Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de Conamara 2014

Options
  • 01-01-2014 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Registration is now open for the 2014 Tour de Conamara taking place on Saturday 24th May, starting and finishing in Clifden, Co. Galway.

www.tourdeconamara.com for all details

The Tour de Conamara is part of the 2014 Celtic Series of International Sportives including new events in Scotland and Wales and a return to the Isle of Man and Brittany. www.celticseries.ie for more information.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

is the 80km ride tough ? is there many grade 4 hills etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

signed up......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

cavan4sam wrote: »
    is the 80km ride tough ? is there many grade 4 hills etc?

There are only 2 "climbs" in the 140, both very doable, so you should have no worries on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mountclare4

The 80km is not hilly. Rolling and jumps up a couple of times towards the end.

If you register before jan 31 you can win a weekend in Clifden Station House Hotel and train on the route before hand. Register before April 31 to get a training jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

thanks i think i'll give it a shot then so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

cavan4sam wrote: »
    thanks i think i'll give it a shot then so

Myself and a friend did the 80k last year. Really enjoyed it. Nice little kicker of a hill at the end, but the rest of the route was grand. Had a bit of craic on the climb at the end with 2 lads who were walking/running their bikes up the hill. I was cycling and we kept overtaking each other. We're planning to return again this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Signed up for it. Bring it on.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

80km is sound if you have a bit of training done, 140km is more a challenge as there is a dirty drag from Maam cross and a nice little hill in the last segment. But both v achievable. 2 years ago the heat was cronic on the 140k, zapped the legs badly and burnt the heck out of people.
    enjoy it though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

yop wrote: »
    . 2 years ago the heat was cronic on the 140k, zapped the legs badly and burnt the heck out of people.
    enjoy it though

And last year were like drowned rats...

So this year should be perfect conditions... Right?

Grassy hope you are right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Paddigol

What are the training jackets like? - based on previous years obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,957 ✭✭✭G1032

Signed up for the 140km. Never cycled anything close to that distance before so I'd better get training.....

Does anyone know any of the organisers for this event or have a contact number I can ring them on?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

Will Monsieur Hinault be making an appearance this year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

G1032 wrote: »
    Does anyone know any of the organisers for this event or have a contact number I can ring them on?

PM the thread starter as I'm sure they are involved or will help to point you in the right direction.

Also you could try the website for contact details:

http://www.tourdeconamara.com/

I've emailed them before and they were quick and helpful in responding.

PM the thread starter as I'm sure they are involved or will help to point you in the right direction.

Also you could try the website for contact details:

http://www.tourdeconamara.com/

I've emailed them before and they were quick and helpful in responding.

Got a number after replying to the mail I got after registering. Cheers.

Just a reminder that if you register for the SKODA Tour de Conamara before the 30th April you will get a free event training jacket. There is also a draw for a signed BMC pro team jersey for all those who register on or before 30th April. Registration is already up 25% on this time last year so once they are gone, they are gone.

If you have a classic bike at home or some 70's or 80's clothing you can be part of the lead out of the event plus Velotec are giving best dressed vintage cyclists prizes from their new heritage cycling range. Dust off that merino jersey and old raleigh bike.

Registration and full details of the 140km and 80km routes available on www.tourdeconamara.com

Starts and finishes in Clifden on Saturday May 24th.

2014 event video on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_C-bgVT9XM

Also there is an offer at the moment with Alimay sports

http://www.tourdeconamara.com/alimaysports-com-offer-for-cyclists/

Buy a pair of Polaris Omnium bib shorts and get 2 free Continental Ultra Race Tyres

Strangely though I can find them bib shorts on the website

alimaysports were in touch to say the offer will now be live tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭silver campaign

Is there a team time trial this year?

• Advertisement

no team time trial this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭topcat77

Me and my friend cycled the route on Good Friday. We started and finished at Maam (was nice to have a long downhill section to finish on). We added a little to the route by going on the Wild Atlantic Way or WAW through Gowlaun and renvyle instead of going passed Kylemore Abby. The weather was fantastic and the day a great success. We had a lovely seafood chowder and toasted sandwich in O'Dowds in Roundstone but no pint to wash it down. I've done the Tour of Connemara for the last 2 years and unfortunately can't do it this year due to a 1/2 Ironman on the Sunday of the same weekend. The good news to all that have signed on is that the roads have vastly improved since last year. Due to the Wild Atlantic Way money has been invested in the roads. I'm not saying it's perfect and there are some rough areas but generally it's a much better ride. Good luck to all and i hope the weather will be as good for you as it was for me and my friend.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Might do the 80k. I think the 140k may be a bit too hilly. What's this about old bikes? I'll be doing it on my 36 year old machine. I have no vintage gear though so I suppose that counts me out!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭quinlivan

I'm signed up for this! This will be my 1st cycle ever!

Really looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Hotpants10

Hi,

Is this a sponsored cycle, leisure cycle or race can anyone tell me? Not interested in a race :)

The Tour de Conamara is a leisure event that attracts all cycling abilities. It is not a race and is to be completed at each cyclists own pace. There is a 140km route and 80km

if you are doing the event and register befor next Wednesday you will also get a training jacket. This year all finishers will get a specially designed medal. see it on the website - www.tourdeconamara.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭theKillerBite

I've signed up. Couple of questions:

Is it a mass start? The good thing about the ROK is the long start time window. With mass starts you might have a problem early on and get shelled out the back on your own for the whole day.

What are the rain jackets like?

the 140km starts at 9.30am as a mass start as does the 80km which starts at 9.45am

the jackets are shower proof light cycling jackets that you can shove into your back pocket if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I've just signed up for the 140km.

Now I'm off to mass to start praying for good weather :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Anyone know of somewhere cheap to stay for this? I mean really cheap. Are there hostels in Clifden and which are good?

Advertisement