Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi driver

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

I should have been clearer, I meant that in relation to the more general unrelated men and women not being alone together thing i.e. that there is a basis for it in Islam.

I didn't realise that there would be a difference between social and work type interaction or if it was really forbidden at all, hence my op.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

smcgiff wrote: »
    But, (open to correction) I don't think Islamic religious laws have reached similar fashion proportions.
    Really? I've seen a massive proportion or Hijabs that are worn as fashion items.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Effects wrote: »
    Really? I've seen a massive proportion or Hijabs that are worn as fashion items.

How do you know:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

This is turning into a Women in Islam and Working thread, interesting stuff.

Mohammed's first wife Khadijah was 40 and a successful merchant when she married him, he was 25. Of course he was still just a man then.
    She was also the first person to convert to Islam. Without her support Mohammed would never have been able to grown to the person he is regarded today (imo).

smcgiff wrote: »
    How do you know:confused:
    It's pretty obvious. They come in a huge variation of colours and patterns.

• Advertisement

It's pretty obvious. They come in a huge variation of colours and patterns.

:)

It only makes sense in the context of this thread if you know they are wearing Hijabs for non religious reasons.

Just because they are colourful doesn't take away from them serving a religious function.

They are serving a dual purpose. Same as crosses for christians. It may be a fashion accessory but it's still worn as a symbol of their faith.

It may be a fashion accessory but it's still worn as a symbol of their faith.

It seems we're singing from the same hymn sheet, as it were.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭confusedquark

Moomat wrote: »
    I hailed a taxi in the city late last night and to my surprise it was a lady driver. She was a black lady and wearing a Hijab. As she was wearing a hijab I presume she was a Muslim.
    I was in company and didn't want to pry but it has me curious as to how a lady that is so devote that she wears a hijab contend with all the implications of being a female taxi driver? How does this occupation sit with Muslim beliefs?

I don't think I've ever seen a female taxi driver, never mind a Muslim one.

To give a short answer, once it is out of necessity, and there aren't any alternative employment opportunities available, it is still permissible for a woman to work under such circumstances in Islam. The same could be said of female Muslim doctors, nurses, secretaries etc.

Advertisement