Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grocery Challenge 2014 [Threads Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Kayraa

livinsane wrote: »
    I'm signed up to a survey site called Irish opinions. They email you links to surveys, you complete, your account is credited and when you have a tenner built up, you request a voucher which is posted to your home address. You can choose from Boots, Tesco and two online sites. You earn different amounts per survey you qualify for (could be up to €3 or as low as 75c). I probably get a tenner voucher every two months. Not a lot but I get a buzz spending them and then getting my Boots points on top. Boots definitely have the best customer loyalty program I've experienced.

I use this site too, I love putting my €10 towards my tesco shop especially when I have vouchers!

karen89 wrote: »
    Love this thread just found it while watching extreme couponing on tv, not fair that the usa has so many vouchers/coupons and we dont

I know! I wish we could get more :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Did big shop for this week and spent €60 in Lidl. Got cheap mixed seafood pieces that were about to go out of date and, with the cod that was caught the other night, I made a huge pot of chowder. Have the rest of the weeks meals planned and don't envision having to buy much else for the week. We'll see...

I haven't needed to do shopping again yet, however planning a BIG shop in Aldi for €50 so I get €10 off using the Irish independent voucher. (It's in todays paper for anyone interested)

Have only bought one loaf of bread since the shop last Tuesday so pretty happy this week. Was heading to the shop today to buy green thai curry paste when I remembered that I had frozen a batch of excess sauce from a previous curry...last July. Still tastes lovely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 alliemac

Gonna try this out. We are a family of 2ad2children. Both under 3 so still in nappies. I try do nappies wipes shop for month at start of month and then do week to week shops. I like to have variety of dinners I think this is why I spend so much. So I spent €137 sat in tesco a good few extras like shampoo etc. but only 2 meat products really bad planning so gonna look through presses now and plan for week! Here goes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ae86chic

Since starting this i have brought my week shop to 90€ for 2 adults and2 toddlers and with the tesco using aldi vouchers I have bought 105€ of food and paid 80€ with coupons

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

I'm going to start this challenge too - I want to take the kids away on a cheap UK holiday but still need to make some big savings if I'm going to do it.
    I have a few basics in the cupboards and the freezer is pretty full - so hoping to keep my budget for shopping and leisure at under €100 per week.
    I've taken €100 from the bank and today I did 2 shops - being a BH Monday I scored quite a few things half price - Supavalu €8.64 (Choc brioche rolls 1.39, Chix Thighs -1.50 (markdown), Apples and Oranges - 2 for €2, Roast Chicken ready meal €2.50 - (markdown), 2 rhubarb crumbles €1.25 (markdown) Tesco €13.83 Finest Cottage Pie - 1.75 (markdown) Innocent Smoothie litre €1 (markdown) Turkey meatball Marinara (markdown) 40 cents, Fresh Strawberries €1.99, Blueberries €1.75, 4 pack Yorkie yogurts 87 cents (markdown), Scallions 29 cents, the rest I spent on creme eggs and choc bunnies for the kids.

Total Spent - 22.67
    Remaining - 77.33

Need to do a big meat and veg shop tomorrow - add a loaf and hope that will see me out until Saturday. Kids off school means have to find cheap things to do and keep them occupied - Slieve Blooms tomorrow and park on way home with a picnic.

€31.93 aldi
    €24.78 tesco
    That's my week shop done bar bread and milk monday & Wednesday

I got a €65 for €29.90 this week :D all in Tesco.

• Advertisement

Kayraa wrote: »
    I got a €65 for €29.90 this week :D all in Tesco.

How'd u mean?

This week's big shop was €52 in Lidl. Bought three loaves of bread and two litres of milk for the rest of the week and spent €4 at a farmer's market on duck eggs and rhubarb. Made 12 scones this morn with the rhubarb. I'm trying to have wholesome snacks in the freezer to carry with me whenever I'm out for the day. Making sweet potato waffles tomorrow.

ae86chic wrote: »
    How'd u mean?

I had a tenner off voucher, and had coupons too so my shopping was less than I first thought it would be :)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

Dug a €1.50 disposable bbq out of the shed and spent yesterday in the Slieve Blooms with a pack of sausages - Ridge of Capard and Glenbarrow, absolutely fabulous trails - so well laid out and easy for the kids to do the shorter trails. We took jam jars and the kids came home with tadpoles.
    Spent €4.20 on ice lollies on the way home and €1.58 on a loaf.
    No shopping today.
    €77.33
    €71 55

So far - so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 lisatu

Can I join too? A bit later than the rest of ye but anyhoooo.

I'm feeding 3 adults and 2 kids and could easily spend 100-120 on a big shop and numerous small shops during a week. I may be 10 days to 2 weeks before I go to do a big shop again but the money id have spent in the local smaller shops would add to about the same as they are more expensive and living near them makes it easy to pick up bits I don't need.

Id be hoping not to spend over 100 per week.

So far this week (lets make is Saturday to Saturday for me) Ive spent

75.80 in Aldi (my big shop)
    8.50ish in Centra
    Total 84.30

I have yet to make a meal plan as going to Aldi today was a last minute decision but I think ill only need to buy buttermilk and hand wash for the week. Bread may be needed as we use a lot but if I get the buttermilk ill make some myself.

I'm doing my shop tomorrow, really don't wanna spend more than €30 but I'm not hopeful lol

Groceries this week were €75 in Lidl, €14 in SV, €3.50 in Clon market (duck eggs and olives) and €7 in Midleton market (carrot cake and purple sprouting broccoli) so total of almost €100. We bought a good bit of meat including a free range chicken. I'd like to start buying more at the markets. It will probably increase the overall spending but I'd feel good about it.

So I spent a total of €34 on my shop in Tesco's, not as bad as I thought :)

So ive gone over what I was hoping to spend.

I spent and additional 18 euro in Centra, 8 of which was for my brothers birthday so wont really include that. I also ended up in Aldi again which is rare as they are not in our village and spent 20 euro.

So my total so far is

75.80 in Aldi (my big shop)
    8.50ish in Centra
    10.00 in Centra
    20.00 in Aldi

114.30 Total.

I suppose not having a meal plan didn't help but I did buy loads of fruit and veg so they will last 2 weeks.

I may need coffee and toilet paper :(. Hopefully next week will be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭karen89

Just wondering why you spent so much on a loaf of bread, its about half that in Aldi

• Advertisement

Well farmer's markets block your ears because cherry tomatoes were 49c in Lidl so I bought a slab of them for making marinara sauce and relish. The big shop in Lidl cost €56 plus €6 in SV.

I totted up how much we've spent over the last 5 weeks and it comes to around €358 so we've averaging around €72 per week, which I'm very happy about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I tried to do this privately offline, but kept forgetting some bits and pieces. I still have my credit card so now I buy absolutely all groceries and meat with that, including Aldi and Lidl now, so hopefully I will have a better picture when I get my next bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 pkkil

61.20 this weeks shop in Tesco for 3 people I have a turkey breast for the weekend that I got in Aldi with my 10 euro off voucher a few weeks ago so that will be for the long weekend I also stocked up on dog food and loo paper I will have men in working next week in the house so that will be extra coffee tea and sambos for them I hope to have a 70 euro shop then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

I'm starting this too. My first step is to clear the presses, I have just dumped a load of out of date food. :-( I reckon I still have enough to buy very little. Any suggestions in what to do with 27 tins on Tuna welcome!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 pkkil

Sala wrote: »
    I'm starting this too. My first step is to clear the presses, I have just dumped a load of out of date food. :-( I reckon I still have enough to buy very little. Any suggestions in what to do with 27 tins on Tuna welcome!!

Your local Vincent De Paul might be glad of some of them :) the rest you can send to me we love Tuna Wraps lol

I so dont want to share my shopping so far this week, 1 because it is alot and 2 because I plan on spending more :( . I am stocking up on stuff though and I had no stock pile before starting this.

85 in lidl
    35 in centra
    15 in polish shop

135 in total

I will probably spend about 30-35 in Aldi as I have some meat I want to buy and more milk but the meat should do 2 weeks if not more.

To last weeks shopping, I have to add €22 (SV) bringing the total to €84. We are late doing this weeks big shop but there isn't much we need. I think Im about ready to set a budget again and Im gonna say €75 per week (Tuesday to Tuesday). €8.50 spent already.

Total spend for last week was around €80 - €76 in Lidl, €2.50 in Dunnes and €2 in market. Fiver over budget.

Total spent last week (Saturday to today) is

108 in Aldi
    30 in local centra.

Because of my big spend on the 6th I didnt do a bug shop until Wednesday (14th) so not too bad really. I wont be going shopping until about Wednesday again this week.

Ill have to add up what ive spent the whole month to get a better idea of how if im spending alot or not when its broken down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭PetraMac

This is a great thread. I've got inspired just reading through the posts. I'd love to join in.
    I have to confess until recently I was very undisciplined about grocery shopping. For 2 adults and 4 children, I would have spent per week: around €200 on the big shop, from SV or Tesco, and around €20 - €40 on extras during the week. Now I want to start budgeting properly.
    My first step is going to Lidl tomorrow for the next big shop. I've just done up a list of all the things I can get there. I will have to go to SV for a few things that Lidl don't stock. Budget €150 for seven days.
    Wish me luck!!

Advertisement