Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The next Galaxy (S5/F)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

I'm due an upgrage in May, might go for this!

Any pics???

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I do not want a waterproof phone. No need for it and I guarantee it will not be waterproof.

Sounds more like you don't want a phone that claims to be waterproof but isn't :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

That's another point to prove its not just batteries that get old, components do as well. I've a laptop running Windows 8.1 and it is gone slow as hell.
    No they don't, that's software (other than battery). Windows slows over time as you install software that launches at startup. turn them off and run a cleaner and you'll be back to speed again. Worst case scenario a re-install.
    It's the hard ware. The laptop is about 9 years old.
    Nonsense, re-install and it will be as fast as it was originally.

Nonsense yourself. A 9 year old laptop running the latest Windows release is inevitably going to be sluggish to say the least. 9 years ago was before Vista was even released, and seeing as that was before Android was ever released, there's not even a directly analogous comparison of a smartphone running the KitKat! This is not necessarily to say that the hardware itself degrades over time, but it simply begins to lag the latest and greatest software.

Anyway, to get back to the topic, I have a Galasy S3, and will not even be considering this phone, save for perhaps if there's a Play Store edition whereby I can legitimately never be afflicted with Touchwiz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

cython wrote: »
    Nonsense yourself. A 9 year old laptop running the latest Windows release is inevitably going to be sluggish to say the least. 9 years ago was before Vista was even released, and seeing as that was before Android was ever released, there's not even a directly analogous comparison of a smartphone running the KitKat! This is not necessarily to say that the hardware itself degrades over time, but it simply begins to lag the latest and greatest software.

Anyway, to get back to the topic, I have a Galasy S3, and will not even be considering this phone, save for perhaps if there's a Play Store edition whereby I can legitimately never be afflicted with Touchwiz.

My mistake, I completely missed the 9 years old bit. Madness to put Windows 8 on a 9 year old laptop. My point was that hardware doesn't slow over time, software does. It will be as fast as it ever was. Hard drives don't slow over time, they get fragmented but a full wipe will return them to full speed (unless they are broken and not seeking correctly). The battery is the only component that loses power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Currently a HTC One user, had a Galaxy S4 for a while and it didn't compare, and don't think I'd ever again buy a phone which wasn't premium build quality, if the new Galaxy is brushed aluminium then I'd certainly be interested but would bin touchwiz immediately and download Aviate launcher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I don't get all the hate for Touchwiz. I can understand not liking the Samsung apps, but Touchwiz for me is one of the reasons why I stick with Samsung. I had the HTC One in my hand alongside the S4 before I went for the Samsung and it was things like swiping a contact right or left to call/text that made the difference. I installed CM10 on my GS2 and immediately missed some of the Touchwiz features!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

Leave the spec as is and get a 3-4 day battery in there instead.

I agreed. The half to 1 day is ridicilous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Arrow.

SuprSi wrote: »
    I don't get all the hate for Touchwiz. I can understand not liking the Samsung apps, but Touchwiz for me is one of the reasons why I stick with Samsung. I had the HTC One in my hand alongside the S4 before I went for the Samsung and it was things like swiping a contact right or left to call/text that made the difference. I installed CM10 on my GS2 and immediately missed some of the Touchwiz features!

Horses and all that..

...I could live with Touchwiz if they'd just get rid of the bloatware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Arrow. wrote: »
    Horses and all that..

...I could live with Touchwiz if they'd just get rid of the bloatware.

Root and delete, or a custom ROM.

Omega was quite good up until recently when I started getting numerous crashes/reboots during the day.

They also fix a few of the other annoyances like how the volume raises while getting a phone call and adding the ability to mute the camera shutter.

Anyway, back to the S5. I too would agree on the lack of a premium feel. I've had every Galaxy S since the i9000 and I'm tired of cheap plastic on a 500 euro phone. Less battery wasting software tweaks too, I don't know anyone who uses smart pause or smart scroll on their S4's. A dedicated camera button would be nice, but we all know that won't happen. The option to pick Google Now over S-Voice without manually removing it and setting double click to G.N with 3rd party apps - never happen though.
    I'd also really like wireless charging without needed and extra bulky back cover. Built in please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Arrow.

Root and delete, or a custom ROM.

Yeah I did all that but....

..There was always some issues (no matter how minor) with custom ROMs I used and besides, I'm just not interested in them.

I did root the GS4, but still could not delete. I did 'freeze' them though.

You shouldn't have to go through the 'bother' of rooting and deleting them.

Much prefer and iPhone or my current phone - Nexus for this very reason. Also, for all the other reasons you mentioned! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sohappy

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sohappy

+1

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Some features of touchwiz are great but it makes the phone more sluggish and it looks like a poor man's version of gingerbread.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

Its sluggish, looks dated and amateurish. Needs a massive revamp IMO. Do that and improve dramatically on their Amoled screens and I'd certainly be interested. I don't have any brand loyalties! I also think at this price point, they really should be using premium shell components. Their flagship shouldn't really feel the same as another Samsung phone half the price IMO.

I had a Samsung for years and Touchwiz pales in comparison to other launchers like Nova and especially the best of them all Aviate.

Also, good luck to Samsung if they are to charge up to €800 for a premium Galaxy S5 or F series with aluminum or metal casing, that is outrageous money to be charging, it'll bomb if they do charge that much!!

They should take a leaf out of HTC's book and have sensible enough pricing for a premium product like the HTC One

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I must be in a minority as I do not mind plastic phones. I don't think Samsung phones are cheap looking. Also if Samsung new phone is aluminium with it have a sealed battery which will be a first for Samsung.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I agree, the material it's made of makes no difference to me as I immediately put a case on the thing anyway.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I must be in a minority as I do not mind plastic phones. I don't think Samsung phones are cheap looking. Also if Samsung new phone is aluminium with it have a sealed battery which will be a first for Samsung.

I don't mind plastic but the glossy plastic that Samsung use is annoying. Makes it more likely you'll drop the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

I don't mind plastic but the glossy plastic that Samsung use is annoying. Makes it more likely you'll drop the phone.

The first galaxy s was a slippy fecker with rounded smooth edges

It never use to bother me that much but once you've owned a premium quality phone like HTC One you could never go back to plastic

Hope so. I also heard they might even go up to 20MP camera

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

leemaree wrote: »
    Hope so. I also heard they might even go up to 20MP camera

Maybe. I hope the big battery is true. It will definitely need it.

Maybe. I hope the big battery is true. It will definitely need it.

And I hope when you charge it, the charge will last more than half a day or a day?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

I'm with you, I've an s3 and herself an s4 and I prefer the s3... I don't think the s3 or the s4 are cheap looking at all!

I wonder will these specs b right;

http://www.samsunggalaxys5.nl/specificaties/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭nicebutdim

I moved to 3 recently on a SIM only deal.... I asked about the S5 and they said it wasn't even slated for this year... we could be waiting a while.... or maybe they just haven't been informed.... either way.... :eek:

Advertisement