Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three piece suit for work - Yay or Nay?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Ravenid

"Business Casual" is the most over used and overly vague term in Business at all.

I stated in a new job just before Christmas and was told "Very Business Casual".

Day One: A brand new suit (No vest because its IT), Shirt, Tie, Painfully new shoes.

Day Two and going forward after the same man who told me business casual said if I turned up in a suit again without being told to I'd be fired (I'm sure he's joking..........?) Iron Man T-Shirt and a pair of Jeans, runners.

Business Casual is a funny term aint it?

But if the OP is still uncertain dont risk it. If you are happy to wear the 3 piece wear it. Would you rather be remembered as the guy who turned up dressed well for his first day or the guy who turned up on his first day and had to be told to tidy himself up before he came in the next day?

First impressions always last.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

If it's a case of trying to get the wear out of the suit, can you not treat the jacket and the waistcoat as separates, ie you wear either one or the other but not the two together? Personally I do like a waistcoat, you might be able to casual it up a bit with skinny fit trousers or a pair of trousers which aren't part of the same suit.
    The whole 3 piece together might look a bit too formal or "wedding-y"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Ravenid wrote: »

But if the OP is still uncertain dont risk it. If you are happy to wear the 3 piece wear it. Would you rather be remembered as the guy who turned up dressed well for his first day or the guy who turned up on his first day and had to be told to tidy himself up before he came in the next day?

First impressions always last.

Its between wearing a two piece or three piece suit so no risk associated other than wearing a three piece and looking like a guy who gets his style from Chav premiership footballers

Advertisement