Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours and on street parking

Options
  • 06-01-2014 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

Just looking for peoples opinion on this, I’ll bullet point to make it easier

• Me, owner occupier of house, with 2 tenants.
    • 3 cars in my house, 1 in driveway and 2 on road
    • Next door neighbor also owners, in advance stages lives with adult daughter, they have no cars but very narrow driveway, wouldn’t fit a modern car.
    • Get on well with neighbors, idle chit chat in driveway when we pass, annual Christmas card exchange, has my number in case of emergency etc..
    • Both house have own driveway and road is public with no restrictions on parking..as confirmed by a guard (who is my house mate)

Here’s the issue
    • Christmas eve morning I parked my car on the road outside their house for about 10 mins as I was quickly passing to grab something
    • Next door neighbor's daughter calls in (this daughter doesn’t live in the house) and asked me to move the car as she was bring someone sick into the house and it would make life easier etc..
    • No problem moved the car, wished them a Happy Xmas, all good.
    • Last night at 10.30pm, doorbell starts ringing and ringing and ringing…it was clear the house was asleep, all lights off etc.
    • Answer the door to the daughter (again not the one that lives there) quite aggressive this time, demanding that my house mates car be moved.
    • I pointed out to her that it’s a public road and there is no claim to parking anywhere on the street but I would ask my sleeping house mate to move the car to avoid an hassle and maintain good relations between the houses.

Now there was plenty of room for this women to park her car outside the driveway, bring the sick person in and move the car again without banging on my door on Sunday night when clearly everyone was in bed. I don’t want to fall out with my neighbor, it’s not in my nature to have arguments but at the same time I won’t be walked all over either and I definitely don’t take kindly to be shouted out. Especially as this women does not even reside in the house, neither does the sick person being brought into the house.

I was only having a great chat to the owner yesterday morning, she’s a lovely lady and I reckon would be mortified if she knew this had happened. What do you guys think I should do from here? I want to go softly softly but also get my point across that they don’t have a right to demand cars be moved from outside their house..at the end of the day it could just of easily been a complete randomer’s car parked there, as is often the case outside my house!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Littlelulu13

Aye Bosun wrote: »
    Just looking for peoples opinion on this, I’ll bullet point to make it easier • Me, owner occupier of house, with 2 tenants. • 3 cars in my house, 1 in driveway and 2 on road • Next door neighbor also owners, in advance stages lives with adult daughter, they have no cars but very narrow driveway, wouldn’t fit a modern car. • Get on well with neighbors, idle chit chat in driveway when we pass, annual Christmas card exchange, has my number in case of emergency etc.. • Both house have own driveway and road is public with no restrictions on parking..as confirmed by a guard (who is my house mate) Here’s the issue • Christmas eve morning I parked my car on the road outside their house for about 10 mins as I was quickly passing to grab something • Next door neighbor daughter calls in (this daughter doesn’t live in the house) and asked me to move the car as she was bring someone sick into the house and it would make life easier etc.. • No problem moved the car, wished them a Happy Xmas, all good. • Last night at 10.30pm, doorbell starts ringing and ringing and ringing…it was clear the house was asleep, all lights off etc. • Answer the door to the daughter (again not the one that lives there) quite aggressive this time, demanding that my house mates car be moved. • I pointed out to her that it’s a public road and there is no claim to parking anywhere on the street but I would ask my sleeping house mate to move the car to avoid an hassle and maintain good relations between the houses. Now there was plenty of room for this women to park her car outside the driveway, bring the sick person in and move the car again without banging on my door on Sunday night when clearly everyone was in bed. I don’t want to fall out with my neighbor, it’s not in my nature to have arguments but at the same time I won’t be walked all over either and I definitely don’t take kindly to be shouted out. Especially as this women does not even reside in the house, neither does the sick person being brought into the house. I was only having a great chat to the owner the yesterday morning, she’s a lovely lady and I reckon would be mortified if she knew this had happened. What do you guys think I should do from here? I want to go softly softly but also get my point across that they don’t have a right to demand cars be moved from outside their house..at the end of the day it could just of easily been a complete randomer’s car parked there, as is often the case outside my house!

If it were me I would say to the neighbour that you get along with and actually lives there that you were so sorry for the inconvenience etc etc (whether you mean it or not). They might be completely unaware and might tell the non-resident to give up. Its best to keep things positive for everyones sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If a person is that unreasonable, I don't think they are going to see reason.

Its only happened twice. See if it continues before doing any more about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,270 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Unless your blocking that drive then its fair game

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If it happens again then maybe get your Garda housemate to come out and have a word? Im all for playing nice and obviously you dont want to fall out with the neighbour over this, but perhaps a more "official" chat from your housemate to the daughter might make her realise that parking on a public road is first come first served and she has no claim to the space just because it might lie outside the house she is in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

djimi wrote: »
    If it happens again then maybe get your Garda housemate to come out and have a word?

I imagine the Garda should probably stay out of it seems as though he lives there.

• Advertisement

MugMugs wrote: »
    I imagine the Garda should probably stay out of it seems as though he lives there.

Why so? Im not suggesting that he come down in full uniform and read the riot act, but if he were to come out and have a word (after making it known what he does for a living) then maybe she might be more inclined to believe the word of a Garda over the word of the OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Why so? Im not suggesting that he come down in full uniform and read the riot act, but if he were to come out and have a word (after making it known what he does for a living) then maybe she might be more inclined to believe the word of a Garda over the word of the OP?

I suppose it's the members own call but I can't see him being favourable to this.

Could be seen as some sort of intimidation tactic.

You could just say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

could it be that this woman complaining is not very good at operating a car ? Ive been asked to move out of parking spaces before because people thought they needed a 2-3 parking space run-up to parking their car ?

in this case its her problem, not yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

We have a similar problem in reverse. Any time my sister in law stays she considers the spot outside our house as hers, and causes a flap when it's not available. Thankfully she doesn't know who owns what car, but she has shooed someone out of the spot in the past. There's no talking to her...

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭VONSHIRACH

Nobody owns the parking spot outside their house on the public road. Common sense suggests that everyone parks outside their own gaff where practical. If next door had a car then it would be reasonable that you let them park outside. However you can't expect to leave the spot vacant 24/7 to accomodate an occasional visitor. If there was somebody with a disability living in the house they could have a disabled parking design painted outside by the council, but that is not the case here? Is the sick person just visiting? What if the sister wanted to park an articulated lorry there and asked you to move your vehicles, would you oblige her?!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Getting a gard involved purely to intimidate somebody in a domestic situation where no law is being broken is not the way to go and I'd report them immediately.

If intimidation is not intended, then what the hell does him being a gard have to do with anything if no law is being broken?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

You'd be hard pushed to find somebody who has lived in shared accommodation that hasn't had on street parking problems. Obviously you want to avoid conflict where possible, but people can get very pissy over this and don't seem to understand they have no right to claim the spot right outside theirs or anybody else's house. Accommodate them where possible (like you have done) but if they persist there's not much you can do besides firmly explain the situation and why they're being unreasonable. Then ignore them, if they start to get vindictive then you've got problems. I've seen people leaving rocks under tires etc. Angry retired people with nothing better to do with their day than this sort of carry on. It becomes more hassle than its worth at that point, even though you're doing nothing wrong. If people have two cars and want the spot outside their house for one of theirs then I think it's fair enough you let them have it. I've had issues with neighbours who didn't want anyone parking outside their house for no apparent reason. And issues with all residents who thought parking at the side of the road was dangerous (if you had any problems avoiding parked cars in this estate then you shouldn't have been driving in the first place).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 dingy2

Nip it in the bud straight away, the daughter needs to know how you feel also talk to the owner of the house and get her to have a talk with her daughter, this could easily develop into a feud ....caused by the daughter...you and your neighbour could end up falling out and not talking....over someone who doesn't live in the house

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

As stated above, no one owns the space on the road. Guy across from me always has cars for sale, (wouldn't touch them, pure bangers). He used to have up to 11.
    Asked me one day if he could park in the space.
    Told him he could as I didn't own it, but not as a car park, and I would rather he show some respect as no one ever parks in front of his place. (no room).

He never does and we get on grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

is the neighbours daughter called in again id just say no to her request to move the car point out she or the next door neighbor don't own it and leave it at that. They are unlikely to be reasonable anyway if they are banging at your door at 10.30 at night with all the lights off so molly coddlying them is pointless.

Say it as it is and put an end to it once and for all. Id suggest you mention it in a friendly way to the next door neighbor just to make sure relations aren't damaged. Chances are they are oblivious to the whole thing.

MugMugs wrote: »
    I suppose it's the members own call but I can't see him being favourable to this.

Could be seen as some sort of intimidation tactic.

Yeah perhaps youre right. I didnt really mean it like that; I just thought that maybe if this woman is being unreasonable then perhaps the word of a Garda might go a bit further to convincing her that she is not in the right.

I have a feeling no matter what you do they won't be happy.I wonder would avoiding the issue but indirectly might work better. Tell them the owner is out of the house (Out for the night) and didn't leave the keys. Give them his number. Or say no problem, but take 10 mins to find the keys. Or just say no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

If it happens again, you could offer to give them your mobile number and, if she texts you in advance, you'll try to make sure to leave the space free.

Make it clear, however, that you'd be doing this as a favour to her and are under no obligation to do so.

Might be the easiest way to avoid bad relations if she's only going to be there occasionally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The woman is possibly sick with worry about their invalided relative and does not see the situation rationally?

• Advertisement

Odd time to be moving sick people around, in the cold at night, visiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,270 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If it happens again, you could offer to give them your mobile number and, if she texts you in advance, you'll try to make sure to leave the space free.

Make it clear, however, that you'd be doing this as a favour to her and are under no obligation to do so.

Might be the easiest way to avoid bad relations if she's only going to be there occasionally.

Do not do this. this would make the Op the daughters Bitch answering as her beckoning call.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

foggy_lad wrote: »
    The woman is possibly sick with worry about their invalided relative and does not see the situation rationally?
    So what! Just because somebody is emotional doesn't mean everybody bends around them. If somebody having movement problems doesn't mean they are dying that moment.
    Being irrational from upset is not an excuse unless there is imminent danger.

Much more likely this is somebody feeling entitled and if it is from upset they are still in the belief they are entitled. They aren't

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Aye Bosun

Op here..thanks for all the replies

Plenty of food for thought. I think my approach at this stage is not to make a big deal about it by calling in to the owner to discuss, but leave it until I'm out gardening or something when I have my usual chat over the wall with her and ask how sick friend/relative is and mention casually that the daughter had called in late at night to ask for the car to be moved.

I really believe when the owner finds out she'll be horrified I've been woken at that hour of night. She knows I work early in the morning and I'm on call for one of emergency services 24/7. I swear to god I though one of the neighbors had taken a turn for the worst when the doorbell went as they all know mine and house professions and we have been turned to in times of need before by them.

I'll keep you guys posted if more comes of it..but thanks again, just wanted to make sure I wasn't being unreasonable and from your response I don't think I was. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭d9oiu2wk07blr5

Advise that neighbour that if she wants that space kept clear for her own use, so that she can bring a sick person in to her house, it's open to her to contact the local council with a view to getting that space designated a disabled parking spot. Otherwise, it's a public road and once tenants are not parked illegally, they're quite entitled to park outside her house.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Aye Bosun wrote: »
    Especially as this women does not even reside in the house, neither does the sick person being brought into the house.
    Next time she pops over and uses the sick person excuse, wait around, and see if the sick person exists. I'm thinking they're pulling the heart strings to ensure cooperation.

Advise that neighbour that if she wants that space kept clear for her own use, so that she can bring a sick person in to her house, it's open to her to contact the local council with a view to getting that space designated a disabled parking spot. Otherwise, it's a public road and once tenants are not parked illegally, they're quite entitled to park outside her house.

Im assuming that even if they were to do this, there would be nothing to stop anyone else with a disabled badge from using the space?

This is a great idea! I'll be using this if my first approach does not work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭d9oiu2wk07blr5

Im assuming that even if they were to do this, there would be nothing to stop anyone else with a disabled badge from using the space?

Yes, presuming there's another registered badge holder living or visiting the road that the OP is living on. The point is that the OP is giving her an option in the nicest possible way, and if the person is physically impaired to a degree that they have difficulty walking in to a house from two to three doors up, then it's open to that neighbour to get that space specially designated. If the OP's neighbour doesn't apply to get the spot outside their house specially designated, then any reasonable person would be asking why not....presuming that they meet the qualifying conditions in the first place. Is there any chance that the OP can talk to the elderly couple since they're the owner occupiers who'd have to make the application?

• Advertisement

Is there any chance that the OP can talk to the elderly couple since they're the owner occupiers who'd have to make the application?

I'm going to go with the soft approach first and just mention the daughter called in late at night as I really do believe she'd be mad as hell to know I was disturbed so late on a Sunday.

If it persists tho, I'll be mentioning getting a designated space for the house.

Want to keep the whole thing civil if possible as I have to live there for a long time coming.

Advertisement