Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

single parent tax credits

Options
  • 09-01-2014 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

hi people . im new to boards so bare with me . im looking help on tax credits .im a single father of one and my ex has two kids by 2 different fathers . just wondering can i still claim the allowance now or does this affect her claim . i know she cant claim for 3 so can i still apply. as one father doesnt work so it wouldnt affect him if she claimed for that child and i claimed for mine ? . its a big loss for me to take. as im rearing my son half the year too . Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

deere13 wrote: »
    hi people . im new to boards so bare with me . im looking help on tax credits .im a single father of one and my ex has two kids by 2 different fathers . just wondering can i still claim the allowance now or does this affect her claim . i know she cant claim for 3 so can i still apply. as one father doesnt work so it wouldnt affect him if she claimed for that child and i claimed for mine ? . its a big loss for me to take. as im rearing my son half the year too . Thank you

Anything here ?
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/credits/single-person-child-carer-credit.html

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Manofthewest

Ah you bet me to it citizenpain!

Have a read of this on the revenue website:
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/credits/single-person-child-carer-credit.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3 deere13

Thanks for the response folks . I did read though that, but i was a little unsure of it until i read it again, and now it seems a lot clearer to me , thanks for the reply . now to get her head around it hmm shall be fun . thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ah yes this is another great move by our "leaders" - punish those fathers who take an interest in their children rather than walking away!

As it stands I pay maintenance plus incidental costs and because he and his mother live in another part of the country I'm out travel and accommodation too (if I am down I have to book a hotel/B&B), as well as the costs at this end if he's up with me.

However as she's the primary carer but not currently working, it means she won't get it either so it's win-win for Noonan and co. The only one who loses out is my son!

I'm no fan of FF either but the current shower are actually worse IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭HouseHunter13

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    However as she's the primary carer but not currently working, it means she won't get it either so it's win-win for Noonan and co. The only one who loses out is my son!

she can relinquish the credit to you by filling out a short form, split the difference with her, better in your pockets...

• Advertisement

Don't the kids need to reside with him 100 days to make that possible ?

if the child stays over night with the dad, lets say every Saturday, that counts as two days (sat & sun) as partial days are counted as full days so that would be 104 days for year

for the chap above who travels, sorry get ye now

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

for the chap above who travels, sorry get ye now

Yea and therein lies the problem as I interpret the changes. As it's a 2.5/3 hour car trip and he's not yet 2 and hasn't been well lately (teething, colds etc), a lot of the time I travel down instead.

Considering everything else is going up, €200 a month is a fair chunk to lose overnight like that and the net result will likely be one of 2 things - either I have to give her less, or I don't get to see him as much.

Great choice really! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Manlord

Hi,

I'm in exactly the same boat and feeling rather hard done by.

I have always given my all for my two kids and feel like this is a kick in the teeth for any Father who is making a serious effort to do what's right.

My kids are 4 & 18. My youngest stays with me on wed, thurs, fri, sun one week & thurs, fri, sat the next week. This alternates perfectly over the year to give a 50/50 to myself and my x wife.

My 18 yr old daughter stays with me full time but does see her mother weekly yet I'm now out of pocket to the tune of €2490 per year which I cannot afford to take on the chin.

I actually feel this is blatant discrimination towards me and will fight this as far as I can.

I have no way of working this out with my X so I'll not even bother attempting to suggest she pay me half and there lies my problem.

I received a form from revenue 3 weeks before Xmas saying if I think I'm still due the credit please fill in the form. I did so but received my 2014 tax clearance cert and it was not on it.

I rang up today and was told it was abolished (as I knew) but then asked why I was sent a renewal form of sorts?

It was a mistake and nothing we can do but having explained my situation she is now sending me a form (code I can't remember) and said to fill it in and detail my situation and send it back in. I was in a place where I couldn't really talk so never got the chance to ask what exactly is was or ow it works but basically accepted that is was being posted to me so ill let you know what it is and what's it's about.

I'm actually considering contacting my local TD to discuss this further if I get no satisfaction because it is wholly unacceptable for the govt to have no plan b for situations like the one I find myself in.

Ok rant over.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

The problem is there aren't enough separated dads who actually provide for their children and avail of this credit to actually make enough noise to have it reversed, this was an easy target for pittance in the grand scheme of things...

Kaiser2000, I would never recommend or encourage this in any other circumstance but make a small white lie maybe in order about how often your child stays?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

To the poster above who travels down if the mother of your child doesn't work if I was you I would get her to relinquish the credit to you and send in the claim anyway. Worst case scenario the credit will be taken back off you and your credits will go back to what they are now.

The reason for the change was due to widespread abuse of the old credit, I don't think Revenue will take an extremely hard line on legitimate cases, their main target was to root out people who were living together, using their parents addresses and both claiming the extra credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭detective

What if a separated couple have two children? Let's say the mother has primary custody over one child and the father has primary custody over the other... can they both claim the tax credit then?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Its crazy, I took a hit with this aswell. I have to drive 130+kms to see my son every weekend and with this change I either have to go to the court and get the maintenance reduced or find a way of claiming it again. Its crazy that they are hitting people like this tho.

detective wrote: »
    What if a separated couple have two children? Let's say the mother has primary custody over one child and the father has primary custody over the other... can they both claim the tax credit then?

from the link already posted

What happens in the circumstances where there are two children of a relationship and both parents claim in respect of one child each?
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]In circumstances where an individual, who meets the other requirements of the legislation and who is the parent of a qualifying child, claims that the child is residing with him or her, and the child is not the subject of a claim by any other person, the credit will be granted. If both parents make a claim in respect of one child each and they each satisfy all the qualifying criteria, each parent will be granted a tax credit.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

They get a tax credit. I think that means the full credit will be split betweeen them so they get 825 each, but I'm not 100% on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 twopeasinapod

Hi, so I am a little confused about the Single Person Child Carer Credit, I am researching this for my partner who has a child and noticed today when he got his pay slip he has been deducted.

I have printed off the information from revenue.ie to bring home.
    He pays maintenance, contributes to school expenses, bills etc. and keeps to his allocated time.

The mother of his child (primary claimant) would she have had to apply for this? Does she get this amount automatically?
    The secondary claimant, would this be the child’s father (my partner)?

Also, does anyone know what his entitlements to access are, I know fathers’ rights are practically non-existence in Ireland but what if any are his entitlements, he pays maintenance etc
    I will admit the mother of his child does make it difficult for us at times.

Being with someone who has a child has really opened my eyes to how little rights fathers have to their child (children) and how mothers know they have the upper hand and play to this.

He rang the tax office, they are sending him a form which he will have to get signed by the mother of his child, how will this work, surely if she is getting this money she wont want to give it up too easily….

Thank you in advance for any help or advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Dublin Muppet

I think it automatically goes to the parent who is in receipt of child benefit. If your partner is living with you he is not entitlled to claim the credit

I think it automatically goes to the parent who is in receipt of child benefit. If your partner is living with you he is not entitlled to claim the credit

My partner doesn't want to claim the credit. He already pays maintenance, contributes to schooling, medical expenses etc so why should he have to pay this aswell.
    Would if have been the mother of his child that would have had to fill in the claim form or does it automatically just come out of his account? Its just a bit confusing.

My partner doesn't want to claim the credit. He already pays maintenance, contributes to schooling, medical expenses etc so why should he have to pay this aswell.
    Would if have been the mother of his child that would have had to fill in the claim form or does it automatically just come out of his account? Its just a bit confusing.

He doesn't pay it ! It's a credit given against tax by revenue similar to paye tax credit or personal tax credit .

As in ; it reduces the tax a person pays if they qualify

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Dublin Muppet

This is a revenue tax credit that the primary carer claims against their income. If your partners wages are down it probably means that he was claiming the old one parent family tax credit which has now been abolished and he cannot claim the new primary carer credit if his ex is claiming it

This is a revenue tax credit that the primary carer claims against their income. If your partners wages are down it probably means that he was claiming the old one parent family tax credit which has now been abolished and he cannot claim the new primary carer credit if his ex is claiming it

He doesn't want to claim anything....
    So if his ex is getting this new payment should he now not pay maintenence.... the €31 that came out of his wages, does that go to his ex's bank account....

He doesn't pay it ! It's a credit given against tax by revenue similar to paye tax credit or personal tax credit .

As in ; it reduces the tax a person pays if they qualify

Ok maybe not paying it as such but its a deduction in his wages, its €31 per week, he already pays maintence, school costs etc as I said before.... will his ex receive all of this €31?

He doesn't want to claim anything....
    So if his ex is getting this new payment should he now not pay maintenence.... the €31 that came out of his wages, does that go to his ex's bank account....

They are completely unrelated

She would have got this credit last year too as long as she was not cohabitating

All that has changed is that last year he would have been able to get it too if the child stayed with him a certain number of nights and he was living alone

What is the 31 reduction in His wages ? Do you mean between this year and last ? Did he get this credit last year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 deere13

To Detective as it stands all the credits were cancelled and it reverted to the person who holds the children allowance book as the state said it was the only way they knew who the main carer was . i need to find out more on this as my ex said she she would sign the form so i could collect the tax credit, as it wont affect her because she can claim for one of the other children. But im not sure would this affect the children allowance as i would be then defined as the main carer then because they seem to be linking all these things together now .

No, it won't affect the childrens' allowance

• Registered Users Posts: 14 owiseone

deere13 wrote: »
    To Detective as it stands all the credits were cancelled and it reverted to the person who holds the children allowance book as the state said it was the only way they knew who the main carer was . i need to find out more on this as my ex said she she would sign the form so i could collect the tax credit, as it wont affect her because she can claim for one of the other children. But im not sure would this affect the children allowance as i would be then defined as the main carer then because they seem to be linking all these things together now .

she is only entitled to one tax credit no matter how many children she has so if she relinquishes her entitlement to you she can no longer claim it so you both will not get it. if she has 2 kids by different fathers both fathers would be entitled to the credit if she relinquishes hers. If they satisfy all the qualifying criteria of course.

from FAQ on revenue website :-
    A primary claimant has three qualifying children and is in receipt of one credit. Can he
    or she surrender a credit in respect of one of the children while retaining his or her own
    claim?
    No. A claimant is only entitled to one credit regardless of the number of qualifying children
    residing with him or her. He or she would have to surrender that credit in respect of all the
    children for any of the children to become the subject of a claim by a secondary claimant. It
    should be noted that where a credit is surrendered a number of secondary claimants may
    make claims in respect of each of the children, (once they qualify as secondary claimants).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

My sons mother doesn't claim the one parent credit anymore as she has married someone else now. My son stays with me Friday and Saturday nights. Would i be able to qualify for the payment as she doesn't claim it?

woodoo wrote: »
    My sons mother doesn't claim the one parent credit anymore as she has married someone else now. My son stays with me Friday and Saturday nights. Would i be able to qualify for the payment as she doesn't claim it?

As far as I am aware ;Yes , as long as you are not cohabitating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Gal_Lad

As far as I am aware ;Yes , as long as you are not cohabitating

I've a similar case to WooDoo where my ex partner is now married and not entitled to the credit. I am not co-habitating.

Is it a matter of filling in the necessary form and just applying directly for the credit or do you still have to go through a process of getting the mother to relinquish it? Daft question maybe but I reckon this government will put up as many roadblocks as they can.

Advertisement