Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Net cost of wedding

Options
  • 03-01-2014 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hi folks wondering if you had a wedding costing 25,000 for 250 guests. Well what type of presents might you get and how far into the cost of the wedding would it go.

This is not for myself I'm not getting married I'm just curious if anyone did get married without 250 guests.

Variables like if your from a wealthy background obviously I'm just thinking about if it was your average couple getting married.

That said I don't mind any answers but I don't want to qualify it with answering loads of questions, just looking for a quick answer.

Thanks,

P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

That's like asking how long is a piece of string.

Assume each couple gives at least 100 euro.

12,500?

Some won't give a gift, some will give more and some will buy an item for a gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Melanoma

January wrote: »
    That's like asking how long is a piece of string.

Assume each couple gives at least 100 euro.

12,500?

Some won't give a gift, some will give more and some will buy an item for a gift.

Okay so I will try to be clear I know that its like how long is a piece of string my point is I'm just looking for people opinions 12,500 is one. I don't mind if people are accurate and would prefer if people just say from their own experience what happened. I know some people will buy gifts too. I am more interested in a ball park figure than definitive answers as I know there is no such thing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Our wedding cost more with less guests.
    I think we had 150 guests.
    The presents do not go anywhere near covering the cost of the day but we did not expect them to either.
    We wanted our friends there with us to have a big party not to pay so that we could have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Melanoma wrote: »
    Hi folks wondering if you had a wedding costing 25,000 for 250 guests. Well what type of presents might you get and how far into the cost of the wedding would it go.

This is not for myself I'm not getting married I'm just curious if anyone did get married without 250 guests.

Variables like if your from a wealthy background obviously I'm just thinking about if it was your average couple getting married.

That said I don't mind any answers but I don't want to qualify it with answering loads of questions, just looking for a quick answer.

Thanks,

P

My friend tells me roughly you get 50-60% back in cash. And the expect to be surprised who gives you what! She found a lot of people who would not have spare cash to be very generous and others who are very comfortable to give much less or nothing in some cases.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Our wedding cost more with less guests.
    I think we had 150 guests.
    The presents do not go anywhere near covering the cost of the day but we did not expect them to either.
    We wanted our friends there with us to have a big party not to pay so that we could have one.

I am sorry to say that this is not really answering the question that I have asked. Please reserve answers to actual amounts. So far people are just telling me what I already know which I appreciate.

Some people might not have gone over with a calculator or had time to I can totally appreciate that too.

I am only interested in those though that did.

So maybe,

Cost of wedding =
    Value of money presents =
    Value of other presents approx =

That's all folks.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,908 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Why are you looking for this information, OP?

Toots* wrote: »
    Why are you looking for this information, OP?

Does that matter? I am curious, I'd like to know. I suppose if I ever was to get hitched it might be good to know ahead of time instead of asking people closer to the time. I enjoy knowing things. I'm fairly mathematical. It would be embarrassing to ask someone in person and it might be hard for them to answer. Only so many people you ask would remember or have recorded it.

Please only answers. Why so many questions for a very simple question??

I dunno maybe :D I sound annoyed but I'm just trying to satisfy my curiosity. :)

Millem wrote: »
    My friend tells me roughly you get 50-60% back in cash. And the expect to be surprised who gives you what! She found a lot of people who would not have spare cash to be very generous and others who are very comfortable to give much less or nothing in some cases.

Thanks, I guess you can look at other answers in boards.ie for costs etc. but its hard to know roughly what the net cost would be. If assuming your maths was correct for a cost of 25,000 and I know circumstances so many variables but by that it might cost 12,500 maybe 10,000 if your lucky.

That is more than I'd though but I am not surprised either. Of course there could be higher costs or lower but this was her experience and that's exactly what I am looking for actual people's experience :D

I am sorry to say that this is not really answering the question that I have asked. Please reserve answers to actual amounts. So far people are just telling me what I already know which I appreciate.

Some people might not have gone over with a calculator or had time to I can totally appreciate that too.

So maybe,

Cost of wedding =

That's all folks.

In relation to the presents she didn't put a monetary value on them. She got an unbelievable about of wine glasses (all different sets) and cutlery. Oh and random pictures! She actually exchanged some of the gifts to the shop where possible.
    Costs vary widely for price per guest for wedding some people pay €50 some places go well over €100 per person and that is just for food and wine! One place I looked at was coming in at €230 a head ! (Insane) don't forget then to add photographer, band, flowers, cars etc the list goes on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

i think it also depends on the type of venue, cost per head etc. most people will give more money towards a fancy wedding where they know their places cost 70 a head, than they would for a hog roast in a village hall that cost 25

• Advertisement

i think it also depends on the type of venue, cost per head etc. most people will give more money towards a fancy wedding where they know their places cost 70 a head, than they would for a hog roast in a village hall that cost 25

Very true.

I'm looking for the average wedding average couple ANSWERS, if people give answers for really cheap wedding or really expensive I'm not really interested but its up to people to use between their ears to determine that and I'm interested in answers!!!!

Just remember folks if your reading I don't care about anything but answers involving money cause other factors I already know but can't write a 20,000 word essay going over every qualifying factor.

In any case earlier someone said 10,000 - 12000 net on a 25,000 budget which seems fair enough.

Anyone do a wedding (traditional, hotel, good meal your more normal wedding) think differently?? Remember its the net cost I'm interested in.

Other aspects like if you have a red carpet spend an extra 1000 on flowers etc not interested. I dont need to know all the details of a specific wedding.

A cousin of mine got married and it must have cost over 40,000 but he had plenty of money.

I'm just interested in the net cost people EXPERIENCE when spending circa 25,000 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

So maybe,

Cost of wedding =

That's all folks.

No.

It's a pretty stupid thread for a number of reasons. The main one being no one knows the answer. I also dislike the mentality of getting your guests to pay for your wedding.

In relation to the presents she didn't put a monetary value on them. She got an unbelievable about of wine glasses (all different sets) and cutlery. Oh and random pictures! She actually exchanged some of the gifts to the shop where possible.
    Costs vary widely for price per guest for wedding some people pay €50 some places go well over €100 per person and that is just for food and wine! One place I looked at was coming in at €230 a head ! (Insane) don't forget then to add photographer, band, flowers, cars etc the list goes on!

Yea I have a handle on costs through other posts in boards.ie

The hotel I'd be interested in costs 54 euro a head for there medium priced meal package and it is a good package.

I guess most people loose track of the costs as they go and don't really count it all up so I know this is a hard question to answer but I feel there are people out there that can give me their experience the details of costing etc I'm not interested in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

He wants people to tot up what they paid for their wedding versus what people gave them in gifts. Only greedy people do that.

No.

It's a pretty stupid thread for a number of reasons. The main one being no one knows the answer. I also dislike the mentality of getting your guests to pay for your wedding.

Guest will not pay for your wedding but big difference between a 25000 budget and a 12,500 budget net. Of course its maybe a bit crass but that's why I'm asking it here. Its a genuine question and there are several variables but as I say I'm only interested in answers not being told my question is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

He wants people to tot up what they paid for their wedding versus what people gave them in gifts. Only greedy people do that.

I think s/he is trying to figure out how many people to invite to break even.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I don't know anyone who's wedding paid for itself with cash gifts. Its a silly way to budget, some people won't give even a card, others are beyond generous.

Sensible people budget for their parties,weddings included, and don't expect guests to foot the bill.

Maybe January if you don't like the question then you don't have to answer.:D

I think making a 12,500 cost on a 25,000 budget is hardly being greedy. That is to say if you greedy you would be making a profit. This loss making venture is about creating a great day for guests and having great memories and its never about just the cost, but right here right now in this thread that is all I want to know. That is totally not the case in the actual world where I would be far more concerned about other aspects and I feel bad that you are calling me greedy when I have only in my mind been trying to figure out a genuine concern about the cost of getting married and having some idea of what that would be.

Sure I just want an answer sure its a bit mechanical maybe so but its wrong to say that makes me greedy. It wrong factually in the question being asked and it would not describe me.

Its totally legitimate to want to know. Some people go abroad to avoid the big expense and hassle involved and others over spend and later regret it.

There is no harm, nothing wrong with wanting to know ahead of time. If you have lots of money fine but if you do not surely this is a genuine question. I'm just not at all sure any question on money to do with weddings and costs and the net cost will ever be something that is easy to ask but I'm asking it and I'm not greedy, I just want to know so I could plan for the net cost and its hard to believe that something that will cost you money would mean your greedy!!!:D

lazygal wrote: »
    I don't know anyone who's wedding paid for itself with cash gifts. Its a silly way to budget, some people won't give even a card, others are beyond generous.

Sensible people budget for their parties,weddings included, and don't expect guests to foot the bill.

I am looking for people to answer the question about what they experienced not to pay for the wedding ???? is this just trolling???

I think s/he is trying to figure out how many people to invite to break even.

No i am not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Its a bit sad to read such a materialistic slant on a wedding

I am looking for people to answer the question about what they experienced not to pay for the wedding ???? is this just trolling???

Why do you want to know? Are you trying to plan how to pay for a wedding?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

In that case allow 250x50 so 12500.
    Some people give more,some people give presents and some people give less but allowing 50 euro as an average per guest is probably as accurate as you will get.

I kind of feel sorry for anyone relying on money from their guests to pay for the wedding. They must feel under tremendous pressure to put on a big day.

I don't know why anyone expects others to contribute to their decision to hold a celebration when they solenmise a relationship. It costs 200 euro total to get married in Ireland. Any costs outside that are a choice, and referring to it as a loss making venture is bizzare. Its a party, not a business proposal.

Yea I have a handle on costs through other posts in boards.ie

The hotel I'd be interested in costs 54 euro a head for there medium priced meal package and it is a good package.

I guess most people loose track of the costs as they go and don't really count it all up so I know this is a hard question to answer but I feel there are people out there that can give me their experience the details of costing etc I'm not interested in.

My friend's meal was around the €60 mark (her wedding cost around €25,000) and had around 250 guests she said she got around €15,000 in cash presents which would be around 60% of the cost. Her venue also let her pay a big part of the bill the next day which was very handy as a lot of people gave her the presents a few days before the wedding. Her brother in law got married a year earlier (so a lot of the same guests) had the same number of guests and cost around the same but got less monetary presents around €12,500.

My friend's meal was around the €60 mark (her wedding cost around €25,000) and had around 250 guests she said she got around €15,000 in cash presents which would be around 60% of the cost. Her venue also let her pay a big part of the bill the next day which was very handy as a lot of people gave her the presents a few days before the wedding. Her brother in law got married a year earlier (so a lot of the same guests) had the same number of guests and cost around the same but got less monetary presents around €12,500.

Thanks a lot Millem, just goes to show that there is a huge variation in presents but the idea that say 50% might be realistic in planning the wedding puts the cost between say 10 and 12,500 for a 25000 budget.

Others might find it costs more than that but it gives you an idea of what might happen.

Whatever way it works out its going to be expensive but its no harm having some idea ahead of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Number of factors involved, how much they had to spend to get to your wedding, how well youre liked, when its on, how old they are, how much is family so theyed know your own situation and know you could do with the cash rather than wine glasses.

That said, the average as said many times on here is 100 per couple. You might invite 100 people and expect to get 5k if that was the case but you may get less than the average which maybe 4k

You may invite 250 people and expect to get 12.5k but end up with 15k as you get over the average or then again you may get under the average and end up with 5k if your not really liked and people have to travel from dublin to the backend of nowhere where accommodation costs 300e a night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Number of factors involved, how much they had to spend to get to your wedding, how well youre liked, when its on, how old they are, how much is family so theyed know your own situation and know you could do with the cash rather than wine glasses.

That said, the average as said many times on here is 100 per couple. You might invite 100 people and expect to get 5k if that was the case but you may get less than the average which maybe 4k

You may invite 250 people and expect to get 12.5k but end up with 15k as you get over the average or then again you may get under the average and end up with 5k if your not really liked and people have to travel from dublin to the backend of nowhere where accommodation costs 300e a night.

Why would someone attend the wedding of a couple they didn't really like? Especially one in the backend of nowhere!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

lazygal wrote: »
    Why do you want to know? Are you trying to plan how to pay for a wedding?

It's a touchy subject - nobody wants to admit they factor in the wedding gifts to the price of the wedding, but most people having a large wedding do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Why would someone attend the wedding of a couple they didn't really like? Especially one in the backend of nowhere!:confused:

family obligation? reciprocal invites?

Advertisement