Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A nice cold beer

Options
  • 02-01-2014 6:29pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I've been trying to taste as many different brands of beer as I could for the last few years. I loved the Tyskie for a while (Polish) and then drank Pilsner Urquell (Czech). My most recent one is an Argentinian beer called Quillmes. Seriously nice suds if somewhat expensive. It is currently €14 for a 6 pack of 330ml bottles.
    Have also gained a taste for some of the pale ales that are currently available.
    Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Belfast lager is my favourite atm,very hard to come by atm though and pricey at 3.08 for a 500ml bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Metalman Pale Ale. Delicious stuff

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Where can they be purchased?
    The only place I have seen Quillmes is Redmonds in Ranelagh.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

Metalman is on tap in a few places (Bull & Castle and Against the Grain for certain). Bottled ive seen in it in Sweeneys at Harts Corner in Phibsborough/Glasnevin. Actually id recommend Sweeneys for any beer. I've picked up mental stuff in there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Only ever seen in my local super value and tescos now come to think of it.Trying to source a few bottle atm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Quilmes is watery muck and is considered mass market and low quality over here. It's only really bearable if extremely cold, there is a slightly better version called Quilmes 1890 but it ain't much to write home about either. No great quality in the brewing process either. There are a rake of good beers from Argentina but Quilmes is slop and pretty close to the bottom of the pile. I'd put it in the Budweiser/Miller bracket of watery pish. Schneider (not the one you'd see outside of Arg) is a much better brew.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I am pie wrote: »
    Quilmes is watery muck and is considered mass market and low quality over here.

So have you anything to add to the list that is available in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

One of the nicest lagers I've ever had was Kokanee while I was over in Canada, but I haven't seen it anywhere since I came home. :(

At the minute Desperados is my drink of choice. It has tequila in it, apparently. Expensive though, €6 for 3 330ml bottles in Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭DB83

Brooklyn lager is the flavour of the month for me... think they also do an ipa.

Also tried a hawaiian beer recently which was pretty good although quite different... name escapes me but is made with passion fruit.

Great selection up in superquinn in lucan these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

So have you anything to add to the list that is available in Ireland?

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I am pie wrote: »
    Yes.

Well aren't you just a Helpful Harry.

:rolleyes:

I've been trying the different speciallity beers that Dunnes have, over the last couple of weeks. They have 4 for €8.50 with a lot of them.

Thus far I've tried Banana bread beer, honey beer, chocolate stout and alcoholic ginger beer.

The best IMO was the ginger beer though it is quite sweet so you wouldn't drink anymore than 2 or 3 in one sitting.

I'm generally a Guinness drinker so unfortunately I find most beers/lagers just too gassy these days.

Crabbies do some really nice Ginger Beer (Strawberry & Lime flavour and the Raspberry are lovely)
    Banana Bread Beer I always found strange for taste but then I tried Mongozo Banana Beer. That was even weirder :/
    I do love honey beer though!

Actually while I remember it, Ghost Ship have a nice pale ale too. And of course you can always go for Monty Pythons Holy Ale (which was actually better then I expected) :pac:
    hlGT4xk.png?1

Oh, and if you want to feel like you were kicked in the head try Delerium. They have a really nice pale ale and a dark one too. Found their strawberry one horrible :/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Delerium Tremens is one of my all time favorites (up there with Kwak) though it certainly has a kick!

Have recently been enjoying Sierra Nevada IPA, 8 Degrees Sunburnt Irish Red and O' Hara's Red.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

DB83 wrote: »
    Brooklyn lager is the flavour of the month for me...
    Been drinking it lately. Nice one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭burnhardlanger

BrewDog 5AM Saint.
    Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.
    FriarWeisse from the Franciscan Well.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭swapple

Mac's gold all malt lager

All Day IPA (Founders)

Maisel Weisse (although I haven't found this anywhere in Dublin)

Any Brew Dog really, but a special mention to last months seasonal, Hoppy Christmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Want something different to drink tonight.

Anyone have any suggestions on a beer I can pick up handily in Dublin. Living near IFSC, if that helps.

Will pretty much drink any beer, except Carling. But preferences that have been mentioned on this thread so far would be Tyskie and Brooklyn Larger.

Good few mentioned I have yet to try though.

Tyskie is widely available and reasonably priced so if you've not had it before it is, imho, the best of the Polish beers on the Irish market.
    Or if you want to pay a little more you can get O'Hara's Irish Ale. It is available in LIDL afaik. Or try any pale ale.

Alternatively go to your local off licence and get a different bottle of how ever many you will drink and report back tomorrow:D

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭swapple

Knex. wrote: »
    Want something different to drink tonight.

Anyone have any suggestions on a beer I can pick up handily in Dublin. Living near IFSC, if that helps.

Will pretty much drink any beer, except Carling. But preferences that have been mentioned on this thread so far would be Tyskie and Brooklyn Larger.

Good few mentioned I have yet to try though.

You should try The Brew Dock, they have a great selection of tasty beers, AND tasty food - http://www.yelp.ie/biz/the-brew-dock-dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Cheers lads.

Have had Tyksie before and definitely agree with the sentiment, nicest of the Polish beers.

Was in Australia over Christmas and tried a good few pale ales over there. Quite popular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Oh, there's so many good microbrews from here now. It depends what you like but the choice is much better than a few years ago. A good site for all this information is Beoir, they have a list of all Irish Craft Breweries as well as pubs that serve the stuff, and ditto offies that sell it. There's even an app to guide you to those places if you're ever stuck. :cool:

This isn't an ad, for Beoir of course if they want to pay me in beer I'll gladly accept. :D Seriously it's a good resource for anything beer related here.

The Brew Dock is grand, but I don't think they do off sales. Still, if you go in there try Trouble Brewing Ór Golden ale, and they also have a nice Helles (German ale, darker than a pilsener but lighter than a Dunkel). It depends on your taste, I prefer a maltier taste than something too hoppy, which means that I give something like Tom Creans a swerve usually. They are owned by Galway Bay Brewery and are sister pubs to Against The Grain in Wexford St and The Black Sheep in Capel St.

Of course, if you're stuck and you can get your hands on bottles of Spaten then that's your man.

OP, you'll find Augustiner in Redmonds - easily the nicest beer I've ever had.

The helles is the most popular, but they have a couple of variants to suit different tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

O'Hara's stout and Brains Dark Ale are my two favorites at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Flimbos

I was going to have a cup of tea, but after looking at this thread, I think I'll have a couple of these instead!

6XRLwW.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

OP, you'll find Augustiner in Redmonds - easily the nicest beer I've ever had.

I love that beer. I tried it for the first time in Munich a few years ago.

In terms of beers, I like Leffe Brun (Brown) but you can't really buy it here unless you go to a special off licence. Otherwise, I like vratislav (Czech beer), Paulaner and weissbier generally made in the likes of the Porterhouse.

OP, you'll find Augustiner in Redmonds

I am without car at the moment so am limited to the local Tesco Express which has an absolute dire range of beers (have been buying Harp).
    Hopefully I will get the new motor next month and will make a B line for Augustiner in Redmonds:)

• Administrators Posts: 53,487 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭osaurus

If you want something truly special go for Bourbon County Bourbon Stout. It's crazy pricey at a tenner for a small bottle but it's 14% and it's the nicest bourbon stout I've ever had. So smooth and just amazing. You can get it in Redmonds of Ranelagh or the Deveneys in Dundrum. Stone brewing also came to Ireland recently, amazing beers. They're a large craft brewery in California.

Other's of note - most things by Mikkeller, brewdog and anything by the cork run Franciscan Well. Don't be lured by high percentages either, jack hammer (brewdog) is a lovely beer and it's 4% or there abouts. Same with Belgian beers, chouffe, delerium tremens and others.

DO NOT drink good quality beer cold! I repeat DO NOT drink it cold. Have it room temperature. Big multinational beer corps want you to drink their stuff cold. It hides the flavour. Drink a 5am saint cold and have one room temp. There is no comparison, the flavour pops. So if you grab a good beer leave it warm up for a while before tucking in, or if possible don't have it refrigerated and just pick it off the shelf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭burnhardlanger

Fischers Helles too.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    You can usually get it in either Dunnes or Superquinn.

Ya tried my local dunnes,I've never seen it in there,not sure if there is a super quinn down here.Tesco's will be my next port of call.

Advertisement