Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kung Fury

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

Which they probably did? One is a feature length movie that cost $3million to make and had a full professional production team behind it, the other was made by a misfit bunch who asked for help of anyone with any editing/production skills through a fundraiser page on a budget of $600,000 that they raised from the generosity of others.

It's got nothing to do with production value or budget costs - it's down to the effort put in to researching the source material and the quality of the script. I think the use of CGI in KF made the creators lazier because they didn't have to work on the script when they could just throw out a bizarre over the top cgi effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

I think a fair analogy would be that where Black Dynamite is like a good episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000 or Rifftrax, Kung Fury is like a bunch of drunk teenage boys who think they're funny heckling a movie, trying hard to be heard over each other, yelling the first thing that comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Greyjoy wrote: »
    It's got nothing to do with production value or budget costs - it's down to the effort put in to researching the source material and the quality of the script. I think the use of CGI in KF made the creators lazier because they didn't have to work on the script when they could just throw out a bizarre over the top cgi effect.
    A larger budget means more resources to put into research and writing. Again, it's not particularly fair or reasonable to compare experienced filmmakers with inexperienced filmmakers. Especially when one was making a film for money and the other for fun. I'm kind of surprised and the hate towards this. It's just a bit of silly fun. Some guys decided to have a laugh by making a silly little short film. That's it. It's easier to ignore than any of the big budget nonsense that gets flung at us almost daily.

humanji wrote: »
    That's it. It's easier to ignore than any of the big budget nonsense that gets flung at us almost daily.

Tell that to my Facebook feed, I'm sick to death of the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Kev W wrote: »
    So it's okay that it's rubbish because it was made cheaply by amateurs?

Subjective to say the very least... but yes! Because i along with many others don't see it as "rubbish" but for what it is, a bunch of inexperienced people having some fun probably using this to learn the trade and use the skills they did pick up making this to do better things in the future.

• Advertisement

Subjective to say the very least... but yes! Because i along with many others don't see it as "rubbish" but for what it is, a bunch of inexperienced people having some fun probably using this to learn the trade and use the skills they did pick up making this to do better things in the future.

Except with all the praise being heaped on them for this, what motivation could they have for trying harder next time?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Kev W wrote:
    Tell that to my Facebook feed, I'm sick to death of the thing.
    Ha, yeah I forgot about that. I think I got lucky that not too many people I know posted about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

That's it in a nutshell.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Really enjoyed it. 80's cheese...to the max!

Although any longer than 30min I think it would have started dragging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's on Netflix now, and it's all kinds of ape**** awesomeness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Icaras wrote: »
    Really enjoyed it. 80's cheese...to the max!

Although any longer than 30min I think it would have started dragging.
    Started dragging after 3 minutes for me.

Intentionally trying to make a "so bad it's good" film is a fool's errand tbh. The thing that makes a lot of trash cinema so lovable and fascinating is how sincere the people behind it were in trying to make something great. The Room for instance isn't an amazing movie because of how incompetently it was made, it's because of what a personal, bizarre and unique vision it is on top of all that. Kung Fury just felt way too detached and calculated to be great in that way for me.

Kind of similar to what Kermode describes here:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I watched this with a few friends over the weekend and i have to admit, i was grinning ear to ear. it is like a fantasy story 10 year old me would be playing out in the back garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

That's the thing, you just have to enjoy it without thinking about irony and that sort of stuff and you can't help but grin from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

It was very good, was not meant to be a film from the 80s but 80s culture inspired, perfect length for what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Nody wrote: »
    I do know it's a bit of necro but the movie is out and it's everything you could have hoped for and then some!

Accidentally rewatched this. Still hilarious! :)

Advertisement