Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PGDE

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Pwpane wrote: »
    Several years ago, an education lecturer suggested to me that when the teaching council was up and running, that obtaining a masters in your own subject area within 5 years of starting teaching would become necessary to retain registration and that after that, continuous CPD at your own expense would become compulsory also to retain registration.

That would be an incentive.

Only problem is now though you have a good deal of teachers on part time/substitution hours even 5 years from graduation. Not too easy to fund a part time masters in those cases. Hell, even these days a one income/mortgaged family with full time hours teacher would find it a stretch to pay 10k for a part time masters.
    The €500 yearly allowance and tax relief wasn't all that great either..just meant you'd break even after about 15years!!!

I reckon to hell with the Pgde as I learned more critical thinking and research skills from my masters...couple that with some decent mentoring program and life would be so much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

Pwpane wrote: »
    Several years ago, an education lecturer suggested to me that when the teaching council was up and running, that obtaining a masters in your own subject area within 5 years of starting teaching would become necessary to retain registration and that after that, continuous CPD at your own expense would become compulsory also to retain registration.

That would be an incentive.

Sweet Jeez they actually want us all working every waking hour and dropping dead before retirement !Its getting to stage classroom teacher is expected to work harder than principal !!!!Pay for our own compulsory Masters ?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

2011abc wrote: »
    Sweet Jeez they actually want us all working every waking hour and dropping dead before retirement !Its getting to stage classroom teacher is expected to work harder than principal !!!!Pay for our own compulsory Masters ?!

Its just speculation. I can't see it happening when the PGDE is already being upgraded to practically an MA already

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭queensinead

Is the PDGE now two years in all colleges?

How much roughly does it cost overall?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Is the PDGE now two years in all colleges?

How much roughly does it cost overall?

2 years

€10,000

1 year probation afterwards involving 300 hours minimum teaching & a load of Teaching Council NQT evenings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭queensinead

2 years

€10,000

1 year probation afterwards involving 300 hours minimum teaching & a load of Teaching Council NQT evenings

Thank You

Advertisement