Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 5's : Childhood video games.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I was expecting this thread to be filled with PS2 and XBox titles.

Glad I'm not the only oldie here :D

I used to make games on the C64, then sell them to the local kids. I'd also use the Action Replay cartridge to compress other peoples tape games and re-record them on tapes for them (reducing load times to 20 seconds). And I charged for this service. And of course...I made a copy for myself. Due to this, I had pretty much every game ever made for the C64, along with a floppy disk drive and dot matrix printer.
    In short....I loved the C64! Even after I got an Amiga 600 & 1200, I still played it.

I can't remember every game, but I've fond memories of:
    1. Mayhem in Monsterland.
    2. All the Turrican games.
    3. Bubble Bobble.
    4. Elite.
    5. Stunt Car Racer (a 3d wireframe game on a C64 with a 1mhz processor was a little slow, but...it was 3D!!!)
    6. Gauntlet.
    7. Most of the Dizzy Games.
    8. Secret of Monkey Island.
    9. Ghouls n' Ghosts / Ghost n' Goblins.
    10. Rick Dangerous.

I would still play any of these games today.

Theme Park - I was always that bastard who put the salt content of the Fries stand up as are the price of the drink shops placed nearby.

Any Dizzy game - these were absolutely excellent. Can't imagine how much time I wasted on these.

Frontier: Elite 2 - this game was absolutely mind boggling back then - the Universe was just so expansive and even stands out compared to modern games.

LucasArts Games and specifically the Monkey Island series. The 2nd game was before the advent of walkthroughs Online, so that game took about a year to complete on all skill levels.

Micro-Machines - many a fond memory was created playing a 4-person game of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Greyfox

1. Zelda:a link to the past - the only 100% perfect game, discovering that their was a dark world was one of the greatest moments of my life
    2. Mario allstars – Every time I wasn’t playing this game all I could think of was when will I get to play it again
    3. Mario world – the very definition of gameplay, in 100 years time their’ll still be people playing it
    4. Rock n roll racing - Still the best driving game ever
    5. Donkey kong country

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

kowloon wrote: »
    Hellcats Over The Pacific, MS Flight Sim, F/A 18 Hornet, Red Baron (loved my flight games, would be hard to pick a favorite)

Damn it, I forgot about Aces of the Pacific.
    aces.png

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I appear to be an oldie too...

Elite (C64), Syndicate, Ye Ar Kung Fu, Speedball (Icecreeeeeaaaaaam) and Wizardry are ones that stick out in my mind...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

bomberman - snes & sega
    Lemmings - snes
    super mario all stars - snes
    sonic 1-4 - sega
    age of empires 2 - pc

i have to give a special mention to Theme park world on the ps2 although i was not a child when i enjoyed it none the less, who didn't love those sideshows? pay $400 to play win $200 odds 99% mwahahahahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

From youngest to oldest :p:confused:

1 River Raid 2600
    river_raid.png

2 California Games
    california_games.png

3 Spy Hunter
    spy_hunter.png

4 Commando
    commando.png

5 Pitfall 2
    pitfall_ii__lost_caverns.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

1. Tetris: First game I ever mastered
    2. Sonic the Hedgehog: MegaDrive
    3. Alien Brigade: Atari 7800
    4. Sneakers: Apple II (My first ever video game)
    5. Final Fantasy VII: This one is just for Retro!

dreamers75 wrote: »
    5 Pitfall 2
    pitfall_ii__lost_caverns.png

I frikken hated that game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

More pics, guys! Feed the nostalgia!

For me

Desert Strike
    desert_strike3.png

Powermonger
    Powermonger_1.png

Populous
    molyneux_populous2.jpg

Carrier Command
    carrier_command_7.gif

Ghouls n Ghosts
    super_gng_vc.gif

• Advertisement

Oh my god I forgot

HerzogZwei-Cover.png

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

All C64 and in no particular order (wasn't able to limit it to 5).

Wonderboy:

wonderboy_02.gif

Buggy Boy:

buggy_boy_04.gif

Microprose Soccer:

microprose_soccer_05.gif

Samurai Warrior: The Battles of Usagi Yojimbo:

usagi_yojimbo_04.gif

Target Renegade:

target_renegade_05.gif

Into The Eagle's Nest:

into_the_eagles_nest_03.gif

Hawkeye:

hawkeye_02.gif

There were so many other great games; Turrican 1 & 2, The Last Ninja games, Platoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,323 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Forgot about Populous, used to play that on my cousin's PC. Another great game I remembered: Scorched Earth, anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Doge

My list is in ascending order of each platform...

1. Last Ninja 2 (C64) - 1988
    The innovative puzzler, platformer and beat'em up series.
    Some serious imagination went into this game. Lots of interactivity with your environment, and you could combine inventory items to create weapons.
    Most gorgeous graphics on the C64 and its my all time favourite 8-bit soundtrack!

park_boat1.gif

2. Platoon (C64) - 1987
    Another stunning game with an excellent soundtrack.
    Loved it so much i was the first person to upload videos of it to youtube:

This level was like an early attempt at an FPS, and the atmospheric music really suited the dark tunnels, love the water drop rhythm:

3. Sonic The Hedgehog (Sega Master System) - 1991
    My only memorable game on the platform.

89220-Sonic_The_Hedgehog_(USA,_Europe)-5.png

4. Sega Mega Drive Games
    I cant name just one as i love the games equally. These first 2 are my favourite megadrive soundtracks:

Srtreets Of Rage

Revenge of Shinobi

Sonic 2, Desert Strike, Jungle Strike, Flashback, Road Rash 3, Prince of Persia, Micro Machines etc.

Zero Tolerance gets a special mention as its the first FPS i ever played and had unique features:

5. Duke Nukem 3D (PC) 1996
    The game that redefined the FPS genre thanks to the mighty Build Engine.
    Tons of interactivity, one liners, weapons, inventory, references and titties!
    This is the game i spent the most amount of time playing thanks to a very strong modding community which is still active. You could swim, jetpack, blow holes in walls and manholes, crawl through vents and the game literally brought you to space and back, the possibilities seemed endless!

Soundtrack was excellent also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭bassy

No.1 pacland
    With he's magic red boots what a great game.

Surprised it hasn't been available for the modern consoles :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Doge

By the way, if any of you are feeling nostalgic, head on over to the Arcade & Retro subforum.

There's a lovely community there, and we'd welcome more numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Paulie Gualtieri

1. Columns Atari 2600

2. Mario kart Nintendo

3. Roadrash ps1

4. Streets of Rage Sega megadrive {I think]

5.Streetfighter 2 Turbo SNES

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

EA Hockey - Megadrive
    MicroMachines V2 - Megadrive (First 8 player game I ever remember....the cartridge had 2 ports, and joypads could be shared by 2 people allowing for up to 8)
    Aladdin or Mario Kart - Snes
    Metal Gear Solid - PS1
    Goldeneye - N64

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

1. Jetpac (ZX Spectrum)
    2. Tetris (Gameboy)
    3. Zelda Links Awakening (Gameboy)
    4. Golden Axe (Arcade)
    5. Gargoyle's Quest (Gameboy)

So many games, but I've focused on the one's that I played the hell out of when I had the most time to play (during my school years).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Going to stick to 10 years old and younger for this...

1. Zelda - NES
    2. Mario 3 - NES
    3. Street Fighter 2 - SNES
    4. Zelda - SNES
    5. Super Metroid - SNES

Honorable mentions:
    Space Quest 3, Police Quest 2 - PC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

Sonic 1 (sega mega drive)
    Road Rash 2 (mega drve)
    Crash 3 (ps1)
    Tomb Raider 2 (ps1)
    World cup 90' (mega drive)

Not in any order. Played world cup 90' for many hours in the morning when i was 6 or 7. Some good memories :) road rash was great fun, could whack guys off their bikes using chains! Or just kick them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭whackball

Very difficult to do, so many memories so i am goin to split into Top 5 Arcade games that took all my 10p`s and top 5 home computer/console games that I played when I was 15 years old or younger.

Arcade (in no particular order)

* Double Dragon - the game that started my addiction when on a summer trip to Bray for the day
    * Shinobi - spent many a 10p in the local chippy on this
    * World Cup Italia 90 - **** game in retrospect but took alot of money from me
    * Ridge Racer - got me into racing games and you could sit in it !!!!
    * Streetfighter 2 - what more is there to say, had that just one more go factor

Home computer/console games

* sensible soccer - megadrive/amiga
    * the last ninja trilogy - C64
    * super mario world - SNES
    * international superstar soccer - SNES
    * streetfighter 2 - SNES

not the best games ever but took up alot of my time as a kid

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I was expecting this thread to be filled with PS2 and XBox titles.

Glad I'm not the only oldie here :D

I used to make games on the C64, then sell them to the local kids. I'd also use the Action Replay cartridge to compress other peoples tape games and re-record them on tapes for them (reducing load times to 20 seconds). And I charged for this service. And of course...I made a copy for myself. Due to this, I had pretty much every game ever made for the C64, along with a floppy disk drive and dot matrix printer.
    In short....I loved the C64! Even after I got an Amiga 600 & 1200, I still played it.

I can't remember every game, but I've fond memories of:
    1. Mayhem in Monsterland.
    2. All the Turrican games.
    3. Bubble Bobble.
    4. Elite.
    5. Stunt Car Racer (a 3d wireframe game on a C64 with a 1mhz processor was a little slow, but...it was 3D!!!)
    6. Gauntlet.
    7. Most of the Dizzy Games.
    8. Secret of Monkey Island.
    9. Ghouls n' Ghosts / Ghost n' Goblins.
    10. Rick Dangerous.

I would still play any of these games today.

I had the cart aswell and got a disc drive eventually, tons of games with it for about 20 quid on buyandsell. A cousin of mine used to make those tapes. They were hit and miss though, often had to adjust the tape player screws IIRC! Think the last game I got was mayhem in monsterland. must try and play that again on a pc. Super little game from the creatures creators.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Hmm,
    Best 5 childhood home games is tough.

1- a company called Realtime made a great couple of clones of arcade hits. One of them was 3D Starstrike. This was a copy of Star Wars from the arcades. In a lot of ways it was even better, with a great trench section, but it was a lot better than the official conversion of the arcade game.

2- Quazatron, by Hewson Consultants, a sequel to the great Paradroid on C64 but this was on the Spectrum, isometric 3d and loads of challenge , played it to the end. Excellent.

3- Uridium, Hewson again. I'd like to say the incredible technical achievement of the Speccy version but the sheer brilliance of the C64 original won't let me. Real arcade gaming at home.

4- Manic Miner, Bug Byte/Software Projects. I prefer this over Jet Set Willy, its a more accomplishable task to finish, though I never did! Speccy again.

5- Trashman, I spent too much time playing this game on the Spectrum. A strange game featuring you as a bin man and a street of megalomaniacs and vicious dogs. A lot more fun than it sounds.

Arcade games of my youth,

1- Xybots, by Atari, in a double bill with Blasteroids

2- Stunrunner, also be Atari

3- RType, pure brilliance

4- Outrun

5- Asteroids, I can now play it ony Vectrex, which is nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Call of Duty:MW

:pac: Joke, I'm old enough to walk.

Double dragon will stick with me forever. Got it with my Sega along with sonic 1. Me and the brother bet each other stupid while playing it every time, especially at the last boss battle. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Born in 89 so probably a little younger than some of your games but sure Im allowed participate ok :(. Had a strange taste in games as a kid, great games but not ones you would associate with a youngster.

1: Broken Sword 1&2
    Could easily separate these 2 and have them as 1 and 2 in my list of 5 absolutely amazing games. Wasted my childhood on these, my dad is fairly into games but he never really liked Broken Sword so I don't really know where it came from but I am glad it did. One of the most amazing openings to any game I have ever played.

2. International Track & Field
    Probably could beat Broken Sword on the sheer hours I put into this was unbeatable in the house and when mates and relatives came to visit so much so their was an argument about did I have a turbo controller or was I cheating cause I barely moved my thumb off the O button. Anyone who has ever played this game knows exactly how I was holding the controller :P Sheer brilliance at the time.
    _-International-Track-and-Field-PlayStation-_.jpg

3. Metal Gear Solid
    Don't really need to explain just perfection. Running around the snow so the soldier would follow your footsteps before giving up or when you get to the end boss and your getting the big speech and you can move your gun and go to shoot but Snake goes "Ah I can't do it... I can't do it" ah heartbreaking.
    Also psycho mantis reading your memory card and saying what game you have been playing lately ah to a little 9/10 year old that was mind boggling.
    easter-eggs-psycho-mantis.jpg

4. Resident Evil
    Don't think I ever played it for more than 10/15 mins due to being scared out of my wits, still proclaim this to be one of my favourite games behind Broken Sword. Great start to a game and the bit that freaked everyone out was truly class.
    zombie-myuncher.jpg

5. Fade to Black
    TBH i don't really remember tonnes of this game I just remember lasers and spending ages on it and you start in a prison cell, being overwhelmed by how tricky it was as well.
    f2bgles_3.png

Well that's it hope you enjoyed that as much as I did. Honorable mentions to Where in the world is Carmen Sandiago, Tomb Raider and Lemmings (Great game).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

A few more.

Flashback
    Flashback_-_1995_-_U.S._Gold_Ltd..jpg

Road Rash
    road-rash_1s.jpg

Cannon Fodder
    Cannon_Fodder_-_1994_-_Virgin_Games,_Ltd..jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

In no particular order

Kirby's Adventure (NES)

250px-NES_Kirbys_Adventure.png

Probably my favourite game on the NES and the first game i ever beat. It was also the first game i played that you could save your game.

2. Pokemon Red/Blue (GB)

Pokemon_Red_Version_GBC_ScreenShot4.gif

Loved this game. Played it for hours and owned both Red and Blue so could trade between them (using my sisters game boy)

Ristar (Sega MD)

ristar.jpg

This was on of my favourite games on the Mega Drive. Loved playig this game and i always felt it was a bit underrated.

Spyro the Dragon (PS1)

293694-spyro.jpg

This was the first game i got for the PS1. Got the game for my birthday and spent hours playing it. Even faked being sick the next day so i could stay home and play some more. First game i completed 100% as well.

FF7 (PS1)

FFVIIbattlexample.jpg

Played through this loads of times when i was young. Probably my favorite PS1 game.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I dont read anyones posts unless it has pics.

Just saying :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

A few more.

Flashback
    Flashback_-_1995_-_U.S._Gold_Ltd..jpg

Road Rash
    road-rash_1s.jpg

Cannon Fodder
    Cannon_Fodder_-_1994_-_Virgin_Games,_Ltd..jpg

Nice choices, I was a big fan of these but they don't count as I was all growed up when they were released.
    I would prefer Road Rash 2 though, and Road Rash on the 3DO is the best of the series.

Advertisement