Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de Conamara 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mountclare4

there is a Failte Ireland office in Clifden that can give you information and visitconnemara.com

they have plenty of accommodation but I know that some places were booked out since mid march

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

there is a Failte Ireland office in Clifden that can give you information and visitconnemara.com

they have plenty of accommodation but I know that some places were booked out since mid march

Since mid march? Nooo :( I'll get on it soon so

Don't forget vintage competition this year and this years all finishers will receive the Silver Cog finishers medal. Over a week left to register www.tourdeconamara.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

Don't forget vintage competition this year and this years all finishers will receive the Silver Cog finishers medal. Over a week left to register www.tourdeconamara.com

Just wondering about the Vintage thing? Do you just turn up or do you need to make yourself known to the judges/organisers. How does it work on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I got an email this morning from the organisers with more info about the event:
    What you need to know

Sign On- you have the following options to sign on
    1. Friday – Monaghan’s SKODA Garage, Tuam Road, Galway City . (SKODA Pasta Party) – 5.00pm to 8.00 pm
    2. Friday - Clifden Station House Hotel – 7.00pm -9.00 pm
    3. Saturday - Clifden Station House Hotel from 7.30am to 9.15am

Event ID – All cyclists will receive a wristband at sign on. If you do not have a wristband you will not gain access to the feed stations or receive a medal at the finish.

The event starts and finishes at the Clifden Station House Hotel.
    140km starts at 9.30am and the 80km starts at 8.00am

If you registered on time (on or before April 30th) to receive an event jacket they will be distributed at sign on along with PowerBar goodies. All participants will receive complementary PowerBar products.

www.alimaysports.com are doing a great offer for a sportive energy pack that can be posted to you or collected at the event.

All event information on feed stations etc. is on the www.tourdeconamara.com website in the FAQ section

It seems a bit odd that the 80km starts at 8am, but the 140km doesn't start until 9.30am :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭saidinmilamber

I got an email this morning from the organisers with more info about the event:

It seems a bit odd that the 80km starts at 8am, but the 140km doesn't start until 9.30am :confused:

There was a subsequent email from them.

LmyH5Gp.png?1

Screenshot 2014-05-21 13.44.05.png

There was a subsequent email from them.

That makes more sense alright.

just to confirm the 80km definitely starts at 10.00am - the 140km starts at 9.30am

the vintage competition is - assemble in the courtyard at the Station House Hotel at 9.10am for judging

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭quinlivan

I'm really looking forward to this! This will be my first cycle event. Really have no idea what to expect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

quinlivan wrote: »
    I'm really looking forward to this! This will be my first cycle event. Really have no idea what to expect

enjoy. this was my first ever sportive last year as well and since then i've taken up racing! :-) addicted.

bring good gloves cos i got a right freezing last year and its only promised 10-13 degrees this saturday with a nice cold northerly wind. if its rains on top of that then it'll feel much much colder. bring a cereal bar or 2 for backup and drink even though you think you mightn't need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,957 ✭✭✭G1032

thekooman wrote: »
    enjoy. this was my first ever sportive last year as well and since then i've taken up racing! :-) addicted.

bring good gloves cos i got a right freezing last year and its only promised 10-13 degrees this saturday with a nice cold northerly wind. if its rains on top of that then it'll feel much much colder. bring a cereal bar or 2 for backup and drink even though you think you mightn't need it.

What food and how much of it is available at the feeding stations?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭shamcfc

I signed up for this but only got an email with my Transaction ID is that all I need for the sign up on saturday morning?

G1032 wrote: »
    What food and how much of it is available at the feeding stations?

the stop at Carna was mental last year... it was so cold i had to get back on the bike and move onto the next stop at Maam X to keep warm or try to get the blood flowing!
    it was like a scene from a mart in winter at Maam with steam rising off everyone!

lots of food at Maam like cake, fruit, tea/coffee and sandwiches.... good spread.

always a good idea to bring food anyways incase you get the "bonk"... quick energy like gels or a cereal bar ( i love Clif bars!) are handy to have no matter what day you go out.

Do people bring a small backpack or a bike bag or what? Sorry for the naive questions but I've no idea. When I'm running I carry water and bring gels in my pocket but I'm worried I could lose them.

Also, how long do people stay in the food stops? 2 mins or 30 mins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭VanhireBoys

happytramp wrote: »
    Just wondering about the Vintage thing? Do you just turn up or do you need to make yourself known to the judges/organisers. How does it work on the day?

Yeah Id like to know this as well !

I took my beloved Duralinox 979 Pug last year with all the old team Peugeot gear ! No arm warmers no leg warmers and open crochet gloves - It was damn cold ! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

Do people bring a small backpack or a bike bag or what? Sorry for the naive questions but I've no idea. When I'm running I carry water and bring gels in my pocket but I'm worried I could lose them.

Did the 80k last year, hitting the 140k this year. Last year I brought a cereal bar (nature valley or nutri grain, something that's not too dry or crunchy), jaffa cakes (which I shared with a few lads at Kylemore Abbey stop as there was no food there) and 2 gels in my pockets. Ended up not needing the gels.
    Had 2 bottles of water, have 2 cages on the bike. Topped 1 of them up at Kylemore. Reckon a bag could be more of a hindrance than a help.

Be careful that you don't stop too long, you'll get cold and stiff, get something at the stop and git the road again.

You doing the 80k or the 140k?

The 'refuel' stop at Kylemore...... Is this basically just a water stop?

It was last year anyway

tacklemore wrote: »
    It was last year anyway

Grand, it probably is the same this year. It'd be some pain if I stopped thinking there would be food!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭saidinmilamber

It's the food stop as far as I know.

EDIT: Maybe not

From the event FAQ
    140km FEED STATIONS:
    The feed stations for the 140km route are located at
    1. Carna Community Centre (at 50km)
    2. Maam Valley Community Centre (at 90km)
    3. Refuel station at Kylemore (at 120km)

80km FEED STATIONS:
    The feed stations for the 80km route are located at the Cashel Community Centre plus a refuel station at Kylemore (60km). Please note that if you do not avail of the first stop at Cashel Community Centre, it will be 60km before you reach a Refuel station.

• Advertisement

Grand, it probably is the same this year. It'd be some pain if I stopped thinking there would be food!

I did think it was a food stop last year. We nearly didn't stop at the first food stop because of the queue but luckily we did. Lesson learned!

All in all, it's a good day out. Weather seems dodgy but feck that!

no need for a bag... weather is supposed to be cold but not much rain.
    a few bars/gels would fit in 3 pockets of a jersey along with a stuffable showerproof jacket. put the bottles in the bottle cages.

I'm doing the 80K. Thanks for the advice guys :)

Here comes the klanger... I dont have a water bottle cage on my bike. I only bought my bike 6 weeks ago. Better head to Halfords this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I'm doing the 80K. Thanks for the advice guys :)

Here comes the klanger... I dont have a water bottle cage on my bike. I only bought my bike 6 weeks ago. Better head to Halfords this evening.

Go to nigels instead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Guys.
    The Wind over here at tthe moment is an unseasonal Northerly and strong enough. You will have a long section from Carna to Leenane where it will be Direct/Crossing headwind . It will be helping you at the start so be prerared.
    After Leenane it should be more a help but its Connemara.
    Enjoy the day.

Esroh wrote: »
    Guys.
    The Wind over here at tthe moment is an unseasonal Northerly and strong enough. You will have a long section from Carna to Leenane where it will be Direct/Crossing headwind . It will be helping you at the start so be prerared.
    After Leenane it should be more a help but its Connemara.
    Enjoy the day.

with that wind keep away from the flappy jackets as it is very open crossing at Maam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Very slow outbound from Galway to Moycullen. Leave yourself plenty of time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭VanhireBoys

Grassey wrote: »
    Very slow outbound from Galway to Moycullen. Leave yourself plenty of time!

There must be cyclists on the road outside Moycullen :D

Great atmosphere at this event - be there early and soak it up !!

Enjoy Lads ...!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,957 ✭✭✭G1032

Man alive the wind is very strong here in Clifden. No day for shorts either I think. I might even put on shoe covers. Going to be very tough today.

• Advertisement

G1032 wrote: »
    Man alive the wind is very strong here in Clifden. No day for shorts either I think. I might even put on shoe covers. Going to be very tough today.

Just thinking the same myself. If it stayed dry, it would be great, one less challenge to deal with!!
    Enjoy it and the best of luck!!!!

Advertisement