Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Trader in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

OttoPilot wrote: »
    Hi, I'm going to be finishing my Finance degree in May with either a 2:1 or (hopefully) a 1:1. Only realised in the last 12 months or so it is not really maths focused enough to help me become a trader. I did some maths in first year which might help me but my leaving cert maths was pretty poor (D1, honours). I was thinking about repeating LC maths next year when I think I can get an A to demonstrate my numerical skills more. Would that benefit me or is LC maths too basic for employers to care? Seems like a waste to go back and do a more quantitatively focused degree now since it will take 3 years... or is there a one year diploma maths course that would make me stand out?

I have a job offer to be a fund accountant and they say they will support me if I decide to go for postgraduate study. So I was thinking about applying for UCD's Masters in Quant Finance since I'll be earning some money at last! I know this would be a tough route pt over 2 years but it would probably give me the best chance, right?

Also another route I was thinking of going next year was taking CFA exams? Are these beneficial to becoming a trader i.e. will they help me stand out? Thanks

CFA would have no definitive impact on becoming a trader. It would display a certain level of intelligence and work ethic though.

Fund accounting is a different world entirely. Prepare to have your mind numbed. And, they wouldn't support Quant, they would support a Masters in accounting, finance or doing accounting exams.

You need to do a lot more research I think.

@Ixus if you want to update the list - shelbourne markets had a trading position for a graduate up a few months ago, citi has some trading positions up in dublin, Paddypower has/have a role for a risk trader and sports trader. There's also a food trader position ( commodities ) a while ago.

I wouldn't consider Shelbourne's to be a trading position. Role would likely involve monitoring people's trades. I say this from knowing someone who worked there.

Citi- Am I supposed to go and find the link to this? That won't be happening. What role is it anyway?

Paddy Powers is not a trading role. Again, I say this knowing someone who has worked there.

The Food Trader - same as citi? ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭odd1

ixus wrote: »
    I wouldn't consider Shelbourne's to be a trading position. Role would likely involve monitoring people's trades. I say this from knowing someone who worked there.

Citi- Am I supposed to go and find the link to this? That won't be happening. What role is it anyway?

Paddy Powers is not a trading role. Again, I say this knowing someone who has worked there.

The Food Trader - same as citi? ??

What about Geneva, myriad, positive equities?

They seem to offer internships every couple of months

This sound like an awfull lot of bodder/bullsh1t lads,do all ye wanting to get into trading ,already trade a successful reasonable sized LIVE account ?
    It sounds like a horrible job lads :rolleyes:......

Maybe it is,but set hours and answering to someone else ,whilst only receiving a small % of the profits wouldn't appeal to me.
    Would you not be better gathering up 100k and and doing it for yourself ?

How exactly would an individual go about building a 100K cash pile they can afford to risk trading? Working for yourself, doing random hours? Sure if you could build that much to risk trading, why not just do that job? How long would it take to build that cash pile? Days, weeks, months,years?

I'll add to Odd1's question:

How did you learn to trade?
    How long did it take?
    How long did it take you to build up such a large cash pile that you could risk and not have it affect you financially?

Personally, I believe that companies I mentioned above provide a cheaper barrier to entry, with less personal risk and more educational guidance than you currently suggest. The option is always there to become independent once you've found your feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭arrowloopboy

odd1 wrote: »
    How bout yourself arrow? How did you learn

Van Tharpe,Livermore,Michael Platt,Simon Thompson,Investors Chronicle,The Motley Fool and 20 grand oh and most importantly Trading in the zone,if you havn't read it ,read it.
    I'm a 1 trick pony,FTSE350.for now.

• Advertisement

What about Geneva, myriad, positive equities?

They seem to offer internships every couple of months

I think all of those companies have rolling applications but will only start with a group once they have the appropriate candidates selected. They might take one group in the year, to a maximum of three. Depends on the size of each group and quality of applicants.

ixus wrote: »
    How exactly would an individual go about building a 100K cash pile they can afford to risk trading? Working for yourself, doing random hours? Sure if you could build that much to risk trading, why not just do that job? How long would it take to build that cash pile? Days, weeks, months,years?

I'll add to Odd1's question:

How did you learn to trade?
    How long did it take?
    How long did it take you to build up such a large cash pile that you could risk and not have it affect you financially?

Personally, I believe that companies I mentioned above provide a cheaper barrier to entry, with less personal risk and more educational guidance than you currently suggest. The option is always there to become independent once you've found your feet.

This is a pass time for me lads,but ,the more I practice the luckier I'm becoming.

The companies you mentioned also own you,and your time,if I wasn't successful business owner,the above might intrest me.

I'm still learning,i'm 35 and have been studying markets for 5 yrs,as a pastime.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭mono627

This is a pass time for me lads,but ,the more I practice the luckier I'm becoming.

The companies you mentioned also own you,and your time,if I wasn't successful business owner,the above might intrest me.

I'm still learning,i'm 35 and have been studying markets for 5 yrs,as a pastime.

You haven't a clue.

mono627 wrote: »
    You haven't a clue.

Have I not ? ,do you not have to turn up for work at a certain time,is your performance not been consistently monitored ,can you stay at home if you don't feel like turning in today,can you go on a holiday at the drop of a hat ?
    Explain yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

No, yes, yes, yes.

Working for a prop firm is one of the most independent jobs there is

• Advertisement

Have I not ? ,do you not have to turn up for work at a certain time,is your performance not been consistently monitored ,can you stay at home if you don't feel like turning in today,can you go on a holiday at the drop of a hat ?
    Explain yourself

What Idu said.

Mono how long. We're you trading with prop firm, before you traded your own account?
    Did it take you long to find your own edge

Tia

Mono how long. We're you trading with prop firm, before you traded your own account?
    Did it take you long to find your own edge

Tia

Little over two years I think.

No we hit the ground running pretty quickly. We were trading live within ten weeks. Everyone develops at their own pace and each class is different.

Idu wrote: »
    No, yes, yes, yes.

That sounds a lot more appealing than I was led to believe,i thought you started off on a par with pond scum:D:D:D.
    But I won't have to worry about it ,education ended a leaving cert level:rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭daheff

No, yes, yes, yes.

I would 100% disagree with this. Just because its a prop firm doesnt mean its free rein to do what you want.

Prop firms have specific trading strategies they trade. Traders would work within the strategy limits. They may have some decision making ability or they may have specifics they have to stick to.

Can you elaborate on why you think it is a most independent job?

What are you basing your opinions on? I've never heard of a prop firm that operates like that(though I'm sure there are some). Most prop firms leave their senior traders to come and go as they please and to trade in whatever manner they see fit

What are you basing your opinions on? I've never heard of a prop firm that operates like that(though I'm sure there are some). Most prop firms leave their senior traders to come and go as they please and to trade in whatever manner they see fit

I wasn't asking about senior traders,what % of traders in said firms are senior,and are the liberties that were outlined afforded to everyone that trade for said firms ?
    How long or successful do you have to be with said firms before you become a senior trader ?

Most firms would have a good core of senior traders, some junior traders and possibly some trainees. The liberties are afforded to everyone but most don't take the piss with it because if you're not in the office then you're not making money so you're only hurting yourself(Some firms pay a salary so they might not be as loose but I've never worked in a place like that so can't comment). Generally people who come in to prop firms are extremely motivated and love trading so the issue of people skipping out isn't a common occurrence. But no matter what level you are it it's certainly a lot easier to take a day off or go on holidays than it is working in jobs where you have to give notice or have a set amount of leave each year.

Senior traders would generally be any trader with a positive account. It's more of a title of experience than any actual responsibility within the firm

Most firms would have a good core of senior traders, some junior traders and possibly some trainees. The liberties are afforded to everyone but most don't take the piss with it because if you're not in the office then you're not making money so you're only hurting yourself(Some firms pay a salary so they might not be as loose but I've never worked in a place like that so can't comment). Generally people who come in to prop firms are extremely motivated and love trading so the issue of people skipping out isn't a common occurrence. But no matter what level you are it it's certainly a lot easier to take a day off or go on holidays than it is working in jobs where you have to give notice or have a set amount of leave each year.

Senior traders would generally be any trader with a positive account. It's more of a title of experience than any actual responsibility within the firm

That simple ?:confused:,its not that hard to maintain a positive account,with a couple of basic systems and disciplined money management.

any of ye care to share your interview stories

• Advertisement

That simple ?:confused:,its not that hard to maintain a positive account,with a couple of basic systems and disciplined money management.

The trading styles are totally different so it's more complicated than that. I don't trade a set amount of capital per trade.

Generally trainees coming in will have built up a down account from fees and trading losses so they have to earn that back before they are considered to be past the trainee stage

any of ye care to share your interview stories

Like what?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭daheff

Was this question asked to me? If so, I'm basing my experience on quite a number years working for one of the above mentioned companies

I've never seen a trader given free rein to do whatever they wanted. They would have basic trading strategies to work around (which makes sense that you dont have multiple traders jumping on each others toes)

daheff wrote: »
    Was this question asked to me? If so, I'm basing my experience on quite a number years working for one of the above mentioned companies

I've never seen a trader given free rein to do whatever they wanted. They would have basic trading strategies to work around (which makes sense that you dont have multiple traders jumping on each others toes)

I'd imagine there are traders trading with free rein, but not in little firms in Dublin,I know Michael Platt of Bluecrest gives his traders free rein,but when the lose 2 % of their allocation their monitored ,and if they lose a further2 % their gone.But I doubt we could compare any firm operating out of Dublin to his set up.
    I

I've worked in Positive and Myriad and it's nothing like what you describe. I also know for a fact that Marex, Tower and STA in London operate in the way I've described. In fact Positive promote sharing ideas and everybody doing the same trades

I'd imagine there are traders trading with free rein, but not in little firms in Dublin,I know Michael Platt of Bluecrest gives his traders free rein,but when the lose 2 % of their allocation their monitored ,and if they lose a further2 % their gone.But I doubt we could compare any firm operating out of Dublin to his set up.
    I

Why do you keep making statements/guesses like this? The reality is you don't know. For each statement you make, there are three experienced traders from different firms (Idu, Mono and I) to discredit what you say.

If you want to ask a question, please do. If you want to share your experience of developing as a trader, please do. Making these statements with no actual knowledge, either first hand or through someone you know in them, does you no favors when it comes to you talking about trading.

Do you know Michael Platt personally or, are you just going by your reading of Hedge Fund Market Wizards?

Prop firms have specific trading strategies they trade. Traders would work within the strategy limits. They may have some decision making ability or they may have specifics they have to stick to.

Can you elaborate on why you think it is a most independent job?

Were you a trader? Your post suggests you were not.

The only limits I have are the risk limits I agree with the Risk team, for obvious reasons. Otherwise, your comments are inaccurate.

Q1. Are you a senior trader.
    Q2 Whats your allocated bankroll.
    Q3 What do you trade
    Q4 Is your trading completely dicscresioinary
    Q5 Whats your average return over the past 5 yrs.
    Q6 whats your average r/r %

That's for the 3 pros here,Idu Ixus and Mono.

We don't know ye,ye don't use your own names,ye are anonamis

Avoiding the above with some bullsh1t answer like we can't disclose that info ,like ye are one of the original Turtle group, is a plain and simple cop out.

In an ordiarly fashion lads ....

Q3 What do you trade

Avoiding the above with some bullsh1t answer like we can't disclose that info ,like ye are one of the original Turtle group, is a plain and simple cop out.

Q1. Are you a senior trader. Yes
    Q2 Whats your allocated bankroll. Margin of 50k
    Q3 What do you trade Pretty much every futures market possible(equities, energy, fx, softs, fixed income). Don't trade stocks
    Q4 Is your trading completely dicscresioinary Yes
    Q5 Whats your average return over the past 5 yrs. Made at least 6 figures net every year
    Q6 whats your average r/r % I don't track it

Style of trading is very different to what most people's idea of trading is so r/r% and average return aren't generally things I take into account. For my margin I have limits in different products which allow me to trade different size in different strategies. If I lose the margin I need to put up more to continue to trade. I've never had this happen.

• Advertisement

Q3 What do you trade

1. Yes.
    2. None of your business
    3. Everything
    4. Yes
    5.See 2
    6. See 2

The point you're missing is this conversation is not a private one between 3/4 people. There are plenty of my mates on Boards.ie who know who I am. I don't discuss what I earn with anybody. Why would I with you?

That's the end of that discussion as far as I'm concerned. It is not what the thread is about.

Advertisement