Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A nice cold beer

Options
2»

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,487 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

We do indeed,next time I'm in douglas I'm going in there :cool:

:EDIT: Just realised they have an online store :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I'm a big fan of James Boags, a Tasmanian beer. I've seen it in O'Briens Kilbarrack and Superquinn in Sutton.

I'm not sure if it tastes delicious or just reminds me of living in Australia...either way I recommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Belgian or Czech beers are a safe fall back. Having lived in Prague for 3 years Pilsner Urquell tops a very competitive market for quality beer.

Turning to Belgium, Duvel or Leffe are great go to beers for taste and punch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Aidric wrote: »
    Belgian or Czech beers are a safe fall back. Having lived in Prague for 3 years Pilsner Urquell tops a very competitive market for quality beer.

I would always drink Pilsner Urquell when in Prague but have found the bottled stuff here not to be very nice. Not sure if that makes sense:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I got Innis & Gunn in Tescos this evening. Scottish beer. Slightly on the expensive side being €7 for a litre (3 bottles) but tastes good so far

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I'm on a crowded train from Dublin to Cork, having had a horribly salty box of ****e from Supermacs, and I want nothing on this earth more than a pint of Punk IPA...

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I would always drink Pilsner Urquell when in Prague but have found the bottled stuff here not to be very nice. Not sure if that makes sense:confused:

Sure it does, draft beer always tastes nicer. Believe it or not Heineken from the tap in Holland is very good, far removed from the slop you get outside Holland. Same for Grolsch and Amstel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Sure it does, draft beer always tastes nicer. Believe it or not Heineken from the tap in Holland is very good, far removed from the slop you get outside Holland. Same for Grolsch and Amstel.

Was in Amsterdam last week, it was pretty much just Heineken in a few places so I had a few glasses. Surprisingly good alright, I'd never have thought I'd enjoy it.

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Was in Amsterdam last week, it was pretty much just Heineken in a few places so I had a few glasses. Surprisingly good alright, I'd never have thought I'd enjoy it.

Yep, a welcome surprise it was.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

A Neurotic wrote: »

They must be keeping the good stuff in holland so for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Have become partial to Hoegaarden myself at the moment. Or if I've a craving for darker delights some beor Corca Dhuibhne or McGrath's Irish black #4 usually hits the spot

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Jacob Creek

I got that 'canadian' beer last night, It was 10€ for 24 cans, It was out of date by a few months, drank 10 cans, today I feel like death lol

I got that 'canadian' beer last night, It was 10€ for 24 cans, It was out of date by a few months, drank 10 cans, today I feel like death lol

It is awful stuff alright. My wife even asked me not to buy it again as she says it stinks to high heaven.

10€ for 24 cans???:D You can't have been expecting much

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Nelson Imperial IPA (Widmer Brothers) is lovely. Available in Superquinn.

Tavern Porter and Nutty Black are two nice ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Hobgoblin by Wychwood (in Tesco) - cheap and cheerful but a very drinkable ale.

Hitachino Nest - there's only two places that sell this in Dublin: Yamamori restaurant, and McHugh's Off Licence in Kilbarrack. Its a Japanese beer, imported so a little more pricey but only like €3 something a bottle. There's a sweet stout I'd recommend, and a white beer that's akin to Hoegaarden but way nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Anything I've tried by Sierra Nevada is absolutely gorgeous. Their India Pale ale is exceptionally tasty.

I know O'Brien's off licences stock them and I think I saw them in Tesco at one stage.

My sister got me some of that Banana Bread bear (I think Fuller's make it) and it's extremely tasty. Was skeptical about it at first. It's probably something I'd only be able to have one or two of as I found it's quite sweet personally. Works well as an after dinner beer.

Hobgoblin isn't a bad ruby ale. I'm not sure if I prefer this over Spitfire or not as I've not had the latter in quite a while.

Galway Hooker is a really good session beer actually. Can be pricey in some places but it's really delicious stuff.

My favourite old reliable beers are:

Brew Dog's Punk IPA - Really delicious. Think it's around 8% or upwards though and is far too easy to drink imo.

Anything by 8 Degrees. Seriously anything. Fantastic little brewery. Their winter's ale is top notch.

I'm not an alco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Even after all these years Furstenberg still reigns supreme for me, best beer ever!

Anyone of a certain age will know in the mid 80's to early 90's Furstenberg was massively popular here (in Dublin anyway) and everywhere sold it.

My first ever pint at 16 in some now defunct bar in Denmark Street just off Parnell square (used to serve under age can't remember name) was a Furstenberg.

It just seemed to dissappear overnight into the wilderness and never to be seen again.

I came across it in a Morrissons supermarket in England last year and snapped it up, someone mentioned Lidl sold it but never seen it myself.

Advertisement