Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Where in Prague you staying? If central the Beer museum has a great choice of beers but it's not a museum.

Will have to double check with the missus (she has all the details :p) but pretty sure we'll be central.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Hitting up Brussels, Munich and Prague in the next few weeks, any boozers I absolutely should not miss?
    On a strict one-per-city basis I'd go with Moeder Lambic Fontinas, Augustiner-Keller and Klášterní Pivovar Strahov, respectively. Tough choices though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Oh yeah Klášterní Pivovar Strahov is great too for traditional Czech food too.

I'm over there in a few weeks myself again so will hit those 2 places and most likely the Staropramen brewey too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

BeerNut wrote: »
    On a strict one-per-city basis I'd go with Moeder Lambic Fontinas, Augustiner-Keller and Klášterní Pivovar Strahov, respectively. Tough choices though :)

I'd have to agree re moeder, also try find the cantillon brewery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

stuchyg wrote: »
    I'd have to agree re moeder, also try find the cantillon brewery

Yes Moeder is a nice bar.

I didn't like that Delirium Village place at all, although it maybe just me, it seems popular!

• Advertisement

symbolic wrote: »
    I didn't like that Delirium Village place at all
    The ground floor and basement are pretty grim but upstairs is excellent: civilised and with a well-chosen beer list -- not just hundred of beers made by the owners' brewery, which is what downstairs sometimes seems to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Is this the loft or attic or something? It was closed when I went in on a Sunday morning. Barstaff were anything but friendly when I was there too. Polar opposite of Chez Moeder

The Hoppy Loft, yes. It's not really a chat-to-the-barman-about-beer sort of place. Actually, there aren't many of those in Brussels full stop.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Hitting up Brussels, Munich and Prague in the next few weeks, any boozers I absolutely should not miss? I doubt it'll be hard to find good beer in any of them :)

Definitely go to Schneider's place in Munich. http://www.schneider-weisse.de/index.php?lang=en&tpl=brauerei.brauhaeusser

My advice would be to go here after you've been to a few other places as it'll nice to see a bar with a bit of beer variety in it after a while.

irish_goat wrote: »
    My advice would be to go here after you've been to a few other places as it'll nice to see a bar with a bit of beer variety in it after a while.
    I found it was very busy all evening when I was last in Munich. Go for a Hopfen-Weisse breakfast instead :) The biggest disappointment for me at Schneider was I expected to see Taps 1 through X as actual taps, but they don't exist :mad:

For variety, Camba Bavaria now has a pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Hitting up Brussels, Munich and Prague in the next few weeks, any boozers I absolutely should not miss? I doubt it'll be hard to find good beer in any of them :)

I like Moeder Lambic Fontainas in Brussels but much prefer the original in St. Gilles. Harder to get to but well worth the trip. More sociable bar people and great mix of locals and beer nerds. Haven't been there in well over a year though. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Had a nice little can of Mackeson Stout. Softly carbonated but there's a surprising amount of body for all of its 2.8% ABV - some light smoky roastiness and perhaps a hint of something vegetable behind it. Seemingly a classic milk stout but apparently now a ghost.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I had a cask ale made by Fyne Ales in the Salthouse pub in Galway.

It's called Superior IPA, 7.1% ABV, priced at 5 euro per pint.

Lovely stuff, it didn't feel like 7.1%.

The mouth-feel of cask is different to keg, it seems to go down easier.

Geuze wrote: »
    The mouth-feel of cask is different to keg, it seems to go down easier.
    "Keg is for sipping and cask is for supping", as one CAMRA stalwart I know puts it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭upforit101

BeerNut wrote: »
    Augustiner-Keller

+1 on the Augustiner Keller in Munich.
    Pure bliss sitting outside in the sunshine with Augustiner Edelstoff tapped from wooden barrels.
    Perfectly accompanied with Bavarian sausage to tuck into when you get hungry.

http://www.augustinerkeller.de/en.htm

8b9e7378bedfb37f7dcdb2c0c2ad7f99bbb5b28bbfb5a48bc9b7b27bc9b680ddc3a7b3c889ae7378c1b9af8279a7b2d0c4c487debbcb94cd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Had a nice little can of Mackeson Stout. Softly carbonated but there's a surprising amount of body for all of its 2.8% ABV - some light smoky roastiness and perhaps a hint of something vegetable behind it. Seemingly a classic milk stout but apparently now a ghost.

I got my hands on a few cans years ago and a few cans later I was wondering what all the fuss was about. I can but assume that it was one of the so called medicinal stouts that one hears about, hence the lower ABV.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I got my hands on a few cans years ago and a few cans later I was wondering what all the fuss was about. I can but assume that it was one of the so called medicinal stouts that one hears about, hence the lower ABV.

Yes, an old-style milk stout. I'm not sure there really is much fuss these days though. They still produce it but without any marketing behind it. Tesco and Sainsburys in the North stock it against all the odds.

There are nicer milk stouts out there and it wasn't even particularly cheap but I quite like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭baron von something

one of my locals got in 5a.m. saint and metalman on tap.the pubs round my area seem to finally be coming round to their beer senses and are getting in a few nice ones

Had a Beoir #1 in The Black Sheep this evening. Not too bad for a mere €4.50. A very nice DIPA indeed, though a completely different end of the spectrum to OFAF and Pliny, which is my reference point for the style. In my mind the hop comes through in #1 a lot more than in either of the either of the other two; much more bitter and perhaps a little less well rounded but very good none the less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Bear Republic's Red Rocket Ale; it seems to be a Red/Amber/Scotch Ale mish mash with more hops. I would have preferred it with less hops.

• Advertisement

Is Bear Republic back in Dublin?

Had the three Sixpoints, a cask Ghost Ship and a pint of GBB Table Beer last night, Bengali Tiger and Table were superb.

drumswan wrote: »
    Is Bear Republic back in Dublin?

Had the three Sixpoints, a cask Ghost Ship and a pint of GBB Table Beer last night, Bengali Tiger and Table were superb.

Fairly sure Drinkstore had it in the other day.

Is there Racer 5? Tell me there is Racer 5!

I thought the Bear Republic stuff had been around for a while with a new distributor.

Nope. the last of it sold out everywhere months ago

Never noticed. Pity about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Does Alfie's have Table? Heading to the Iveagh Gardens and going to stop in beforehand.

With vouchers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

I placed a few of these in the fridge this evening, given the balmy weather:
    stonewellmedium.jpg?itok=s62GM1ls

Stonewell Cider- anyone tried it? Am I in for a treat?:D

I placed a few of these in the fridge this evening, given the balmy weather:
    stonewellmedium.jpg?itok=s62GM1ls

Stonewell Cider- anyone tried it? Am I in for a treat?:D

You are indeed. This is what Bulmers can only dream of being like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭baron von something

theres a new brewery opened up in killanny.Brehon Brewhouse.my local offie has 4 bottles for a tenner so they'll be on my menu tomorrow night.i think they only have a blonde beer and a red ale so far

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement