Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WJ Kavanagh

Options
  • 05-01-2014 11:06pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Just thought I'd tip my hat to WJ Kavanagh's, which is closing today. By far my favourite pub in Dublin and almost unique for its range of cask beers. In time I will switch to L Mulligan Grocer but I will mourn the loss of WJ all the same. Very disappointing for the craft scene.

I saw some suggestion that the staff was being kept on so hopefully they will return with a new location.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Really out of the blue too, must be devastating for the staff.

I loved the place, sound staff who really cared about the beer and food. Always a friendly face.

First time we went there was a Sunday evening, we were peckish but not starving and asked if they'd make us up a cheese board kind of thing. Wasn't on the menu, but they did it anyway, and I'll never forget that hospitality.

Very sad news indeed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Wow, didn't see that coming, I wonder what caused it...
    Hopefully they are just moving or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

Such sad news. Really great pub - had been planning a wonderful st Patricks day there away from the craziness.

Though hardly surprising unfortunately. Having past the pub most weekday evenings from its opening I often wondered how it was still open.

Not only wonderful cask collection but great interesting gin collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Yeah I saw the announcement earlier on Facebook. Disappointing that it's closing, always liked the place. On the wrong side of the city for me but always tried to get there for a few pints and some grub whenever I could.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

What I was just in there a few days ago and two weeks ago and it was amazing, as always. Great food, great drinks, great staff. :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

A sign of things to come maybe?

Are craft only pubs sustainable when you consider the current economic climate and the price of some of the stuff?

Or just in a part of the city that wouldn't be seen as popular when you consider the clientele associated with craft pubs.

Bit of both I reckon.

Slattsy wrote: »

Are craft only pubs sustainable when you consider the current economic climate and the price of some of the stuff?

Or just in a part of the city that wouldn't be seen as popular when you consider the clientele associated with craft pubs.

Bit of both I reckon.

Nah, I'd say it was purely down to location.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Nah, I'd say it was purely down to location.

Mulligan's would be close enough to myself and Stoneybatter wouldn't be considered a nice area but it's always busy.
    Certainly not during the week though. The food keeps it ticking over.

Pubs outside the city are struggling big time. And one by one they'll close. This is the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I liked it but Mulligans was is easier to get to for me so kinda stuck to Mulligans.

Shame as staff were great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Some of the busiest pubs in town are craft pubs.
    Wishful thinking from publicans of run of the mill bars if you ask me. ;)

• Advertisement

Seaneh wrote: »
    Some of the busiest pubs in town are craft pubs.
    Wishful thinking from publicans of run of the mill bars if you ask me. ;)

Every half decent pub is busy on a Saturday night in town.
    Whether it be your Against the Grains or McDaids. Dublin City is a gold mine unless you run a kip!

Mulligan's would be close enough to myself and Stoneybatter wouldn't be considered a nice area but it's always busy.
    Certainly not during the week though. The food keeps it ticking over.

Pubs outside the city are struggling big time. And one by one they'll close. This is the first.

Mulligans is also essentially on the LUAS line. Plus it's more central.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Are craft only pubs sustainable when you consider the current economic climate and the price of some of the stuff.

I don't think so. There are so many factors at play, with location perhaps being the most obvious. They also never really made any attempt as far as I could see to gain customers from the sports crowd, despite the promise of a big screen on the sign out front, for example.

Where might they reopen? Surely not bang in the city centre with its extortionate rents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Ravelleman wrote: »
    I don't think so. There are so many factors at play, with location perhaps being the most obvious. They also never really made any attempt as far as I could see to gain customers from the sports crowd, despite the promise of a big screen on the sign out front, for example.

Where might they reopen? Surely not bang in the city centre with its extortionate rents.
    D6 seems an obvious choice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Bit of both I reckon.

Don't rule out rent hikes, it happened to other business when they have perceived to be doing rent reviews asked for increased rent.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was rent related.

It just seemed to come very out of the blue altogether.

I dooubt if there's anything solid in the pipeline regarding opening up another premises, as there surely would have been something mentioned on Twitter about that. It all seemed pretty downbeat.

Can Mulligan's sustain the staff of 2 pubs? I know at least one guy was working in both pubs though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

drumswan wrote: »
    D6 seems an obvious choice

This is what I thought. The Taphouse is also quite lifeless so it would be nice to have another option there.

I think D8 would be a good spot. It's hipster heaven around there over the last couple of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I think D8 would be a good spot. It's hipster heaven around there over the last couple of years.

Thomas St could be good. Though The Headline is already in D8

yeah, The Headline needs to get established first I'd say.

Is there room for another in the CC, closer to Grafton Street?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,876 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

RIP
    Any time I stayed in the Skylon, I always thought Kavanagh's was worth the stroll for food and/or beer. From about 3 visits I could never fault the food, beer selection or staff. Thankfully, when in Dublin, I usually stay more centrally - within easy reach of The Black Sheep, ATG or BUll and Castle but of all those pubs, for some reason, Kavanagh's was my favourite.

Food was always awesome, and we always took people there if they were staying with us. Cousins, aunts, in-laws, you name it, we've brought them there.

I have 3 siblings, and on each of our birthdays my dad always brings us all for dinner, with my mam and our spouses. For my last birthday we went to WJKs. Just seemed like the right thing to do.

Food was always awesome, and we always took people there if they were staying with us. Cousins, aunts, in-laws, you name it, we've brought them there.

I have 3 siblings, and on each of our birthdays my dad always brings us all for dinner, with my mam and our spouses. For my last birthday we went to WJKs. Just seemed like the right thing to do.

This made me cry.

This made me cry.

I had a great birthday there in one of the armchairs. My OH's parents, who came over from Spain another time, loved the food as well.

Now that people are mentioning rents as a potential reason for the closure I feel more confident that they'll be back with the same staff somewhere else soon.

Ravelleman wrote: »
    I had a great birthday there in one of the armchairs. My OH's parents, who came over from Spain another time, loved the food as well.

Now that people are mentioning rents as a potential reason for the closure I feel more confident that they'll be back with the same staff somewhere else soon.

They did say on Twitter that they'll be taking the staff with them.

From that you'd have to assume they'll either go to Mulligans (split shifts?)
    or
    they've their eye on another premises somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

damn, thought the place looked closed last time i walked past, and now that, sad news...was a great place, just a tad too expensive all in all...i hope the off license next door stays...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

there seems to be reason to believe the place might re-open kinda soon under new management…even though, as i understood, nothing is certain just yet…

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

Such a shame, I never went there, was really looking forward to! On all my trips to Dublin though it just seemed a bit out of the way for the casual tourist. If I was on my own, grand, but when you're with someone who isn't obsessed with beer...
    Someone already said they reckoned it was down to the location, and I think that sounds about right. Good luck to them though, hope they open up again somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Great place, but the location was unfortunate. Purely speculating, I would say the closure is a sign of that more than any other trend. Dorset Street is not really a great location for the young professional / neckbeard crowd who are according to my own studies the biggest target market for craft beer. Stoneybatter (Mulligans) is great for that, as is the SCR/Portobello (Headline).

Rathmines could be a good location for a new craft beer spot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

I would be pretty confident the pub itself will reopen but probably under different management and perhaps a different angle on their trade and customers.

hopefully the team have found a new spot somewhere and create something impressive elsewhere.

Advertisement