Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AGS and FIRE at Building / Compartment Fires

Options
  • 31-12-2013 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

AGS and FIRE worked together to rescue 2 from apartment over this Christmas. Well done to all involved. As is expected in most rural areas, AGS arrived on scene first.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/mum-and-newborn-rescued-from-apartment-blaze-29878010.html

I do have some concerns though about the actions of AGS at incidents such as this. I fully appreciate what they are trying to do but I have attended some incidents over the years where breaking down a door and allowing air to rapidly enter a compartment with a smouldering fire has resulted in a Backdraught situation. We have often wondered amongst ourselves at incidents just how much the well intentioned actions of AGS have caused a situation to escalate and made conditions worse for FIRE upon their arrival.

AGS are not trained to recognise the signs of Backdraught or indeed Flashover. Either event can result in catastrophic results with serious injury or even loss of life. Youtube is littered with examples of what can happen (Backdraught / Backdraft (US spelling) / Flashover searches). Both events regularly occur, especially with the changes to building methods and construction materials. FIRE are trained to read smoke, to understand what it means when it moves in a certain way, what it means when it is a particular colour.

Why is there not a training program for AGS, delivered by local FIRE instructors, to explain both events in theoretical and practical terms. It would only take a single day at most and would be hugely invaluable for all.

Maybe something for training officers to consider for 2014 training plans?

Again, well done to all involved but big concerns that someday our luck will run out without the provision of proper training.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

dfbemt wrote: »
    AGS and FIRE worked together to rescue 2 from apartment over this Christmas. Well done to all involved. As is expected in most rural areas, AGS arrived on scene first.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/mum-and-newborn-rescued-from-apartment-blaze-29878010.html

I do have some concerns though about the actions of AGS at incidents such as this. I fully appreciate what they are trying to do but I have attended some incidents over the years where breaking down a door and allowing air to rapidly enter a compartment with a smouldering fire has resulted in a Backdraught situation. We have often wondered amongst ourselves at incidents just how much the well intentioned actions of AGS have caused a situation to escalate and made conditions worse for FIRE upon their arrival.

AGS are not trained to recognise the signs of Backdraught or indeed Flashover. Either event can result in catastrophic results with serious injury or even loss of life. Youtube is littered with examples of what can happen (Backdraught / Backdraft (US spelling) / Flashover searches). Both events regularly occur, especially with the changes to building methods and construction materials. FIRE are trained to read smoke, to understand what it means when it moves in a certain way, what it means when it is a particular colour.

Why is there not a training program for AGS, delivered by local FIRE instructors, to explain both events in theoretical and practical terms. It would only take a single day at most and would be hugely invaluable for all.

Maybe something for training officers to consider for 2014 training plans?

Again, well done to all involved but big concerns that someday our luck will run out without the provision of proper training.

Good idea and something I wouldn't mind attending.

I think members are usually only going in at the early stages of a fire and not when well established. We are all conscious of our own safety but will do everything possible, within reason, to help if there is somebody in danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

foreign wrote: »
    I think members are usually only going in at the early stages of a fire and not when well established. We are all conscious of our own safety but will do everything possible, within reason, to help if there is somebody in danger.

I totally understand why foreign but your post fully explains the point I was making.

The most dangerous fires are the ones which are not visible, say for smoke, and the ones which are not well established !!

dfbemt wrote: »
    I totally understand why foreign but your post fully explains the point I was making.

The most dangerous fires are the ones which are not visible, say for smoke, and the ones which are not well established !!

It comes down to human nature though. Can you stand back and do nothing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭lighterman

It comes down to human nature though. Can you stand back and do nothing?

If dfbemt turned up at an armed robbery would you say go and capture them or leave it to the guards.

I think that's the point s/he is making.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

lighterman wrote: »
    If dfbemt turned up at an armed robbery would you say go and capture them or leave it to the guards.

If dfbemt responds to a bank robbery before the gardai, he may go all kung fu if he so wishes. Good point from the op but i would wonder how often the heroic actions of a Garda have directly contributed to a flashover/backdraft. This information would better identify the need for such training for gardai.

wexfjord wrote: »
    If dfbemt responds to a bank robbery before the gardai, he may go all kung fu if he so wishes. Good point from the op but i would wonder how often the heroic actions of a Garda have directly contributed to a flashover/backdraft. This information would better identify the need for such training for gardai.

If you look at most of the recent stories with the exception of the last one most involve a "passing" patrol car,not a responding car.

No one said anything about the actions contributing to a flashover/backdraft but would they recognise the signs one is about to happen allowing them time to leave the building or take action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

It's not easy stand by and do nothing and let people die. In rural areas the fire service response realistically isn't always what they would like it to be simply down to distances. I don't recall any members of AGS being fatally injured or maimed in a fire and while that may be luck it also shows a large degree of common sense when dealing with such calls.

lighterman wrote: »

But they're not turning up after the Gardaí. If they choose to intervene what's the problem? They see and evaluate the risks and act.

I'm not saying Gardaí should be running into fires and not bother waiting for fire brigades but if anyone is in a position to help somebody in danger do you think they'd stand idly by?

But they're not turning up after the Gardaí. If they choose to intervene what's the problem? They see and evaluate the risks and act.
    You know yourself.Everyone will be heros until something goes wrong then the great hindsight comes in to play.What training did they have.Why didnt they wait on the proper resources let it be fire/guards or ambulance
    I'm not saying Gardaí should be running into fires and not bother waiting for fire brigades but if anyone is in a position to help somebody in danger do you think they'd stand idly by?
    I agree with your point though.Any one with any civic duty in their blood would do something to help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭pauld81

Lads really?? The sooner the National Directorate gets the Fire Service certificates recognised through FETAC the better!
    Only Registered Gas Installers are allowed to work on a gas leak in a house. So why do you think that a room full of super hot flammable gasses (smoke) is any different? You would probably be safer entering a room full of gas!
    The problem is that soon the general public will think, if a Gardaí can go in and be a hero then I can too, who needs the Fire Service?!
    Yes basic fire training should be given to Gardaí, not just for compartment fire, but to a range of first response to incidents, ie: pulling casualties from a car that MIGHT go on fire (air bag dust)..

pauld81 wrote: »
    Lads really?? The sooner the National Directorate gets the Fire Service certificates recognised through FETAC the better!
    Only Registered Gas Installers are allowed to work on a gas leak in a house. So why do you think that a room full of super hot flammable gasses (smoke) is any different? You would probably be safer entering a room full of gas!
    The problem is that soon the general public will think, if a Gardaí can go in and be a hero then I can too, who needs the Fire Service?!
    Yes basic fire training should be given to Gardaí, not just for compartment fire, but to a range of first response to incidents, ie: pulling casualties from a car that MIGHT go on fire (air bag dust)..

The public already do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭kub

So you would prefer so that if one of my kids was stuck in a burning building that I just wait outside and hope the fire service arrive quickly.

Well my apologies but Mother Nature has other ideas.

If a risk assessment and training needs analysis were carried out by the Garda college, i doubt very much that anyone could make a case for training thousands of gardai in how to address a compartment fire. While the severity of a potential injury is high the likelihood of it occurring is extremely low. There are far more important training requirements.

In order to roll out training as described in the op, Garda management would also have to publish a policy and sop's. The policy would most likely state that under no circumstances should a Garda enter a burning building

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭truebluesac

I have seen AGS hospitalised following entry into buildings on fire due to smoke inhalation .

I have read many accounts throughout the years of AGS drowning or removed AGS near drowning following entry into rivers lakes etc

there is a hugh differance in what the fire service are trained to do and what AGS are trained to do , the biggest differance other than traing is both our PPE.

For AGS its their balisticand stab proof vests , pepper spray and battons

For the fire services its our BA set , our fire proof clothing and for river rescues our bouyancy devices and suits etc

We are like 2 sides of the same coin we co exsist but are different .

I have seen AGS hospitalised following entry into buildings on fire due to smoke inhalation .

I have read many accounts throughout the years of AGS drowning or removed AGS near drowning following entry into rivers lakes etc

there is a hugh differance in what the fire service are trained to do and what AGS are trained to do , the biggest differance other than traing is both our PPE.

For AGS its their balisticand stab proof vests , pepper spray and battons

For the fire services its our BA set , our fire proof clothing and for river rescues our bouyancy devices and suits etc

We are like 2 sides of the same coin we co exsist but are different .

You can have all the equipment in the world but if you are not there at the critical time you cannot expect people to stand by and let people die! If you were off duty as a fireman and in the situation and no sign of the fire brigrade what would you do?

You can have all the equipment in the world but if you are not there at the critical time you cannot expect people to stand by and let people die! If you were off duty as a fireman and in the situation and no sign of the fire brigrade what would you do?
    I wouldn't be a stupid testosterone filled idiot, who has lost all situational awareness and run into any situation that I will become a casualty, thus putting more lives at risk..
    What's the very first thing you learned on your first aid course? Your safety is paramount! If schools taught first aid and emergency response courses we wouldn't be having this discussion..

I wouldn't be a stupid testosterone filled idiot, who has lost all situational awareness and run into any situation that I will become a casualty, thus putting more lives at risk..
    What's the very first thing you learned on your first aid course? Your safety is paramount! If schools taught first aid and emergency response courses we wouldn't be having this discussion..

You seem to imply everyone else would be, most of us have families to go home to and the fact that no members have died or been seriously injured proves common sense is used, gardai are well used to making life or death decisions.

You seem to imply everyone else would be, most of us have families to go home to and the fact that no members have died or been seriously injured proves common sense is used, gardai are well used to making life or death decisions.
    Contraction much...?

Contraction much...?

How far apart are they? I know a guard who can deliver babies.

• Advertisement

It's great when all is well and healthy, but what about when it goes wrong? Is your mate trained up to date, qualified, registered with PHECC, etc..
    Also the legal side is a minefield when you are working professional, you might not have the Good Samaritan act to protect you.

It's great when all is well and healthy, but what about when it goes wrong? Is your mate trained up to date, qualified, registered with PHECC, etc..
    Also the legal side is a minefield when you are working professional, you might not have the Good Samaritan act to protect you.

I doubt a trapped family will enquire about your PHECC qualifications! Is it more down to individuals not like arriving at a scene discovering that someone else has done their job while everyone was waiting for them to arrive!

I doubt a trapped family will enquire about your PHECC qualifications! Is it more down to individuals not like arriving at a scene discovering that someone else has done their job while everyone was waiting for them to arrive!
    Ouch!! Think you need to put your tampon back in sonny..

Ouch!! Think you need to put your tampon back in sonny..

Very nice! Says it all really!

Very nice! Says it all really!
    Actually pappa charlie, you made a no point and just tried to be vindictive toward other services, which I viewed as just being bit#hy.
    If you want to contribute to this forum topic please come up with something a little more constructive..

Actually pappa charlie, you made a no point and just tried to be vindictive toward other services, which I viewed as just being bit#hy.
    If you want to contribute to this forum topic please come up with something a little more constructive..

In your opinion! Your previous post showed your true colours!

Is there any standard operating guidelines for Gardai regarding fire, flood, first aid etc...?

Is there any standard operating guidelines for Gardai regarding fire, flood, first aid etc...?

Protect life and property!

Protect life and property!
    Even more miss informed rubbish..

• Advertisement

Even more miss informed rubbish..

I sincerely hope you are not a member of the fire service!

Advertisement