Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kung Fury

Options
  • 07-01-2014 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭

These guys have raised nearly half a million from a Kickstarter fund to produce this OTT 80's throwback action comedy they plan to release online for free...
    I for one can't wait!

For more information on the project go here: Kung Fury Kickstarter Project

I know it's completely made on green screen but for a project that spawned from nothing i think it looks like a really fun B-movie!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I do know it's a bit of necro but the movie is out and it's everything you could have hoped for and then some!

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Gadge

Watched it last night. It's really brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Ha watched it last night too. It falls into the "So **** it's brilliant" category if you ask me! Really enjoyed it for what it is and for what these guys did coming frm a kickstarter fund to give the fingers to hollywood and do something fun. it's a shame they didn't hit their second target of 1mil so they could make a full feature length film but hey, half an hour of pure 80's nostalgia and an awesome soundtrack wasn't bad either!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

holy crap, that was amazing..!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Triceracop :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

That was incredible.

"What year is this?"
    "It's the viking age"
    "That explains the laser raptor"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

have you all seen the David Hasselhof Title track release video? Best Video ever!

Just been revoked!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

It reminded me of McGruber a little bit actually. Need to watch McGruber again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Kenjataimu wrote: »
    Holy sh*t! I assumed that was all CGI.

It's a brilliantly put together bit of nonsense. It really does bring back memories of McGruber and films like that. I'd love if they'd were picked up to make a TV show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

I have to admit that I just don't get the praise that KF is receiving. To me it reeks of "trying too hard". It's an example of what can work in a 2 minute trailer gets boring when you repeat it over & over again in a full feature. It comes across as being made by creators who didn't actually see the films they're parodying but instead just watched a bunch of clips on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Never would of guessed who played Hitler

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Greyjoy wrote: »
    I have to admit that I just don't get the praise that KF is receiving. To me it reeks of "trying too hard". It's an example of what can work in a 2 minute trailer gets boring when you repeat it over & over again in a full feature. It comes across as being made by creators who didn't actually see the films they're parodying but instead just watched a bunch of clips on youtube.

The 3 minute 'trailer' was brilliant, a perfect little nugget of 80s p*sstaking . But I can't sit through the 30 minute version, it just feels like an endless stream of punchlines - 80s wackiness just because hey, weren't the 80s so naff and cheesy? And that's coming from a guy who jumps at any kickstarter game with pixel-art, or loves a bit of retro-synth in his playlist. Kung Fury is just too much...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,169 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It comes across as an endless stream of "THAT'S THE JOKE" to me, so self consciously cheesy and 'wacky'. Just the latest in a long line of satires that set out to be wink wink nudge nudge 'awful', missing the bizarre sincerity of their inspirations in the process (Garth Marenghi's Darkplace excepted, now and forever).

Maybe I'm just fed up of the endless and honestly tired minor variations on robot / zombie / future / alternate history Nazis out there in pop culture land :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Made it three minutes in. It lost me when as a parody of 80's action one of the first things it presented was a CGI robot.

Remember all the CGI robots in the '80s?

Because I bloody don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

What the hell is this shyte? lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It comes across as an endless stream of "THAT'S THE JOKE" to me, so self consciously cheesy and 'wacky'. Just the latest in a long line of satires that set out to be wink wink nudge nudge 'awful', missing the bizarre sincerity of their inspirations in the process (Garth Marenghi's Darkplace excepted, now and forever).

Yeah; for me Darkplace is the gold standard on how to parody something from that era; both in terms of properly recreating the style and production of the period, as well as maintaining that hardened sincerity those 'bad' shows and films had. None of those Z-movies ever set out to be awful, they believed in what they were making, no matter how shoddy the end result often was.

And no mention of Darkplace is complete without a clip of course :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

there's a Kung Fury Game now

Is the point not that it's laughing at the 80's, but it's laughing at 80's Japanese video games made for the US market? So to then make a game of it seems an odd choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

It was a bit of let down. A couple of funny moments. Black Dynamite it is not.

• Advertisement

azzeretti wrote: »
    It was a bit of let down. A couple of funny moments. Black Dynamite it is not.

Completely different to Black Dynamite, they are not even in the same category!?

One is a direct piss take of blaxploitation movies specifically. Kung Fury is simply a budget made crack at reviving a bit of 80's nostalgia. From the nu wave synth soundtrack featured in nearly every cheesy 80's flick you think of, the clothes, the sound effects and the attempts at one liners ALL poking fun at the typical 80's action flick.

YES this was made entirely on a green screen with CGI which is far removed from the 80's but get over it, they stated that from the get go on their Kickstarter fundraiser page. This isn't the 80's and they weren't making a movie in the 80's they were poking fun at it. I'm not a fan of green screen in traditional feature length films at all but in fairness if they had had the technology back then you can be guaranteed that 80's films such Ghostbusters, Star Wars and Back To the Future would have been rampant with it as movies of today are.

I followed these guys over the two years it took to put this together and think fair play to them, a low budget made bit of craic.

It's basically one joke repeated ad nauseam. It's to 80's cinema what The Darkness are to 70's rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

Completely different to Black Dynamite, they are not even in the same category!?

One is a direct piss take of blaxploitation movies specifically. Kung Fury is simply a budget made crack at reviving a bit of 80's nostalgia. From the nu wave synth soundtrack featured in nearly every cheesy 80's flick you think of, the clothes, the sound effects and the attempts at one liners ALL poking fun at the typical 80's action flick.

I'm not sure how you can argue that the two films are not in the same category.They're both comedies attempting to parody/recreate a specific genre of film (70s blaxploitation vs 80s action). it's just that the era of film differs in each case. Black Dynamite is packed with references to various blaxploitation films - you get the sense that they actually put effort into making it and watched hours upon hours of research. With Kung Fury it comes across like they just wrote down a bunch of random 80s cliches on a whiteboard.

Greyjoy wrote: »
    I'm not sure how you can argue that the two films are not in the same category.They're both comedies attempting to parody/recreate a specific genre of film (70s blaxploitation vs 80s action). it's just that the era of film differs in each case. Black Dynamite is packed with references to various blaxploitation films - you get the sense that they actually put effort into making it and watched hours upon hours of research. With Kung Fury it comes across like they just wrote down a bunch of random 80s cliches on a whiteboard.

Which they probably did? One is a feature length movie that cost $3million to make and had a full professional production team behind it, the other was made by a misfit bunch who asked for help of anyone with any editing/production skills through a fundraiser page on a budget of $600,000 that they raised from the generosity of others.

Which they probably did? One is a feature length movie that cost $3million to make and had a full professional production team behind it, the other was made by a misfit bunch who asked for help of anyone with any editing/production skills through a fundraiser page on a budget of $600,000 that they raised from the generosity of others.

So it's okay that it's rubbish because it was made cheaply by amateurs?

I think the point is that a feature film with a large budget and a large crew that's worked in the industry for a great many years and a short film with a tiny budget and a crew with a lot less experience than the feature, aren't going to be of the same quality. It would be very unusual if they were.

humanji wrote: »
    I think the point is that a feature film with a large budget and a large crew that's worked in the industry for a great many years and a short film with a tiny budget and a crew with a lot less experience than the feature, aren't going to be of the same quality. It would be very unusual if they were.

I've seen some pretty terrific short films made with significantly less money than Kung Fury and some pretty diabolically bad big-budget films. I'm not going to pat someone on the back for making a rubbish, unfunny film just because they did it cheaply.

You're not being asked to pat anyone on the back. You're not even being asked to like it. It was just being pointed out that comparing those two films is pointless as they're not in the same league.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

"Yeah, that's my bicep"

Genius movie and plot!

• Advertisement

Given that Kung Fury is 30 minutes long and Black Dynamite is 90 minutes long that's actually not that great of a budget disparity.

Advertisement