Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler needs replacing - landlord broke!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Millem wrote: »
    That's good you have a line, you can't beat a line even if they only get a couple of hours on it for freshness :) dryers are very handy and not too expensive. I am not a cat person so those cats would just scare me! Plus they would drive my dogs mad! Does anyone fees those cats? Or they feral? If so I would try and see if someone or rescue would do that trap neuter release thing!

Monaghan don't do it unfortunately, and a good chunk of them are owned by people living in the estate. They aren't being fed here, but that's not to say they weren't before we moved in. The shed has no door and a couch in it, so I think they've just all copped it's comfier than braving a storm under a hedge or something :(
    Definitely not afraid of them, but rather the mess they make and how unhealthy it is for pregnant ladies!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Monaghan don't do it unfortunately, and a good chunk of them are owned by people living in the estate. They aren't being fed here, but that's not to say they weren't before we moved in. The shed has no door and a couch in it, so I think they've just all copped it's comfier than braving a storm under a hedge or something :(
    Definitely not afraid of them, but rather the mess they make and how unhealthy it is for pregnant ladies!

Omg lol lol :) it is like a little hangout out for them!! Does your dog not go mad?

Millem wrote: »
    Omg lol lol :) it is like a little hangout out for them!! Does your dog not go mad?

Only one really bothers him now, he's sorta used to them. There's a ginger one with half a tail that sits on our patio step and washes himself when he knows Shadow is watching.

Mayhem

Only one really bothers him now, he's sorta used to them. There's a ginger one with half a tail that sits on our patio step and washes himself when he knows Shadow is watching.

Mayhem

Brazen! Once a brazen cat got into my garden and refused to leave and actually hissed at my dog and went for her with her paws. I was worried it was injured so rang emergency vets, they said cat was grand as it could move no problem. Anyway 5 hours and it still hadn't left so I got my OH to put it in a bucket and brought it out to the front garden and it walked off not a bother. The cheek of it!! My poor dogs were afraid to go outside!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Egan2012

If he is a registered landlord would it come under his insurance? He surely has some sort of cover on the house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Don't go near those cats or especially their poop while you're pregnant. Get your OH to pick up all the poop for the next few months!

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Don't go near those cats or especially their poop while you're pregnant. Get your OH to pick up all the poop for the next few months!

He'll love that :o

He'll love that :o

Lol... Pregnancy does have its perks :D. But seriously. You shouldn't be going anywhere near them. And definitely not picking up cat poop. It's known to cause toxoplasmosis.

Good to hear you got your boiler sorted btw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Mayhem
    Water pistol (but not a high-powered one: you want to discourage him, not hurt him).

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

We're giving him today as requested to make a decision and then we will be going to the estate agent. Would it be as "correct" to address the estate agent in the letter instead of the landlord, since that is who we pay the rent to? I'd be giving it in person, so I could explain myself better.
    Address whomever has your deposit.

Writing to him gets nothing done, and when you try to get your deposit back, the EA may just say that they know nothing about the problems. Thus, contact the EA, and see what they'll do about it.
    The rent is paying the mortgage for my landlord so I'm not so sure he will be able to agree to that.
    Let him know that either he agrees, or you walk. Then he'll have to pay €2k before anyone will even view the place.
    Case closed anywho, he just arrived down and told us the new boiler will be delivered and installed tomorrow evening. Hopefully he follows through, getting sick of using perfectly good tea-water for the bottles! :D
    I'm taking it that it's an oil boiler?
    There's a ginger one with half a tail that sits on our patio step and washes himself when he knows Shadow is watching.

Mayhem
    Poor kittie may need a bath? :P :pac:
    http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_water+gun/

=-=

€490 pets allowed http://www.daft.ie/21400662 (but no garden visible)
    €450 http://www.daft.ie/21395373 no mention of pets, but you could ask. has a small garden with a wall around it. Opposite the local Garda station, though

• Advertisement

Shashabear we have been renting for years with dogs, we found all the houses on daft but none actually mentioned "pets allowed". I always ring the landlord first have a chat and tell them about our dogs. We never have had any difficulties finding places :) we have never lied and said they don't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

We do have an outside line, but in fairness it has rained here for hours on end every day for weeks, they'd get wetter outside! We're hoping to buy our own drier in the next week or two. The cats do worry me as well. My dog goes toilet outside and we've had to confine him to one area to try and make sure I'm not picking up the wrong poop :-/

Good result on the boiler hopefully. The cats are an issue if you are preggers though - try chucking some lemons in the shed, they dislike strong citrus smells. You can also get garlic cat deterrent but that smells rank.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If the shed is causing an issue then you could not just get hold of an axe and dismantle it (with the landlords permission of course)? If the cats have nowhere to congregate then they might not be so inclined to hang around.

djimi wrote: »
    If the shed is causing an issue then you could not just get hold of an axe and dismantle it (with the landlords permission of course)? If the cats have nowhere to congregate then they might not be so inclined to hang around.

Well I obviously cant, and my partner isnt home before 10pm most nights which is why we suggested to pay for a skip if the landlord supplied labor.

the_syco I live almost half an hour from Monaghan town, have to stay in the town I am currently in :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... I live almost half an hour from Monaghan town, have to stay in the town I am currently in :(
    You need a new car! I could make that journey in 15-20 minutes.

You need a new car! I could make that journey in 15-20 minutes.

You know where I live?

In any case, I dont drive, so its a bus to Monaghan town. Hence why I need to stay in this town :)

Let us know if he stays true to his word or not. Hopefully he does!

the_syco wrote: »
    Let us know if he stays true to his word or not. Hopefully he does!

Well, nobody has delivered a boiler as of yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭gdavis

hes not gonna deliver and install a boiler in an evening either,

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

Perhaps, we are beginning to see why the ex tenants decided to burn down the shed before leaving...
    Far to many useless landlords in this country.

• Advertisement

Well, nobody has delivered a boiler as of yet!
    Not really all that surprised. Time to start looking for another place. Keep the EA informed of all the broken promises to get the house fixed.

the_syco wrote: »
    Not really all that surprised. Time to start looking for another place. Keep the EA informed of all the broken promises to get the house fixed.

Well Friday night someone arrived down to "fix" the boiler. No sign of a new or even second-hand one to replace it. The lad said he got the part on Thursday but was late home so could only fix it on the Friday. He claims he knows nothing about my landlord replacing the part out of his own pocket Wednesday night, and knows nothing about the boiler needing to be replaced.

Lo-and-behold, it's not coming on now. €70 worth of oil in the tank and between Friday night and this morning it would appear to be gone, despite us not actually being here from 9am-7pm on Saturday. Thermostat is only on 75.

I wouldn't be in the least surprised if the boiler's ruined the "new" part that we've just found out the plumber took from a boiler he had to replace on Thursday.

Get out get out get out...

Get out get out get out...

Viewing the place I mentioned earlier in the thread tonight all going well. No deposit required until we get settled, new bed, couch and fridge-freezer just for us, and he's fencing in the garden for the dog.

Duck this ship!

Viewing the place I mentioned earlier in the thread tonight all going well. No deposit required until we get settled, new bed, couch and fridge-freezer just for us, and he's fencing in the garden for the dog.

Duck this ship!

That's great news! Goodluck with it. You could also try and get your deposit back via the PRTB if the LL won't give it to you. I'd say if hes not registered even mentioning the PRTB to him might make him give it back to you anyway. Best of luck!

That's great news! Goodluck with it. You could also try and get your deposit back via the PRTB if the LL won't give it to you. I'd say if hes not registered even mentioning the PRTB to him might make him give it back to you anyway. Best of luck!

Well when the boiler was fixed we were going to forgo the deposit just to get it done with, but if it turns out it's broken again, I will be fighting for that money!

Well when the boiler was fixed we were going to forgo the deposit just to get it done with, but if it turns out it's broken again, I will be fighting for that money!

Ah ok... Must've missed that... I didn't think it got fixed in the end....

Ah ok... Must've missed that... I didn't think it got fixed in the end....

Yeah, but it doesn't appear to be working again now, so it appears the part that broke was replaced, but the reason it broke in the first place wasn't resolved so naturally it broke again :o

Advertisement