the same age as the baby brother in the movie. I'm not sure she's seen it to this day (she's 19 now), even though she is a film fanatic and has seen so many films.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

what was the name of that model animated section on Bosco where it was set at the seaside?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

When I saw the thread title the 3 that immediately sprang to mind were:
    - Tales of the Unexpected
    - Armchair Thriller
    - Children of the Stones

I'm 41 yrs old now and those openings still send chills down my spine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Advertisement