Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

phantom breakfast show - where is Keith ?

Options
  • 09-01-2014 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Does anyone know what happened to Keith on phantom's breakfast show? He's gone! Where did he go? Will he ever come back?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

half the reason I switched off that breckie show - the accents were grating!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭johnplayer

2FM Breakfast .

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Moyet

I suppose if enough people complain , Keith will return. I heard he's not very popular on and off air so i doubt that would happen. I personally don't mind him on my 9 minute commute to work in the morning.

He should have brought back the sketch segments that him and Joe used to do on Spin years ago. They were hilarious in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

Moyet wrote: »
    I suppose if enough people complain , Keith will return. I heard he's not very popular on and off air so i doubt that would happen. I personally don't mind him on my 9 minute commute to work in the morning.

He should have brought back the sketch segments that him and Joe used to do on Spin years ago. They were hilarious in my opinion.

He's gone/going to 2fm he's not going to return. What do you mean by not very popular on and off air exactly. I know some hardcore Phantom fans don't like the format at breakfast, but are you saying he wasn't liked by other staff?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

more info here. keith's details / info have been removed from the phantom site now so i doubt he's coming back.
    http://radionation.ie/2014/01/bernard-keith-tipped-take-2fm-breakfast/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Keith was also Programme Director at Phantom. So there's another vacancy going.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Radio is for life

With the greatest respect to all those who love Phantom, i doubt he will be missed as those who listen could possible fit in one room. Looking recently recently at the AQH for the show, it is quite concerning. Sadly the genre of music and the niche market got smaller to the point of almost non-existent over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Great news. Hopefully Joe will follow soon along with The 2 Dicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Sadly the genre of music and the niche market got smaller to the point of almost non-existent over the years.

More so the fact that the genre was abandoned by Phantom, the genre is still as popular as ever with people. The station turned into the very station it used to parody, lost its best DJs and doesn't know what it wants to be anymore other than head down the yoof commercial direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭unaoz

They haven't mentioned anything on the show about him leaving have they? Personally love the two guys on the show they're very funny....I know that gavin burke lost his cinerama show...anyone know why that was? He used to do a bit on Ritchie and Ritchie show...but now he's gone from that aswell unfortunately...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 95 ✭✭RichieMc

unaoz wrote: »
    They haven't mentioned anything on the show about him leaving have they? Personally love the two guys on the show they're very funny....I know that gavin burke lost his cinerama show...anyone know why that was? He used to do a bit on Ritchie and Ritchie show...but now he's gone from that aswell unfortunately...

Still with us

http://www.phantom.ie/blogs/190.191.196.267/4182/-/Gavin_Burke's_Film_Reviews_08-01-14%20-%20Gavin_Burke's_Film_Reviews_08-01-14

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Radio is for life

ThisRegard wrote: »
    More so the fact that the genre was abandoned by Phantom, the genre is still as popular as ever with people. The station turned into the very station it used to parody, lost its best DJs and doesn't know what it wants to be anymore other than head down the yoof commercial direction.

I agree it's changed but it was losing listeners faster than titanic lost passengers under the original format. Going back 6 years ago alternative music was more popular. All the big summer headline gigs featured alternative music but now its Rihanna and Lady GaGa, Its never going to be a success under the current licence restrictions. If not for Dennis O Brien it would be history by now. The changes were made to cut costs and try to save the station as it was monumentally failing sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

Maybe Phantom should fix what they broke for no reason now. Getting rid of Pure Morning for those two clowns was a ridiculous decision.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

So they got rid of Pure morning for Joe and Keith crap and now Keith had jumped ship and they're left with Joe? Ha, I used to listen to phantom all day, then they put Claire Beck on so I turned off drive time, then they got rid of Pure morning and I gave up completely. I'd listen to Ritchie and Ritchie but its on a bit too late. Sadly enough these days I'd listen to more 98fm over the stuff that's on Phantom.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭unaoz

Ginny wrote: »
    So they got rid of Pure morning for Joe and Keith crap and now Keith had jumped ship and they're left with Joe? Ha, I used to listen to phantom all day, then they put Claire Beck on so I turned off drive time, then they got rid of Pure morning and I gave up completely. I'd listen to Ritchie and Ritchie but its on a bit too late. Sadly enough these days I'd listen to more 98fm over the stuff that's on Phantom.

Dont have any problems with clare beck she's pretty good...only one that kinda bugs me is nadine oregan her voice really annoys me and iv to turn off...which is a pity cos she plays cool music and usually has cool guests!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Im gutted about them splitting up lol. I loved them on spin. They made the commute to work a right giggle. I loved their banter and their sketches. I remember them announcing they were finishing up and their last show jees it was horrendous lol.

My husband is a phantom fan and he rang me one morning to say joe and Keith were back on I was like a cocker spaniel leaping about the place lol. I didnt even know where to find phantom! It was fantastic having them both back. I thought it would be crap without the sketches and they'd have to be a bit more down beat to fit in with the phantom audiences, but they were still the same hilarious numpties. So many times ive laughed out loud listening. Now phantom is always on my radio and I've heard such a broader spectrum of music that I've been missing out on all these years :D

Im assuming because there was no great announcement about Keith that there was some issue between them? I wonder if they've fallen out? But I take it this time there's no going back and that's the end of Joe and Keith now *sob*

My thinking at first was you couldn't have one without the other. Through Spin and Phantom Joe always came across as the serious radio guy and Keith the funny fella. But then I was listening to Joe and Charlotte on Friday and something he said made me laugh on the bus. ..so that settles it for me...he'll still get me listening :D

Its a shame reading this thread that they weren't popular with regular phantom listeners, but they never really had a chance if the show before them was so popular. They're not your regular morning breakfast show hosts. ..jim jim and nobby and most of the other tools on morning radio are like nails on a blackboard to me. ..Joe and Keith were naturally funny and bounced off each other so well.

Now if Keith is going to 2fm and they're going head to head in the morning. ..its a bit like being the child in thr middle of a divorce settlement and deciding who to visit for Christmas dinner :D

Im gutted about them splitting up lol. I loved them on spin. They made the commute to work a right giggle. I loved their banter and their sketches. I remember them announcing they were finishing up and their last show jees it was horrendous lol.

I think they get a lot of criticism in here because Phantom fans don't want them there, or didn't, but they did a good job, they increased listenership in the morning, probably by bringing new listeners, such as yourself.

Aside from any criticism people give them, they are one of the best duo's on radio, they are genuinely friends, have know each other for years and bounce off each other so well on-air, I think 2fm could have done well bringing both over to the station. I listen to Dermot and Dave a lot on 98 and I think along with Joe and Keith they are the best duo's on radio. Something probably built in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

That's a shame that they are no more. I have to admit that I hated them to start, but they grew into the role a bit more as time went on and they became the show I listened to in the morning.

I liked the fact that they were fairly self-deprecating. I assume that Charlotte will hardly be a full-time replacement?

soc160 wrote: »
    I think they get a lot of criticism in here because Phantom fans don't want them there, or didn't, but they did a good job, they increased listenership in the morning, probably by bringing new listeners, such as yourself.

Aside from any criticism people give them, they are one of the best duo's on radio, they are genuinely friends, have know each other for years and bounce off each other so well on-air, I think 2fm could have done well bringing both over to the station. I listen to Dermot and Dave a lot on 98 and I think along with Joe and Keith they are the best duo's on radio. Something probably built in time.

I agree with you 100%...they are definitely the best duo on radio bar none. Its a shame the audience never took to them because I think they enjoyed being on phantom. I think the music is the stuff they like listening to themselves and I really got the feeling they enjoyed being back. I remember after they just started back they had a comedy guy on, who they knew from their spin days and he asked how they were getting on and Keith commented 'riding the winds of hate', and they laughed. But id hate to think they were reading boards and thinking that's the general consensus.

There were some of us who got the jokes and the humour and who really got a buzz outof listening to them.

I rang in and got on air with them one morning and I couldn't keep up with them. ..they just went off on their own tangent and all I could do was laugh! :D

I just really hope we don't lose Joe now too.

Faaaaaaaarrrrrr from even being a good pairing. They were so. Damn. Boring. And just painfully awkward. I'm genuinely surprised to learn they knew each other off air, because that never came across for me during the show.

• Advertisement

Faaaaaaaarrrrrr from even being a good pairing. They were so. Damn. Boring. And just painfully awkward. I'm genuinely surprised to learn they knew each other off air, because that never came across for me during the show.

They referenced knowing each other regularly, about growing up together etc.. I think if they were on another station they would be doing quite well. Who would you consider a good pairing on radio? it's hard to find a good pairing in my opinion, sometimes its better to just have one.

They referenced knowing each other regularly, about growing up together etc.. I think if they were on another station they would be doing quite well. Who would you consider a good pairing on radio? it's hard to find a good pairing in my opinion, sometimes its better to just have one.

KC/Lenny and Foley/JP are both miles ahead of Keith/Joe for me.

Did you listen a lot? It's strange that anyone could think they don't know ewch other when they constantly spoke about school together, people they knew and stuff they got up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mp4

That's a serious shame. I thought he was on holidays. That show was magic but if he's not coming back then there's no point listening to the other pair.
    Has he got his own show somewhere then? I get the feeling that neither of them will be as funny on their own.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

mp4 wrote: »
    That's a serious shame. I thought he was on holidays. That show was magic but if he's not coming back then there's no point listening to the other pair.
    Has he got his own show somewhere then? I get the feeling that neither of them will be as funny on their own.:(

The answer is earlier in this very thread! The word is that he coming to 2FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

The answer is earlier in this very thread! The word is that he coming to 2FM.

Thats great. Maybe he can bring the other fella, Joe and it will will give me another reason not to listen to 2fm and maybe go back to Phantom. Can't stand these guys.

Also what is it with having a two people presenting shows? Are they incapable of getting one person to do it? Do they have to fill the airwaves with inane chatter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Gutted! Charlotte is trying her best but its just not the same

Vel wrote: »
    Gutted! Charlotte is trying her best but its just not the same

Im starting to feel that too. Every time he says this is Joe and Charlotte you feel Joe and Keith is just on the tip of his tongue. I would still hate it if Joe went though. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

The JNLR figures say otherwise. Keith tanked that show's ratings by putting him and his brainless mate in the slot, which in turn tanked the show after it, and he tanked the drivetime and weekend audiences too by sacking good presenters and bringing in ****e ones, such as the GAA dickhead.

Weekend listenership went from 45,000 to 10,000.

Total disaster area as a programme director and as a dj.

• Advertisement

Seems we'll find out where he's ended up tomorrow morning

Advertisement