Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outlander [Starz]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,349 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Season 3 trailer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Season 3 will start on September 10th on Starz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I watched Season 1 & 2 recently on Amazon. I had ignored it previously, because I thought it was the sci-fi alien battling flick of the same name from 10 years ago.

I thought it was pretty good overall. The baddie is quite a good actor. Comes across very different than his Game of Thrones persona. The female lead was very good, and the love-interest dude as well. Aonghus, the small guy with no front teeth, & several other minor characters were very good.

I didn't find it too hard to suspend my disbelief at the time-travel logic. In fact I think it did make sense, and any sub-plots that didn't make sense were just down to the characters not understanding consequences, rather than anything that was an integral part of the story. At least it didn't do any of the stupid **** from 'Back to the Future' or 'Looper', like people fading from Marty McFly's family photo right before his eyes.

I thought it was quite a good choice that the modern day story took place in the mid-20th century rather than the present day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Season 3 episode one aired last night. An enjoyable episode, but I really felt they didn't need to show so much of Claire's new life in Boston. IIRC, the book didn't go into any of that detail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Watched it, I thought it wasn't a bad opener. Can see why they showed Clare's new life and how she struggled to let Jamie go, given the intense relationship they'd built up between the two in the last two seasons it wouldn't have struck the right tone to see her just go back to her old life and get on with it, as opposed to trying to do so but struggling.

Pentecost wrote: »
    Watched it, I thought it wasn't a bad opener. Can see why they showed Clare's new life and how she struggled to let Jamie go, given the intense relationship they'd built up between the two in the last two seasons it wouldn't have struck the right tone to see her just go back to her old life and get on with it, as opposed to trying to do so but struggling.

I had a quick skim over the start of book 3 last night. jamies POV is bang on. In the book, Claire's POV starts with her in Scotland in the 60's trying to track what happened to Jamie and initially anywhere her life in Boston is told though some flash backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Season 3 is on Prime Video for anyone who wants to watch legit.

Not overly impressed with Ep 2 - a whole lot of nothing much happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Late to the party, pretty much binge watched this over the last 5 days. Did somebody call this chic-lit? Still wincing after the last episode of S1. :(

Great show, really hate that I've now got to watch weekly etc.

The one thing I find strange is that Claire (very pretty in fairness) has not aged in 20 years :eek: apart from a slight whisp of grey :rolleyes:

I have a feeling, hopefully wrong, we've seen the best of the series though, now that AFAIK
    they are to move away from Scotland

• Advertisement

Just watched S3E3 spoiler request
    why were the other prisoners calling him Mac Dubh - An Irish translation for my name
    ?

Just watched S3E3 spoiler request
    why were the other prisoners calling him Mac Dubh - An Irish translation for my name
    ?

His father was known as Black Brian, so 'son of the black one'

Seriously love this series.

I would have liked to have seen a bit more Claire and Frank and Brianna growing up over the last three episodes but they used Jaime's story instead to show the time jumps.

Ep 4 has been my favourite of the new season so far, however I think Geneva's blackmail of Jamie was more believable in the book (she blackmails him because she has intercepted letters of his from his family). I had thought
    the next episode would see Jamie and Claire reunited, but it looks like it might be episode 6

Another enjoyable episode. This seems to become available very early on a Sunday morning, around 9am.

Another enjoyable episode. This seems to become available very early on a Sunday morning, around 9am.

Midnight in the States on Starz streaming site.

Great soundtrack to go with the closing scenes.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Very enjoyable series 3 so far, quality has not dipped. Pretty faithful adaptation as well for the most part.

Another good episode, although I didn't like the sewing scene with the batman music, it was just so out of kilter with the rest of the show. I much preferred the book version where Claire and Brianna go shopping in a fancy dress shop for her outfit.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Ya the music there was very much out of kilter with the overall tone of the show. Pity there is a 2 week break now until the next episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

I've just started watching this in the last few days. After watching episode 6 there. I've ever only seen Tobias Menzies in GoT but man what an actor. Loving the series. It's really got that Black Sails vibe with the music by Bear McCreary and the same network.

It's really got that Black Sails vibe with the music by Bear McCreary and the same network.

That's the second time I heard them compared.

I adore (darling) the intro music in Outlander, I find myself singing it (all together now, Billow and Breeze...). However, I thought the Black Sails intro was awful dirge.

Now, I only every managed to watch the the first episode, and then only half of it before giving up. Did the theme music change after ep 1? Because I don't see it myself. I know they're the same composer, but... Might have to listen to it again. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

So who else cried during that episode?

🙋ðŸ¼

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

That's the second time I heard them compared.

I adore (darling) the intro music in Outlander, I find myself singing it (all together now, Billow and Breeze...). However, I thought the Black Sails intro was awful dirge.

Now, I only every managed to watch the the first episode, and then only half of it before giving up. Did the theme music change after ep 1? Because I don't see it myself. I know they're the same composer, but... Might have to listen to it again. :confused:

No it didn't and I disagree I love it. Probably up there with my favourite intros ever. Season 1 was a bit slow but it was good. Season 2 through to the end were excellent in character creation and progression. All the people I've recommended it thought it was fantastic too.

Hurry Gurdy for life :)

Very happy with that episode, love that we get to see Jamie's reaction at the start. Loved the scene of Claire in the brothel as well! My only complaint is that while it was an extended episode, I was expecting it to be longer! (is 73mins long).

They portrayed the reunion well. The actors must have got to know each other very well during bedroom scenes - they seemed to go on for ever from a viewing point of view, the filming must have taken an age.

They portrayed the reunion well. The actors must have got to know each other very well during bedroom scenes - they seemed to go on for ever from a viewing point of view, the filming must have taken an age.

I'd say so. Here is an article about the rehearsal and filming of those scenes

http://www.marieclaire.com/culture/a13027952/the-making-of-outlander-sex-scenes/

Having breakfast with the girls was a fun scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Is this directly related to the film from 2008? If so it's on sometime during this week, not sure which channel or time.

• Advertisement

Is this directly related to the film from 2008? If so it's on sometime during this week, not sure which channel or time.

Nope, entirely different.

Advertisement