Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 to 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

OK - another week down.

Monday
    St. Patrick's Day - no drink but nothing much doing other than the local parade.

Tuesday
    Was going to get out of bed early but it was pouring horrendous amounts of rain. So I chose extra sleep. Other stuff on in the evening so didn't get a chance to do anything then either.

Wednesday
    AM: Run 8km in 38:57. Avg HR 149bpm
    PM: Swim 32 lengths in sets of 2BRS & 2FC

Thursday & Friday
    Nada.

Saturday
    AM: Dilbert Og Beag got a racing bike for his birthday so this was really our first proper chance to give it a shot. So we went for a spin. 19.5km in 1:05 - avg. 18km/hr. Avg HR 111bpm, avg cadence 83rpm.
    AM: Pretty much straight off the bike and out for a run. Legs felt funny for the first few hundred metres but ok after that. Felt good. 16.6km in 1:24 - avg 5:04/km. Avg HR 147bpm.

Sunday
    AM: First spin of the year with the touring group of the local cycling club. Just over 68km (my longest cycle yet) in 3:09. Avg HR 118bpm, avg cadence 83rpm. Felt grand, legs & lungs were well comfortable. Saddle soreness wasn't even too bad. :o TBH the pace was a bit low for my liking but the faster group did an extra 30km in the same time :eek:, so I'm not ready for that just yet. Later in the season there may be an intermediate group that pushes on a bit further and faster so I'll look forward to that.
    PM: Swim with the kids. 64 lengths (2x BRS + 2xFC sets) + 3 widths = 1624m - so that none of the imperialists can argue that I didn't complete one of their old-fashioned miles for the first time.

Overall
    Not a bad week - 6 sessions: 2S, 2B, 2R. Need to do more R if I have any illusions of doing any significant distances later in the year. But sure we'll see. I only decided to run DCM13 the day before so it's a bit early to be deciding yet.

Oops - nearly forgot the updated graph. Getting a bit cluttered now so might have to revise the format. Again.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Well done on the cycling distance. Give me a shout if you fancy some company some weekend.

Hmmm

Monday: Nada

Tuesday AM: Kettlebell circuit

Wednesday PM: Run 14km in 1:09 incl. 2x3000m @5k pace, avg pace 4:56/km, avg HR 152bpm. Glutes & hamstrings in ribbons all day from kettlebells. :mad:

Thursday: Nada

Friday PM: Run 10.33km in 54:19 - 5:15/km, avg HR 139bpm. Absolutely chucking it down all the way. :mad: Glutes & hamstrings still in bloody ribbons. :mad::mad:

Saturday PM: Run 16.1km in 1:29, avg HR 132bpm, avg pace 5:31/km. Pi$$ing rain again. Only set out just after six, so despite a late lunch I was starting to be hungry and it made me run not very well.

Sunday: AM - Club cycle. 64.3km in 2:36, avg speed 24.6km/hr, avg HR 113bpm, avg cadence. 76.9RPM

PM - Got home from spin, had a cup of tea and brought Dilbert Óg out on his bike. Another 16.6km in 45mins odd. Avg speed 21.9km/hr, avg HR 117bpm, avg cadence: 79RPM.

Didn't get near the pool at all obviously. :( What's more the pool has been booked up every Tuesday evening (the only evening I'm in Wexford town) now for a few weeks. Furthermore next weekend it's closed on Saturday, so I have to make it there on Sunday. Still waiting on news of the roof of the local pool but I need to be making a proper move on the swimming soon. Of course the sea should be getting warm enough in the next month or two to be giving it a go but June 21st is getting ever closer...

• Advertisement

Bit of updating to do here - 2 weeks without a screed of news.

Monday 31/3
    8km run in 45:16, avg speed 5:40/km, avg HR 130bpm. No particular stand-out memories of this.

Wednesday 2/4
    Run 12.89km. Watch dead so borrowed Mrs. D's, so no HR data. Warmed up with kms of 5:05, 5:12, 5:06 & 4:52. Attempted 6km of (what I calculated in my head to be) 10m pace then with 4:22, 4:28, 4:17, 4:34, 4:21, 4:36. Then 5:44, 5:14, 5:02 for remaining 2.89kms.

Sunday 6/4
    After a few days of inactivity (why, I can't remember now) myself and Mrs. D attempted to run the 2nd half of the DCM route. New watch, although fully charged the night before was fully dead so just had Mrs D's, so no HR data again.

We got the route mostly right but accidentally diverted one section around Rathgar (we both agreed to go right but it should have been left) and one other section, Roebuck (heartbreak) hill (I was sure it right, it was actually left). We got as far as Haddington Road and then followed the canal back to Harold's Cross, before diverting up to the MIL's. Coming up to the Luas bridge we were hit by the worst shower of rain I've run in a long time, accompanied by a savage head-wind. We were soaked to the skin and started to get cold pretty quickly. All told we knocked 23.6km out of this in 2:05.

Monday 7/4
    Unspectacular 8km in 40:30, avg HR 139bpm.

Wednesday 9/4
    Run 14.03km in 1:04, avg HR 149. This included a 4km warmup followed by 3x1km @5k pace (4.11, 4.01, 3.50) with 1km @PMP in between (4.53, 4.51). Shortly after I got to the local track and put in 3x300m @3k pace (1:04, 1:03, 1:03) with 2x150m jog in between (0:45, 0:50). Just over 3k home then to cool down (avg 5:35/km, avg HR 150)

Thursday 10/4
    Crowd from work are doing Hell & Back in June as a charity fundraiser - I'm now 3rd reserve (was 7th) so in with a chance of doing it. To keep everyone's minds focussed on getting ready, they organised a fortnightly running time trial on a route around town. Basically 5.8km - first 3km uphill, remainder downhill. Jogged down (1.9km downhill in 8:17 to warm up, avg HR 152bpm).

Swore it wasn't going to become a pi$$ing contest till the other experienced runner in the group took off. What was I to do but keep up? Lost him going up the hills (they're all around my home, he's used to flatter terrain) but he passed me on the downhill and I didn't put in too much effort to catch him. Got home second in 24:46, 16s behind him (avg HR 170bpm). Will be a handicapped time trial from here on.

Had an idea for another route through the woods so ran it on the way home. Took me another 6.28km to get home (in 34.18, avg HR 159bpm), for a total of about 14km. Was on my knees by the time I got home - empty stomach, not enough sleep the night before - not a good combination.

Saturday 12/04
    Short cycle with Dilbert Óg - 12.13km in 37.14. Avg speed: 19.5km/hr, avg cadence: 60rpm. Brought old HR strap and it wouldn't pair with new (replacement) watch, so no HR data.

Run: 19.3km in 1:44. The worst, most horrible run I've had in a good while. After 3km I was feeling dizzy and having visual disturbance. Crap night of sleep the night before plus being a wee bit hungry were to blame - something like always happens if I'm tired. Was also thirsty but didn't bring money to buy a drink. :mad: Stopped for a few mins and then resumed and was ok. Passing a friend's house and stopped in for a few mins to see how his car rebuild was going - very well as it happens - and struggled home into a strong headwind. Avg pace: 5:22/km, avg HR 133bpm.

Sunday 13/04
    Skipped watching the London Marathon to take in a club cycle. They now have a middle-paced group between the racers and the more leisurely tourers so I joined them. Went to Hook Lighthouse (41.2km, avg 26km/h, 75rpm, 124bpm) , had coffee and a scone, then headed back. I was going to see Dilbert Óg at a T&F meeting in Waterford so got the ferry to Passage East and completed the 36.2km @24.2km/hr, 79rpm, 133bpm. The original plan was to get a swim in at the nearby pool and fire the bike in the car for a lift home. Decided to bin the swim (despite badly needing it) and cycle home. So that was 29km @25.1km/hr, 81rpm, 132bpm. Total of 106.5km - my first time over 100km in a day so someting I'm pretty happy about.

The glaring deficiency is the swimming. The one night of the week that I'm in Wexford the local pool has been block booked for the last few weeks - looks free this coming week though so might make that. I was away last weekend so didn't get to swim then either. June 21st is coming so I need to get the finger out. Happy with the running and cycling this week though so all-in-all it's not going too badly.

Another fortnight with no update so here goes:

Monday 14/04
    Run 8.03km, avg pace:5:20/km

Tuesday 15/04
    Swim 48 lengths. Totally knackered.

Wednesday 16/04
    Progression run - 14.46km total - 15 min @ 5:20, 10 min @5:00, 10 min @ 4:40, 10 min @4:20, 5 min @ 4:00/km (all target paces ±0:10), then jog home.

Thursday and Friday
    Nothing. Working from before 8:30 till after midnight both days. :mad:

Saturday
    No training. Funeral of a man from town who was a founder member of our multiple world-championship-winning pipe band. He was a lovely gentleman and will be sadly missed by many, not least musicians, young and old, from near and far. RIP Nick.

Sunday 20/04
    Cycle 70.55km in 2:50. Average speed 24.9km/hr, avg HR 125bpm. No cadence data - battery in sensor was dead.

Monday 21/04
    We went to the St. Senans Open T&F meeting in Kilmacow. Brought the gear and instead of using it for the 3k senior men's race I drove as far as the end of the Waterford bypass (Rhu Glenn end), left the car to Mrs. D & the little D's and ran home. 19km in 1:39, avg pace 5:13/km, avg HR 136bpm.

Tuesday 22/04
    Off work this week so myself and Dilbert Óg went for a cycle. Home to Duncannon & back - 52km in 2:38. Avg speed was around 19.6km/hr which was gentle enough for me but pushing it for him. To be fair he's only 12 and managed the whole lot with only a small bit of assistance coming up the N25 near home, which was very good going.

Had a nice run in the woods afterwards - supposed to be recovery pace but I was enjoying myself so ran 8.72km in 46:14 (5:18/km), avg HR 143bpm.

Wednesday 23/04
    Progression run with Mrs. D. She generally doesn't believe she has the discipline to do these so I programmed the watch with what we were doing and off we went. Plan was to run from LSR pace through MP to her 10k pace, so it was out at 5:20, 10 min @5:00, 10 min @4:50, 10 min @4:40, 5 min @ 4:30 (again all ±0:10). Total was to be around 23km, so a lot of easier running. Went well, we were ahead of target pace on all sectors, though the Tuesday's activities caught up with me near the end and I slowed a couple of seconds/km. Ended up doing 23.28km in 1:58, avg HR 145bpm.

Thursday 24/04
    Nada.

Friday 25/04
    Spent most of the day up and down a ladder cutting trees & bushes. Decided to forego a 5k race for it. Thought I'd be immobile on Saturday but thankfully wasn't.

Saturday 26/04
    LSR - just decided to do a HM distance - so 21.32 in 1:50 - avg pace 5:11/km, avg HR 138bpm.

Sunday 27/04
    Productive day. Started with club cycle - just over 63km in 2:34 - some nice hills in it though (between Thomastown & Graiguenamanagh), so average speed of 24.7km/hr, avg HR of 123bpm and avg Cadence of 76bpm.

Got home and changed into runners for my 8km run. Felt a bit strange for the first couple of hundred metres but then was fine. Was well warmed up so when I noticed the initial pace was quite sprightly I said I'd keep it that way. Ended up with 8.11km in 38:05 - avg pace 4:42/km, avg HR 148bpm. Was hungry after this so had lunch and a shower.

Then to Wexford with the kids for a swim: 64 lengths + 1 width = 1610 metres. Not fast or pretty but done. Must update my spreadsheet and see how it all looks.

Close to a month since the last update - where does the time be going? :eek:

Monday 28/4
    Run 18.1km in 1:35: avg pace 5:16/km, avg HR 135bpm

Wednesday 30/4
    Run 14.68km incl. 3.52km @5:00/km, avg 130bpm; 6.00km @4:28/km, avg 152bpm; 5.16km @ 5:09/km, avg 135bpm

Friday 02/05
    Run 25.57km, avg speed 5:05/km, avg HR 141bpm. Couple of incidents of sharp abdominal pains, most of which required me to stop for a second. Pretty confident they were just ramblers (wind pains, not beardy countryside walkers).

Saturday & Sunday 03/05 & 04/05
    At music stuff - no time for training :mad: Did get to talk to a very recent marathon winner and her charming sister.

Monday 05/05
    Funeral - lasted much longer than I expected. Nothing done.

Tuesday 06/05
    Life got in the way

Wednesday 07/05
    Swim 750m in sets of 2x FC, 2x BRS. Still resemble a harpooned whale, without the blubber.

Thursday 08/05
    Run 14.22km incl. 5.21km @5:07/km, avg 131bpm (track & road); 7.66km @5:05/km, 150bpm (woodland trail); 1.35km @5:09/km, avg 146bpm (road)

Saturday 10/05
    Run: supposed to have 27km with 16km at PMP. Ended up doing 28.34km @ 4:54/km average, 145bpm. Haven't downloaded the data yet but the first 20km were a lot faster and I suffered for it in the last 8km. Nice to blow the cobwebs off though.

Sunday 11/05
    2km training run for Hell & Back. Good fun.
    Cycle: 44.57km in 1:34:39, avg 28.2km/hr, 137bpm, 76rpm. Again haven't seen the data but I've a feeling my cycling performance was better than my navigation...:confused:

Monday 12/05
    Run 6.07km on woodland trail, wearing spikes @6:10/km, 129bpm. Led a training run for H&B with some of the team from work. Lovely and slushy in the woods today. Everyone enjoyed it - including 12yo Dilbert Og who ran with us.

Wednesday 14/05
    Run 16km incl. 5x1k @5k pace. 4k @5:08, avg 134bpm; 1k @3:56, 154bpm; 0.5k @4:59, 133bpm; 1k@ 3:58, 158bpm; 0.5k@5:03/km, 147bpm; 1k@3:58, 162bpm; 0.5k @4:59, 150bpm; 1k@4:04, 166bpm; 0.5k@5:12, 162bpm, 1k@4:09, 169bpm; 0.5k@5:36, 149bpm; 4:57k@5:16, 140bpm. Had to stop 3 times with stomach pains. Next time I do a session I'll do it before dinner.:mad:

Thursday 15/05
    Run 18.05km in 1:34:40, avg 5:14/km, 146bpm. Did this in the spikes in the woods. Unfortunately it was a lot drier than Monday and for that reason turned out to be a bad idea to run so far in spikes with no cushioning. Right foot feeling a bit tender after this.

Friday 16/05
    Cycle 32.27km in 1:34, avg 104bpm, 65rpm. Accompanied by Dilbert Og for this, hence the slow pace (he was working hard). Nice to get out though.

Saturday 17/05
    Swim 1600m in 2xFC, 2xBRS sets. Lovely but was hungry so started getting a bit sickly feeling.

Sunday 18/05
    Run 29.19km @5:11/km, 136bpm. Pretty much the same route as last week but a lot slower. Felt fine until about 2km from home when, running up a hill, the top of my right foot started hurting. Eased off when the path levelled out. Got home and stiffened up a bit - now the front of my left ankle is hurting quite a bit. Iced it and put arnica on it but I'm worried.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Sunday 18/05
    Run 29.19km @5:11/km, 136bpm. Pretty much the same route as last week but a lot slower. Felt fine until about 2km from home when, running up a hill, the top of my right foot started hurting. Eased off when the path levelled out. Got home and stiffened up a bit - now the front of my left ankle is hurting quite a bit. Iced it and put arnica on it but I'm worried.:confused:

Well you've done the right things straight away anyway. Fingers crossed!

Hope you get sorted with the car too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hello there. :) I hope your right foot and left ankle have been sorted, and hope training is going well. Have you got any races lined up??

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Hello there. :) I hope your right foot and left ankle have been sorted, and hope training is going well. Have you got any races lined up??

Thanks Double D! They've been ok (touch wood) since I tackled them with the grid so I just need to make a habit of that.

I'm doing Hell & Back (one of these mud running obstacle courses) with a crowd from work on June 14, followed a week later by the Up & Over Triathlon (my first, a sprint). There's a rumour that I may have a marathon lined up a few weeks after that but it's so far unconfirmed...:D

Monday 19/5
    Run in the woods with some of the H&B team from work. Took it gently; we have some newbies to running and I didn't want to flake it around. 7.73km @ avg 6:20/km, avg 121 bpm. Wore spikes for this one and with the rain we had during the day it was getting nice and slidy.

Tuesday 20/5
    Late dinner followed by swim - 750m in sets of 8xFC, 2xBRS. Would love to have plenty of time to do my swims so I could relax a bit but I always seem to be up against time, in this case chucking-out time.

Wednesday 21/5
    Run - 13.73km @ avg 5:10/km, 132bpm. Unremarkable enough but was wearing my older runners, which I'm blaming for the fact that my glutes hurt like hell when I got home (grand now, thankfully).

Thursday 22/5
    Run - back in the spikes running in the woods with some more newbie running team mates and Dilbert Óg. Another 7.63km @ avg 6:37/km, avg 119bpm.

Friday 23/5
    14km with 6km @10mP: 4k @ 5:15/km, 129bpm; 6km @ 4:13/km, 147bpm; 4km@ 5:04/km, 143bpm.

Sunday 25/5
    Morning run: Plan for this week was step-back but, having missed some in-between runs in the last couple of weeks I decided to step forward instead. Planned to do 24km, decided to do the same route as the last two weeks except in reverse direction, so I'd have more long uphill drags and short steeper descents than the reverse in previous weeks. This would have been just over 29km but I decided to do a small detour on the way to bump it up to 32.4km. Took another notion near the end to throw in a few PPMP kms - but it was only when I reviewed the data later that I realised I'd been close to PPMP for most of the run. 32.4km @5:00/km, avg 140bpm. Was nice to be greeted by my former running partner and erstwhile cycling partner UpThe19th early in the run.

Afternoon swim: Got home from the run, had a cup of tea & a bite to eat and then brought the kids to Wexford for a swim (and to pick up Mrs. D who was doing her LSR - 35km). Again rushed the swim but got in 750m in 2xBRS, 2xFC sets. Was a public swim time so there were several kids doing good impressions of Brownian motion across my path.:( I resisted the urge to push some of the blighters under....:eek::o

Nice to see my former fellow 2012 DCM Novice is keeping busy:

http://www.triathlonireland.com/index.php?id=107&nid=1772

Triathlon cherry popped in Portarlington!

This better not be the sum total of your race report. !!! ;)

Haha - long run day today. I'll hopefully catch up on the log before I hit the hay tonight, including some measure of a race report.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Well done young man. First of many. I echo what kate said. I have a packet of custard creams here and the kettle ready to boil....get going on that report:P.

S'pose it's time for an update seeing nearly a month has passed since the last one.:eek:

Thursday 29/5
    Can't remember now why I did nothing for the last 3 days but sure I didn't so that's that. It was probably due to work. 16km incl. 5x1k @5k pace, which went like this:
    3k@5:01, 132bpm
    1k@3:58, 159bpm (hilly)
    0.5k@5:04, 145bpm
    1k@3:51, 140bpm
    0.5k@5:08, 146bpm
    1k@3:59, 153bpm
    0.5k@5:00, 135bpm
    1k@4:05, 157bpm
    0.5k@5:17, 146bpm
    1k@4:05, 167bpm
    0.5k@5:31, 152bpm
    5.6k@5:11, 143bpm

Friday 30/5
    Steady run - 19km, 5:12/km, 132bpm

Sunday 1/6
    Run 24k incl. 19k@PMP as follows:
    2.5k@5:08, 129bpm
    19k@4:41, 145bpm (note this is faster than PMP but I want to train for faster than what I want to race, just to be sure to be sure)
    2.5k@5:03, 147bpm

Monday 2/6
    Cycle with young lad - 24.52km, 1 hour, 114bpm, 72rpm

Tuesday 3/6
    11k, 5:05/km, 131bpm

Wednesday 4/6
    Run 19.2k, 5:11/km, 132bpm

Thursday 5/6
    Cycle with young lad 24.53k in 1:04, 110bpm, 68rpm

Friday 6/6
    Run 19.22k incl 6x100m strides, 5:09/km, 136bpm

Saturday 7/6
    Run 35.2km 5:19/km, 135bpm. 1x gel, very warm, very tired. Ran out of water and sugar so stopped in a shop about 8k from home. Glad it was there.

Sunday 8/6
    Swim 30 lengths (22xFC and 8xBRS). Totally knackered.

Tuesday 10/6
    Run 15.5km, 4:50/km, 138bpm

Thursday 12/6
    Run 18.25km, 5:13/km, 136bpm

Friday 13/6
    Run 6.14km, 5:22/km, 129bpm

Saturday 14/6
    Hell & Back Apollo - 12km assault course as part of 30-person team from work. Myself and one other regular runner were designated as the team sweepers. This soon transpired to mean that we had to drag one particular guy pretty much the whole way around. Up hills he had one hand on each of our shoulders as we pulled him up. Even on the flat sections he had problems jogging slowly, never mind running. All this was fine because I was under the impression that he'd been training hard and lost 3 stone in the process, so it seemed he was doing his best and was just out of his depth. Rumour later emerged that he couldn't be gotten into the gym, despite the best efforts of his colleagues. :mad: If he decides to do the next one with us, I'll trample him into the cow $hit.:cool:

Great fun though and we're lined up for the return on September 13th, but with a 60-person team this time. Hopefully it can be agreed to split us up this time. We were staying over in Bray which led to me, most uncharacteristally, heading out dancing with the gang and getting to bed at 4:15. I was woken at 5:00 by one of my Baileys-fuelled colleagues who was concerned at me going to bed so early and she wanted to check on me. She's a mad Kilkenny hurling fan and Fianna Fail supporter so there are two reasons I was glad she only came half way across the hotel room before retreating.:D

Woke up at 7:15, which was the appointed deadline for getting up, get out for my run and get back before breakfast finished serving. Decided that a 27km run (Bray-Greystones & back twice) wouldn't work well on an empty stomach and 2 1/2 hours sleep so turned over and went back off.

Sunday 15/6
    No running done today. Despite no alcohol last night, I was fairly wrecked by the time I got home (nearly 4pm) so I binned it and had dinner and chilled out for the evening.

Monday 16/6
    Make-it-up time. Run 26.92k@5:14/km, 141bpm. Dinner when I got home.

Tuesday 17/6
    Run 11.3k @5:15/km, 134bpm

Wednesday 18/6
    Run 12.0k, supposedly with 4x1200m @5k pace but messed up the Garmin setup so ended up having 5x1200 sections.
    3k@5:06, 139bpm
    1.2k@4:10. 159bpm
    0.6k@4:56, 146bpm
    1.2k@4:06, 150bpm
    0.6k@5.04, 147bpm
    1.2k@4:04, 162bpm
    0.6k@4:57, 153bpm
    1.2k@4:16, 165bpm
    0.6k@5:27, 152bpm
    1.2k@4:28, 164bpm
    0.6k@5:35, 152bpm
    4:0k@5:21, 144bpm
    Evidently I was tiring fast as can be seen from the 4th 5k-ish pace (supposed to be 4:00 ±0:10/km but in reality I struggled for the last two). Made it through it though.

Thursday 19/6
    Run 15.2k@5:52, 126bpm - to, in and from the woods with some of the H&B crowd from work.

Saturday 21/6 - The Longest Day Triathlon
    Saw this on Boards a while ago - three guys, inspired by the illness of one of their mothers, set out to complete 12 sprint triathlons back-to-back in 24 hours, while making 1 sprint triathlon (pool swim) available to the public on the way. I entered shortly after it opened. To cut a long story short, the chap whose mother is sick ended up spending a lot longer visiting hospital than he had hoped so was forced to pull out. The other two guys didn't want to proceed without him so they postponed/pulled their longest day as well but went ahead with the public tri, with all profits going to LARCC cancer care and Irish Autism Action.

Arrived in Portarlington before 5pm, for 5:30 sign-on. All the formalities out of the way I got the bike together and racked and waited about fretting a bit. Spoke to a few other newbies, including some fellow weak swimmers, and found reassurance in that. Never thought of how to attach my number to myself so had no tri (or even gel) belt. Figured I'd swim in shorts and pull on the tri suit over them, with numbers attached. Then spoke to a guy about 20 mins before the start who was going to swim in his tri suit so I said I'd do the same, with the numbers attached to a cycling jersey which I'd pull on. Left towel out to stand on before I went to pull on some socks. Had race briefing and a general description of the route, which I forgot almost as soon as it was delivered (I'd no idea where anywhere was, because it was my first time in Portarlington).

Swim: was in Lane 1 (against the wall :() with 6 others, including a 10 year old girl who was on a relay team. Started the watch (in auto multisport mode) and left it in my runner on the deck. Took a few minutes to get going. When we did I was 3rd off and that was fine - plenty of space behind me and the guys ahead of me were fine. Started struggling then - the lack of swim training caught up with me pretty quickly. There were slower swimmers though, with one guy walking much of the section in his depth which was a stones. I let a couple of people through a couple of times (including the 10yo twice:o) and swam my own swim. Was hoping for the tap on the head and it eventually came, what seemed like about 30 mins later. Grabbed the watch and headed for T1.

T1: Fooster city. Helmet on. Helmet off. Jersey on. Helmet on. HR strap half on. Not taking the helmet and jersey off again. Feet dabbed, socks on, shoes half on. Shoes strapped, gloves on, bike down and off I go. Tried mounting the bike at the line. Nearly fell over. GAAAHHHHH. Felt like about 5 mins.

Cycle: Evidently made an ar$e of the watch - it seems to have put the auto into auto multisport by deciding when T1 was over (bike moving?) and switching into cycle mode. Hit the lap button and it went to T2. Hit lap again, now it thinks I'm running. Fair enough. Hammered it out the road. Roads were open, so the twit dithering at the roundabout did me no favours (apart from not knocking me off). Marshal looked apologetically at me but there was nothing he could have done.

Out the road, started picking off other cyclists pretty quickly. Legs felt pretty good despite my neglect of proper bike training in the last few weeks. If only I'd taken up UpThe19th's offer of some hill training - the route was pretty flat but still. Still passing other people but got to about 7km on the out-and-back course and started meeting the leaders (or the team cyclists, not sure which). So they were 6km ahead of me. One major junction and it was well-marshalled - right turn onto the old N7, down to a turning point. Long clear road behind me, could see the turn point a couple of hundred meters ahead. As I got closer a twit in a classic convertible car came up behind me and "mustn't have seen" my hand signal to turn right so he drove alongside and past me. Thankfully the marshal stopped and held him at the turn. Serves him right. Had caught another cyclist at the turn and he tried to cling onto me on the way back. I saw his shadow behind me and pushed on. He stayed with me so I veered onto the hard shoulder. He came up beside me, made some comment about getting a lift into town and then went ahead. I wasn't going to draft him so I pushed on and left him. Didn't see him then till after I'd finished. Kept passing people all the way back into town - only one car was a problem, dithering again. Shouted at him but he was oblivious. Into T2.

T2: Dismount was ok. Had shoes open but misjudged where the line was so the velcro had reclosed on them. Just clipped out and ran. Racked the bike, took off the helmet and gloves, tried to swap shoes for runners. Damn - elastic laces, should have got some. Fumble, fumble. Seemed to take an age.

Run: Exactly whose legs are these I'm running on? They seem to be attached to me but I have no feeling of control or connection. Never mind. Push on. After about 300m I was catching guys, who appeared to be barely plodding, at an awful rate. Then the HR monitor went off - high HR. Oops. Maybe the fact that you can't feel your legs is misleading you about your speed? Back off. More alarms. Back off some more. Cursed watch setup and failure to practise it. Legs starting to feel more normal. Push on. 1k mark on the road - only 1k? Then it was 2k, 3k. Passing people all the time. This is great - I'm going to stay crap at swimming if this is what it feels like to pass people! 4k, out in the country now, marshals at all the turns offering encouragement and direction - great stuff guys and girls. Getting into town again. I can see a bunch of people at the end of the street but it's only when I pass the tall guy in the organiser's t-shirt that I realise I've finished. Then I notice I'm outside the Anvil pub (I think they helped with the fundraisers). Watch says 1:30 so I'm happy out. No idea about the sector times though. Back for a shower and a change, hit the road home, dinner in Supermacs Portlaoise (for a treat!) and home by midnight.

Got the results yesterday by e-mail:
    Swim: 20:46 (about 2 mins faster than I'd have hoped)
    T1: 2:16 (felt much slower but can improve a lot quite easily)
    Cycle: 38:38 (happy with this)
    T2: 1:04 (again can improve a lot quite easily)
    Run: 22:40 (very happy with this, seeing my straight 5k PB is 19:42)
    Total: 1:25:24

5th placed individual, out of I think 29 or 30 individuals. Chuffed as hell with that but moreso with the times. :D Some easy improvements to be made. First open-water swim hopefully on Thursday with one of the lads from work.

Sunday 22/6
    Run 35.2k, 5:16/km, 139bpm. Quite warm, despite only setting out at 5pm (Mrs D ran a 10k race this morning so we went to watch - and eat the burgers afterwards!). Again ran out of water so stopped in the same shop for a new bottle (TBH I couldn't be bothered carrying 1.5litres with me when I can buy 750ml so easily). Took 1 gel at 24k but it was a real down-the-hatch effort to not taste it (black cherry flavour :(). Wine gums kept me going the rest of the way. I love wine gums...:rolleyes:

Monday 23/6
    Taper madness starts here. Got my new runners (thank you Parcel Motel). Spent all evening typing up my log update.:cool:

Whoop whoop!! Congrats on your first tri! And don't worry about that 10 year old little girl passing you twice in the swim - I'm sure you would have put her in her snotty nosed place on the bike and run. ;) Loved your report!!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Brilliant stuff :D The lycra suits you :p

• Advertisement

The lycra suits you :p

You've evidently never seen me in a tri-suit :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

Well done on your first tri, know the alds organising that one and it was for a great cause. Part of the reason you feel like you are going slow when you start the run is becuase for the last 35/40 mins you have been going around 30kmph. This drops when you start running and you feel like you are crawling along. Always a good idea to keep an eye on the pace for the 1st km or so!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

One more of us, one less of them. Well done, good bike and run times! (Only the chronically talented do a good swim in their first tri!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Well done C, sounds tough going but you did really well. And 35k the day after your first tri??? That's serious commitment right there!

So what's next on the agenda?

Thanks all. Joey that's such a simple explanation but makes sense - I was just miscalibrated!

No chance of me being described that way Oryx - but it's something to work with.

N the clue to the next plans are in the taper reference :P - back to Portarlington on July 12th... well there's no point being mad if you can't prove it! Hope all is well with you and the family ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Wow, fair play to you, that sounds like a tough race. Are you doing the 2 day ultra or marathon? Will look forward to the race report!

All well with me, my little lady keeping me on my toes, but looking forward to getting the runners back on soon.

ncmc wrote: »
    Wow, fair play to you, that sounds like a tough race. Are you doing the 2 day ultra or marathon? Will look forward to the race report!

All well with me, my little lady keeping me on my toes, but looking forward to getting the runners back on soon.

2 day ultra? Do you think I'm mad or something? (Don't answer). No it's the Marathon des Escargots. Didn't know the Stone Mad Ultra was on that weekend or... Next year's a "special" year for me so I'll keep it in mind for then.

Glad your little family is doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

How's the taper going?? Any weird dreams/unexplained injuries/doubt/fear/apprehension .... you know, the usual stuff

So far it's only a weird obsession with drinking water - everything else is just weird to its normal level!

• Advertisement

So far it's only a weird obsession with drinking water - everything else is just weird to its normal level!

And now a bus-load of demons has just pulled up. Looks like they're planning to stay the week too. :(

Advertisement