Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Callan Kicks The Year

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭LOSTfan57

Ah Georgia's tits.....they are a staple of RTE comedy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

who was the last one locked away in the box at the end??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

fryup wrote: »
    who was the last one locked away in the box at the end??

Craig Doyle

I didnt get the joke though:confused:

Awful show.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I enjoyed Dundalk Abbey and then it fell off the comedy cliff...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

LOSTfan57 wrote: »
    Ah Georgia's tits.....they are a staple of RTE comedy

wasn't a total loss then :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

inthehat wrote: »
    Some fairly inappropriate references to not knowing where they're buried...I don't know how he gets away with it.
    Some funny Fianna Fail stuff in there too tho!

Thought both were acceptable myself but hardly funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Oh my god.. :) I cant believe the Gerry Adams stuff.. I think there's gonna be trouble over this..

That was a great sketch, comedy gold!

I wasn't expecting much but there were some laugh out loud moments throughout. He is not Rosenstock but he is decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

He can impersonate. But that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

That was a great sketch, comedy gold!

I wasn't expecting much but there were some laugh out loud moments throughout. He is not Rosenstock but he is decent.

Going by some post's I think they thought it was a serious look back on 2013, and not satirical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

inthehat wrote: »
    Some fairly inappropriate references to not knowing where they're buried

I would have thought murdering them and hiding the bodies was more inappropriate ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭LOSTfan57

Going by some post's I think they thought it was a serious look back on 2013, and not satirical.

Theres satire and theres ****e.......this was ****e

LOSTfan57 wrote: »
    Theres satire and theres ****e.......this was ****e

Granted he portrayed some politicians as they actually are, I suppose that would upset some.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dukedalton

there were some laugh out loud moments throughout

Care to highlight a few?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

dukedalton wrote: »
    Care to highlight a few?

Now now Gerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Doing how clean with your house with Gerry Adams was really cutting.

The Marian Finucane sketch about her pay and the same for Derek Mooney and his tits.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

The Craig Doyle gag was amusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dukedalton

Callan and Rosenstock are just lifting stuff Après Match did 10-15 years ago and adapting it for the Mrs Brown's Boys demographic.

dukedalton wrote: »
    Callan and Rosenstock are just lifting stuff Après Match did 10-15 years ago and adapting it for the Mrs Brown's Boys demographic.

:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

RTE + comedy = Zero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

I looked at thia for 15 minutes. He isnt funny and most of the time sounds nothing like the people he is copying

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

I'd say if Mario walked of a cliff Callen would run after him, Utter tripe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Caught the last few minutes of it, all I saw was 3 tits, Georgia Salpa's & Dobbo

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

It wasn't great but it passed an hour, the blonde one did a good impression of S Ni B

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Hes very good at Dobson to be fair to him. Easy see why he was the main character that held the show together.

Think Callan's problem is that he hasnt really a satirical bone in his body. Rosenstock is miles ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Never mind kicking the year i wish he'd kick the bucket

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

Actually I disagree with most responses here. I thought this show was rather good. I found myself laughing several times despite having braced myself for another RTE comedy disaster like Mario Rosenstock's show and Irish Pictorial Weekly.

Here there were really excellent, skillful and amusing impressions of Brian Dobson, David Davin Power, Sharon Nee Beolan, Marian Finucane, Miriam O'Callaghan, Pascal Sheehy, Des Cahill, James Reilly, Mee-Haul Martin, Lucinda Crawthump, etc with well-observed funny lines. The Dundalk Abbey sketch was amusing when I got the hang of what they were driving at. The Gerry Adams cleaning-up sketch was clever though not all that funny. The Ryan Tubridy and Tom Cruise impressions were good and even funny. The Fiann Fail pack in disarray was good too, I thought.

Not everything on the show worked, though. The Enda Kenny impression was not good enough and the Troika sketch fairly weak, I thought. The George Hook family(?) scene was poor with everybody in the room except George having balded heads stuck on, for some reason I couldn't fathom and stuffing their mouths in a disgusting manner. The President Higgins sketch might have been funny if they had left out that annoying little shrieking whinny they have the President doing which is neither accurate nor amusing. The John Kelly item (The Works) did not work well either despite its clever atmospheric introduction. The Daithi O Shea impersonation was off the mark too. The long Derek Mooney sketch was not very funny and seemed to go on interminably (a common fault with RTE comedy).

This was a one-hour long programme and, to be fair, it was clever and funny and perhaps the best comedy sketch show RTE have produced so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

I think it should be noted that it is extremely hard to write, produce and act out all of the sketches AND be funny doing it... I would be the first to criticise Callan if it was bad, but it was more than passable... A few hits and a few misses, but it was a good effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Shout Dust

I think it should be noted that it is extremely hard to write, produce and act out all of the sketches AND be funny doing it... I would be the first to criticise Callan if it was bad, but it was more than passable... A few hits and a few misses, but it was a good effort.

That shouldn't be noted at all. The funny should come first, and the rest follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

Twas ****e!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

As funny as the forum is relentlessly negative.

Advertisement