Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The next Galaxy (S5/F)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭medic087

sim is definitely 4g enabled as i changed it again today. i put in my friends meteor sim which connects to meteors 4g network no problem at all. Not sure where to go from here as it doesnt seem to be a hardware issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

medic087 wrote: »
    sim is definitely 4g enabled as i changed it again today. i put in my friends meteor sim which connects to meteors 4g network no problem at all. Not sure where to go from here as it doesnt seem to be a hardware issue.

It can take a day or two to change over on Vodafone. I got a new SIM and it took a while to make the switch. Hold tight until tomorrow and see if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭medic087

Still no sign of 4g on three though settings are correct and I am positioned in areas which have 4-5 bars of 4g coverage. Im assuming this isnt a hardware issue if i can access 4g on meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

You got a new sim card and transferred your number?
    That's what I had to do to get it to work. 3 gave me a sim card identical to my old one with a different number. I then got my number transferred to the new sim card. Will probably cost ya 10 squid for the sim card in a store.

Clearly it's not a phone settings or hardware issue. It's network related so 3 need to resolve it for you. Maybe it's not part of your original contract either but I doubt that's it. Three aren't stingy. Speeds are nice btw. 30mb download in limerick and 15-25 in Dublin. Ping around 20 ms too so pages load fast as a pc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭south

Hi guys

I bought a sim free s5 from handtec in uk. Im on billpay with three but the phone is not picking up 4g at all ? im in the centre of dublin so definitely in areas with stable 4g coverage. Im hoping its a network issue and not a problem with the phone . I rang three today and basically they dont want to know as its not a three provided handset. Thanks for any advice. Much appreciated.

I have the same problem with an s4 with 3. It won't connect to the 4g network even though the option is there.
    I was on to three and they told me that I'd have to bring the phone to a three store and that they would send it away to get it flashed with new firmware as mine was factory unlocked. They said I'd have to pay for this service but they didn't say how much out how long it would take so I left it off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Frogurt!

Strange that Three would need to put their firmware on it work. That's what they mean when they say 'new'. Phones should be able (and allowed) to pick up 4g regardless once it carries the feature.

This thread was well hidden it's been so long since it was posted in! I'm back using an S5 the last few days. The battery life is average enough, not bad but nothing overly impressive. I noticed the Android system is contributing to this.

Screenshot_2014-08-29-14-13-14_zps96az6xmg.png

Anyone have any ideas on how to resolve it?

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

This thread was well hidden it's been so long since it was posted in! I'm back using an S5 the last few days. The battery life is average enough, not bad but nothing overly impressive. I noticed the Android system is contributing to this.

Screenshot_2014-08-29-14-13-14_zps96az6xmg.png

Anyone have any ideas on how to resolve it?
    Google better battery stats and download it from xda foruns
    Shows partial wakelocks

Looks like I'll need to root it for it to work. Think I'll have to live with it as I don't intend on keeping the phone too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Runs very smoothly too, well worth flashing if you're thinking about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭D16TURBO

54kroc wrote: »
    Runs very smoothly too, well worth flashing if you're thinking about it.

Any battery improvements noticed? If its not as buggy as kitkat I'm all for it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

D16TURBO wrote: »
    Any battery improvements noticed? If its not as buggy as kitkat I'm all for it. :)

I'll keep any eye on it, Lollipop is a definite improvement on the S5 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Lollipop now available via KIES. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Lollipop now available via KIES. :)

Only for certain carriers. Not there for O2 / Meteor / Three. Only Voda. Not sure about NETFREE.

Polish lollipop works fine on Irish units? Full calls / text / LTE?

Mines bought from Meteor and I got the update?

it's out for the UK also btw. SamMobile
    RangeR wrote: »
    Only for certain carriers. Not there for O2 / Meteor / Three. Only Voda. Not sure about NETFREE.

Mines bought from Meteor and I got the update?

it's out for the UK also btw. SamMobile

Yup. I saw that article a few days ago. However SamMobile firmware database only contains a Voda version. They're usually quick to update.

As I've rooted and modded mine, I have to rely on third party. I'll keep checking SM.

Well I've had to charge the battery twice since updating yesterday and it's now at 15% again. FFS.
    I would normally get near 2 days on good usage, so I'm pretty pissed off now. So much for lollipop being easier on the battery.

I've done all the usual bits, cleared cache, turned of animation etc. I will see if the battery settles over the next few days, otherwise I'll go back to 4.4.2 Google and Samsung can go and shíte. I've seen the same thing happen on the S1 up to the S5 for each major update. When will I learn :(

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MFdaveIreland

Hi guys, i just noticed a bit of discussion about s5 battery life. I was literally going to write a new thread but was as handy to out it in here.

Im just giving my opinion on the s5 battery life, i can only say its superb. I had a htc one x and the battery was ridiculously bad, needed charging midday etc.

As i type my battery had completed 2d 5h 30m 28s without charge, and is 29%!!! photos, bit of wifi usage, texts and phone calls in there too

Ive only had this phone a week, its my 1st samsung and im well pleased with it. hoping this is the start of decent batteries in smart phones!!

• Advertisement

I could get 3+ days out of the battery on 4.4.2 but with hardly any usage.

2d 5h+ is great but can you tell us your "screen on time" under your battery settings?

no probs, .

Screen time on-2h 29m 10s,
    Wifi been on for -2d 7h 56m 25s
    voice calls- time on - 1h 5m 8s

I have the brightness set at auto,
    and the screen timeout/ lock at 5 seconds.

Im quite impressed with it if im honest. @25% currently, might last out the day .

+
    also taken 21 photographs-

O2 Ireland Lollipop now available on SF. Put it on my phone a few hours ago. Looks nice. Except for having the O2 [and Ultimate Rugby] apps that you can't remove without rooting.

Always wondered why the networks think we need or want these apps [besides allegedly getting paid for placement...].

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I'm not liking Chrome on the S5. No more seeing the Google search with recent tabs. O2 have it hijacked which is really annoying. Any solution to it?

Edit: Found the option in settings for the browser to get back tab switching and take out the homepage

Battery life is sooooooooooo much better after upgrading to LP. On kitkat, I would have DailyRoads Voyager running while driving. If I was at 50% battery starting my journey [charging], I'd be around 50% at the end of my journey.

Last night, I left work at 90% battery remaining. DailyRoads Voyager running, charging. After 10 or 20 minutes, it was fully charged.

This morning, I get into the car while battery is at 80%. Again, DailyRoads Voyager running. BAttery was fully charged by the time I got to work.

That's a huge difference for me. Can't 100% say it's the change from KK to LP as I was using KK AllianceRom rather than stock. Even still.

I was just coming on this morning to give my thoughts.

Battery life has taken a nose dive. I was getting 2 days out of the phone, now I'm getting barely the day on same usage.
    This is being reported across a plethora of devices updated to 5.0, so it's not just my S5. Two updates have already been released 5.0.1/2 n Nexus devices and 3 on the way. I wiped the cache and no difference. I refuse to wipe the phone - I shouldn't have to do this.

They removed "silent" mode. There's only sound or vibrate. They removed the volume controls from the power button. You have to unlock your phone now to change the volume. Wtf is this about? It means more screen on time just to change the volume.

Overall the phone is not as smooth as before. What's with all the animation BS all over the shop? That got turned off straight away.

Btw, there's a flappy bird alternative easter egg built in if anyone is interested in playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Got this at the weekend (Voda S5). Not impressed tbh, battery life wasn't hectic before the update, now its erratic and generally worse My battery has generally gone to sh*y since buying the thing in September tbh, may have to invest in a new battery.

I don't like how the notifications now work either, you can have them just open there for the world to see them on the lock screen or you can set them to say "content hidden". This helps no one out I think as before when the phone lit up on getting a notification, you could see briefly who the message was from. Now there' no happy medium, it tells all, or nothing at all pretty much

As was mentioned by ProjectMouse, removing the silence/vibrate options from the power button is purely regressive and helps no one. What the funk Samsung!

As well, S Health seems to have stopped working for me 80% of the time. I liked how the phone used to count my steps on a daily basis(No, I don't care if this was ever even accurate) but now that's completely gone.

The gallery is also slower to load photo's it would appear. Samsung firmware has always had issues here, but they were better with 4.4 on the S5

I'm struggling of absolutely anything good to say about the update really

lads im currently on andriod 4.4.2, is this prior to the above problems? if so, il be turning updates off, if you can .

lads im currently on andriod 4.4.2, is this prior to the above problems? if so, il be turning updates off, if you can .

It won't auto update. I don't know of ANY Android phone that auto updates the OS.

• Advertisement

Do you recommend i stay on current OS then. Literally only bought the phone a week ago, very pleased with it and the exceptional battery life, but i dont want it to end up in all of the above problems.

Advertisement