Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Callan Kicks The Year

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Ended up watching the 1st 1/2 of this last night as i was sitting in front of the fire and didn't know where the remote for the sky box was.

This has to be the worst show i have ever seen on RTE that is post to be funny i was just shaking my head at all of it as i didnt find any of it funny i found it stupid and none of the people he was playing was he like who there post to be another poor poor show made by RTE that gets countless screen time and seasons.

Your man was Gerry adams sitting with your one ?. Most have been bad if i was unable to work out who some of them where trying to be LoL.

Also i had no idea who was doing the intro to the things of the year the posh guy who was he ?. Like he was stupid and not funny anyway but couldn't work out who he was as well.

Daithi isn't even hard to make fun of just sound like your from the west of ireland and your good to go :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

Your man was Gerry adams sitting with your one ?. Most have been bad if i was unable to work out who some of them where trying to be LoL.

Also i had no idea who was doing the intro to the things of the year the posh guy who was he ?. Like he was stupid and not funny anyway but couldn't work out who he was as well.

:
    I thought the whole country knows who Dobbo is?!??! he's on telly 5 nights a week!!!

I thought it was funnier and edgier than anything Mario Rosenstock can produce along with the dire Pictorial weekly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Its nice to know that the TV license is well spent on idiots like this. Nice job if ya can get it. No talent required. Just show up, get a slot on RTE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I thought it was great! Sooooo much better than Rosenstock's drivel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

I thought it was great! Sooooo much better than Rosenstock's drivel.

If you're comparing it to rosenstocks offering then a funeral would be funnier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

It beat the socks off Mario Rosenstock's crap. Oliver Callan is hugely under-rated, in my opinion.....

I feel the same, Rosenstock feels dated now. Also I think Callan is much better at not just impersonations but also at putting the famous person in unlikely scenarios, key example would be his portrayal of Marty Morrissey as a ladies man playboy who invites all the girls along to the 'Marty Party'. Callan plays him with this huge orange face to reference Marty's fake tan too which just tops it off. When compared to Rosenstocks portrayal of Marty Morrissey there really is no comparison, Callan's version has far more humour to it.

I reckon since Callan has been on our screens he's getting stronger and stronger, Rosenstock seems to have stood still to me in comparison.

I thought it was funnier and edgier than anything Mario Rosenstock can produce along with the dire Pictorial weekly.

He's defintely edgier - in the episode he had Joan Burton mention Denis O'Brien and I can recall a few weeks back where he did a sketch on Rachel and Darina Allen and their perfect, perfect life in Ballymaloe. The sketch satirised 'that thing we never talk about and that our friends in the Irish media never talk about' which was as close to the bone as you're going to get without RTE finding themselves on the end of a court action.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Ended up watching the 1st 1/2 of this last night as i was sitting in front of the fire and didn't know where the remote for the sky box was.

This has to be the worst show i have ever seen on RTE that is post to be funny i was just shaking my head at all of it as i didnt find any of it funny i found it stupid and none of the people he was playing was he like who there post to be another poor poor show made by RTE that gets countless screen time and seasons.

Daithi isn't even hard to make fun of just sound like your from the west of ireland and your good to go :rolleyes:

If you've never heard of Bryan Dobson or Mary Lou McDonald, then there really isn't much point in watching.

It would be a bit like myself watching a topical Lithuanian current affairs spoof show, and then complaining that it was rubbish because I didn't know who anybody was :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Just watching again now... anybody else... Love the way that he has serious swipes at his old colleague Tubridy... :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I enjoy Callan a lot, and just watched it now on RTE player. Much better than the Mario Rosenstock christmas special, while it had its moments (Christy Moore etc), it did not have enough material to fill an hour. If they had cut Rosenstock down to the half hour Callan got he would have had more killer than filler.

Kicks the year was genuinely funny for the most part. The Marty Morrissey sketches are priceless :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

mzungu wrote: »

Kicks the year was genuinely funny for the most part. The Marty Morrissey sketches are priceless :D

Anytime I see Marty Morrissey on RTE now I just can't stopping giggling inside at 'Martys Party' and the group of girls admiring his permatanned forehead.

Callan had another pisstake earlier last year where he called RTE News reporter Paschal Sheehy 'Plastic Sheeting'. Since then anytime he's on the box me and a mate refer to him as Plastic Sheeting :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭major deegan

Switched over to see it and he was trying to do Imelda May:...what a load of rubbish..cringeworthy stuff... Switched it off!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭justincasey

Fast forward six years still brutal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Biggest load of rubbish I ever saw switched off after 15 minutes and that was even too long, as if we did not have enough of Covid comedy it was not. They are showing a repeat again on Saturday night, memo to myself avoid at all cost

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Callan's stuff is like a sauce or a stew that is missing a couple of key ingredients. There's just something meh about it. He's a solid impressionist but the writing is pure transition year comedy sketch level type stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

It appeared to be a rush job that's was not planned very well. The Sesame street type puppet was the best of the lot. He went easy on Mary L and why did he drag Saoirse Ronan into it?

Dan.

Saoirse Ronan was the best bit

Disappointed that he didn't have the balls to cover CowAndGate

Hit and miss overall

An egg on a puppet suit as Stephen Donnelly was funny tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Radio5

The Claire Byrne piece was good as well.

Advertisement