Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The next Galaxy (S5/F)

Options
  • 06-01-2014 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭

Are we allowed to start talking about it now? Lots of rumours doing the rounds now, though no photos of the shell or anything yet, which considering it's due to launch next month is surprising.

Lots of talk of an all-metal case, though this may be reserved for the rumoured ultra premium Galaxy F.
    • 3 - 4Gb RAM
    • 64-bit CPU (6 - 8 cores)
    • 32Gb memory as standard
    • 2K screen (2560 x 1440)
    • Iris scanner
    • 16MP camera
    • Android 4.4

Obviously this will all hit the battery so I'm sure there'll be improvements in that too.

Any interest in this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Spaniard14

Everything that makes the smartphone faster is great BUT most of you would only use the smartphone to make phone calls, sms, whatsapp and viber. Is it necessary? I consider myself a proficient smartphone user and my 2 year old smartphone still gives me all I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

SuprSi wrote: »
    Are we allowed to start talking about it now? Lots of rumours doing the rounds now, though no photos of the shell or anything yet, which considering it's due to launch next month is surprising.

Lots of talk of an all-metal case, though this may be reserved for the rumoured ultra premium Galaxy F.
    • 3 - 4Gb RAM
    • 64-bit CPU (6 - 8 cores)
    • 32Gb memory as standard
    • 2K screen (2560 x 1440)
    • Iris scanner
    • 16MP camera
    • Android 4.4

Obviously this will all hit the battery so I'm sure there'll be improvements in that too.

Any interest in this?

I agree with all of them except the iris scanner, maybe they will maybe they won't. Who knows we will just have to wait and see.

The 2k screen is over kill for such a small screen. I have the note 2 and I find that crystal clear and it's 720p on a 5.5 inch screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Nice spec but it might need a bit more RAM and a few more cores just to run the next version of touchwhiz :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Spaniard14 wrote: »
    Everything that makes the smartphone faster is great BUT most of you would only use the smartphone to make phone calls, sms, whatsapp and viber. Is it necessary? I consider myself a proficient smartphone user and my 2 year old smartphone still gives me all I need.

You're seriously under using your smartphone ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Will be interesting to see how prominent Google Now is compared to S Voice and how other Google products are hidden.
    A 2k screen resolution does seam like an overkill. What’s the resulting DPI on that screen? Can't see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Leave the spec as is and get a 3-4 day battery in there instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

That all, you're not really proficient in that case. I have thousands of uses for mine, it's replaced my camera, alarm clock, calendar, books, magazines, newspapers, mp3 player, radio, handheld game console, gps, calculator and more

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

That spec without the usual Touchwiz rubbish over it would be a nice phone. But as Touchwiz is present I wouldn't be remotely interested.

That will never happen. I'm with Samsung and having a battery last the day of heavy usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Wont the Iris scanner just go the same way face unlock did and no one uses it?

• Advertisement

Venom wrote: »
    Wont the Iris scanner just go the same way face unlock did and no one uses it?

I stopped using that face unlock feature shortly after it came out. I was thinking I look like some muppet holding my phone up in the air as if I was taking a selfie.

That all, you're not really proficient in that case. I have thousands of uses for mine, it's replaced my camera, alarm clock, calendar, books, magazines, newspapers, mp3 player, radio, handheld game console, gps, calculator and more

Ok, I agree, but most of those apps don't really need a huge amount of resources, apart from the games.
    Smartphone cameras have improved a lot during the last few years but It's almost impossible to get the same quality that a cheap compact camera (120€). If you want to get quality pictures, you need some space for the different lenses and thats not possible in a thin smartphone.

So yes, they can replace plenty of gadgets and it's awesome to have them all together but the specific devices (GPS, Camera, Calculator, Ebook Reader...) normally have a better performance.

Ok, I agree, but most of those apps don't really need a huge amount of resources, apart from the games.
    Smartphone cameras have improved a lot during the last few years but It's almost impossible to get the same quality that a cheap compact camera (120€). If you want to get quality pictures, you need some space for the different lenses and thats not possible in a thin smartphone.

So yes, they can replace plenty of gadgets and it's awesome to have them all together but the specific devices (GPS, Camera, Calculator, Ebook Reader...) normally have a better performance.

I want better performance, it's not fast enough until my brain can't keep up

I want better performance, it's not fast enough until my brain can't keep up

I know what you mean but there are many things involved.
    1- The Hardware
    2- The Operative System (Yeah, that one that sometimes go crazy and restart by itself :D)
    3- How the apps are coded
    4- Other running processes

If you have a good machine, everything will go smooth but there are apps that wont go smooth because of the coding.

And dont forget, Android is an OS designed to run in plenty of different devices and it's not a "Taylored" OS like iOS. I have to say that I am not an iOS fan but their phones have average components but a good performance (And fckn expensive prices).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

I know what you mean but there are many things involved.
    1- The Hardware
    2- The Operative System (Yeah, that one that sometimes go crazy and restart by itself :D)
    3- How the apps are coded
    4- Other running processes

If you have a good machine, everything will go smooth but there are apps that wont go smooth because of the coding.

And dont forget, Android is an OS designed to run in plenty of different devices and it's not a "Taylored" OS like iOS. I have to say that I am not an iOS fan but their phones have average components but a good performance (And fckn expensive prices).

All of which is constantly evolving. My old SGS3 running Cyanogen feels slow when compared to my Nexus 5.

All of which is constantly evolving. My old SGS3 running Cyanogen feels slow when compared to my Nexus 5.

That's another point to prove its not just batteries that get old, components do as well. I've a laptop running Windows 8.1 and it is gone slow as hell.

That's another point to prove its not just batteries that get old, components do as well. I've a laptop running Windows 8.1 and it is gone slow as hell.

No they don't, that's software (other than battery). Windows slows over time as you install software that launches at startup. turn them off and run a cleaner and you'll be back to speed again. Worst case scenario a re-install.

No they don't, that's software (other than battery). Windows slows over time as you install software that launches at startup. turn them off and run a cleaner and you'll be back to speed again. Worst case scenario a re-install.

It's the hard ware. The laptop is about 9 years old.

It's the hard ware. The laptop is about 9 years old.

Nonsense, re-install and it will be as fast as it was originally.

• Advertisement

Nonsense, re-install and it will be as fast as it was originally.

Well, I can't agree completely. There are some mechanical parts that decrease their performance as they are used. One of them are the hard drives.

If you check the voltages of a computer power source, you can see how voltages vary. When they are new, there are minimal variations and when you have been using it for several years, they vary much more.

Well, I can't agree completely. There are some mechanical parts that decrease their performance as they are used. One of them are the hard drives.

If you check the voltages of a computer power source, you can see how voltages vary. When they are new, there are minimal variations and when you have been using it for several years, they vary much more.

A hard drive should not physically slow down as it ages - slower speed is normally the result of file fragmentation rather than any issue with the drive itself. However certain types of drive errors can result in it taking longer for the drive to stabilize the heads over a track after seeking.

It's a myth to think PCs slow down because their hardware components wear out.
    http://www.iolo.com/resources/articles/the-top-5-myths-about-pc-slowdown/

This is completely off topic btw

Yeah big off topic, I think all the mechanical parts decrease their performance, it's like a car.
    And yes I have to say that some chipsets decrease their performance too due to malfunction.

Computers and their pixies! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

As long as it's waterproof. Otherwise I'll be leaning towards the whatever Sony end up upgrading the Z1 to or else the Z1 itself. I used a few of the software tweaks on touchwiz and the pedometer for about 3 or 4 months and then didn't bother with any of them. Was on CM for awhile but the battery life wasn't up the scratch and I pretty much the only thing I appreciate about the Samsung ROM is the camera.

As long as it's waterproof.

I do not want a waterproof phone. No need for it and I guarantee it will not be waterproof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Arrow.

Whooah there!!

A smartphone cannot replace a Nintendo 3DS!!!!! :p

Interested to see what Samsung bring out, but after my last experience with Touchwiz (GS4) I won't be going near another Samsung device. Awful overlay, just awful. Don't get me started on the Samsung apps...

Arrow. wrote: »
    Whooah there!!

A smartphone cannot replace a Nintendo 3DS!!!!! :p

Interested to see what Samsung bring out, but after my last experience with Touchwiz (GS4) I won't be going near another Samsung device. Awful overlay, just awful. Don't get me started on the Samsung apps...

They are supposedly changing/updating touchwiz, they already have on the new tablets they announced.

They are supposedly changing/updating touchwiz, they already have on the new tablets they announced.

They'll just add more crap

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

1000000% agree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭opus

Advertisement