Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

phantom breakfast show - where is Keith ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 DavidHabsburg

Seems we'll find out where he's ended up tomorrow morning

Did you find out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Did you find out?

Haahaa no...the wiley fox bested me :o

He said on twitter he was starting a new job today so I presumed he was going to be on air somewhere, but it wasn't 2fm this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The JNLR figures say otherwise. Keith tanked that show's ratings by putting him and his brainless mate in the slot, which in turn tanked the show after it, and he tanked the drivetime and weekend audiences too by sacking good presenters and bringing in ****e ones, such as the GAA dickhead.

Weekend listenership went from 45,000 to 10,000.

Total disaster area as a programme director and as a dj.

Any idea what the weekday figure is now? 10,000 is pretty dire... when will they pull the plug?

Breakfast show wise, the last decent show was with 'Sinister Pete'

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

mloc123 wrote: »
    Any idea what the weekday figure is now?

JNLR book out next week

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Ciaran

mloc123 wrote: »
    Breakfast show wise, the last decent show was with 'Sinister Pete'

It's a pity that no station seems to think that a breakfast show that with a presenter playing music would get listeners anymore. Surely two idiots trying to be hilarious can't be the only successful format.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

Ciaran wrote: »
    It's a pity that no station seems to think that a breakfast show that with a presenter playing music would get listeners anymore. Surely two idiots trying to be hilarious can't be the only successful format.

Well, Q102 have exactly that, Nova did until recently.

But I guess like it or not the best breakfast shows have always been the ones based around two presenters and comedy. Dermot and Dave, The Strawberry Alarm Clock, Ray Foley on 98, Joe and Keith on Spin back in the day and now Ryan and Treacy on it.

People seem to moan about stations not playing music but these days the appeal needs to be something different at times. Like if Phantom reverted back to a basic music program, just a few links here and there then what's the appeal, people can just listen to their own music device, or stream music on the go.

Actually, they wouldn't even need any presenters, just automate it until 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

soc160 wrote: »
    Well, Q102 have exactly that, Nova did until recently.

But I guess like it or not the best breakfast shows have always been the ones based around two presenters and comedy. Dermot and Dave, The Strawberry Alarm Clock, Ray Foley on 98, Joe and Keith on Spin back in the day and now Ryan and Treacy on it.

People seem to moan about stations not playing music but these days the appeal needs to be something different at times. Like if Phantom reverted back to a basic music program, just a few links here and there then what's the appeal, people can just listen to their own music device, or stream music on the go.

Actually, they wouldn't even need any presenters, just automate it until 11.
    the vast majority of Phantom listeners don't listen for the presenter though, they listen to hear alternative music, otherwise what would be the point of Phantom at all over any of the commercial stations pumping out the same top 40 chart songs.

the pairings you've described could be transplanted to any national or dublin radio station and have the exact same music playing between their "wacky banter", and as you've outlined, get another pairing in to replace the previous lot and it's usually basically the same.

i'm not sure how you qualify "best" breakfast shows either, those shows to me are absolutely awful, lowest common denominator crap that all sound the same.

once Joe and Keith arrived to Phantom I can count on 1 hand the amount of times I've listened longer than 5mins. their ccccrraaaaaazzzzzyyyy banter just isn't suited to the station.
    I can imagine the many people who've abandoned Phantom over the last 18months would gladly have just 1 presenter who plays a lot more music than any presenter pairing coming out with the braindead rubbish that Joe and Keith did.

the vast majority of Phantom listeners don't listen for the presenter though, they listen to hear alternative music, otherwise what would be the point of Phantom at all over any of the commercial stations pumping out the same top 40 chart songs.

the pairings you've described could be transplanted to any national or dublin radio station and have the exact same music playing between their "wacky banter", and as you've outlined, get another pairing in to replace the previous lot and it's usually basically the same.

i'm not sure how you qualify "best" breakfast shows either, those shows to me are absolutely awful, lowest common denominator crap that all sound the same.

once Joe and Keith arrived to Phantom I can count on 1 hand the amount of times I've listened longer than 5mins. their ccccrraaaaaazzzzzyyyy banter just isn't suited to the station.
    I can imagine the many people who've abandoned Phantom over the last 18months would gladly have just 1 presenter who plays a lot more music than any presenter pairing coming out with the braindead rubbish that Joe and Keith did.

Ye, I think you probably missed my point, which was just explaining that it's the usual format. The presenters do make a difference, otherwise what is the point in phantom even having any if people only listen for the alternative music? Theses days it's important to have something which differentiates each station because as you said they all play similar music.

To say you could drop each set of presenters into another station and it would work is bizarre. 98 and 104 are similar, but them swapping breakfast show hosts wouldn't be good, people would follow The Strawberry Alarm Clock and Ray Foley would most likely isolate listeners on 104. Ryan and Tracy wouldn't fit in at either of those stations at the moment either. and then theres the whole national issue which we saw not working for Colm and Jim-Jim a few years back.

I would qualify the best breakfast show as the one with the best listenership and most accolades, not on opinions, which would be The Strawberry Alarm Clock these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Of course the host of the show makes a difference. Richie Ryan, as an example, sounds far more comfortable talking about music than Claire Beck. I'd much rather hear Ryan than Beck, and who is hosting would undoubtedly influence my choice on radio station.

What's bizarre is that a station like Nova, who were gaining listeners like no other station based upon the fact that they played a lot of (repeated) music, have now decided to put in two "goofers" into their morning slot. I know Marty Miller has been with the station recently, but bringing in your one is a terribly regressive step for the station. I wonder if it will be reflected in their listenership figures for the morning time?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Of course the host of the show makes a difference. Richie Ryan, as an example, sounds far more comfortable talking about music than Claire Beck. I'd much rather hear Ryan than Beck, and who is hosting would undoubtedly influence my choice on radio station.

What's bizarre is that a station like Nova, who were gaining listeners like no other station based upon the fact that they played a lot of (repeated) music, have now decided to put in two "goofers" into their morning slot. I know Marty Miller has been with the station recently, but bringing in your one is a terribly regressive step for the station. I wonder if it will be reflected in their listenership figures for the morning time?

Marty Miller has been with Nova from the outset!

Since Keith left Phantom, the banter has dropped a bit with Joe and Charlotte and there does not seem to be quite as many "funny" items. I think someone like Jack Hyland or Richie Ryan could be tried and see how that works out.

• Advertisement

Marty Miller has been with Nova from the outset!

Your one though, YOUR ONE!! She's terrible! :pac:

Nova make out that they are doing a lot better than they actually are, they are not just a Dublin station really, they are aimed at the commuter area and the areas they reach outside Dublin, so in theory they have a bigger pool of potential listeners, also they are gaining more listeners because they are the youngest station, they have to gain listeners because the starting base is lower than the established stations.

But they are competitive amongst those lower rating stations but there is only so much they can do as a classicrock station, I guess that's why they went for a newer approach breakfast, try and get a younger listener in. Mothers doing the school run etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

As you know i've been the first to kick Nova in the gnads.....BUT, i was working in a house last week where the lady had Nova on all day.....after the breakfast show (:mad:) i did notice an improvment in the music, although GG has always been a good jock, and even PC in the afternoon seemed to be playing better stuff wit less jibber jabber........Was I dreaming...???:)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭The Filth

I enjoyed the pair, that's a pity. I thought I'd add a positive comment to all the negativity

• Registered Users Posts: 16 KevHurley

Personally I think Joe and Keith were grand. A little sceptical at first since I thought Charlotte and Richie were probably phantoms best combination to date, but Joe and Keith did a great job and Charlotte was getting more involved recently which I also thought was good. Hence I've no issue with Charlotte and Joe now.

The main reason I listen to phantom is the music. Sure, nova was a novelty at the start but there's only so much classic rock I can take plus it's full of ad breaks and crap presenters. Listening to John caddell today and he played root down and make some noise by the beastie boys followed by digital witness by st vincent. Where else would you get that combination? Nowhere. And it's not just finest work songs where you hear good tunes. All day long they play decent stuff. Hope that never changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Liam92

Joe & Keith just didn't suit Phantom in my opinion. Their style of presenting didn't work for Phantom and I had to tune in elsewhere because it was stale radio.

The whole comedian duo thing is becoming old and boring, yet Irish radio seems to lap it up. Phantom should hire fresh blood, giving a breakfast show to newcomers and see what happens.

Maybe focus on the music and light-hearted news and see where it goes. Joe & Keith trying to be funny all the time didn't work but Charlotte was good with Richie so maybe with time, Charlotte & Joe will find what works and hopefully I and other regular Phantom listeners will tune in more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭el diablo

Joe and Pete are bleedin' brutal. I remember them from Spin 1038. They're probably hilarious if you're a 15 year old school boy. Never a good fit for Phantom FM.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Liam92 wrote: »
    Joe & Keith just didn't suit Phantom in my opinion. Their style of presenting didn't work for Phantom and I had to tune in elsewhere because it was stale radio.

The whole comedian duo thing is becoming old and boring, yet Irish radio seems to lap it up. Phantom should hire fresh blood, giving a breakfast show to newcomers and see what happens.

Maybe focus on the music and light-hearted news and see where it goes. Joe & Keith trying to be funny all the time didn't work but Charlotte was good with Richie so maybe with time, Charlotte & Joe will find what works and hopefully I and other regular Phantom listeners will tune in more.

Joe and Keith were the original comedy duo. When they were going the strawberry alarm clock was justin joan and colm and I think justin left and Jim jim came on and then joan left they never brought in anyone else. 98fm were dermot dave and siobhan...till she left and they went to drive time ultimately. It was always just joe and Keith and they were very funny together.

I don't know why comedy doesn't work with phantom listeners.but now the comedy is gone. ..there's a bit of banter and a lot more music and still people sre complaining. I wonder to phantom listeners think they own the station from the pirate days and they feel theyve control over how the programmes go.

All the same its brought in new listeners like myself and joe and Charlotte are nicr listening in the morning so I'm happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

It's *lost* far more listeners than the Joe and Keith fans from the spin days. That's the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

It's *lost* far more listeners than the Joe and Keith fans from the spin days. That's the point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

KevHurley wrote: »
    I thought Charlotte and Richie were probably phantoms best combination to date

Pete and Clodagh were the best combination.

KevHurley wrote: »
    Listening to John caddell today and he played root down and make some noise by the beastie boys followed by digital witness by st vincent. Where else would you get that combination? Nowhere. And it's not just finest work songs where you hear good tunes. All day long they play decent stuff. Hope that never changes.

IMO...JC is full of his own self importance, bordering on arrogance....John, youre not that great....;)
    I actually switched back to Nova (just for now) as i found after listen to Phantom all day every day as i had been, i started to see the same repeat pattern as Nova...the thing i hated most.....
    As for that pair in the morning....:rolleyes:....I just hate that format that seems to be the norm on morning programming...yawn.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10 JohnCaddell

Max, are you available for radio consultancy? I have this problem where I think I'm not completely rubbish at my job, and I think you could help bring me down to earth. My head is so big, I can't get through even the big door in Marconi House, and I have to broadcast my arrogant show from the street. PM me if you can help. Thank you!

Yours in anticipation

John Caddell
    DJ Of The Year In His Own Head
    Outside Marconi House
    Dublin 2

John's defensive response proves for once and for all that he's definitely not arrogant. If anything, he's very insecure! Play Cornerstone John, will ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 KevHurley

I think the point is that we listen to the radio for music. I would certainly have thought Phantom fans listen for the music. I could listen to good music on other stations but to do so I would have to listen to 4 or 5 crap songs for every good song.

When I listen to Phantom during the day, almost every song is good. Apart from that new Damon Albarn song. Which isn't really a song, more just a collection of random noises...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Max, are you available for radio consultancy? I have this problem where I think I'm not completely rubbish at my job, and I think you could help bring me down to earth. My head is so big, I can't get through even the big door in Marconi House, and I have to broadcast my arrogant show from the street. PM me if you can help. Thank you!

Yours in anticipation

John Caddell
    Outside Marconi House
    Dublin 2

Get back to work John. Oh, and play "Gimme Danger" by Iggy and the Stooges for me during the energy hour. Please!

Gotta love it when someone who "saw Arctic Monkeys once" but was too pissed to remember it wins the tickets on air! #notresentfulatall

Yours in anticipation

John Caddell
    Outside Marconi House
    Dublin 2

..forgot to say,,,,,,he's not funny either.........:p

So... Joe and Keith wern't good because they were trying to act funny too much, which is understandable if you don't like their humour, but now John Caddell is arrogant and too self important. I see a pattern... I don't listen to Phantom much but people have to face facts that they have presenters, why not just listen to an ipod or something if that's how you feel... I don't want to drive listeners away from the station but sometimes its hard to understand why people put themselves through listening to it when it annoys them.

• Advertisement

soc160 wrote: »
    So... Joe and Keith wern't good because they were trying to act funny too much, which is understandable if you don't like their humour, but now John Caddell is arrogant and too self important. I see a pattern... I don't listen to Phantom much but people have to face facts that they have presenters, why not just listen to an ipod or something if that's how you feel... I don't want to drive listeners away from the station but sometimes its hard to understand why people put themselves through listening to it when it annoys them.

If youre referring to my comment, then you need to re read it....i switched away from Phantom because of their repetitiveness..not because of JC.....;)

Advertisement