Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWII - QUICK BRIEFING

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

jmayo wrote: »
    Ah please stop it.
    I might only visit around here now and again, but I have always had a keen interest in history particularly WWII and find it sad that people don't at least have a basic knowledge of some of the facts.

And as you said maybe it was my background.
    I had relatives/family friends who had fought in WWII and my father had worked in UK during the war.
    Always listened in awe as he described watching the squadrons going out on raids or the experience of listening for cut out sound of doodlebugs, or funny moments like the night of an air raid when the guy he was in digs with jumped into a bath full of cold water for safety.

I guess it all made it personal for me.

And then you find the same people who are pretty ignorant to our recent history will probably be the ones laughing at Americans for their lack of knowledge of the outside world.
    I had been to Poland, where I'd gone to visit Auschwitz. My sister ( 35yrs ) had never heard of it when I mentioned where I'd been.
    Really don't get that - my parents had me on a diet of reality and history books since I could read. The first books I ever read included Five Chimneys, Anne Frank and Alive (the Andes crash).
    Guess some kids just have no interest. But my generation ( I'm 44 ) were raised on action Man / Airfix / Battle, Victor, Warlord etc. We knew the history of WW2 better than most of our parents and are still addicted to the stories, movies, documentaries and books.

Advertisement