Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grocery Challenge 2014 [Threads Merged]

Options
  • 07-01-2014 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭

Grocery expenditure is where a lot of us overspend so this might help people stick to a budget. You set the amount you hope to spend on groceries in the month and then update as you spend. The shame of failing the challenge might help some if us cut back. If you come under budget, try to reduce the amount next month. I'm including non food household groceries in mine. I'll kick it off:

Livinsane - 2 adults, 1 baby - €200 budget

02\01\14 - 27.31(172.69 remaining)
    07\01\14 - 57.27 (115.42r)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Victoria Fortescue

I'm definitely on board for this, should be a good motivator :) I might do mine per week till the end of January though. Since the beginning of the month we've been stock piling special offers. I'll have to sit down and do some maths, try to work out what is realistic for us. 2 adults and 2 children btw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I plucked my budget out of thin air so I could be totally unrealistic but it'll be a sounding board for next month.

livinsane wrote: »
    I plucked my budget out of thin air so I could be totally unrealistic but it'll be a sounding board for next month.

I've been thinking about yours and it seems pretty tight, have you been stock piling nappies and formula?

I'm going to initially try for anything under one hundred per week. You'd die of shock if I told you what tesco used to get from us per week before this month! Tomorrow is shopping day, so we will see how I fare out :)

Poor baby gets nothing but wipes bought for him! We have reusable cloth nappies and he's breastfed.

Poor baby gets nothing but wipes bought for him! We have reusable cloth nappies and he's breastfed.

Ah very thrifty :) will keep you updated on the shop tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

In my household we have 2 adults and 2 kids. I try to keep it under 80e per week. I dont go to tesco/supervalu/dunnes anymore ( except on odd occasions for odd bits) - only Aldi and Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭lashofeye

Great idea
    We are 2 adults and one child(4.5 years) .Normal weekly budget is €90

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭SurferRosa

We are 2 adults and 3 young kids.
    I'm hoping to spend just €80 a week in Lidl + Aldi. Youngest is still in nappies, so hope it's feasible.
    My plan is to do one weekly shop, and only replenish milk, bread and butter throughout the week when they run low. Usually I do manage to spend €60-€80 on the main shop, but when the milk runs low after a few days, I always end up buying more bits and pieces and spend an extra €10-€20 once or twice on top of the main shop weekly. So the aim is to stop that!

So far our January spend is:
    €81.20 in Lidl - milk is low though, so we'll definitely go over that €80 this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ae86chic

2 adults 2 kids both in nappies.
    was 76.23 in tesco this week but had stocked up on nappies wipes and canned goods from xmas.
    hoping to try keep it under 90euro

I'd love to eventually have a week where we don't go to the shop at all. I reckon we could live for several months on the food in our house (tons of meat in the freezer and dried cupboard goods) and if everything goes to plan I'll have a good crop of back garden veg this year.

• Advertisement

I'd love to eventually have a week where we don't go to the shop at all. I reckon we could live for several months on the food in our house (tons of meat in the freezer and dried cupboard goods) and if everything goes to plan I'll have a good crop of back garden veg this year.
    I've a lot of veg over-wintering at the moment, should be able to start eating from the garden again soon. I'm going to start putting stuff in cold frames soon to ensure that we have a continuous supply. I'd love a shop free week too, but we always need to top up on basics like milk etc.

Going to do a stock check for shopping tomorrow, I'll be handing the money over with gritted teeth I'm that determined now :pac:

08\01\14 - 1.40 (114.02r)

10\01\14 - 34.22 (79.80r)

Thought I'd update this properly. Want to spend €400 a month on groceries. As January is a 5 week month, that leaves €80 a week. So far grocery shopping is as follows:

Week1:
    4/1/14: - Lidl main shop - 81.29
    9/1/14: Dunnes top up shop - 17.31 (98.6 for first week so almost €19 over budget!)

Week2:
    12/1/14: Lidl main shop - 87.51

Not doing too great so far, but I did buy a lot of meat in today's shop, so I plan to make that last for at least this week and next week. For the final week of January I plan to buy bare minimum (milk, fruit, veg, bread, youghurt), and use what's in our presses for dinners.. Still optimistic to stay within my €400 limit overall. (186.11 spent so far, 213.89 left)

2 Adults 2 children - €100pw budget

As per my proposed budget post, I'm going Thursday to Thursday for the rest of January, and a test budget of €100pw which I hope to improve on as we go along. I predicted a heavy week this week as I've been stock-piling the basics. I've bought and frozen a lot of meat and veg, and theres loads built up in the corner of my kitchen now. So, I hope to only be buying the bare minimum over the next few weeks, fingers crossed.

09/01 - Lidl - €31.87
    09/01 - Dunnes - €2.79
    10/01 - Aldi - €53.91
    12/01 - Lidl - €4.18

Subtotal = €92.75

Getting near the danger zone now, but don't think I'll need anything more than fresh bread or milk between now and Thursday, and I got loaaaaaaads in Lidl and Aldi to keep us going. Next few weeks should be interesting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ae86chic

Budget 100€ per week for 2 adults 2 toddlers

Week two €118, but I have babies first birthday so have extras I wouldn't need. Hopefully next week ill be under budget. Will only need bread during the week tho

10\01\14 - 34.22 (79.80r)
    15\01\14 - 30 in Lidl (49.80r)
    16\01\14 - 14 in SV (35r)

I totally underestimated what we spend but it would be possible to buy nothing else but bread and milk for the rest of the month and still have three meals a day. We'll see...

SurferRosa, 2 adults, 3 children (1,3,5 years):

Week1:
    9/1/14: Dunnes top up shop - 17.31 (98.6 for first week so almost €19 over budget!)

Week2:

Week 3:
    17/1/14:Local garage - €1
    18/1/14: Super Valu main shop: 60.65

Total: €248
    Remaining: €152

Did really well this week. Managed to stretch our 10 litres of milk (husband and I are drinking less) for the whole week, and didn't need a top up shop.
    Only ended up spending €1 during the week on a bag of sweets, as my son won an award in school.
    Got vouchers from Super Valu in the post - "spend €75 get €15 off". So I planned my shopping list, got total to €75, and took my calculator. Felt a little sad walking around jotting up the numbers, but I'm determined to keep to budget!
    Got to till, total was only €73. So I dashed off and got some herbs, that I had discarded from list earlier. Total: €74.8 - still can't use voucher! So I grabbed a bar of chocolate (after all this money saving I deserve a treat!), and finally got to use voucher and total was just over €60. Lady at till looked a little impatient with me, but still -yay!

My boyfriend keeps sabotaging our budget with his impromptu trips to the shop (and bringing back nice things so i can't complain) and then he throws away his receipts so "about €30" spent over three trips to Lidl/SV.

About €5 remaining out of €200 :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

This is a great idea, but not sure how I will fare as we are a family of adults which means less control over what is eaten. 30 year olds don't usually ask if they can have a banana! :) However I may give it a go offline. I have found the best way to save money on grocery shopping is to go to the supermarket less times. I went to get a tub of cream in Lidl the other day and ended up spending over a tenner, so less shopping trips for me from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 barbie1

Great idea. I have been monitoring spending for about a year now. We are three adults and started with monthly budget allowance of. 300 but by year end had to increase to 350 to make it more realistic.

I buy the special offers and have been regularly buying from the reduced section too. I love a bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Great thread.
    I'll start next Monday. Aldis special offer veg is excellent at the moment

What would you recommend as a budget for single guy?

What would you recommend as a budget for single guy?

Maybe keep your receipts for a week, multiply by 4 and go from there? You could then try to cut down a bit. I'd be thinking €35 a week but I suppose it depends on your diet and facilities (freezer for example).

I've €3.50 left for the month and my boyfriend just handed me a shopping list to add to do my budget is goosed! I suppose €200 was delusional when you live so close to shops. I'm a cheap ass apparently.

Maybe keep your receipts for a week, multiply by 4 and go from there? You could then try to cut down a bit. I'd be thinking €35 a week but I suppose it depends on your diet and facilities (freezer for example).

cooked a chicken stew last night…. cost me less than a fiver for the whole meal… should get three dinners out of it.

cooked a chicken stew last night…. cost me less than a fiver for the whole meal… should get three dinners out of it.

Have you factored in the lovely soup you will make with the lovely stock you will make by using up the carcass/bones of the chicken? :)

I've €3.50 left for the month and my boyfriend just handed me a shopping list to add to do my budget is goosed! I suppose €200 was delusional when you live so close to shops. I'm a cheap ass apparently.

Hes an idiot.... Be worse if you were blowing everything in brown thomas

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭lashofeye

So i only stated this on the 13th Jan (Monday is our shopping day) Budget 90 euro per week .Doing well so far :)

Week 1: 13/1/2014 : Tesco 65.87
    Top up shop (Milk and bread ) 3.73 Total : 69.10
    Saved: 20.90

Week 2 : 20/1/2014 : Tesco 62.25
    Extra fruit and milk Dunnes 4.22 Total : 66.47
    Saved :

So my week is not over yet but i think we will be ok for few days. I am doing well I think. I am planning meals more and using up whats in the house before I shop and buy more. Im being more creative with food looking up receipes too:)

SurferRosa, 2 adults, 3 children (1,3,5 years):

Week1:

Week2:

Week 3:
    17/1/14:Local garage - €1
    18/1/14: Super Valu main shop: 60.65

Week 4:
    24/1/14: Aldi - €61.38
    24/1/14: Tesco- €.95

Total: €310.09
    Remaining: €89.91

Another good week shopping wise. Had my list made out in advance, and did not buy anyting extra. This week have made a conscious decision to cut down on kitchen and toilet roll. We go through so much. So I have brought down a facecloth and towel for wiping my kids, so I don't use so many sheets, and I will use some old rags instead of kitchen towels for wiping the toilet bowls.
    I'm not quite counting the toilet sheets yet, but rather making more effort to not randomly grab a wad when helping kids, and trying to just use what's needed.
    Also trying to find a local Asian shop so that I can buy a large bottle of white vinegar. Hope to make an all purpose cleaner and dishwasher cleaner.
    It's amazing how much you can cut down when you try!

• Advertisement

I don't buy the normal kitchen rolls any more. I go to Buy Lo on Kylemore Road and get the ginormous rolls of blue or white paper, I think it was a pack of six and cost me if I remember correctly €12 or €13. I wrote the date I started using the first one and it lasted me 4 months!! Pretty good value. Don't know if they still have them, but I have seen them on market stalls as well.

Toilet paper is only bought for lavatorial use. I like to get good quality as the lighter papers can be wasteful as more is used. However, I discovered some of the toilet paper from the cheaper supermarkets may seem strong, but is not as flushable/dissolvable, and can be a hazard and bung up the drains.

When it comes to vinegar I go back to Buy Lo and buy a 5 ltr bottle, (yep, 5 ltrs!) it is a fraction of the price of the supermarket and chipper vinegars and lasts for ages. I'm not connected to Buy Lo, I just buy a few items which are the best bargains.

Advertisement