Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

single parent tax credits

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Good question - and sorry but I dont have answer

I'd say just ring the tax office

• Registered Users Posts: 14 owiseone

As far as I am aware ;Yes , as long as you are not cohabitating

A parent can only relinquish/surrender the credit if they are entitled to it. So if a mother remarries or is living with someone she is not entitled to the credit so can not give it to some one else. The primary carer has to complete form SPCC1 to confirm she's entitled to the credit, i.e not living with anyone and is the primary carer. Then on same form she can relinquish it to the other parent. The other parent fills in SPCC2 form to confirm he isn't living with anyone and he takes child at least 100 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Morak Thun

My situation is somewhat different, if anyone has any experience or advice.

My ex wife moved to the UK a number of years back with our daughter. Similar to a previous poster the costs involved for me are extensive, from child support, to travelling expenses to the UK for visits, to paying for my daughters travel to and from the UK for frequent visits to Ireland. My daughter spends a lot of time with me in Ireland. Weekends, school and summer holidays etc.

I have been in receipt of the one parent family tax credit which has made these expenses more manageable, but am now faced with a reduction of some €2,500 net over the course of 2014 as a result of these changes.

This is very hard to stomach, and can only result in my daughter being disadvantaged.

My assumption is (correct me if I am wrong), that based on the fact that my ex wife resides outside the jurisdiction with my daughter, and are in receipt of children's allowance in the UK, that she would not be entitled to the single person child carer credit regardless of whether she was agreeable to surrender her entitlement to the credit.

Has anyone come across such a scenario or can anyone suggest any possible solutions?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Frank Boggins

Hey I would love some help on this.

I am after getting shafted on this.

My ex has 2 kids with another lad and I am wondering would she get it cause of them kids and I could get it for my son?

see post #33 - doesnt look like it (assuming she does not qualify as a primary claiment )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's a mess is what it is and will ultimately affect a lot of children :( €200 is a lot of money to lose in a month.

In my case I think I'm going to just have to live with it as myself and the little fella's mother don't really talk or have a formal agreement on maintenance in place (I give her an agreed amount and pay other incidental costs as well as the cost of travelling down/accommodation etc) and if she was to sign this over to me, no doubt they'd start chasing me for more money than I'm already paying if reading some of the other threads here is any indication.

But I'll be sure to remember it when the local election campaigning starts! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Enright330

Hi there,

I am in the same boat as you. It's is clearly designed for one parent to receive the credit in this case it's is us as we are the ones working in Ireland and paying tax.

Even if your child is with you for 100 or more , your ex partner cannot receive an irish tax credit as she is out of the state. Therefor she cannot sign it over to you.

Any father who has a child living out of the state is gonna be paying tax as a single man.

It is discrimination at the fullest. Your child is entitled to child benefit here but the mother gets the payment you have to fill in a cb1 form and provide you and your ex details and they will pay your ex the difference between the payments in both countries so that your child receives the same amount as an irish child.

I've called the minister for finance office, the revenue, citizen advice, my local td and one family org, we are hitting a brick wall.

My child is with me over 100 days a year between school holidays and wknds and days I spend with him in the uk also..I'm lucky with my job that I can get over easily and get him home but it still a cost.

I'm wondering can anything be done on a European level

If anyone can help or share light on this please get in touch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 jimjims64

Hi guys I am in the same boat and have contacted revenue:

When the budget came into effect they took everyone off old credit. Now only the mother (primary carer) can apply for the new credit, but she can relinquish it to the father if they both agree.

Step 1: Mother applies for new credit

Step 2: Mother signs a form relinquishing the tax credit to the father

The mother can at any time after the current tax year has ended take back the tax credit by contacting revenue. So if she gave you the tax credit in 2014, she will have to wait until 2015 to take it back if she wants to.

In some cases the mother is not working, and is claiming social welfare, so the tax credit is useless to her.

its still rather unfair in the cases where the mother is not entittled to claim as a primary claimant ad can not pass it on

its still rather unfair in the cases where the mother is not entittled to claim as a primary claimant ad can not pass it on

That's how the government intend on screwing us..they're a cute bunch, know exactly what they're doing...

• Advertisement

Just to know, what circumstances would the mother not be eligible to receive the tax credit?

jimjims64 wrote: »
    Just to know, what circumstances would the mother not be eligible to receive the tax credit?

if she is co-habitating or has remarried

I wonder if it was a genuine mistake when they were drafting the legislation and could still be changed?

Hey guys...
    The mother is not entitled to the credit if she is co hab or married or lives out of state.

Anyone who has a kid to a foreign mother has lost their credit as the mother can't receive it therefore cannot relinquish it to the father.

I'm being taxed as a single man and my child is not recognised by this country

My advice is to email your local TDs and the minister for finance and Taoiseach

Also appeal it with the revenue and contact the appeals commissioner

I've received mail back from the government that they are looking in to it .

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Daveo1982

Hi
    I have my son over the 100 days and my x is married and still claiming the tax credit and won't relinquish it is there anything I can do I've sent forms in and just keep sending them back asking for the primary to relinquish it I also give her maintenance every month so this has hit me hard in my pocket as I live alone and pay for stuff for my kid also now he asks to do stuff and I just have to say I've no money

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Manlord

Daveo1982 wrote: »
    Hi
    I have my son over the 100 days and my x is married and still claiming the tax credit and won't relinquish it is there anything I can do I've sent forms in and just keep sending them back asking for the primary to relinquish it I also give her maintenance every month so this has hit me hard in my pocket as I live alone and pay for stuff for my kid also now he asks to do stuff and I just have to say I've no money

If not relinquished I don't think you have any choices here unfortunately apart from common sense and split the credit between you but I am aware that this is sometimes never going to be an option when dealing with a separation of the previous relationship.

I have spent almost 4 months fighting this with mail after mail after mail after conversation after conversation after conversation after returned mail after returned mail after returned mail (annoying isn't it?) Well then multiply that by a 100 and you will still be nowhere near how frustrated I became having to deal with the Revenue and trying my best to explain my situation.

I was told by revenue officials on at least 7 occasions (5-6 different members of staff) that I did not qualify for the SPTC (or whatever it's called now) but I insisted that I was and I sent in a 5 page detailed review of my situation (5 weeks ago) and how from statements shown on the revenue website I was fully entitled to the credit.

I also spoke to my local TD (FG Dublin South) and asked if I could reference her name on the letter and if I did not receive satisfaction I would be taking my claim further up the chain of command.

I have just received my credit through my accountant in work and they have also backdated the amount of money I have lost this year.

Summary: Revenue officials do not know what they are talking about when discussing it with the parents involved as this new framework is only in existence the last 4.5 months so they will and have made incorrect statements to me and I assume others on numerous occasions without actually knowing what it right & wrong. I can also assume that many people will just ring up and inquire and if told no will then just call it a day. I could have called it a day on so many levels but just kept fighting for what i know to be correct and in the end got what I deserve.

Advice: When the revenue phone line tells you the call is being recorded it is also a good idea to tell the representative that you are also recording the call. I have an app on my phone which records my selected calls but from experience I find it best to allow the call to progress towards conclusion (or basically fobbing you off) before you tell them that you are/were recording the call and see how the attitude changes IMMEDIATELY from being 100% sure you are not entitled to the credit to an attitude of well actually I'm not sure and you should speak to someone who does know which is usually the supervisor (also let them know and see them also claim not to know exactly who is entitled)

My experience has shown me that they do not actually care if you deserve it, want it, entitled to it but would sooner finish the call and go for a cuppa. Am i being harsh? Not at all - i have gone through hell with each and every member of staff I ever spoke to and have no other observation than they are wasters.

Everything that is wrong with this country can be summed up in my dealings with the revenue Re; single parent tax credit.

Good luck to all of you and never give up or believe anything they tell you over the phone. Our situations are complex and have many facets of confusion which they do not want to investigate so it's up to you guys to detail it just like a solicitors letter with threats of media coverage or even just asking them for their full name and position and that you have the full call recorded and will highlight exactly what they have TOLD YOU WAS FACT!

Nothing like a public show for someone to step right back and change their stance on things that were FACT only 1 minute previous to your threat.

I'm now €49 better off each week which makes a big difference to me.

My x is still receiving the credit also just for reference and fully entitled to I might add rather than a revenue clerical error.

deere13 wrote: »
    hi people . im new to boards so bare with me . im looking help on tax credits .im a single father of one and my ex has two kids by 2 different fathers . just wondering can i still claim the allowance now or does this affect her claim . i know she cant claim for 3 so can i still apply. as one father doesnt work so it wouldnt affect him if she claimed for that child and i claimed for mine ? . its a big loss for me to take. as im rearing my son half the year too . Thank you

OP - this is 100% available to you. i know you have not been active since first posting but if you get this please PM me and i will chat to you outside of boards as to how to do this and I will also mail you a copy of the letter I sent so that you can get this credit immediately.

hoping you see this soon.

owiseone wrote: »
    she is only entitled to one tax credit no matter how many children she has so if she relinquishes her entitlement to you she can no longer claim it so you both will not get it. if she has 2 kids by different fathers both fathers would be entitled to the credit if she relinquishes hers. If they satisfy all the qualifying criteria of course.

from FAQ on revenue website :-
    A primary claimant has three qualifying children and is in receipt of one credit. Can he
    or she surrender a credit in respect of one of the children while retaining his or her own
    claim?
    No. A claimant is only entitled to one credit regardless of the number of qualifying children
    residing with him or her. He or she would have to surrender that credit in respect of all the
    children for any of the children to become the subject of a claim by a secondary claimant. It
    should be noted that where a credit is surrendered a number of secondary claimants may
    make claims in respect of each of the children, (once they qualify as secondary claimants).

Again too many different individual circumstances to cover everyone but if a mother has two kids for example by two different fathers the mother can claim for one of the kids and keep her credit and the father can claim for his child also which the mother does not claim for (once mother is not claiming for that particular child as there is no extra benefit to claim for both)

Does that makes sense?

Use the same situation as above but with both kids being by one father and you cannot have two credits awarded - Just the one awarded to the children's allowance receiver (99% the mother)

Morak Thun wrote: »
    My situation is somewhat different, if anyone has any experience or advice.

My ex wife moved to the UK a number of years back with our daughter. Similar to a previous poster the costs involved for me are extensive, from child support, to travelling expenses to the UK for visits, to paying for my daughters travel to and from the UK for frequent visits to Ireland. My daughter spends a lot of time with me in Ireland. Weekends, school and summer holidays etc.

I have been in receipt of the one parent family tax credit which has made these expenses more manageable, but am now faced with a reduction of some €2,500 net over the course of 2014 as a result of these changes.

This is very hard to stomach, and can only result in my daughter being disadvantaged.

My assumption is (correct me if I am wrong), that based on the fact that my ex wife resides outside the jurisdiction with my daughter, and are in receipt of children's allowance in the UK, that she would not be entitled to the single person child carer credit regardless of whether she was agreeable to surrender her entitlement to the credit.

Has anyone come across such a scenario or can anyone suggest any possible solutions?

Thanks in advance

Simple answer here is that if she is not claiming the credit and you look after your daughter (meeting criteria of days etc) and are single then the credit is yours no doubt.

Do NOT listen to anything they tell you over the phone as they are not sure about what they are telling people.

Pick the parts out on the revenue website under FAQ's etc and work out the situation for yourself and I know you will get this.

Hey I would love some help on this.

I am after getting shafted on this.

My ex has 2 kids with another lad and I am wondering would she get it cause of them kids and I could get it for my son?

definitely open to you once she is willing to only claim for one child (not yours) and then you claim for your child only.

Both will obtain the full credit.

i must just clarify i meant you are entitled to it if you are 50-50 with child's time in each parents care i.e. both primary carers.

Then you would be entitled to apply as the primary not just a secondary and it would make no difference if she lived abroad.

Right I'm all done here because there's not much else I can say until other reply or ask questions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Feed me Seymour

Manlord wrote: »

My x is still receiving the credit also just for reference and fully entitled to I might add rather than a revenue clerical error.

How did both of you manage to claim the credit? Was the 1650 and extra rate abnd split in 2? - Curious, as I understand there can only be 1 credit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Feed me Seymour

Again too many different individual circumstances to cover everyone but if a mother has two kids for example by two different fathers the mother can claim for one of the kids and keep her credit and the father can claim for his child also which the mother does not claim for (once mother is not claiming for that particular child as there is no extra benefit to claim for both)

From the website: A primary claimant has three qualifying children and is in receipt of one credit. Can he or she surrender a credit in respect of one of the children while retaining his or her own claim?

No. A claimant is only entitled to one credit regardless of the number of qualifying children residing with him or her. He or she would have to surrender that credit in respect of all the children for any of the children to become the subject of a claim by a secondary claimant. It should be noted that where a credit is surrendered a number of secondary claimants may make claims in respect of each of the children, (once they qualify as secondary claimants).

I dont understand. The piece from the faq contradicts what your saying

hi,

no we got the full credit and rate band each as I argued that I am a primary carer for my son and she is the primary carer also as everything is 50/50

That last statement you posted from the website is only applicable to a primary and secondary carer i.e. one parent has the kids 6 days and one has them 1 day.

The revenue website does NOT cover all individual cases so you must fight for it rather than accept the generic answers given by staff and site.

i must just clarify i meant you are entitled to it if you are 50-50 with child's time in each parents care i.e. both primary carers.

Then you would be entitled to apply as the primary not just a secondary and it would make no difference if she lived abroad.

Right I'm all done here because there's not much else I can say until other reply or ask questions.

Much as I would love to, I do not think that I could stretch it to a 50/50 split of time, and this from their FAQ seems to have me scuppered as a secondary carer when the primary resides in the UK....

"How will the credit apply where a primary carer lives in Northern Ireland and has no income tax liability in this state, while the secondary claimant lives and has an income tax liability in this state?
    If the primary carer resides outside the State and has no income liable to tax in the State, then he or she would not be entitled to the new tax credit under the Irish tax system and therefore would not be in a position to give it up. However, where a primary claimant has income which is chargeable to tax under the Irish tax system, and, therefore, has an entitlement to a credit, even if their entitlement to the credit is restricted on a pro-rata basis related to their non-Irish income*, then in such circumstances a claim by the secondary claimant can be made if the credit is surrendered by the primary claimant."

If not relinquished I don't think you have any choices here unfortunately apart from common sense and split the credit between you but I am aware that this is sometimes never going to be an option when dealing with a separation of the previous relationship.

I have spent almost 4 months fighting this with mail after mail after mail after conversation after conversation after conversation after returned mail after returned mail after returned mail (annoying isn't it?) Well then multiply that by a 100 and you will still be nowhere near how frustrated I became having to deal with the Revenue and trying my best to explain my situation.

I was told by revenue officials on at least 7 occasions (5-6 different members of staff) that I did not qualify for the SPTC (or whatever it's called now) but I insisted that I was and I sent in a 5 page detailed review of my situation (5 weeks ago) and how from statements shown on the revenue website I was fully entitled to the credit.

I also spoke to my local TD (FG Dublin South) and asked if I could reference her name on the letter and if I did not receive satisfaction I would be taking my claim further up the chain of command.

I have just received my credit through my accountant in work and they have also backdated the amount of money I have lost this year.

Summary: Revenue officials do not know what they are talking about when discussing it with the parents involved as this new framework is only in existence the last 4.5 months so they will and have made incorrect statements to me and I assume others on numerous occasions without actually knowing what it right & wrong. I can also assume that many people will just ring up and inquire and if told no will then just call it a day. I could have called it a day on so many levels but just kept fighting for what i know to be correct and in the end got what I deserve.

Advice: When the revenue phone line tells you the call is being recorded it is also a good idea to tell the representative that you are also recording the call. I have an app on my phone which records my selected calls but from experience I find it best to allow the call to progress towards conclusion (or basically fobbing you off) before you tell them that you are/were recording the call and see how the attitude changes IMMEDIATELY from being 100% sure you are not entitled to the credit to an attitude of well actually I'm not sure and you should speak to someone who does know which is usually the supervisor (also let them know and see them also claim not to know exactly who is entitled)

My experience has shown me that they do not actually care if you deserve it, want it, entitled to it but would sooner finish the call and go for a cuppa. Am i being harsh? Not at all - i have gone through hell with each and every member of staff I ever spoke to and have no other observation than they are wasters.

Everything that is wrong with this country can be summed up in my dealings with the revenue Re; single parent tax credit.

Good luck to all of you and never give up or believe anything they tell you over the phone. Our situations are complex and have many facets of confusion which they do not want to investigate so it's up to you guys to detail it just like a solicitors letter with threats of media coverage or even just asking them for their full name and position and that you have the full call recorded and will highlight exactly what they have TOLD YOU WAS FACT!

Nothing like a public show for someone to step right back and change their stance on things that were FACT only 1 minute previous to your threat.

I'm now €49 better off each week which makes a big difference to me.

Great to hear someone had success. Good for you. It still sickens me how they brought this cut in.

I got this email

The Minister for Finance, Mr. Michael Noonan, T.D., has asked me to reply to your correspondence regarding the Single Person Child Carer Credit.

As you are aware the One-Parent Family Credit has been replaced with a new Single Person Child Carer Credit from 1 January 2014. The restructured credit is of the same value i.e. €1,650 per annum as the one-parent family credit and also includes the same entitlement to the additional €4,000 extended standard rate band, which increases it to €36,800 per annum, before liability to higher rate of income tax arises. However, the credit and the band are more targeted in that they are, in the first instance, only available to the principal carer of the child.

Given the difficult fiscal environment, it is essential to review all tax reliefs, credits and incentives in order to ensure that they are properly targeted and if necessary re-focused in order that they can achieve the socio-economic objectives that are set for them. A system that allows multiple claims in respect of the same child is unsustainable.

The person who receives the child benefit payment is being used as the initial indicator by the Revenue Commissioners to identify the individuals who are likely to qualify for the new credit. However, the credit will in the first place go to the person who cares for the child for most of the year. Agreement as to who will be the principal carer of a child is a matter for the parents or guardians.

The Commission on Taxation acknowledged that the One-Parent Family Credit played a role in supporting and incentivising the labour market participation of single and widowed parents. However, in its recommendations it concluded that the credit should be retained but that it should be allocated to the principal carer only. The restructuring of the credit will achieve such an outcome.

Notwithstanding the above, as a result of an amendment which the Minister brought forward at Committee Stage of the Finance Bill, a principal carer who is entitled to the credit and who does not wish to avail of it can choose to surrender it. A secondary carer may then make a claim for the credit, provided that the qualifying child resides with him or her for not less than 100 days in the tax year.

It should be noted that where a primary carer is married, in a civil partnership or cohabiting they would not be entitled to the new credit (or indeed the former one). In such circumstances the primary carer cannot relinquish the credit to a secondary carer. In addition, a secondary carer who is married, in a civil partnership or cohabiting, would not be entitled to the new credit (or indeed the former one) regardless of the marital status of the primary carer.

In the circumstances described in your correspondence, the principal carer would not be entitled to the new tax credit under the Irish tax system, as she is living abroad, and therefore would not be in a position to relinquish it. Thus a non-primary carer would not be in a position to make a claim for the credit.

I trust that the above clarifies the position.

This is what I got from minister for finance.....

My son lives in the uk with his mam I pay maintenance and have him home for weekends and school holidays etx travel expenses plus clothing here.

Has anyone got anywhere further than me?

I'm in the exact same position I posted a letter below that I got from Michael noonan I don't want to give up either I feel so hard done by from this government. I did give up after reading his letter however after seeing everyone's replys I'm not giving up.
    Man lord you seem to know a lot can you please advise what we should do?

Enright330 wrote: »
    I'm in the exact same position I posted a letter below that I got from Michael noonan I don't want to give up either I feel so hard done by from this government. I did give up after reading his letter however after seeing everyone's replys I'm not giving up.
    Man lord you seem to know a lot can you please advise what we should do?

I wonder is there any way the legal position could be looked at. It strikes me as very odd that the government and revenue can classify parents as primary and secondary carers. I consider myself my daughter's primary carer along with her mother. Granted she resides with her mother in Scotland more than with me, but it is not viable for me to travel over to take her back to Ireland every weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Enright330 wrote: »
    I got this email

The Minister for Finance, Mr. Michael Noonan, T.D., has asked me to reply to your correspondence regarding the Single Person Child Carer Credit.

As you are aware the One-Parent Family Credit has been replaced with a new Single Person Child Carer Credit from 1 January 2014. The restructured credit is of the same value i.e. €1,650 per annum as the one-parent family credit and also includes the same entitlement to the additional €4,000 extended standard rate band, which increases it to €36,800 per annum, before liability to higher rate of income tax arises. However, the credit and the band are more targeted in that they are, in the first instance, only available to the principal carer of the child.

Given the difficult fiscal environment, it is essential to review all tax reliefs, credits and incentives in order to ensure that they are properly targeted and if necessary re-focused in order that they can achieve the socio-economic objectives that are set for them. A system that allows multiple claims in respect of the same child is unsustainable.

The person who receives the child benefit payment is being used as the initial indicator by the Revenue Commissioners to identify the individuals who are likely to qualify for the new credit. However, the credit will in the first place go to the person who cares for the child for most of the year. Agreement as to who will be the principal carer of a child is a matter for the parents or guardians.

The Commission on Taxation acknowledged that the One-Parent Family Credit played a role in supporting and incentivising the labour market participation of single and widowed parents. However, in its recommendations it concluded that the credit should be retained but that it should be allocated to the principal carer only. The restructuring of the credit will achieve such an outcome.

Notwithstanding the above, as a result of an amendment which the Minister brought forward at Committee Stage of the Finance Bill, a principal carer who is entitled to the credit and who does not wish to avail of it can choose to surrender it. A secondary carer may then make a claim for the credit, provided that the qualifying child resides with him or her for not less than 100 days in the tax year.

It should be noted that where a primary carer is married, in a civil partnership or cohabiting they would not be entitled to the new credit (or indeed the former one). In such circumstances the primary carer cannot relinquish the credit to a secondary carer. In addition, a secondary carer who is married, in a civil partnership or cohabiting, would not be entitled to the new credit (or indeed the former one) regardless of the marital status of the primary carer.

In the circumstances described in your correspondence, the principal carer would not be entitled to the new tax credit under the Irish tax system, as she is living abroad, and therefore would not be in a position to relinquish it. Thus a non-primary carer would not be in a position to make a claim for the credit.

I trust that the above clarifies the position.

I think the part bolded is very unfair. I was getting this credit up until Jan this year. The mother of my son is married now. My costs were the same before she was married and are still the same after she got married. Basically her getting married doesn't mean diddly squat to my financial situation. But because she is married she is deemed to no longer qualify for the credit and therefore can't pass it on to me. I think this is bad law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Daveo1982

I think this is discrimination against single fathers and there should be some way of addressing this whith the EU if they are able to change insurance laws the women pay the same as men they then this should be the same as discrimination

Advertisement