Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

12th Abbey Irish Pale Ale, mediocre is the best think i can say about it. Shall not be sampling again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Two bottles of Hofbrau Oktoberfest for €1.90 in the supermarket in Valladolid. Such value.
    snowblind wrote: »
    This is the menu at Brewdog Helsinki. Macro beer prices are on average pretty similar in Helsinki vs Dublin.

This is the price of a functioning welfare state.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

snowblind wrote: »
    This is the menu at Brewdog Helsinki. Macro beer prices are on average pretty similar in Helsinki vs Dublin.
    Please tell me more about how microbreweries in Ireland practice price gouging selling 5.50€ pints or whatever.
    Brewdog bars the UK are a good bit more expensive than the norm, to the point where people give out about them there too. So I would not take them to be a bell weather of local prices. Same as Moeder Lambic in Brussels. Great beer but inflated prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Second time having The White Hag IPA.

Nope, not feeling it all. When I said that here previously so many said that it was a great beer so I decided to give it another go but I just can't see what the fuss is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Bottle or draught? It's underwhelming in bottle, as it's pretty flat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

n97 mini wrote: »
    Bottle or draught? It's underwhelming in bottle, as it's pretty flat!

Bottle both times so maybe that's the why.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Happy New Year to those on the board. 2014 was a pretty good year for beer.

I imagine 2015 will be a vintage year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

The White Hag Christmas beer I got was almost completely flat and I couldn't drink it.

Having a Mescan Triple Red. Been looking forward to this one. It's lovely and smooth, but with great flavour.

Had a very nice Spanish micro last night called Negrón. It's an 8% imperial stout, made as a collaboration between Vier in Valladolid and Bayura in Asturias. Very much in Leann Follain territory but with an extra whack of alcohol and a lingering bitterness, which makes it less dessert-like than LF. Highly enjoyable and evidence that there are some good micros in deeper Spain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

that must be a record for gap between posts on this thread, everyone must have been beered out. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭mondeoman2

This Is What I will be Enjoying Tonight

IDShot_540x540.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Straylight

Was given a bottle of this for Christmas. Just enjoying it now, it's remarkably good.

260x510_p1374607399932_oharas_barrel_aged_series_leann_foll%C3%A1in_irish_stout.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭astraj

mondeoman2 wrote: »
    This Is What I will be Enjoying Tonight

Where did you find this

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭mondeoman2

astraj wrote: »
    Where did you find this

I picked it up In Tesco in Mansfield In The Uk,in September £15:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Opened an exclusive bottle of red ale brewed by a neighbour of mine up the road :D

Excellent stuff, though it wouldn't be a typical red ale, seems to have weissbier-y qualities. Nice and full bodied though. Also have a bottle of his stout to try later, looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Brehon Shanco Dubh Porter - outstanding stuff, one of the best Irish porters I've had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

BMJD wrote: »
    Brehon Shanco Dubh Porter - outstanding stuff, one of the best Irish porters I've had.

Agreed, this is superb stuff, really surprised me when I had it last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

Grayditch wrote: »
    The White Hag Christmas beer I got was almost completely flat and I couldn't drink it.

Yeah, very disappointed with it.
    had a few Christmas beer's over the last couple of weeks and it was the worst by a long way. Still have a bottle in the fridge at home.

Best of Christmas beers that I tried was
    Gouden Carolus Christmas Beer - 10% and absolute Christmas in a glass!
    followed closely by
    St Bernadus Christmas Beer
    White Gypsy Yule Ol
    then
    Corsendonk Christmas beer
    Gordon Christmas beer
    then a long way back the White Hag...

Also had Trappistes Rochefort 8 which was stunning but at over €4 for a 330ml bottle it won't be a frequent occurance.

and one which surprised me....
    Urthel Hop-It (Belgian IPA)
    though it was really good, very drinkable and the 9.5% could sneak up on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Second time having The White Hag IPA.

Nope, not feeling it all. When I said that here previously so many said that it was a great beer so I decided to give it another go but I just can't see what the fuss is about.

I had the same issue a few times, flat and tasteless. Subsequently I got a few properly carbonated ones from them and they were very good to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,037 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Had White Hag Dunkel in Bierhaus Galway on Saturday night, quite nice, very yeasty and a little sour, different for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Went to a great bar in Paris the other night called La Fine Mousse. Some cracking beers on tap. 20 taps in total.

I tried Gueuze Draft which was great. A sour beer which unfortunately played merry hell with my heartburn. A quick zantac and I was off again. Also tried a triple called Imperial Zest from Italy. Excellent. Tried about half the menu but they're the only two I can remember clearly. *hic*

If you're in Paris and enjoy your beer I highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Wicklow Wolf Black Perle Porter - not bad but nothing special

• Registered Users Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Went to a great bar in Paris the other night called La Fine Mousse. Some cracking beers on tap. 20 taps in total.

I tried Gueuze Draft which was great. A sour beer which unfortunately played merry hell with my heartburn. A quick zantac and I was off again. Also tried a triple called Imperial Zest from Italy. Excellent. Tried about half the menu but they're the only two I can remember clearly. *hic*

If you're in Paris and enjoy your beer I highly recommend it.

Sounds good but id say it wasn't cheap! Drinking in Paris can be very expensive, even if you avoid the tourist traps.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Had a Mayfield 5 lager,lovely stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Had a dungarvan American pale ale. Not sure if it's new or just new to our obriens but it's top stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

A nice cup of ovaltine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Had a dungarvan American pale ale. Not sure if it's new or just new to our obriens but it's top stuff.

Mine Head?

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

That's the one, had a bottle of it myself and was surprised that it was decent enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Yeah, had a bottle or two of it a while back, thought the same, surprisingly decent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Trying some Export Stout by The Kernel brewery (London).

7.1%. It's an absolute cracker.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement