Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler needs replacing - landlord broke!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

djimi wrote: »
    I get what you are saying, but ultimately you are going to have to start making moves to free yourself from the lease if this issue doesnt get sorted, and there is no point in playing nice now if it weakens your position down the line.

Id be inclined to see how tonight goes first and then plan your next move accordingly. If you get the impression that this issue is not going to get sorted any time soon then you are going to have to start thinking about whats best for you and your family, even if it means some short term unpleasantness until the matter gets sorted. Your landlord might be a family friend and a decent bloke, but ultimately he is running a business without the financial ability to do so, and you are the one who is suffering.

Best of luck tonight either way; I hope it works out for you.

Thanks :P The baby has turned me into a soft touch I think, 5 months ago and I'd eat landlords for breakfast!
    I'd be happy to wait for him to fix it if the rent was drastically reduced to reflect having to heat it with portable radiators and doing laundry and showering at my mums. I'm sort of just hoping he either comes down and announces an immediate fix, or he suggests letting us move out of the house himself. I'm too emotional to fisticuff right now :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Perhaps he should go to his mortgage provider with the analysis I made earlier - in effect, losing you as tenants makes a bad situation worse. That's not only from his point of view, but from their point of view also, because he will be unable to service the mortgage at all if you leave.

They might make a deal that enables him to have the boiler replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Do you happen to have any friends who are plumbers / gas fitters who would do the job and let you pay them over the next couple of months with the full rent until paid off. They should be allowed add a little to the price to compensate them for doing it.

Not ideal I know but just a thought.

Strituck wrote: »
    Do you happen to have any friends who are plumbers / gas fitters who would do the job and let you pay them over the next couple of months with the full rent until paid off. They should be allowed add a little to the price to compensate them for doing it.

Not ideal I know but just a thought.

He is the plumber/gas fitter :D And the chimney sweep :D And the carpenter :D And the electrician :D

You see where I am going with this, right? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

What rent are you paying? Surely €2000 is only about two months rent?

Get on to a registered gas engineer, explain the situation and see if he'll do the job for €1000 upfront and €1000 next month when the rent is due again.

• Advertisement

Bepolite wrote: »
    What rent are you paying? Surely €2000 is only about two months rent?

Get on to a registered gas engineer, explain the situation and see if he'll do the job for €1000 upfront and €1000 next month when the rent is due again.

I'm sure the landlord doesn't have €1000 upfront either, and I'm certainly not paying it.

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I'm sure the landlord doesn't have €1000 upfront either, and I'm certainly not paying it.

You pay it instead of the rent.

You pay it instead of the rent.

The rent is paying the mortgage for my landlord so I'm not so sure he will be able to agree to that.

I would have though that there are plenty of plumbers out there who are quiet at the moment and would do the job and let you pay in installments. One months rent up front for the job and the rest the month after etc. Its a fairly big job by the sound of it so it would be worth their while.

We deal with a lot of tradesmen in my job who provide services to us and payment terms are usually nothing up front and payment in 30 days anyway.

Yes it is the landlords responsibility but it does not sound like he is going to do SFA. You might need to take it into your own hands if you are planning on staying there.

The rent is paying the mortgage for my landlord so I'm not so sure he will be able to agree to that.

He doesn't have to. If he won't carry out the repair you can do it yourself and deduct it from the rent. Just what I'd do, you've been given good advice ref moving out so that's the other option.

• Advertisement

He doesn't have to. If he won't carry out the repair you can do it yourself and deduct it from the rent. Just what I'd do, you've been given good advice ref moving out so that's the other option.

It's probably the most practical too, as we plan to move when our lease is up in May. I'm afraid that if we stay here, it will be constantly up to us to contact repairmen and make deals with people and take it out of our rent. It's a lot of farcing about and something I wouldn't need to do if he ran things properly. It's just working out as a sign of worse things to come if we ever need him to do anything else and there is a baby in the house when he starts dragging heels.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

The alternative for him is you leave and he has no rental income and can no longer rent out the house as it doesnt meet standards. I'd say he would be pretty open to a scenario that avoids that and would be likely to try to work with you.

It's probably the most practical too, as we plan to move when our lease is up in May. I'm afraid that if we stay here, it will be constantly up to us to contact repairmen and make deals with people and take it out of our rent. It's a lot of farcing about and something I wouldn't need to do if he ran things properly. It's just working out as a sign of worse things to come if we ever need him to do anything else and there is a baby in the house when he starts dragging heels.

Again I'd just write to him giving him a week to do X then do it and take it out of the rent. I used to have a brilliant LL who whenever anything went wrong, would give us a budget and tell us to get what we wanted. Got a really nice Hob and Oven over the time we were there. IIRC I was going to chuck €50 on top of what he was going to pay for the oven to get a better one (figured it was worth it for the use) and he even paid that.

Sounds like yours isn't really in the same position.

If a tenant of mine wanted to paint the place I'd be throwing money at them as long as it was tasteful... then I HATE painting!

Want a one bet flat in D8 OP? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭gdavis

99 % of boilers are fixable, so if he gets a good rgi/ oftec engineer out ,it may well be a simple and relatively inexpensive fix.you can replace all parts of a boiler!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

You must write to by registered letter as soon as possible. This is unacceptable. He isn't your friend and unfortunately for him he is going to lose money on his investment property. This happens all the time and is not your problem.

Again I'd just write to him giving him a week to do X then do it and take it out of the rent. I used to have a brilliant LL who whenever anything went wrong, would give us a budget and tell us to get what we wanted. Got a really nice Hob and Oven over the time we were there. IIRC I was going to chuck €50 on top of what he was going to pay for the oven to get a better one (figured it was worth it for the use) and he even paid that.

Sounds like yours isn't really in the same position.

If a tenant of mine wanted to paint the place I'd be trowing money at them as long as it was tasteful... then I HATE painting!

Want a one bet flat in D8 OP? :pac:

It was a large, unsavoury family living here before us. Luminous pink walls are now magnolia, with the fireplace wall dark red. We sanded the skirting and re-varnished it, got the furniture steam-cleaned (the cream couches were almost black) and polished the floor. He told us he was really grateful and the place looked fab. We did plan to stay for a while and cheaply paint the whole house, but little things have cropped up that totally put us off. There is a burnt out shed (previous owners set fire to it) and it is FULL of cats. I mean there are at least 5 cats in our garden at any one point. I've asked him over and over and over to get rid of it, but it's still there. We offered to pay for the skip if he supplied the labour, still dragged his heels. It took him two weeks to fix the electric shower, which was leaking into the kitchen. We're still waiting on the rest of the garden to be fenced by him so our dog can take a leak outside without his lead on :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

It was a large, unsavoury family living here before us. Luminous pink walls are now magnolia, with the fireplace wall dark red. We sanded the skirting and re-varnished it, got the furniture steam-cleaned (the cream couches were almost black) and polished the floor. He told us he was really grateful and the place looked fab. We did plan to stay for a while and cheaply paint the whole house, but little things have cropped up that totally put us off. There is a burnt out shed (previous owners set fire to it) and it is FULL of cats. I mean there are at least 5 cats in our garden at any one point. I've asked him over and over and over to get rid of it, but it's still there. We offered to pay for the skip if he supplied the labour, still dragged his heels. It took him two weeks to fix the electric shower, which was leaking into the kitchen. We're still waiting on the rest of the garden to be fenced by him so our dog can take a leak outside without his lead on :o

You honestly need to start treating this as a business deal which it is. If he's friend or you don't want him upset at you fine but in the end you're the one who's going be in trouble.

So why are you surprised he is doing nothing about the boiler. Does indeed sounds like its time to move out of the lazy fookers property.

Daith wrote: »
    You honestly need to start treating this as a business deal which it is. If he's friend or you don't want him upset at you fine but in the end you're the one who's going be in trouble.

I've done up a letter and printed it and am taking it to my estate agent tomorrow when paying the rent, assuming my landlord does not call down tonight as promised to decide what we want to do.
    We've a list of alternatives now to suggest to him without moving immediately. But since it's happening in April/May anyway...

Strituck wrote: »
    So why are you surprised he is doing nothing about the boiler. Does indeed sounds like its time to move out of the lazy fookers property.

I'm not surprised, the whole point of the thread was that I wanted to know if having no central heating was just cause for breaking the lease and moving out. Since I don't think a gammy shed and bad paintwork would cut it :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

I've done up a letter and printed it and am taking it to my estate agent tomorrow when paying the rent, assuming my landlord does not call down tonight as promised to decide what we want to do.
    We've a list of alternatives now to suggest to him without moving immediately. But since it's happening in April/May anyway...

You need the send the letter through registered post.

You are involved in a business relationship, the landlord is not your mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭cintec

drumswan wrote: »
    You need the send the letter through registered post.

You are involved in a business relationship, the landlord is not your mate.

can they not print 2 copies and ask the estate agent to sign 1 of them for there records

• Registered Users Posts: 23,282 ✭✭✭✭ted1

He should have the original deposit locked away. He could use that. The OP should say it to them and then tell him that she'll hold back the last month when she's moving in case he hasn't had a chance to save it up again

ted1 wrote: »
    He should have the original deposit locked away. He could use that. The OP should say it to them and then tell him that she'll hold back the last month when she's moving in case he hasn't had a chance to save it up again

I am the OP :P Original deposit was only €500 in any case!

Case closed anywho, he just arrived down and told us the new boiler will be delivered and installed tomorrow evening. Hopefully he follows through, getting sick of using perfectly good tea-water for the bottles! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Fair play, a happy ending hopefully!

djimi wrote: »
    Fair play, a happy ending hopefully!

Definitely so! I'll not ask where the boiler or the money came from :rolleyes:

If anyone in the North East is mysteriously missing a boiler, they went thatta way :D

Joking, really. Just looking forward to being warm and having dry clothes!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Definitely so! I'll not ask where the boiler or the money came from :rolleyes:

If anyone in the North East is mysteriously missing a boiler, they went thatta way :D

Joking, really. Just looking forward to being warm and having dry clothes!

Shashabear do you not have a line outside or tumble dryer ? I think you have to have somewhere to dry your clothes that is not the radiators! I just read the thread and I think those cats scare me more than no boiler!

Millem wrote: »
    Shashabear do you not have a line outside or tumble dryer ? I think you have to have somewhere to dry your clothes that is not the radiators! I just read the thread and I think those cats scare me more than no boiler!

We do have an outside line, but in fairness it has rained here for hours on end every day for weeks, they'd get wetter outside! We're hoping to buy our own drier in the next week or two. The cats do worry me as well. My dog goes toilet outside and we've had to confine him to one area to try and make sure I'm not picking up the wrong poop :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Don't let yourself be unduly bothered by the cats. They tend to be pretty harmless if you leave them alone, and they bury their poop. They also deter rats and mice from visiting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

We do have an outside line, but in fairness it has rained here for hours on end every day for weeks, they'd get wetter outside! We're hoping to buy our own drier in the next week or two. The cats do worry me as well. My dog goes toilet outside and we've had to confine him to one area to try and make sure I'm not picking up the wrong poop :-/

That's good you have a line, you can't beat a line even if they only get a couple of hours on it for freshness :) dryers are very handy and not too expensive. I am not a cat person so those cats would just scare me! Plus they would drive my dogs mad! Does anyone fees those cats? Or they feral? If so I would try and see if someone or rescue would do that trap neuter release thing!

Advertisement