Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brandy and Cigars: Off topic thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Knex. wrote: »
    Learned from a mate who's folks own a small hardware store out in the sticks somewhere, that you're required by law to have a tv license if you put up CCTV in your shop. Now that is robbery.

That is unreal!

What about if you purposefully rig your TV so it can't receive a signal and just connect it to a DVD/laptop ?

Still need a licence yeah ?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Grim way to start the day...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

There's so many issues with Trump, but I think the most concerning right now has to be that America has just elected a government of Global Warming deniers, in a time when the window to do anything about it is already closing.

That is unreal!

What about if you purposefully rig your TV so it can't receive a signal and just connect it to a DVD/laptop ?

Still need a licence yeah ?

Sorry, just seeing this now. Not sure about that at all, actually. Although, considering its now a media license, if you have a laptop on the premise you'd likely need a license regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

You're telling me, I had a vivid dream I missed a flight to the States last night, to the point where I woke up upset and disappointed with myself, took a minute for me to realise the alarm was blaring next to my face

So then I Popeye it up and one eyed go on instagram for some visual stimulus to start my morning and it's Trump all over the place, saw CNN claiming he'd won, figured US media always does that before it's official....then I saw they were all at it

So that cemented sadness and disappointment are the feels of the day it would seem

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Chumps win is akin to Leicester winning the league last year.

I genuinely cannot get my head around it.

When I think about it my brain starts swirling with random thoughts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The world has jumped to the right. Liberalism seems to be in the process of bring rejected in favour of conservatism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    The world has jumped to the right. Liberalism seems to be in the process of bring rejected in favour of conservatism.

I'm happy that things are beginning to change a little on that front, but not that, in the US at least, that Trump will be the face of it.

In this country in particular I would love if our parties could be more financially prudent. No regard given to whether or not money that is spent is spent wisely and is the return on investment adequate.

We also have a bit of a problem in this country where many feel alienated from politics. I'm a married middle of the road 30-something, went to college, working full-time with a mortgage and I would find it very hard to find someone to vote for if there was an election (despite voting in previous elections).

We also have a bit of a problem in this country where many feel alienated from politics. I'm a married middle of the road 30-something, went to college, working full-time with a mortgage and I would find it very hard to find someone to vote for if there was an election (despite voting in previous elections).

This - we have people who turn up once a year & ask for a vote and if you've a problem then you can pop into their office in town which is open for about 4 hours a week

I haven't checked but if a local politician put a card with the mediums of which I could contact him/her on, then I'd follow them on twitter/instagram etc. to see what they're doing, to be kept up to date on what they're doing for the local area/community, yet politicians in this country have a twitter that's a megaphone to throw out meaningless statements about how business is booming and everythings great. Rarely do we see realism or honesty in politics and that may never change.

I genuinely researched the politicians in my area for the last election. Even wrote an email to one or two, and was left totally disillusioned with the options. Ended up not voting at all.

Depressing state of affairs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

In this country in particular I would love if our parties could be more financially prudent. No regard given to whether or not money that is spent is spent wisely and is the return on investment adequate.

As a step towards financial prudence I think we need far more transparency in terms of how the public purse is spent, to include a full list of all positions, the salaries paid, and the roles performed in return, inclusive of names for those above a certain multiple of the average industrial wage. Similarly, for all goods and services, which company was paid how much public money for what. Could be paranoia but I get the feeling there is a massive amount of dead wood in the system, that the tax payer gets miserable value for the taxes they pay, and that much of the public purse is pissed up against the wall.

Some more upbeat news rather than Trump.

Missus STN is pregnant!

:D

17.5 weeks gone so due mid April.

We were in this morning for an early anatomy scan.

So far so good and everything is developing normally.

Massive relief after everything we went through over the last 12 months.

We have decided we aren't going to find out the sex but are both convinced its a boy.

I don't care either way tbh, once its born healthy and mother gets through the pregnancy and birth OK then its all good.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Conratz, to your good self, Missus Nutz, and any future Nutletz.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,777 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Congrats Nutzz, you rascal!
    No better buachailll !!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Congrats :) Donald would seem to be a suitable name.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Congratulations :)

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Congrats :) Donald would seem to be a suitable name.

Hah, can you imagine!

We have a few ideas for either gender, nothing too mental. I know some people that have given their recent kids names from TV shows, a couple of lads that called their sons Jackson (I'm assuming from Sons of Anarchy) and a girl who called her son Mason. I believe Mason is a kardashian child.

Different strokes for different folks I guess but it wouldn't be for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,777 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Here's Donny!

Some more upbeat news rather than Trump.

Missus STN is pregnant!

:D

17.5 weeks gone so due mid April.

We were in this morning for an early anatomy scan.

So far so good and everything is developing normally.

Massive relief after everything we went through over the last 12 months.

We have decided we aren't going to find out the sex but are both convinced its a boy.

I don't care either way tbh, once its born healthy and mother gets through the pregnancy and birth OK then its all good.

Congratulations you magnificent bastard :)

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

Congratulations, good sir. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nice one! Congrats to both of you. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,934 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Congrats big man! Well done!

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

Huge congrats Saul! Better stock up on sleep now while you still can!

Should have heard my class talking about it, clearly parroting their parents. One told me "she's only with him for his money" and another chimes in with "what does that mean teacher?".

Let's not go down that road kids...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,341 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Job going to make you old and wise, BK?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

Well they asked was I 40 a while back... so yes, old at least. Dunno about wise!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Kids have such an untapped supply of wisdom.

I need to find something else to read during the quiet periods during the day. If I keep reading Guardian & Economist articles on Trump I'm going to dissolve.

How were the weekends folks?

Currently making a comedown playlist on Spotify for myself, lashings of Bob Dylan in it, was up til 9am with the McGregor fight, 100% worth it though, great card

I've two albums on repeat today that are helping me ease back into it.

Black Sands - Bonobo
    Bon Iver - 22, A Million

I can't tell you how much they help.

D'Agger wrote: »
    How were the weekends folks?

Good. Was in Vienna for Ireland v Austria. A succesful weekend all in all.
    Probably drank slightly more than a normal weekend

• Advertisement

What did you make of Vienna, PR?

A friend of mine spent a weekend there before, whilst touring some of Europe, and thought it was one of his favourite places that he visited. Beautiful city, by all accounts.

Advertisement