Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WJ Kavanagh

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It is implied in their statement.

It's not really though. The thing that's implied is that the running of the business was affecting their other ventures.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It very well could be that the strain of a second pub was hurting profits in both as well as having to to do whatever that brown paper bag project was. As I asid, I found it surprising because of how busy it always was, but I can certainly see that it could be money in that location.

EDIT: I see that project is them making their own beers?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

EDIT: I see that project is them making their own beers?
    Yeah, some quality beers too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I would hazard a guess that WJK wasn't sufficiently profitable to justify the continued human effort and capital investment for them to continue, especially if there was a rent increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Well, the key is the BPBP part of their original statement. For one thing, they bought a brewery kit and immediately realised it was going to be too small for their needs so they shelled out for another one and put the first one on the market. I imagine that some of the strain might have been as a result but that's just speculation on my part.

As long as they can live with their decision to close and thankfully it has opened again so assuming the new owners keep up the good work then I see it as a win win for all involved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Saruman wrote: »

As long as they can live with their decision to close

lol, i'm sure they can

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

I think the place was doing fine and the sale of the brewing equip wasn't a problem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Saruman wrote: »
    Well, the key is the BPBP part of their original statement. For one thing, they bought a brewery kit and immediately realised it was going to be too small for their needs so they shelled out for another one and put the first one on the market. I imagine that some of the strain might have been as a result but that's just speculation on my part.

Poor planning strikes again then, it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

A lot of the speculation here is wide of the mark.

Brockagh wrote: »
    A lot of the speculation here is wide of the mark.

Would you care to expand upon this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭MILF

WJ Kavanagh is back open under new management.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

yeah but are the food and drinks anywhere dear as good, anybody know?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I've only been in once since it's reopened, and it was for lunch. Food is still very good, still a pretty good craft beer selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Price of a pint still extortionate?

Slattsy wrote: »

Extortionate? I don't recall that ever being the case, except for high abv special imports which are expensive everywhere. Perhaps not quite as cheap as some other craft beer pubs but certainly not the most expensive.

Slattsy wrote: »

The cask stuff did all go up to €6 at one point before the closure. That was disappointing. It has never had any deals of any kind, as far as I can recall, like most of the other craft beer places. Perhaps that why you thought it was more expensive.

I went there a couple of months ago and found it to be very similar, just with a more limited selection of beers. It has kind of dropped off my radar since it reopened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Food is much the same as before. 16 euro hamburgers and the like. Is nice but as before is overpriced for what it is.

Drinks selection isn't as good as it used to be. They've a decent range still but the taps never change any more, always the same 8 beers. Plenty of variety in bottles.

I would never have thought their food was overpriced, never had that burger. It's better than most restaurants in dublin.

I'll stick with mulligans i think.

I was in tonight. There are now two hand pumps installed. One was active and had the lovely Galway Hooker stout on. It was in great condition.
    I had the fantastic pork belly lolly pops and the bangers & mash. No complaints about the cost or quality of the food.
    They also had Adnam's RyePA on tap. Don't what the cost of that was as I didn't pay (someone else got the bill).

Advertisement