Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours and on street parking

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

If the house next door has a driveway that doesn't accommodate a car then it is hardly harsh for them to expect reasonable use of the space directly outside their house, regardless of the legal viewpoint? Maybe I'm on my own with this one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

They can park legally anywhere they like. They just can't stop anyone else from doing the same thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

djimi wrote: »
    Why so? Im not suggesting that he come down in full uniform and read the riot act, but if he were to come out and have a word (after making it known what he does for a living) then maybe she might be more inclined to believe the word of a Garda over the word of the OP?

The Garda should keep out of it. Even when off duty he/she is liable to be made subject of a complaint if they are involved in a Garda related matter.

Fight your own battles

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

foggy_lad wrote: »
    The woman is possibly sick with worry about their invalided relative and does not see the situation rationally?

That doesn't excuse her bullying attitude

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Aye Bosun

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    The Garda should keep out of it. Even when off duty he/she is liable to be made subject of a complaint if they are involved in a Garda related matter.

Fight your own battles

Eh, only mentioned the Garda in my op because he had confirmed the road was for public parking..never asked him to get involved!

I am fighting my own battle, just trying to do it nicely for harmony's sake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Doop

tell her u've been drinking and will move the car when you are sober (ie going to work the next day)
    repeat ad infinitum :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 Irish Lady

hard when u have a problem with neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

bohsfan wrote: »
    If the house next door has a driveway that doesn't accommodate a car then it is hardly harsh for them to expect reasonable use of the space directly outside their house, regardless of the legal viewpoint? Maybe I'm on my own with this one!

Most people in that situation would hope to be able to park on the road outside their house. They can't "expect" it though. They most certainly can't go hammering on their neighbours door at 10:30 at night demanding cars be moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

suggest they widen their driveway. tell her you can't control who parks where on a public road. if the parking space is occupied I assume your flatmate parks elsewhere, suggest nicely that she do the same. tell her you cant control where your flatmate parks - blame the flatmate. he won't be living with you forever, he surely won't care if the neighbour hates him.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

Had a similar situation, someone visiting one of my housemates parked car outside neighbors house for a weekend, they went drinking and it wasn't moved for 2 days.

Neighbor called in 11pm Sunday night to complain, told me he would hold me personally responsible if his kids ran out on road and got hit by a car. Told him he should teach his kids rules of the road and I don't control where the world parks. Cue all the threats under the sun, make my life a misery, have the guards up blah, blah blah... He tried to tell me he owned the spot outside the house, and that its my responsibility to make sure no-one parked there. At this point, I told him I was going to bed and shut door.

Bat sh1t crazy..

Now he parks outside in the spot all weekend and wife's car in driveway (fits both cars). Had the wing mirror clipped last weekend. Karma

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

Ahhh ppl are funny sometimes . Years ago when I had a tennant he would park in front of my lawn on the road, leaving me room to get into the driveway. Our neighbour had 2 cars and parked the second one in front of my tennants. This worked out fine.
    From time to time I would have visitors and if the space in from of my house was free they would park there, sometimes they would infringe on the slightly on the neighbours 'spot' accidently as the road curves. Well it used to drive the neighbour nutz , shouting and roarin , I would always calmy acceed to her wishes , I dont want to be fighting with anyone over stupid stuff....

years pass ....

So Im still in the house on my own, for about 2 yrs, and only 1 car , so the road space is always free unless there is a visitor. The neighbours kid grew up and they bought him a car , they have 3 cars now. Guess where he parks it :-)

Now it doesnt bother me, however I did notice that my neighbour has never been more friendly to me, overtly, Feels like Im almost part of their family, she calls me by my first name, invites me in for tea etc etc... It then crossed my mind what would have happened if I suddenly had 2/3 cars @ my house again ....

people are funny

Advertisement